Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-01-18 3:13 PM
in reply to: #659691

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay's Group - FULL

CarolinaLaw - 2007-01-18 2:45 PM I realize I'm not necessarily fast enough to get a true benefit from aero bars

You certainly are!  Aero bars on a good-fitting bike should allow you to maintain a more aero position on the bike.  That's free speed for anybody.

And just ignore the smarta$$ comments.  They're more a$$ than smart.

2007-01-18 6:27 PM
in reply to: #625455

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
My scale has been steady, too, despite me noticing some nice changes in clothes fitting, etc. (And I only train 3ish hours a week -- still better than I've done during the school year in quite awhile, but yes, only 3 hours.) I think this Core Performance stuff will be good because I can do it during my veg out time.

I have so much to learn on the bike. I have a new Trek 1000 that's on the trainer right now, as I live in Minnesota. I trained this summer on my mtb with slicks, and occassionally on a friend's Giant OCR3. I guess I'll eventually get aerobars. My friend has them on the bike I was borrowing, but I was too nervous about the handling to use them. I need to work on things like, you know, reaching for the water bottle... I'm really not too comfortable on the bike at all.

I've been really impressed by everyone's training -- wtg group!!
2007-01-27 12:53 PM

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
So, do any of you suffer sort of mightily with stomach upset and grossness after long runs?

This has been a long-time problem of mine, and I'm not sure if there's a solution; but if there is, I'd like to find it!

After a long run (over twelve miles, race or training run), I have major stomach problems for probably 4-5 hours. I'm illadvised to leave the house during this window... frankly, this is the reason I didn't train for a marathon this past summer. A long runs just ruins my day. Of course, not deciding not to train for a marathon was what brought me to sprint tri racing, so I suppose that was a good thing.

Anyway, any tips??
2007-01-27 8:58 PM
in reply to: #669736

South Carolina

My wife suffers from the same sort thing....stomach upset after long runs. 

After her 11 mile run today, she had terrible cramps and bad gas. Surprised

She is trying Gas-X before and after her long runs.  I'll let you know how it works for her.

2007-01-28 7:12 AM
in reply to: #670062

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
timberleaf - 2007-01-27 8:58 PM

My wife suffers from the same sort thing....stomach upset after long runs.

After her 11 mile run today, she had terrible cramps and bad gas. Surprised

She is trying Gas-X before and after her long runs. I'll let you know how it works for her.

Yeah, do let me know if this works for her. My friend who coaches CC at a local college told me that she thinks it could be a fluid issue -- she advised me to sip gatorade before and after a run.
2007-01-28 7:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
i wonder if tom had any gi issues after the krispy kreme challenge.
here's a question for you iron competers, what do you do with your eatibles on the bike? i've done a couple sprints and oly, then i can get away with stuffing them in my jersey. but a half iron i am figuring on a handful of gels and some enduralytes. i saw something about a bento box for the bike, looks like a little cooler. just curious what you guys do, live off the land or have fifteen gels strapped to the bike.
have a great week everyone, i'll see you in the morning!

2007-01-29 7:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC

Surprisingly enough, I didn't have any GI issues from the Krispy Kreme Challenge.  In fact, as usual, I had more problems before the race from a nervous stomach, than during and after the race.  Granted, I didn't eat any solid food for almost 10 hours afterwards, but after lots of water and a good night's sleep, I was ready to go again Sunday morning.  I left a detailed race report on my BT blog, so check it out if you'd like.  And I highly recommnend doing the challenge if any of y'all are ever in the area.

Now, back to Noz's original question - sorry for the thread hijack - as I haven't done any long stuff, I can't say how to carry all that food.  But I am sure interested in learning how its done.

Train well, peeps!

2007-01-29 7:59 AM
in reply to: #670704

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE

Noz - 2007-01-28 8:40 PM i wonder if tom had any gi issues after the krispy kreme challenge. here's a question for you iron competers, what do you do with your eatibles on the bike? i've done a couple sprints and oly, then i can get away with stuffing them in my jersey. but a half iron i am figuring on a handful of gels and some enduralytes. i saw something about a bento box for the bike, looks like a little cooler. just curious what you guys do, live off the land or have fifteen gels strapped to the bike. have a great week everyone, i'll see you in the morning!

For my two 1/2 IMs, I just put the gels in the back of my jersey.  I even put one of those frozen Smuckers PB&Js in there (mmm mmm good).  I put my salt tablets in the back of my bike shorts pocket.  For the IM, I'll probably get a Bento. 

2007-01-29 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC
I'd suggest a dozen Krispy Kremes .... although I'm not sure how you'd carry them.
2007-01-29 8:45 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Unfortunately, no good tips for constance.  But I did want to make sure everyone saw that she went out and set a PR on her half-marathon this weeked!  Way to go!

As far as Noz's question, there are a lot of options.  Some people use a concentrated bottle on the bike for their nutrition.  For may HIM's I've used gel flasks that I carry in my jersey.  Easy to carry 2 of them and they hold 12 gels which is more than enough for a half.  I'll likely do the same thing for IM, but I'll map that out in training a I move closer to the race.  Bento's may become the method of choice, since the MIT guys recently said using one made a bike more aero than without in their wind-tunnel tests.

2007-01-30 11:26 AM
in reply to: #671069

South Carolina

Way to kick start 2007 constance!!  

As for fuel on the bike....I use two gel flasks.  Easier to carry, take fuel from, and you can ditch one in the tash can.  I suggest a little variety of the flavors.  Bars or PB&J sandwich can go in the jersey pocket.  I did put additional fuel in the special needs bag, just in case I needed more, or if I dropped a flask, but you might not get the special needs bag back.

tip to get the stuff back - take the bag even if you don't need anything in it, have a family member planted near the special needs bag drop, take what you want back, drop the stuff with the rest of the bags near the family member...you get your stuff back. 

As for salt tabs...I put a single dose in the corner of a sandwich bag, twist corner of bag until it tears off, then pin or rubber band the single serving to the race belt.  Pull one off as needed.

Finally, as JohnnyKay suggested, I'll super mix a bike bottle with six scoops = 3 hours of fuel.

2007-02-06 10:07 AM

South Carolina

I have been struggling with my swim stroke!!!

It seems that when my hand enters the water, my thumb is still down.

I’ve been told that if I continue to stroke this way, then rotator cuff issues will certainly arise because as I enter the water, I have to rotate the thumb up, and then pull.  Does that make sense?  If I don’t get the full rotation of the hand, before the pull, then I sort of pull out to the side rather than straight back.  Try it as you sit at your desk.

Stretch your arm out in front of you, thumb down, palm facing out.  Now try to pull back and touch your chest with your palm.  Now try stretching your arm out again, palm facing down or a slight tilt inward.  Pull back and touch your chest with your palm.

See a difference?  Let me know.

Also, I’ve been told that I need to reach with my stroke and enter with my pinky/ring finger and then pull.  This will cut out the unnecessary rotation. 

Some here’s the question…Next time you are swimming, take some time to look at your hand as it enters the water.  Is the thumb up?  Is it down?  Do you enter with a flat palm?

Do you know of any good swim drills to correct my issues?  Fist swim drills?  Swim with tennis balls in my hands?    

Life Live,

G.

2007-02-06 12:18 PM
in reply to: #680946

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Paging Noz!

Can't say I've thought about this too much.  I think I go in with a fairly neutral (flat palm) hand position.  But you may be able to think about breaking your wrist and pointing your fingers down toward the bottom of the pool before you pull.  I've been told that even if you don't really break your wrist, this "cue" will help make sur you keep your elbow high and get a good, strong pull.  Fists drill will definately help with that.  If you get your forearm set properly, I don't *think* it will matter too much which way your hand enters.

I have tried a couple drills where I focus on braking the wrist as above, and also consciously lifting the hand you are reaching with before starting the pull.  This latter drill is definately an exaggeration of what you would do swimming but does help you to focus on not dropping the elbow.

All FWIW.  Hopefully Noz can add something for us.

2007-02-06 1:04 PM
in reply to: #680946

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
ahoy timberleaf, arrrgghhh! sorry
"If I don’t get the full rotation of the hand, before the pull, then I sort of pull out to the side rather than straight back."
can i ask you this, if i were to sit at the bottom of the pool and look up as you swim over head, what would the shape of your underwater stroke look like to me? the letter "I", the letter "C", or the letter "S"?
2007-02-06 1:58 PM
in reply to: #681356

South Carolina
My best guess would be a "C"   Is "D" available?
2007-02-06 2:07 PM
in reply to: #681472

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC

timberleaf - 2007-02-06 2:58 PM My best guess would be a "C"   Is "D" available?

Sounds like my grades from school ...

2007-02-06 4:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
Alright, my friend, we are in business. This may be difficult to explain in type, but I will give it a shot. Long story short, for maximum efficiency, your stroke should look like an “S” underwater. The arm enters the water in front at a slight angle with your thumb side down towards the bottom of the pool. Your arm is fully extended past your head. Next your arm will sweeps out and down till about midway between full extension and your shoulder. Then back underneath your body with the center point of the “S” being at about chest level. The hand continues the line to about the stomach, when it turns back out again and finally out past your suit. Your palm will be turning during the stroke so that it always faces the direction you’re “pushing” the water. This will provide the maximum amount of “still water” to grab and give you the most thrust forward.

Concept: “still water”? so, imagine yourself as your pulling yourself over a giant bowl of jello. You stick your hand in and pull in one place and your body glides along the surface. In an ideal situation, this would be how you swim. However, since your body creates much resistance and the water has a pesky habit of going where it is pushed, you have to find “still water” in order to keep going. Using the jello analogy, imagine as soon as you start pulling in a particular spot, the jello liquefies. You can’t pull on it any more, and pulling your hand out and sticking back in mid stroke would not be very efficient, so the easiest thing to do would be to move your hand a little to the side and find jello that has not liquefied and pull on it. That is the, albeit simplified, concept of the pulling phase of every stroke. Your hand/arm moves in an efficient manner in the x, y, and z planes to find the most water that is not already in motion to provide “leverage” to pull on and push your body forward.

The drill I like to use to focus on underwater hand movement are
Six beat kick – count to six before taking each stoke, you should be counting while almost on your side (with 90° being shoulders straight line vertically, shoot for 80-85°), one arm extended in front, the other down at the bottom of your suit. Focus on sweeping out, in and out “past your suit”. Kick continuously. This is a slow drill. It also helps with body position.

Does this help at all? Or does it just raise more questions? It is hard to describe it online (and at work)! Shoot me an email if you would like some specifics!

Edited by Noz 2007-02-06 5:40 PM
2007-02-06 8:03 PM
in reply to: #681851

South Carolina

Thank you.  It does help quite a bit.

I envision the hand in the jello and pulling the body or rotating the body forward to the anchored hand. 

So when the hand enters the water, the wrist bends, the fingers and thumb should point down to the bottom of the pool?  Then begin the "S" underwater

I'll try the six beat kick drill in the morning.  

2007-02-06 9:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
"So when the hand enters the water, the wrist bends, the fingers and thumb should point down to the bottom of the pool?"
the wrist doesn't bend towards the bottom, your hand is just tilted. place your hand flat on the desk in front of you. now, slightly, pick up the pinky side of your hand keeping your thumb pointer, and middle finger side in contact with the desk. this is about how you should enter the water. plam down, fingers pointing to the end of the pool, hand tilted slightly so that the thumb is closer to the bottom than the pinky. another visual, imagine you are trying to put your hand into the bottom of a half flat pringles can. the can is slightly angled from parallel with the surface with the bottom of the can closer to the bottom of the pool and the opening just above the water (the rest of the can is below the water). when you place your hand in the water before the begining of the stroke, imagine putting your hand and arm into that pringles can. this will also help with rotation of the body!
as your perform the "s" stroke, your hand will rotate to grab the water, but your wrist will not bend very much at all, for the most part it is in line with the forearm. as you make your stroke, it will be going in three directions, right/left, backward, and up/down. as your hand moves toward your body in the middle of your stroke, your hand will naturally turn with your fingers pointed to the bottom as they would if your stroke was a straight arm windmill. i feel i am just confusing everyone, it is much much better in person. i wish i could find a good diagram. oh oh! check this out
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZNqSpDDWdXs
2007-02-07 4:55 AM
in reply to: #682131

South Carolina

No, it's not confusing...It's very helpful.  Thanks again.

The video is great!  I'm off to the pool, thanks for the morning motivation!!!

I'll post later today

2007-02-07 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC

Noz,

Thanks for posting all of your swim advice!  The video was very helpful.  My coach has been working on my hand entry point & angle, and I'm going to try and incorporate more of the "S" move in my stroke.

2007-02-07 9:45 AM
in reply to: #682319

South Carolina

I had a great quick swim session this morning.  Thanks for the advice Noz!

2007-02-07 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
no problem, just keep working that technique!
2007-02-07 12:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
when people ask, "how cold is it when you run in the mornings?", i say, "this cold."
2007-02-07 3:10 PM
in reply to: #682891

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Noz - 2007-02-07 12:47 PM when people ask, "how cold is it when you run in the mornings?", i say, "this cold."

Good stuff!  You were braver than I was this morning. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6