Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-03-12 8:28 AM
in reply to: #625455

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay's Group - FULL
I don't really have any tricks or tips.  I probably do the same as you, except I avoid doctor offices at all costs.  Of course, now that I have a newborn, I have to go more frequently than I'd like.  I've been fortunate as myself, my wife and my daughter rarely get sick.  I drink a glass of OJ a day to get some vitamin C - not sure if this helps or not, but maybe it works as a placebo for me.  Sorry I can't be of more use, but sure hope you feel better soon!

2007-03-12 10:24 AM
in reply to: #719534

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Yeah, sorry, no particular "trick" for me either.  Drink a glass of OJ daily & take a multi-vit.  Otherwise, just try to get my rest.  I've always been relatively "resistant" to getting sick.  Not that I don't from time-to-time, just seems like if there's an illness in the house, sometimes I'm the only one to avoid it, others I'm the last to get it and often not as severe as others. 

Good genes maybe, but I guess that doesn't help you.  Feel better!

2007-03-12 12:59 PM
in reply to: #719796

South Carolina

Thanks for the feedback.  Guess I need to up my OJ. 

My daughter has been sick and my wife just told me that she has been coming into our bed after I leave for my am workout.  (sleeping on my pillow)

2007-03-21 4:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
just to jump us back in it, how's everyone doing? i got out on the new bike, it's wicked fast man! well, fast for me anyway. very excited about the tri season.
i am thinking about my transistions. they are very slow partly because the sprints that i've done i just didn't want to forget anything. now that i've got a couple under my belt, i was going to try a few things.
i got in with team javelin, so they are sending me a jersey to wear. if it doesn't slow me down too much, i'll just swim with it on, no changing.
i kinda need socks because of blisters, but i thought of duct tape on the back of my heels.
i'm not sure about the shoes already clipped in. i did it once but the one dragged along the ground ripping it up and almost stopping me. i heard rubber bands but not excatly sure how to do it.
gotta practice the dismount. last year i almost went into the snow fence.
i'm going to throw on the race belt on t1 so i don't forget it like i did and it cost me about 60 seconds (i could have been third in my ag!)
practice my transistions.
run a little bit after each bike ride.
speed laces.

anyone else? what are you focusing on this year?
2007-03-21 9:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
how about another swimming video? how about down and back in 18.69 seconds?
2007-03-21 9:12 PM
in reply to: #719534

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I don't know how I manage to stay well teaching germy high schoolers -- hand-washing and built-up resistance??

Is this your first year in your job, by chance? Many teachers I know got sick all the time in their first year, and then seem to have built up resistance over time.

I know for sure that whenever someone new takes care of our son (harbinger of all day care germs), he or she gets sick...

2007-03-22 12:47 PM
in reply to: #732231

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Noz - 2007-03-21 4:07 PM what are you focusing on this year?

Trying to stay injury-free.

With that in mind, sounds like staying away from you near transitions might be a good idea.  Wink

2007-03-22 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC

Well, I'm focusing on building up my endurance, not necessarily kicking butt in triathlons.  I'd like to get faster/stronger on the bike and on the run this year, and then focus on my swimming next year.  I think I'm going to drop back and only do sprint tris this year, as I'm not getting in enough pool time for an Oly - but I'll wait and see whether my last tri will be a sprint or an Oly.

Other things I'm focusing on:

• Learn how to train with the baby in the house - talk about juggling a training schedule!
  • Keep Momma happy! -- 2 1/2 weeks in Kauai in June should help.
  • Make sure that my daughter realizes how much we love her - now's she's the Big Sis!
  • Keep losing the weight - I've lost about 23 pounds since this point last year.  Still have another 15 to go.

Hope the training is going well for everyone!

2007-03-27 7:18 AM
in reply to: #733444

South Carolina

I know that fuel choices are subjective, but I thought I would share with the group my latest fuel choice:

Champion Nutrition

Metabolol Endurance - pre and during meal replacement

Revenge Pro - during

Pro Score 100 - post

So far I have not experienced any GI issues with any of the products.  Taste great and less filling!  Mix up the Pro Score thick and it taste like chocolate pudding.  Mix up the Met Endurance with fruit and it makes a great smoothie. 

Best place to find Champion Nutrition - www.nutritionexpress.com

Cheers!  G-

Edited by timberleaf 2007-03-27 7:20 AM
2007-03-28 11:13 AM

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE

Ok.  I am officially bored of lap swimming in the pool.  In fact, I dread it anymore.  Basically I've just been swimming laps continuously or doing some repeats.  Can anyone recommend some simple ways to make it more interesting?  How does that "golf" thing work? 

2007-03-28 1:15 PM
in reply to: #740121

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I think continuous laps are a big mistake.  Partly for the boredom reason, but also because all you learn to do is swim slow.  I'd suggest getting some specific swim workouts to follow and make them challenging.  If your trying to get enough recovery to hit the next repeat, you won't have time to get bored.

Another idea is to see if there's a Masters program you could join.  Maybe a group environment would help.  It will also probably have you doing other strokes which might help to "jazz" up following the black stripe.

If you're stuck on your own, you might check Swim Workouts in a Binder by Gale Bernhardt.  There are also hundreds of workouts on the USMS forum site.

Noz may have some other ideas.

2007-03-29 8:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
that was a great website johnny! and i agree with what johnny said, you gotta spice it up every once in a while so that you don't burn out. long distance is good for mental toughness, but if it's all you do, it can burn you out pretty quick. like you may do for other workouts, have a small goal for each workout. maybe you want to work on your arm entry, or breathing, stroke count, or just recovery. a goal may help you keep focus.
technique drills break it up. you can rotate the drill you do every practice so that you're not doing the same one every time. and you can do something like
8 x 50's, drill down swim back or 8 x 100's drill, drill, build, easy so that you are not just swimming endless drill laps.
underwaters are always fun/challenging. swim down, underwater back or vice versa.
break up the distance and do some 75's for a change
you can throw in some strength training, swim down, 10 pullouts (lift yourself out of the water with the wall so that just you legs are in, and lower back down. like a "in the pool pushup") swim back. i think carolinalaw did something like this before.
builds and sprints are fun, they make you feel speedy!
mix up your stokes, i haven't seen anyone do a swim fly yet (that would just be showboating).
use some equipment (kickboards, fins, pull bouys, paddles, snorkle even!)
bring a friend.
try other water activities, aerobics, polo, underwater hockey (in the offseason!)
but just make sure your small goals work toward your long term big goals. 8 x 100s fly all out or an hour long polo session can be great fun , but it might leave you so that you can't move the rest of the week and you can't do your long run/bike. and no one wants to see that.

Edited by Noz 2007-03-29 8:17 AM
2007-04-15 7:41 AM

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Hey, team --

I am back for good, I think. It's been a crazy couple of months, but now I'm editing my completed M.A. thesis, I have eight weeks left of school, I got through a family vacation and my son's third birthday.

I am going to click through your logs and see how you guys are going -- I'm sure the IMers are logging big time hours!
2007-05-14 9:19 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

In case any of you didn't see it, Ron posted this about the current program:

CO girl just made me realize that we are definitely over the 3 months that the program was intended for.  That went fast!

So right now we will allow the current mentors to 'disband' should they want to.  It is a lot of work to lead and keep track of 5-10 people and we thank them VERY MUCH for getting this first group of New-Years beginners into the triathlon lifestyle.

What happens next?

• Your group can disband
  • You can join a new group with the new program if you still want to be mentored.
  • Your group can keep going should you like, even if the mentor leaves.
  • You can also still link your group thread and members into your training log to stay in contact.

We have created another forum.  The first will be for the current program, the second for all 'historical' programs that have officially closed.  You may continue to post in that second forum and follow threads.

We are making a call for new mentors for the 2nd half of our program...May through the end of August.  That should get anymore beginners through their late-season first triathlon.

Again, thanks to ALL the mentors for making the first program a success. It was a lot of hard work on their part to keep their group going, to check-in and to answer questions.  Our goal of this was to help as many New Years resolutionists as we can to get past that first month and to build momentum.

For my part, I'm not going to volunteer as a mentor this next session since I'll be right into my peak training for LP.  But I'm more than happy to keep this group going either formally or informally and will keep checking in on everybody now and then.  Of course, if any of you want to step up and volunteer I'm sure each of you would make good mentors yourselves.

Train well and have fun!

2007-05-14 11:27 AM

South Carolina

Thank you for taking the lead on this group and all of your great advice!!  I would like to keep in contact as we both move into the peak training for IMLP. 

Who knows...maybe we can all meet up in Lake Placid for dinner or something.

See you later and Happy training!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6