2006-12-15 5:44 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: captantony's Group - FULL

UserName: 

captantony (doug)

Story:

I am 36 and started running competively in 2004 when I decided it was time to get off the couch.  At the beginning, I couldn't run 3 miles.  Since 2004, I've completed 5 marathons with a PR of 3:35.  This past year I decided to pick up tris and completed 2 Dus, 3 sprints and 2 olys.  I got hooked on the multi-sport lifestyle right away.  Being the Type A person that I am, I registered for IronMan CdA without having completed a HIM. 

Family:
Divorced with two girls - 6 & 8.  My girls live close by and I see them often.  I live in Norfolk, VA and work in Event Management. 

Training:
I am currently training for my first IronMan in June of 07.  I am self coached and have taken in lots of information from this site and many other available sources.  I train by feel as I don't like being a slave to the HR monitor.  I work my training schedule around my life and not the other way around.  It is all about balance for me.  My focus for the next 6 months is the bike and swim.  I've had some open water swim issues which I am trying to overcome.  Spring will include 2 HIM races as well as much competitive swimming as possible.

Weight:
When I got into the endurance stuff in 2004, I was close to 250 pounds (I am 5'11'').  I now sit right about 180 pounds and would like to drop another 5-10 pounds if possible.  However, that is not my focus right now.  To lose the weight I followed the simple mantra - "eat less, move more".  Doing this allowed the weight to come off gradually and stay off over time.  Creating a healthy lifestyle rather than following a 'diet' is what will work over the long-haul. 

Edited by captantony 2006-12-17 6:27 PM

2006-12-15 8:56 PM
in reply to: #625457

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Subject: RE: captantony's Group - OPEN

Doug- I would like to join your group. I did my first Tri this year and got hooked. I want to do a few in 2007 and hopefully a HIM. I am currently training for a marathon in March. I have not been on my bike in a while and I know that I need to even with trainig for a marathon it is good cross-training. I have no excuse the weather has been perfect. The same goes for the pool. I am fortunate that from time to time I get to do OWS while working.

Steven

2006-12-15 9:36 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Steven, great to have you aboard!  We live pretty close to each other. 

What marathon are you running - Shamrock?  If so, that is a great, fun local race!  What races did you do this season?  I bet we ran across each other at some point. 

What are you goals after the marathon?  What training program are you using for the marathon?  I'll check up on you in your logs.  Train safe! 

doug

2006-12-16 9:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi Doug

I would also like to be listed in your ranks. Here's a quick Bio.
Male-46 yrs old
6'1" 238 pounds
Married w/ 5 kids, 4 boys-1 girl and she's the baby!(25,23,16,12,9)
Played sports all through school but that seems a life time ago.
Coach Little leauge baseball- been doing that for 20 years now (one of my true passions)
Quit smoking 11 months ago. That was a 2-1/2 pack a day habit.

Started riding mtn bikes with my oldest son and was hooked. Except I wasn't thrilled with the aggressive trail systems so I started riding on the street with the mnt bike. Last year logging 350 miles in the months of June, July and August, not alot but not bad for Saturday morning rides eather. I was averagiong 16.5mph on that bike. I've heard that Santa will be bringing me a new Trex 1000 this year.(actually I've parked it in my son's garage so the little one and her mother don't know. I'd hate to ruin the suprise.lol

I started a traning program here last week was week 1 after getting a cardio base for 2 months prior. Please check it out & let me know what ya think.
Swimming and biking are my strong points, I SUCK at running and that's really where I need help.

I'll be taking part in the "Team in Training" group from the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society this year training for the Oly distance with any luck I'll make it to the "games" in Philly this year. That's My goal!

Thanks in advance,

AL

...It's O.K. to fail...but it's NEVER acceptable to simply GIVE UP!
2006-12-16 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC

Doug,

I would also like to join your group.  I will tell you about me, but first, I have to know if CaptainTony is in reference to Jimmy Buffett's song "Last Mango in Paris".  Just curious, as I am a huge Parrothead.

I am 42 years old, have a wife and two kids (Nick - 9 and Liz - 6), and used to be a good, albeit not great high school swimmer.

Life goes on, and I bike a little through the years, never a runner and swim little due to shoulder problems that aris when I overtrain from my brutal training schedule when I was in my teens.

I peaked out at 235 pounds last Christmas and awaken to the fact that I am too f$$$ing fat.  I am 5'10".  I start watching my diet and exercise at the local YMCA and get down to 200 by May.  I went on a 4 day trail ride with friends and get hooked back on biking and invest in a new road bike.  I ran my first 3.5 mile race and planned on doing a sprint tri in New York.

Life goes on again and I take a job in NC, so I relocate, live without my family for 2 months and cycle a bunch.  I get that little voice in my head saying you need a goal to train for and I decide to learn how to run.  I have been running 2-3 times per week and now will be doing the Myrtle Beach Half in February.  My run for Sunday is scheduled to be 10 miles.  3 months ago, I couldn't run 3 miles without walking, and now I am down to close to a sub 10 minute pace.

My goals are to train up the distances and eveluate if I can possibly do IMFL in 2008 at age 44.  I know that my mind will not allow me to quit once I set my mind to it.

I think that having a mentor for the first three months of 2007 will benefit me in getting more stringent in my training.  It will also allow me to get to know a few BT'ers better and make some great friends.

As far as weight goes, I would like to get down to 185 or so and hold it there.  However, I am not focusing on weight as a goal, but as a byproduct of hard training and healthwy eating.

How about it?

2006-12-16 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia

Doug,

I am planning on doing the Shamrock in 2007. I did the 1/2 marathon this year and had a good time. I also did the Ft Eustis 1/2 in September and a few local 5K. The Tri I did was the Hampton Tri-America Sprint and like I said before I got hooked. It was awsome. I am hoping that the HIM that was going to be at Jamestown will happen in 2007. I got an e-mail about it back the other day that said they are planning on having a yes or no answer by 1/15/07 to if it is going to be run in 2007. I am hopeful that it will be a yes and I will plan on training for it, if not I saw that there is a HIM in Spotslyvania in September. And like you why do this.....for no other reason but for myself.

And hello and welcome to Al and Kapinto also..

2006-12-16 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Al and Kapinto glad to have you.  I just got back from a brick session and need to head out.  I will check in with everyone later today. 

Happy training guys. 

2006-12-16 3:44 PM
in reply to: #625688

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Al, welcome to our group. 5 kids!  More power to you.   Congrats on quitting smoking - I bet that was hard. 

That is great to hear about the Trek 1000.  That was my first road bike too.    I actually just got my Tri bike last month, so the Trek got me through the first season.  The only upgrades I added (over-time) were clipless pedals and clip-on aero bars.  And yes, they both make a difference in speed.  However, the engine is more important than the car.   If you are averaging 16+ on the mountain bike, you will see a big jump once you get the Trek.

I'll check out your training plan.  The good news for you is running is my strong sport, so I would be happy to assist in any way possible.  Another piece of advice is to train you weakest sport.  If you have biking legs, running will come - don't worry. 

Congrats on Team N Training.  I have a lot of admiration for people who support that group.  One of my good friends is a TNT mentor down here in Virginia. What race are you doing?

Safe training! 

2006-12-16 4:10 PM
in reply to: #625697

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Welcome to the group Kapinto!  

Yes, I am a little bit of a parrothead myself.  My screen name doesn't come from the song, but it does come from the bar Captain Tony's. Let's just say in my youth I had a little too much fun there one night and a few of my friends gave me the nick-name "Captain Tony". 

So your a swimmer - eh? Step into my office - I could use your help! 

Wow - our stories sound quite similar, both in weight and running/training.  Congrats on signing up for and training for Myrtle Beach.  I hear that is a great race.  The Rock n Roll Half Marathon in Virginia Beach is the race that put me over the top and put me on my current path. 

Good luck with your 10 mile run tomorrow?  Is that your first double digit run?  I still remember the feeling I had the first time I ran 10 miles (I just checked my logs and it was on July 18, 2004 at a 11 min /mile pace).  It sounds like you are on the right path for Myrtle.  What training plan are you using? 

Have a great rest of the weekend!

2006-12-16 8:40 PM
in reply to: #625563

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia

I did some "research" and yes we have ran across each other, during the Hampton Sprint we finished 5/6 in our age group.

Edited by LSU2003 2006-12-16 8:41 PM
2006-12-16 9:25 PM
in reply to: #625902

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
captantony - 2006-12-16 5:10 PM

Welcome to the group Kapinto!  

Yes, I am a little bit of a parrothead myself.  My screen name doesn't come from the song, but it does come from the bar Captain Tony's. Let's just say in my youth I had a little too much fun there one night and a few of my friends gave me the nick-name "Captain Tony". 

So your a swimmer - eh? Step into my office - I could use your help! 

Wow - our stories sound quite similar, both in weight and running/training.  Congrats on signing up for and training for Myrtle Beach.  I hear that is a great race.  The Rock n Roll Half Marathon in Virginia Beach is the race that put me over the top and put me on my current path. 

Good luck with your 10 mile run tomorrow?  Is that your first double digit run?  I still remember the feeling I had the first time I ran 10 miles (I just checked my logs and it was on July 18, 2004 at a 11 min /mile pace).  It sounds like you are on the right path for Myrtle.  What training plan are you using? 

Have a great rest of the weekend!

Was a swimmer, I think is the key thought here.  I just know that with training and getting over the mass start, that I will be able to get through the swim of any event without wearing myself out or drowning.

Yes, tomorrow will be my first double digit run, if I can get through it without tweaking my calf/achilles tendon again.  I am psyched.  And it will be 70ish while I am doing it.  I love North carolina.  I entered the half mary for the sole purpose of developing confidence in the distance so I can do a half iron distance race.  Likewise, I plan on doing the OBX Marathon for the purpose of proving that I may be able to finish IMFL.  Only problem is that the marathon is the week after the registration hour for IMFL08.  Anyway, I will know from my training as to whether it will be a worthwhile goal.

As you can see from my training log, that I seem to get only two running workouts a week, and I need the third to kick in soon.  I won't establish a time goal for MB until early february, since I am improving so rapidly in my running pace.  I hope by then that I can come in somewhere around 2:05, but the accomplishment of finishing will be huge seeing as from where I started.

This season id going to consist of a couple of sprints, a couple of OLY distance and 1 or two halfs in the triathlon arena (I haven't decided what to do about White Lake Half in May, yet) and the half and full Marathon.  Then hopefully, the 2008 year will be all about training and prepping for IMFL08.

I will be updating my goals soon, with events and time goals in different events.

I am really looking forward to this, and we should finally get to meet at the OBX next year, at the latest.

Keith

2006-12-16 11:42 PM

User image

New user

Outback Queensland
Hi Doug!

Would it be okay if I join in your group?

Username:
outbackgirl (bel)

Story:
I live in outback Queensland, Australia. I'm 30 years of age. I use to do long distance running back in high school, but once I went out into the workforce my exercise life consisted of lifting a glass to my mouth or dancing under the influence. This is how it as remained for the past 7 or so years. I work in the mining industry as as Customer Service Leader.

Family:
Happily married with no children.

Training:
I am a triathlon virgin. I am giving myself 18 weeks to go from a couch potato to finishing my frist tri. I have chosen the 2007 Dirt and Dust Festival at Julia Creek on the 21st of April, 2007 as my first ever tri. It is an 800m swim, 25km bike ride and 5km walk. To check it out go to www.dirtndust.com

Weight:
Currenlty my weight is about 105kg (230 pounds approx). Even though I do want to lose weight my main focus around doing this tri is to get my fitness levels back.

It would be great if I could jump on board.

Thanks
Bel
2006-12-17 10:42 AM
in reply to: #626104

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Hey Bel - welcome to our group!!  It is great to have a female from 'down under' representing us. 

The Dust and Dirt Festival looks like fun!  Good for you for getting motivated.  I too used to have the problem where my only excercise consisted of lifting food and beverage to my mouth, so I know where you are coming from.  Remember to take it slow.  Your endurance will come back over time. 

Take the same approach to weight loss and everything will be fine.  Just remember that weight loss is 80% about nutrition.  If you need any help in that area I have tons of resources for you.  

Are you using a formal training program for your race?

Good luck with everything.   We are all behind you. 

Cheers!

2006-12-17 4:54 PM

User image

New user

Outback Queensland
Thanks for the welcome Doug!

I went for my first swim this morning and managed to do 8 laps (400m or approx 400 yards). My average heart rate was 121bpm and the time it took me was 26m26sec.

I did most of the laps wearing fins. Tried to do a couple without and OMG how hard was that!!!!!

I am going to follow Michael Pates Total Sprint Program. The only thing is that it is 22 weeks. Should I jump in at week 4 or start at week 1 and try to build up quicker? What do you think?

Also, any information of nutrition you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Tonight I will go for a 30 minute walk. If I feel like doing a bit of jogging I will, however with our temps at the moment reaching 40deg C it's a bit hot to be outside running.

Thanks to all of you for your support!

Bel
2006-12-17 5:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia

Doug, I may be missing something simple here but could you explain something to me please. I was looking at your training log and was wondering what the  A B and C next to the planned races are for?

Upcoming Planned Races

• Disney Marathon (rB+
  • Shamrock Mary (?C
  • Kinetic HIM B
  • White Lake HIM (orC
  • Gulf Coast HIM C
  • IM CdA 2007 (rA+
  • OBX Marathon (BQ?A
2006-12-17 5:59 PM
in reply to: #626448

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
There is a thread in the forums that explains A,B, and C races.  Look under Traithlon talk.  It was active within the last couple of days.

2006-12-17 6:12 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Bel,  great job on the swim today!!!  And once again welcome to BT and the group.  Given your lack of experience, I would start your program at week 1 and try to merge a couple of weeks later in the program.  I don't know the plan, but I do know all training plans are designed to build upon themselves week after week.  I will PM you some nutrition links and ideas later in the week. 

Steven, basically the letters beside my races refer to the emphasis I am placing on the race.  An 'A' race is just that - most important with all your emphasis, training, and proper taper geared towards said race.  Thus IM CdA is my 'A' race.  'C' races are typically considered easy training, with 'B' in the middle.  It just helps to plan out your season as you want to be sure you 'peak' for your 'A' races.  I didn't see the thread kapinto is talking about, but I am sure there is more detail and discussion on the topic. 

2006-12-17 6:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Hello Captantony, I would like to join your group as well.
2006-12-17 6:24 PM
in reply to: #626465

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
captantony - 2006-12-17 7:12 PM

I didn't see the thread kapinto is talking about, but I am sure there is more detail and discussion on the topic. 

I couldn't find it now either, but Doug explained it well.

2006-12-17 6:33 PM
in reply to: #626470

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: captantony's Group - FULL

JungleDoc - 2006-12-17 7:23 PM Hello Captantony, I would like to join your group as well.

You're in!  Welcome to our little group.  Please tell us a little about yourself. 

So, here is our group:

captantony (Doug)
kapinto (Keith)
LSU2003 (Steven)
outbackgirl (Bel)
asaling (AL)
JungleDoc

It is important that everyone keeps their training logs up to date.  That doesn't mean you have to train everyday, just keep us informed of what it going on.  If you are resting, injured, or out of town please note it in your log so we don't send out a search party.  Our collective goal is to ensure we are all here and active come April. 

Safe training. 

Edited by captantony 2006-12-18 9:01 AM
2006-12-17 6:44 PM
in reply to: #626470

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Here's my story:
I'm 31, married with 2 children (son 4yo, daughter 2) and a third on the way in early March 07. I also have 5 month old running partner (a begian sheepdog mix). I used to be pretty athletic in high school (competed in Tae-kwon-do on state/national level) and in college (swam varsity div3). But then it all went down hill as I entered medical school, then in residency I lost all resemblence to an athlete. Then as if my coffin needed an extra nail, I decided to pursue 3 more years of subspecialty training. Im 1.5 years into my fellowship now, and I work 60-80hr/week.
Last February I woke up and did not recognise the person in the mirror. I heard about the Pigman sprint triathlon and decided that that would be my turn around point. Since then I have done 4 sprint tris and the chicago marathon (very slowly). During the summer I dropped to 215lbs from 240 (5'10"), but now as dark Iowa winter isets in I'm back up to 225. Lack of sunlight, time and cold are my main obstacles right now.
My goals for the 2008 tri season are olympic distance and HIM in august 07. I think it will be possible since in June 07 my work hours will dramatically change to 40/week (one year of lab research).

2006-12-17 7:38 PM
in reply to: #626478

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Welcome JungleDoc!  This is great as we have 2 swimmers in the group!  I am certain to pick your brain from time to time. 

I know that 'look in the mirror' feeling.  I had it on Christmas morning 2003 and that is when I said NO MORE. 

Congrats on completing the sprints and Chicago Marathon!  That is quite an accomplishment! 

I too work a pretty busy work schedule so I understand where you are coming from.  With you marathon background, stepping up to the OLY distance won't be a problem at all.   Good luck with the weight loss.  Remember to take it one day at a time and don't look back. 

Now, we will all keep an eye on you. 

2006-12-19 11:26 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Ok kids - it's time to start thinking about 2007. 

What are your goals?
Do you have any "A" races mapped out yet?
What are your biggest struggles or obstacles?

Let's get all this in one place so we can stay on top of each other. 

My goals for 2007 are pretty obvious:  Become an IronMan.  Secondary goal assuming I accomplish first goal is to Boston Qualify in the Fall (3:15 marathon).

My race listings are already posted above and IM CdA is my A+ race. 

My biggest obstacle and fear is making the swim cut-off as I've had open water swim issues.  Other than that, I am still trying to figure out 'balance' between training and life.  Any suggestions from the group are welcome. 

2006-12-19 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
I will get my Goals listed after the holiday, I will be out of town for a while and did not want yall to send out a "search party" for me. I will update my training log when I get back. I hope each of you have a safe and Merry Christmas.
2006-12-19 6:40 PM

User image

New user

Outback Queensland
My main goal is the Dirt N Dust Tri. As I live in a remote part of OZ there are not too many tri's around here. After I have completed the DND, then I will look for my next tri to complete.

Biggest hurdle for me is going to be the nutrition (I love me some good wine).

Bel
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » captantony's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 8