Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2006-12-20 9:59 AM
in reply to: #628531

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: RE: amiine's Group - FULL

this is going to be interesting w/o a hr monitor??  Plan B.

2006-12-20 12:19 PM
in reply to: #628926

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
CoachH - 2006-12-20 9:59 AM

this is going to be interesting w/o a hr monitor??  Plan B.

You can do the test as well and use pace to define your training zones using Jack Daniels VDOT tables (I can help you with that)

For instance a few months ago when I was fit my HR Zone 1 was around 135-145 and my easy pace was 7:45 to 7:15 for the same training zone. Since I am familair with what easy/zone1 pace feels for me sometimes i would go on my runs without a HRM. Most of the times I'll use it because I like to save the data and review it later.

IOW you can train without a HR but it might be a bit tricky if you haven't devlop 'that' feel for your pacing/training zones

2006-12-25 1:24 PM
in reply to: #625499

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Merry X-mas everyone! I hope everyone is enjoying the time with the family and having some time for a bit of training
2006-12-26 2:14 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
How is everyone doing after the holidays? I am sure most of you got in great training sessions and behaved food-wise  

Anyway, just writing a quick note to see how is your training going. I’ve been able to start running and feeling great. I’ll continue to do that plus some strength training everyday until Jan and then I’ll start adding swimming and biking.

2006-12-26 3:43 PM
in reply to: #629140

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

you mentioned " You can do the test as well and use pace to define your training zones using Jack Daniels VDOT tables (I can help you with that)"..

Can you elaborate on this one... I tried doing Max heart rate on age calculation,,,,but don't feel comfortable w/ results...two different ways was 5-10 bpm different.

Thanks...

Even though the daily time  dropped off during the holidays, looking forward to get back at it...  Have been working on planning for the month of Jan...Swimming/biking is going to be tough.  5 AM biking will be interesting.  May leave biking for weekend workout time.

Hope all is well.

2006-12-26 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Yep, big dropoff for me, but that is b/c of arthroscopy.  Things went pretty well.  Already walking and will check in with the docotor on 1/2/07 to see where to go from there.  I will be doing core, strengh, balance until then.  Then maybe slowly add swim (my shoulder is still sore, but should be good by then).  I am not suppose to swim anyway until I see him to make sure the incisions are healed. 

So, I continue to eat all the good food, but that ends today, with the exception of the new years weekend (hehehehe).   Then, the diet will get a little stricter.

Hope everyone else is getting some workouts in AND enjoying the Holidays.

2006-12-27 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston

I'm doing well following Christmas. Ate a bit more, but not a stuffing!

I was able to keep up with the running, except for the 26th due to travel. Hope to get in some time today (27th).

By the end of the week, I'll be back home and have access to my bike and pool. I'll probably continue to focus on the 4x to 5x running and swimming ( I can run in the AM or PM without problem and can swim at lunch). I'm going to focus on these two during Jan & Feb.

2006-12-28 6:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodland Park, CO

Merry Post Christmas to everyone!

Question about swimming.  I've been putting in about 1500 to 1800 yards per session.  Typically, I'm doing 200 yd intervals, but I'm not really timing them, just doing them with a short rest afterword.  I've done one long set of 800 yds (now I know I can complete a sprint swim!).  I also incorporate some drills into the swimming.  My question is; what should I be doing during my swim workouts?  Should I be timing my intervals and trying to do negative splits, or should I just be doing LSD (long, slow distance)?

2006-12-28 7:47 PM
in reply to: #635936

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
This is the group to be in .......

I'd have jumped in here as well. You guys are lucky to have Jorge as the guide to your BT future.

Good luck to everyone!
2006-12-30 2:23 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

I went away for a couple of days to Cozumel with my folks to enjoy the sun and the caribean beach I am back to Cancun and just relaxing and spending quality time with the family. I won't be around a computer for another few days but I wanted to wish you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR! I am sure you all are getting ready for a FAST and HEALTHY 2007 tri season!!!

PS. I promise I'll address your PM and questions as soon as I get back to Boston on Thursday. In the mean time keep that motivation up and ready for our 1st 'real' block of training we have starting this coming Monday. Train Smart!

2006-12-30 3:39 PM
in reply to: #637316

User image

New user

Subject: Happy New Year!
Ok Ok Ok... It's finally almost here... I have been looking forward to this for a month now, ever since I decided to train for a Triathalon. Taking on this challenge is proving to be a life-transforming event, and it couldn't have come at a better time. I am so excited about what lies ahead in 2007, I am busting at the seams. This year, I got clear on what I wanted to accomplish, and am committed to making this my best year yet. In this 3 month journey we have all taken on, we get to face all our self imposed obstacles, or any obstacles for that matter, and simply overcome.
For me, this really isn't about a race... This is about challenging myself to evolve, to elevate, and in the process inspire those around me to take themselves on. Just watching the amazing story about the Hoyt's- Dick and Rick, inspires me to my core, and makes me realize how truly grateful I am.
I want to take a minute to wish everyone and their loved ones a safe, enjoyable, and focused New Year... Let's Rock!!!

2006-12-30 5:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodland Park, CO
Well said, Jayson! 
2006-12-30 10:11 PM
in reply to: #637350

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: RE: Happy New Year!
enjoy...my initial response was...."can we just copy this post to our own blog"...   Have fun guys.
2006-12-30 10:32 PM
in reply to: #637576

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: RE: Happy New Year!
here we go...so, does the base begin this week...(train smart challenge)
2007-01-04 11:51 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

I assume Jorge will be back soon (but considering where he is at, I won't blame him if he stays down there), but hopefully everyone is getting some good workouts in.  Some things I did that might help to stay up to date w/ what is going on in this mentor thread:

I created a link to this thread in my blog (just go into your blog and there is a place to make a link, cut and paste this link, and name it).  You can also make this a favorite on your web browser.

Also, I toggled 'email notification' so that I'll get an email when someone posts to this thread.  There's a link in the bottom right of the page to enable that.

Hope that helps someone.

Schmize

2007-01-04 1:41 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

If my flight departs at some point in the near future I should be back to Boston this evening and ready to tackle this 2007 racing season! I've been running for 5+ days and I am feeling great. I can tell I have a long way to get my fitness level back but I am getting back into the groove which it is always nice. Another two weeks of consistent training and it will become a routine one more time and it will be A LOT easier to get back in shape

I hope you guys have the same motivation and continue to work hard! If not we'll have to get in your case and get you back on track

TRAIN SMART!

2007-01-04 4:09 PM
in reply to: #642213

User image

Veteran
Houston

Great help, thanks. I had made the link, but didn't have the e-mail notification on.

I'm feeling good for 2007! I've been taking in what Jorge has posted about running and building and I'm feeling the benefits since starting to train lighter, more frequently with the running.

I even think the benefits have spilled into my swim. I finally have the relaxation and breathing to tackle > 1000 yd distances! Now my constraint is muscular and time. I'd never imagined swimming like this.

Jorge, is it premature to work a faster run day in (that may be coming and I just don't know it yet)? I'm a prolific reader, forum-browser and I've seen some discussion about having a fast mile out of ten to prevent getting stuck in a pace-rut.

Feel free to keep me in line that is what I'm here for... I can't help my competitive, improvement-focused behavior.

2007-01-08 7:10 AM
in reply to: #642623

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
originalkid - 2007-01-04 4:09 PM

Great help, thanks. I had made the link, but didn't have the e-mail notification on.

I'm feeling good for 2007! I've been taking in what Jorge has posted about running and building and I'm feeling the benefits since starting to train lighter, more frequently with the running.

I even think the benefits have spilled into my swim. I finally have the relaxation and breathing to tackle > 1000 yd distances! Now my constraint is muscular and time. I'd never imagined swimming like this.

Jorge, is it premature to work a faster run day in (that may be coming and I just don't know it yet)? I'm a prolific reader, forum-browser and I've seen some discussion about having a fast mile out of ten to prevent getting stuck in a pace-rut.

Feel free to keep me in line that is what I'm here for... I can't help my competitive, improvement-focused behavior.

As long as you introduce some higher intensity to your running gradually it shouldn't be a problem to do so. Keep in mind that the bulk of your volume should STILL be at easy pace.

What I do for athletes is to start adding some intensity depending on their running backgrounds and current fitness level. For beginners or for those coming back form a long layoff period I add some intensity in the middle of some runs. At first in the form of strides and then short intervals. For those more experienced runners (running consistently over 6 months) it is ok to add intensity at the end of some runs, longer intervals or goal pace runs. For those running over a 1 year consistently is normal to have 1 high intensity session a week in the form of a tempo run or a LT interval session. (This session usually don’t last longer than 20-30 min)

FYI - I posted some info on the Train Smart thread.

2007-01-09 1:40 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

WOW, I swam today after a long time and it was tough! I struggled to complete 1500 yds, but it was so nice to be back in the water. I am positive I will be able to get back in form shortly, I just need to keep been consistent and getting IN sessions. How are you guys doing? Any questions or things you might want to share? If I owe anyone a response from past questions please remind me and I will respond ASAP. While away I lost track of that, sorry!

2007-01-10 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Jorge - Couple of questions:

I know my situation is kind of unique, but these questions should apply to the entire group. 

1) As you get into your race training schedule, what is your normal breakdown of the disciplines per week (i.e. 4Xrun, 3Xbike, 3Xswim).  Obviously, it will vary, but do you follow some standard?  I realize it will be different for us, as we focus on our limiters, etc., but was curious.

2) When getting back into running after my injury (or after any layoff like you had), what is a good plan.  I plan on doing some walk/runs, then building up volume and frequency, saving intensity for later.  I used to run 3-4 times a week (but I planned on increasing that this year, as running is my limiter).  When I do get back, should I follow your layout that you did in the challenge?  3x run the first week, very short, advancing slowly after that?  When do I know its safe to increase the volume, or add another day?  And then when I add that day, should I decrease the volume of the other days?

3) How many hours do you typically train during the week?  And do you take any days off?  If so, which one and why?  Again, I know this is specific to you and it depends on the time of the season, but it will help the rest of your mentor group to kind of parlay what we can do.

Thanks in advance.

2007-01-10 3:53 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

1) As you get into your race training schedule, what is your normal breakdown of the disciplines per week (i.e. 4Xrun, 3Xbike, 3Xswim). Obviously, it will vary, but do you follow some standard? I realize it will be different for us, as we focus on our limiters, etc., but was curious.

>>> it really depends on your ‘limiters’, time of the year and weeks until you A race. For instance, for those of us living on the Northeast, keeping a high frequency for bike sessions might be tough unless we do most on the trainer. For that reason many choose to focus on swimming and running (like me) thourgh this time and then switch the focus decreasing the swim and run and increasing the bike. Also it depends on the training phase and limiter. If you plan it well and have plenty of time before you’re a race then you could focus on your limiters and as you get close to your race switch it a bit. Also, if you’re a race is let’s say just a few months away and you can’t afford spending much time refining your swimming technique (for instance) because you also have to spend time on the bike because it is another limiter, THEN you will only have enough swim sessions to have the endurance to go the distance and have a bit more time to spend it biking. THAT BEEN SAID, the breakdown you posted seems pretty good for me. (Those going longer might need a bit more and those going shorter a bit less)

2) When getting back into running after my injury (or after any layoff like you had), what is a good plan. I plan on doing some walk/runs, then building up volume and frequency, saving intensity for later. I used to run 3-4 times a week (but I planned on increasing that this year, as running is my limiter). When I do get back, should I follow your layout that you did in the challenge? 3x run the first week, very short, advancing slowly after that? When do I know its safe to increase the volume, or add another day? And then when I add that day, should I decrease the volume of the other days?

>>> Yes the layout on the train smart thread could be a good starting point. Maybe you’ll keep the same duration per session and frequency but you’ll need to adjust to a walk/run session or maybe the first few weeks you’ll do more walking than running or even only walking. Err on the safe side and go slow! A good way to set a training week is to lay it down (been conservative) and evaluate at the end of it to see whether it was too easy, right or too hard. i.e. week 1 you schedule 3x20 min walk/runs. After the week is over you think it was too easy, and then week 2 you schedule a 4x 20min walk/run and reassess at the end of the week. Before keep adding or anything, I would stay with that no of sessions a week until I can “comfortably” run all sessions.

3) How many hours do you typically train during the week? And do you take any days off? If so, which one and why? Again, I know this is specific to you and it depends on the time of the season, but it will help the rest of your mentor group to kind of parlay what we can do.

>>> I posted this the other day: look THIS thread; I posted something about rest days. When in shape, I personally don’t take days off often. I do take an ‘active recovery’ day every 6-7 days and a complete day off every 18-20 days. Right now I’ll shoot to train anywhere between 6-8 hrs a week and evaluate if my body can absorb that workload. If I get back into my old shape soon it should be a problem and I’ll ramp training to 10-12 hrs a week (keep in mind my goals and my races) if it takes me longer to get back in shape I’ll stay between 6-8 hrs for a while. Training time is very specific to each person based on goals, fitness level, ability to recover and most important time available for training.

2007-01-13 9:56 PM
in reply to: #633508

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
CoachH - 2006-12-26 3:43 PM

you mentioned " You can do the test as well and use pace to define your training zones using Jack Daniels VDOT tables (I can help you with that)"..

Can you elaborate on this one... I tried doing Max heart rate on age calculation,,,,but don't feel comfortable w/ results...two different ways was 5-10 bpm different.

Thanks...

Even though the daily time  dropped off during the holidays, looking forward to get back at it...  Have been working on planning for the month of Jan...Swimming/biking is going to be tough.  5 AM biking will be interesting.  May leave biking for weekend workout time.

Hope all is well.

2007-01-13 10:02 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

if you have recent results from a race or do a 5, 8 or 10K time trial, you can plug your results on this website: http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm and use Daniels E and M pace to train through your base phase. later you can begin incorporating T runs. Basically the same as with HR training zones but using pace

2007-01-15 4:11 PM
in reply to: #653862

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
amiine - 2007-01-13 10:02 PM

if you have recent results from a race or do a 5, 8 or 10K time trial, you can plug your results on this website: http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm and use Daniels E and M pace to train through your base phase. later you can begin incorporating T runs. Basically the same as with HR training zones but using pace

thanks....seems to be about right as far as training paces go.  wish I could be up faster...however, that does show where I am at.  Not sure of the equaivalent performances...the shorter ones are ok, but the longer races I will have to work up to.   I just don't have a 1:30 much less a low 3hr marathon.  Will play w/ these zones.  Again, thanks.

2007-01-21 7:40 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

What's up guys, how you've been keeping up with training. Things are getting interesting up here as the cold really kicked in in the past week. I've been very consistent following the outline I posted on the Train Smart thread and I feel I am coming along pretty good. It is so cool how by been consistent my body is getting back to my fitness level although I still have a long way to go.

Anyway, I hope you gusy post how is everything going and share any questions/concerns.

Keep it up

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amiine's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 4