2006-12-15 7:04 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: amiine's Group - FULL

User Name:
amiine (Jorge)

Story:
31 year old male, single. Since I was a kid I practiced in teams sport and remained active until I was 15 yo. Through that time I played semi-professional soccer in Mexico and played Tennis. I never really enjoyed running just for the sake of it and had very limited swimming and biking experience. Through HS and college I didn’t exercise much, in fact I devoted most of my time to parting more I than I was supposed to. (That includes drinking in excess and smoking way too much)

On 2004 while attending grad school I decided I need to change my lifestyle and return to my athletic roots. A friend of mine suggested looking into triathlon a totally foreign sport for me. I did some research, found BT, went out to buy an entry level bike, join a pool to re-learn how to swim and start training for my 1st sprint triathlon. That year I went to completed 3 sprints and 1 Olympic distance.

On 2005 I decided to hire a coach in attempt to become a competitive AGer and I managed to win the AG of a few couple of local Triathlon and road races. I also registered to become a USAT level 1 certified coach and later obtained the USA Cycling level III certification.

By 2006 I had my eyes set on obtaining my elite card which I did by finishing an Olympic distance Triathlon under 2 hrs. This year was my best season in which I placed top 5 overall at local races and finishing 36th overall at Florida 70.3. I qualified to compete at the inaugural 70.3 Championship but I had to miss it due to injury.

Training:
Training is my favorite part about the triathlon lifestyle. I enjoy not only the physical challenge but also de discipline it requires. Been able to be consistent with my training day in and day has a positive impact in all aspect of my life including professionally.
The best choice I ever did for my training was to hire a coach. He is not only like a mentor for me but Kurt is a great friend. He has taken my training to the next level and my results reflect his knowledge and experience. Within 1 year under his coaching he has helped me to become a competitive athlete with minimal setbacks.

For 2007 I have high expectations for my racing! I want to qualify again to the 70.3 Championship, place top 3 on local races and must important I want to be able to break the 4:15 hrs mark at the HIM distance.

Finally as a developing coach and I collaborate with my coach to help athletes to achieve their athletic dreams.

Advice:
Don’t be afraid to ask as many questions as possible regarding your training. The more information we can gather the smarter approach we can follow for our training…

Edited by amiine 2006-12-18 7:39 AM

2006-12-15 10:22 PM
in reply to: #625499

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Subject: RE: amiine's Group - OPEN

Jorge - I would like to join your group, if possible.  I am 36 years old, married, with 3 kids.  I  was overweight and a buddy of mine convinced me to do a sprint triathlon this year.  I found this site, and it has helped me a ton.  I lost 30 pounds, and competed in my first sprint, and then followed that up with another sprint and an OLY.  Although, I have some events under my belt,  I have only been training for 10 months, and would love to learn so much more.

I am nursing a few injuries, currently, but am planning on doing an HIM and a marathon next year.  Would like the help in figuring out how to go longer.  Looking forward to this program!

2006-12-15 11:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston

Jorge,

I (Brad) would like to join your group.

My Story:
I am a 34 chemical engineer in Louisiana. I am married and have 2 kids, a 4 yr old daughter and 4 month old son.

I have always had some sporting activity since elementary school. Starting with baseball, then wrestling in high school, rugby in college, soccer until 2001, karate in 2003, and now I've decided to get into triathlons.

I tend to enjoy training and seeing myself improve. Part of my move out of rugby and soccer were because I wanted to train more than my recreational collegues. I like to have fun, but I don't just play to have fun, I play to compete and get better.

I weigh 210 pounds and would like to be less but I'm doing this for fitness first. I gage myself by body fat% more than raw weight.

Where am I now:
I started around the middle of November. I had never really biked or swam before. I've run in local 5k and less. My first swim experience was an eye-opener about how much work I would need. I only went 40yd before being out of breath. I was also limited on running to around 5k before tiring.

Since,

• I can swim 500 yds but still need to work distance(1) and speed(2). I've had some help from a swim coach, but following some forum postings I would like additional help here.
  • I can now bike for 45 minutes at 90 rpm-- yet to determine road pace
  • I have run 10k weekly and feel I could go further, but time usually is a factor.  I'm currently trying to work on form to get around 5:00 /km pace.

Edited by originalkid 2006-12-16 4:31 PM
2006-12-16 3:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodland Park, CO
Jorge,

I would like to join your group also! I'm 42 (as of yesterday), married with 2 little girls 10 and 5. I live in the mountains outside of Colorado Springs, 8500 feet elevation (yeah, that's a factor sometimes!).

My story:

I was a competitive athlete in HS. Football, basketball, track(sprinter and jumper). I blew out my right ACL when I was 19 and that was the end of athletics. About 6 months ago I decided I wanted to give triathlon a try, but first had to determine if my knee could handle the pounding. Started running (29 minutes for my first 1.5 miles) and found that my knee is doing fine. I'm now up to about 15 miles each week with my long run at about 7 miles. I'm in the pool about 3 times a week totalling about 3000 yards. Biking's been tough because of the snow and short days, but I just got a trainer so I've been doing that twice a week or so. I haven't been using the BT online training log, but will start doing so now.

I'm planning on at least a couple of sprints and 1 oly in '07. I'm hoping on doing the Boulder series (sprint and oly distance).
2006-12-16 4:34 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Cool, thank you guys!
We still need one more person, but in the mean time if you already know what's your racing schedule for 2007 please post your A race(s) name and distance (two A races max per year is a good idea) just to get an idea as of everyone's goals and to figure the best way to tackle training.

I’ll start: my A races will be Timberman 70.3 (Aug  19) and the 70.3 World Championship (Nov 10)

2006-12-16 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston

My A races for this year are the T-Gator Series Triathlon #2 (Sprint, May 20) and the T-Gator Series Triathlon #3 (Sprint, July 15).

I am also contemplating a Duathlon (Feb 25) of R:2mi B:15mi R:2mi and either the

T-Gator Series Triathlon #1 (Sprint, Mar 25)  OR Beginners-Only Triathlon (Mini, Apr 15)
Only problem is that if I do the Mar 25th race I am disqualified for the Apr 15th. I'd prefer to tackle the Mar 25 Sprint versus something I think I can already finish.

I've never competed in a triathlon before, so I'll need some help evaluating if I'm prepared enough. I can handle all of the distances individually, but it is the 3 back to back I'm unsure of.

2006-12-17 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

Jorge...would like to join your group...actually a bit nervous w/ time commitments-oh well.

• 42-teacher/coach, married, 1 son(may want to do a tri in May w/me)
  • have stayed active from HS to now, as coaching seasons allows
  • totally new to tris(have completed mini-sprint)
  • weakness is the swim
  • injuries here and there have shortened training cycles

Goals:

• complete two more sprints( sub 1:10, at some point)
  • jump into an OLY distance

Edited by CoachH 2006-12-18 8:29 AM
2006-12-17 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

My A races are as follows:

Spirit of Racine HIM (July 22nd) - First HIM

Chicago Marathon (Oct. 2nd) - First Marathon

2006-12-17 9:34 PM

User image

New user

Jorge,
I would like to join your group. My name is Jayson Plummer and I'm 33 years old, single, no kids, living in Las Vegas, NV. I'm 6', 170lbs. I have been a bartender for 12 years, and I now have a business in online communications. I plan to quit bartending by my birthday, 5.02, and build my business full time... I recently coached a 3 month personal effectiveness leadership training, which I took late last year. I have learned so much about setting and achieving goals, and belief systems, and I now want to create some incredible results.

I have been involved in sports all my life, with backgrounds in running, biking, and swimming, mostly recreational. For the past couple of years, I have done alot of rigorous mountain hiking, or bouldering, around Las Vegas, and I want to really challenge myself this year. I have set big goals for 2007, and in the fitness realm my goal is to complete a HIM in October??, with a sprint or Oly in between now and then. I am totally new to the sport, and I'm looking for the best way to get started training, as well as putting together a solid nutrition plan.

I too, partied way too much over the past few years, but in my heart I am an athelete. I want to adopt all healthy habits and transform myself into the best me I can. I like that this sport is more a lifestyle than a sport, and I want to be part of that. As of right now, I run about 2 mi. per day, and mountain bike a couple of days a week, mixing in some hiking as well. I haven't been swimming regularly for some time, so I'm sure that's my weakest link right now.

I believe very much in mentoring and coaching, and I would like to achieve some incredible results, and pass that along in the future to others looking to transform their lives...
2006-12-18 8:47 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: amiine's Group - FULL

OK, we have the group full and we are good to go!

We have:
Scott schmize  - first A race will be the Spirit of Racine HIM (July 22nd) – His First HIM!
Brad originalkid  - first A races will be the T-Gator Series sprint Triathlon (May 20) – Have you done any races before?
Doug dougdia - what’s your A race for the season and date?
Hernado (is this correct?) CoachH – what’s your A race for the season and date?
Jayson Jayson - first A race will be HIM (October)
Jorge - amiine - first A race will be the Timberman 70.3 (Aug 19)

Doug and Hernando, please post your ‘A’ race for the season just to have an idea how early in the season we’ll all be racing. Also please add the other guys of the group into your logs so we can check and support on each other easily.

2006-12-18 11:15 AM
in reply to: #626727

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

A race???  Does it have to be a OLY/HIM, or does it matter..

2006-12-18 12:30 PM
in reply to: #626875

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
CoachH - 2006-12-18 11:15 AM

A race???  Does it have to be a OLY/HIM, or does it matter..

Anything you want: sprint, oly, HIM or even a road race. The point is to have a goal and work towards it

2006-12-18 12:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston
amiine - 2006-12-18 8:47 AM

OK, we have the group full and we are good to go!

Brad originalkid  - first A races will be the T-Gator Series sprint Triathlon (May 20) – Have you done any races before?

Never raced tri's before. I've done mostly 5k's before, but without much thought to them. Part of my previous issues were not having tough goals and needing steps to get there. In early Nov. started self-training towards the beginner. Got some local help and at my current improvement pace, I think the beginner may be too easy with the date being over 16 weeks away. It is only 200m swim, 10k bike, and 2.5 k run.

2006-12-18 3:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

We have:
Scott schmize  - first A race will be the Spirit of Racine HIM (July 22nd) – His First HIM!
Hernado (is this correct?) CoachH – what’s your A race for the season and date?

Marcelo - CoachH - first A race, May, 6-mini sprint, CapTexTri sprint???  May 29th.

2006-12-18 3:46 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Brad - That's great, that base will help you out for sure for the training ahead.

Guys - I started this thread on the challenge section and posted a ‘basic’ guideline of the training format I am planning to start as of January 1st and what’s what I’ll do in the mean time. Keep in mind I haven’t been active for the past 2 ½ months hence I’ll start from scratch pretty much. So this can give you an idea of where to start. Of course depending on your fitness level and how much training you have done in the past 3-6 months you might be able to modify the suggested guideline with more training time, more frequency or both. Or maybe you will need to modify it with less training time or session to accommodate your current situation. Since you are part of this mentoring group you are more than welcome to ask as many questions as you may have. I might not know all the answers but I’ll make sure to get the correct response out there for all of us to learn. I have access to great resources and I can always ask my coach The point is to encourage each other, learn and most important have fun!

We have:
Marcelo CoachH – first A race CapTexTri sprint (May 29)

2006-12-18 6:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodland Park, CO
Subject: My 'A' races
My first race will be the 5430 Boulder series Sprint on June 17th.  I'm also considering doing the Prospect lake sprint in Colorado Springs on June 24th, but I'm not sure if doing two races one week apart is a good idea. My first OLY distance will be in August (the 5430 series, again). 

2006-12-18 7:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston

I'll start by writing out where I think I am and what I'm doing. Feel free guys to question and suggest...

1) Swim- I am a beginner, I'm working basically on relaxing, form and distance. Until I can go 1000 yd to 1500 yd at a go without stopping I will neglect speed. Afterwards, I plan on working speed and have some idea on how to do it. In this event, I have access to an OK coach and several ex-competative swimmers who can actually see me and comment. As this is my weakest event, I focus here. I can swim just about everyday at lunch and do; for learning to relax and form.

2) Bike- Other than what I did as a kid , a novice. I do know that I can go the distances required for sprint and olympic. I could use help on how to build speed here with endurance. I typically train on a trainer as I know of few safe areas to ride and the time available is early morning and late.

3) Run- After swimming, this is my biggest concern. I've picked up some tips from the forums and articles that have shaved 1:00 to 1:30 off my km times. I run several times a week and 5k and 10k distance has not proven to be a problem. Thanks to what I've learned, I control my heartrate and cadance. Problems-- I know that I'm slow here, but don't know good ways to build speed. Also don't have easy access to someone to watch me run and comment.

In summary: Swim - all about distance right now; Bike & Run - build speed.

BTW: I'm using the 13wk Original Sprint training plan as a guide, but it only gives times not what to do and I add to it as time permits. So it is usually the minimum that I do.

Edited by originalkid 2006-12-18 7:36 PM
2006-12-18 7:15 PM
in reply to: #627352

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: My 'A' races
dougdia - 2006-12-18 6:21 PM My first race will be the 5430 Boulder series Sprint on June 17th.  I'm also considering doing the Prospect lake sprint in Colorado Springs on June 24th, but I'm not sure if doing two races one week apart is a good idea. My first OLY distance will be in August (the 5430 series, again). 
Cool! have you done races before? which one do you think will be your main race? The Oly? And depending on your fitness level you 'could' certainlyt do to sprint races back to back but you can make a choice later on...
2006-12-18 7:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodland Park, CO
The oly will be my A race.  I'm also hoping to do the Pacific Grove oly in Sept.  I've never done tri's before, so I may be a bit agressive! 
2006-12-18 7:47 PM
in reply to: #627380

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

1) Swim- I am a beginner, I'm working basically on relaxing, form and distance. Until I can go 1000 yd to 1500 yd at a go without stopping I will neglect speed. Afterwards, I plan on working speed and have some idea on how to do it. In this event, I have access to an OK coach and several ex-competative swimmers who can actually see me and comment. As this is my weakest event, I focus here. I can swim just about everyday at lunch and do; for learning to relax and form.

>>> I think you are on the right track here. The best way to improve your swim times at first is by working on your technique and endurance. Having someone which can provide feedback on your stroke is a great way to improve faster!

2) Bike- Other than what I did as a kid , a novice. I do know that I can go the distances required for sprint and olympic. I could use help on how to build speed here with endurance. I typically train on a trainer as I know of few safe areas to ride and the time available is early morning and late.

>>> cycling out of the 3 sports is the easier to work and improve on (relatively speaking). Also since biking is lower impact than running you can get away by doing session at higher intensity. BUT, the big but is that you have to test and try how much intensity is too much.

3) Run- After swimming, this is my biggest concern. I've picked up some tips from the forums and articles that have shaved 1:00 to 1:30 off my km times. I run several times a week and 5k and 10k distance has not proven to be a problem. Thanks to what I've learned, I control my heartrate and cadance. Problems-- I know that I'm slow here, but don't know good ways to build speed. Also don't have easy access to someone to watch me run and comment.

>>> The biggest limiter for most beginner athletes in terms of running is that most don’t improve because they don’t do enough of it. Many run just a few sessions a week and add high intensity training way to sooner than they should. The result could be either: improve in the short term but NOT in the long term or to end up battling nagging injuries.

Remember that since we have to train for 3 different sports we have to juggle our available time in order to improve in all 3 sports. Trying to do all at the same time will be difficult at best, for that reason it is suggested that a good approach for tri-training is to have of one or two sport focus periods. If your A race is not until May for instance you have like 18-20 weeks for training. You could dedicate 4-6 week to improve your running and maintain swim/bike then 4 weeks to work on your swimming while maintaining run/bike and finally 4 weeks for biking while maintaining swim/run. Then the last 4-5 weeks you can focus on adding some intensity and kick up your speed a bit on all 3 sports.

Have you checked the thread I started about the “train smart race fast” challenge? I plan to focus on running and swimming mainly for 6 weeks then add intense bike session while increasing the volume of my running for another 6 weeks. Coming up April I will have a solid 12 week running and swimming base and a good power foundation for the bike THEN I will reduce my run a bit to focus a bit more on key sessions to kick up the speed on all 3 sports and be ready for the beginning of the season

2006-12-19 8:12 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Brad asked me a Q regarding the training outline posted over the "Train Smart, race Fast" challenge through a personal message, but I think this info might help everyone:

Q: How do I gauge if the week is too easy? If I keep my HR in zone, shouldn't 20min always be easy?
>>> If you complete all the sessions within a week and at the end you feel like it was too easy then you can move on and play by adding a bit more time to each session or even adding an extra sessions. One thing to keep in mind is that you always want to finish a session knowing you could have done more, in particular when training at easy pace, but that’s the point for this phase! In the other hand, if at the end of the week you feel wiped, then you might need to repeat the SAME sessions of the week for the next one.

And yes, 20 min will ‘usually’ feel easy most of the time, but if you increase your frequency and are running 5-6 times a week, you’ll notice those 20 min aren’t so easy all of the sudden

Plus we'll be increasing the duration, frequency or both for our sessions, and eventually the week with 4x run 20 min all done at easy pace will turn into 5x run week as: 3 run 30 min easy, 1 run 30 min Tempo and 1 long run 60-75 min steady.

Again, this phase is to lay the foundation for your body to be able to absorb greater workloads ahead. If you accomplish this even when you feel the training is somehow easy, you will be amaze how your body responds when the training gets harder…

2006-12-19 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

So here is where I am at.

I got off the coach in February this year and started swimming.  I have an athletic background from high school days, and had been playing basketball 2-3 times a week.  I have 2 sprints and an OLY under my belt.  My first sprint was humorous in that I hadn't found this site, yet, and I had no idea what I was doing.    I, then found this site, followed the training plan for my OLY last year, and things are getting much better.  I then ran a 1/2 marathon to get ready for this years HIM and marathon.  All this is to get me ready for an IM in '08.

I joined this group to learn as much as possible, while getting the most out of my body.  I would like to be a mentor next year.  I also am thinking about getting a coach for next year, and maybe someday even coaching myself (way off, but you have to have goals).  With Jorge's experience and knowledge, this seems to be the group to help me meet my goals.  And for the real new beginners in the group, I hope I can help out, too.

Well, I just scheduled to get my knee scoped, so I will be out for at least a week or two.  But I will still be active on the site.  Listen to Jorge when he says to take it slow.  Although, the Dr. doesn't think my injury is of overuse (I had a bike accident that might be the culprit), you never know.  I followed the 10% rule, which is a good rule when increasing volume.

Overall, I am pretty decent in all events.  I am not great at any, but not horrible at any either.

Swimming:  I feel very comfortable in the water.  I am also getting faster, but will be looking for some good drills and workout sessions that have helped others.   I did my OLY in 1:42/100m, which put me in the top 5% of my age group.  I think I can go faster.  I do my 5X100m drills in the 1:20/1:25 area right now.

Biking:  I am improving here.  Its tough being in the midwest, but I have been doing some trainer rides.  Again, I am looking at philosophies and drills to get better on the bike.   When I look back, I did my first race on an old schwinn and tennis shoes.  I have learned a great deal here, but still need to really gain some speed and endurance on the bike.

Running:  In my OLY, I was around 50% in my age group.  This was (and still is) probably my biggest limiter.  After the OLY, I really concentrated on my running to get ready for a 1/2 marathon.  Really, just increased my volume (gradually), did the LSD run every weekend.  Went from 3X/week to 4X, then eventually 5X a week.  I didn't do any other speed work, other than a tempo run once a week.  I improved from a 8:34m/m in my OLY (yes, it was after a bike ride, but it was also 6.2 miles), to a 7:36m/m in my half marathon.  I continued to improve and did a 20:40 5K a month after the 1/2 marathon.  And trust me, at the beginning of the year, I could barely keep an 8:30 for three miles.   So, I think there is value in the Long Slow Distance Run.  I also did a TT to get my LT and that helped me to figure out the zones to do my runs in.  I think there is a great deal to be said about variety, etc.  I am hoping to learn a lot more about running (and avoiding injury) from the man....and Jorge is the man when it comes to running!!  (not trying to suck up to our mentor, but look at his times.....sheesh)!!!!

Oh, and I did do some of the sports rotation based on Mike Ricci's site.  I did 8 weeks of run, then 4 weeks of bike, and 4 weeks of swim.  I will be catching up w/ Jorge's challenge, once I get healthy.

So, Jorge, will this thread be our forum going forward?  I assume we can PM you with personal questions, etc.?  We will try to not overload you!   Maybe we can challenge the other mentor groups, somehow? (yes, I am very competitive).

2006-12-19 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston

Ok... Did the LTHR run per the testing plan

• warmed up 15 min with the last 5 min alternating 0:20 run and 0:20 walk
  • started time and started recording distance
  • at 10 min in, started heart rate monitor
  • at 30 min in, recorded distance and average heart rate

Here are the results average HR = 173 and pace = 5:38 min/km (9:00 min/mi)

2006-12-19 6:56 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Scott - Great stuff! You have definitely achieved great things in such a short time. I am particularly impressed with your swim times and your improvements running. I also used this site as the main source of info for my 1st racing season and now 3 seasons later I still enjoy it very much! A lot of knowledgeable coaches like Mike Ricci and great athletes like Dan (marvanett) around.

Anyway, will you be able to do some swimming after your knee procedure? You could focus on your swim until you are good to use your knee again! IMO doing a good base of swimming is also very important. Not necessarily to become a faster swimmer (which most likely you will) but to get a lot of aerobic exercise without the high impact of running, and it will make you fitter overall

Also you might be able to use your time off for strength training not necessarily weight lifting, but flexibility and balance.
Anyway, keep us posted and we can chat about ways to get you back to running in no time!

So, Jorge, will this thread be our forum going forward?  I assume we can PM you with personal questions, etc.?  We will try to not overload you!   Maybe we can challenge the other mentor groups, somehow? (yes, I am very competitive).
>>> Yes, feel free to use this thread to post questions, comments or share info with the rest. As you mentioned, hopefully we’ll all learn lots from this 3 months and get ourselves ready for a fun and healthy 2007! Regarding challenging other groups, I guess we could ask Ron. Any ideas? As long as it is something which will challenge BTers to become smarter with training and keep us motivated it could be fun.

2006-12-19 7:27 PM
in reply to: #628126

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
originalkid - 2006-12-19 1:11 PM

Ok... Did the LTHR run per the testing plan

• warmed up 15 min with the last 5 min alternating 0:20 run and 0:20 walk
  • started time and started recording distance
  • at 10 min in, started heart rate monitor
  • at 30 min in, recorded distance and average heart rate

Here are the results average HR = 173 and pace = 5:38 min/km (9:00 min/mi)

Great! Based on that info we can calculate your HR training zones:

Zone 1 (EASY) – 114 to 147

Zone 2 (Steady) – 148 to 157

Zone 3 (Tempo) – 158 to 165

Zone 4 (LT) – 166 to 176

Zone 5 (Supra) – 177 and over

For the challenge most of your runs at least for 4 weeks should be on the Zone 1 and Zone 2 range. The longer the run the easier the pace. Also you ‘should’ let your body dictate at what range to go. For instance if a session tells you to run at zone 2 for 20 min and during the run you feel somehow tired you can stay on the middle to low end of the range while if you feel good during that session you can stay in the middle to high end of the range. At first it might be VERY challenging for you to stay within certain range as your HR might be a lot higher. You might even have to run VERY slow to get close to that range, well that’s OK! Forget the pride and focus on your session! Within weeks of running and been consistent you’ll begin to see some results.

Remember that you don’t want to be fast today… You want to be fast on May for your race!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amiine's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 4