General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rothrock State College Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-16 7:12 AM

Subject: Rothrock State College
Hi all: Just thought I would drop a line to report on my latest (latest being time of year) ride. A buddy and I went to Rothrock on Friday and rode 12.5 miles of beautiful, technical single-track in shorts and t-shirts -- It was 58 degrees and mostly sunny. Anyone familiar with Rothrock -- We started at parking lot just past Tussey Mtn. ski area, went out Longberger Trail to Bear Meadows Natural Area. There is a deadfall across Longberger extention (part of trail between Kettle trail and north Meadows Road) that is quite impressive -- it lays diagonal across trail, is 10-15ft long and 2ft off the ground. You climb up on it via a pile of rocks, ride across the log(top is sawn flat) and exit off log via another pile of rocks. I had to stop momentarily at top of entry rock pile to wipe the tears from my eyes, then proceeded on. What a miricle of engineering genius. We then went back Bear Meadows Rd to Tussey Mtn. Trail. TMT is beautiful as well as challenging. It goes right along the top of the ridge and the valley on the right is quite impressive. At the pipe line, we took a left that leads (high speed) to Corner Rd. that leads to Bear Meadows Rd. just above parking lot. I went over the bars in a drainage ditch across road from parking lot and almost snapped me right tibia.

In summation, If you live anywhere near State College Pa. you MUST ride Rothrock. This ride is one of but many trails and gravel service roads in the park. Enjoy the warm weather.

Altoona Tim

2006-12-16 1:34 PM
in reply to: #625640

New user
Subject: RE: Rothrock State College
Sounds like a great time! I graduated from PSU, and am ver familiar with those mountains. Until my knee injury, I was planning on going up and running those same trails. I'm still holding out hope of running the Tussey Mountain Back 50 miler.

I want to do some mountain biking, but my bike is 10 years old, and I'm afraid I'd get laughed off of the trails. And if I buy a new bike, my wife may kick me out of the house!
2006-12-16 3:28 PM

User image

Regular
Malvern, PA
What a great ride. My wife and I backpacked through there- Tussey Mt and Bear Meadows maybe three or four years ago. Really great. I'm envious of all you MTB riders, got to get one of those as soon as I have that much $$ to spare. Happy riding!
2006-12-16 5:40 PM
in reply to: #625883

Mountain bikes have really come down in price as well as gone up in quality. For about $350 you can get a nice hardtail with a good fork and disc breaks. Five years ago you would have to settle for rim breaks and a crappy fork for that price. If you keep your eyes on the classifieds you can pick one up for half that and it probably was ridden only twice (people tend to buy them only to find out that it is not their cup o tea). I feel that 15 miles on my MTB in the hard stuff is equal to 50 on the road bike. I really got a workout yesterday only doing 12.8mi at Rothrock.
2006-12-16 6:18 PM

User image

Regular
Malvern, PA
Yeah, I'm looking around and found a full suspension with good reviews from a maker called Ibex. Price is about $800, which may be doable after the irs refund comes around. *fingers crossed*

Ever ridden one of these?
2006-12-16 7:33 PM

New user
Only $350? Really? It sure has been a long time since I've looked for one. Now, it just may be in my near future!

2006-12-17 7:38 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-12-17 1:22 PM

Hollidaysburg, PA
This weather has been great for mtn biking!! I have had my first few mtn bike rides at Rothrock this fall....lots of good riding!
2006-12-18 9:37 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rothrock State College Rss Feed