General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Master’s Class in Spokane Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-20 4:13 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
Subject: Master’s Class in Spokane
Hi! I am new to the sport and need to work on my swim technique. Does anyone know of a good class for a newbie in the Spokane area?

In peace,
Jon

2007-01-02 9:23 PM
in reply to: #629567

User image

Veteran
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: Master’s Class in Spokane

There is Master's Swimming at the Downtown Y Tuesdays and Thursdays from 630 to 7:30.  The Y is also a great resources for lessons if you want to improve.

In my experience the masters swiming is good, THey're very friendly, and have lots of good advice, but most of the posted workouts were beyond me when I first went.  I was still struggling the swim 100yds without stopping, and the posted workouts started at about 1500yds.  

I never managed to participate much, as it's inconvenient to my schedule, and I'm too cheap to pay for parking most of the time. 

2007-01-08 1:40 PM
in reply to: #640100

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
Thanks for the reply. I just learned about the class and I am actually going to try it out tomorrow (Tuesday).

In peace,
Jon
2007-01-08 2:36 PM
in reply to: #629567

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

Hi Jon,  (Hi Senja!)

I actually am a regular at the downtown Y master's class.  When I started I couldn't swim one length of the pool.  The people at the class are really nice (yes, even me!) and very helpful.  Currently, only the Tuesday night class is coached and the Thursday class just follows a workout on the board.  Sometimes the coach comes on Thursday, too, but count on a non-coached workout once a week.  If you can't do all of the workout or have to stop to rest between lengths or laps or whatever, the group is fine with that.  I spent a lot of that first year at the ends of the pool catching my breath while the rest of the lane went by, then I would just follow them.  Any questions about the workouts can be asked of anyone there.

There are all levels there - people who are starting like I did all the way up to Ironmen (and women) in training.  The first three lanes are mostly triathletes, while the lane farthest from the windows is typically the real master's swimmers who do master's swim at different pools all year long. 

ALSO, in March the triathlon class is starting up again.  Mostly the same people from the first three lanes plus a bunch more meet twice a week (M and W) and either run or bike (with the coach) for an hour before doing the swim workout.  Again, great people (*modest smile* - looking around to make sure no one is watching me type this Smile) and usually a really good workout.  The same coaches lead a local tri club too - separate from the class - that does some cool workouts.  You may want to consider either or both the tri groups - tri class usually takes the place of master's swim for me between March-August.  Edited to add that i fyou're not a YMCA member, the Master's swim you have to pay for monthly ($22/mo? or so?) and the tri class is a punch-card where you only pay for the sessions you attend.  I can't remember the cost of the tri class off the top of my head, maybe $30 for 10 sessions? - end edit

I won't be there tomorrow but hope to be back on Thursday.  Racinmason from right here on BT should be there tomorrow.  Look forward to meeting you.

Cheers,
Colleen

Edited by c_cic 2007-01-08 2:39 PM
2007-01-09 4:50 PM
in reply to: #646578

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
Hi Colleen,

Thanks for the info. Both my wife and I will be there tonight. We have also joined the club and met some of the members at ski-fest on Mt. Spokane this past weekend. See you on Thursday!

In peace,
Jon
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Master’s Class in Spokane Rss Feed