Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2007-01-10 5:46 AM
in reply to: #647722

User image

Subject: RE: OiPolloi's Group - FULL
oipolloi - 2007-01-09 11:37 AM

two degrees north - 2007-01-09 9:35 AM

Question: If you were to recommend the bare minimum tri gear essentials (for a woman) what would it include? I'm saving up to get a bunch of gear (bike included!) at the end of the month. I've made some friends at a store where I think I'll get a discount if I buy a bunch of gear from there.

Essential tri gear? Probably a good pair of tri specific shorts or bike shorts. Pearl Izumi, Zoot, DeSoto....all make good stuff. Try...All3Sports.com A good tri top or jersey is also a must. Something with pockets so you can carry gels or sunglasses etc. And, buy a Race Belt....the thing that your race number snaps to. Attaching your number to your jersey with a safety-pin is NOT the way to go.

As far as tri specific bike shoes, I don't see the benefit for an age grouper. I ride in what's comfortable.

I should also mention: USAT regulations are that you can't lose or disguard anything during a race (throw trash etc). That's why a jersey with pockets are important and a race number belt. You'll see a lot of people who don't use number-belts lose their race numbers. You can get penalized for this.

I second what oipolloi said, good trishorts, tri shirt, racebelt. Also, I reccomend a couple of sticks of bodyglide! Love the stuff. I am a BIG fan to the pearl izumi gear, even if their mens biking jerseys are sized WAY TO SMALL. (Who are they fitting these things to? middle school boys??!)

Anyway, Something you don't absolutly need, but I think I am going to get, is a tri-specific sports bag. I know anything will do, and I have one of those now. But, still, when it comes to hauling all the gear to and 'fro it might be easier. My wife might like it to, so a the stuff isn't 'all over the place' as she likes to say.

2007-01-10 5:56 AM
in reply to: #643142

User image

Aero bar question again...
Deciding on which ones.
I have read a few sites, and read some books on which areabar style to get. The concensus is to add 'short-cockpit' bars to a road geometry frame. What ever that means. Also multiple places have reccommended the profile gt jammer bar.

Now, if you go to the profile website, it says this bars are made for road riding in the aero position. Do you think these are a good way to go?
http://www.profile-design.com/2006_product_pages/aerobars/jammer_gt...

I believe most of the places reccommend this style so you don't get too incorrectly balanced on the road frame. I am also a small/short guy who is not all that flexible. These may stop me from being to streched out.

Do you reccommend any of these other style aerobars?
http://www.profile-design.com/2006_product_pages/aerobars/
2007-01-10 12:55 PM
in reply to: #648704

User image

Elite

hanson1427 - 2007-01-10 5:56 AM Aero bar question again... Deciding on which ones. I have read a few sites, and read some books on which areabar style to get. The concensus is to add 'short-cockpit' bars to a road geometry frame. What ever that means. Also multiple places have reccommended the profile gt jammer bar. Now, if you go to the profile website, it says this bars are made for road riding in the aero position. Do you think these are a good way to go? http://www.profile-design.com/2006_product_pages/aerobars/jammer_gt... I believe most of the places reccommend this style so you don't get too incorrectly balanced on the road frame. I am also a small/short guy who is not all that flexible. These may stop me from being to stretched out. Do you recommend any of these other style aerobars? http://www.profile-design.com/2006_product_pages/aerobars/

For the Money I think version #1 would be best.  I've heard the same info regarding installing short bars to road geometry.  I've seen a lot of people ride with those exact bars.  The second option looks like they'd work too, but I'm not sure...plus they're $100 more.

If you're not in a hurry to buy, and want more info, you should post this question in the Gear forum.  Maybe someone out there has use them and has a better recommendation.

Edited by oipolloi 2007-01-10 12:56 PM
2007-01-11 5:25 AM
in reply to: #629889

User image

Thanks,
At least my wife will be glad one of us looked at the price!

Now to find some. Any reccommendations for online bike shopping sites. I think I have heard of performance bikes.

Is there like a 'big-3' that you mostly look at.
Thanks yet again.
Ryan
2007-01-11 9:27 AM
in reply to: #650174

User image

Elite

hanson1427 - 2007-01-11 5:25 AM Thanks, At least my wife will be glad one of us looked at the price! Now to find some. Any recommendations for online bike shopping sites. I think I have heard of performance bikes. Is there like a 'big-3' that you mostly look at. Thanks yet again. Ryan

You're welcome Ryan.

The "big 4" I shop from are....
1) Performance Bike
2) Nashbar
3) Colorado Cyclist
4) All3Sports (triathlon gear store)

I've shopped at all four stores for years.  All of them are reputable and honest.

Happy shopping!

2007-01-11 10:03 AM

User image

Elite

Maia mentioned in her training log that she is suffering a little knee pain and thinks it might be related to a bike FIT issue.

Here's a few basic things to look at regarding proper bike fit...

Saddle Height:  When seated properly on the saddle your downward stretched leg (pedals should be in 6 & 12 o'clock position) should be ALMOST straight, but with a small bend.  If you unclip your foot and place the HEAL of your foot on the pedal Spindle your leg should be straight.  Your body should not tilt to one side or another.

Saddle Fore & Aft:  With your cranks in the 3 and 9 o'clock position the middle of your forward knee bone should be plumb with the spindle of your pedal.

For more details Google "bike fit" or visit this web site.

Note:  Poor bike fit is the #1 cause of knee pain.  So if you're feeling anything out of the ordinary in your knees, get it fixed immediately before it becomes a real problem.

2007-01-12 4:21 PM

User image

San Antonio
Michael,
Thank you for your kind words. The friend that died was actually my high school principal. Coming from a small Texas town growing up, this man had a huge impact on the lives of everyone he came in contact with and was just a great man that got struck down way too early.
Just to show how much he influenced people, on short notice of his death, still over 2500 people showed up to his service.
Based on some of the many eulogies, i just knew the tip of the iceberg with this man and he offered so much more. I am now using one of his favorite quotes in my signature and I am dedication my training to him. The tri that I am going to be competing in just happens to be in our home town as well.

Thanks
Jason

Edited by gr8jason 2007-01-12 4:27 PM
2007-01-12 4:30 PM
in reply to: #652892

User image

Elite

gr8jason - 2007-01-12 4:21 PM Michael, Thank you for your kind words. The friend that died was actually my high school principal. Coming from a small Texas town growing up, this man had a huge impact on the lives of everyone he came in contact with and was just a great man that got struck down way too early. Just to show how much he influenced people, on short notice of his death, still over 2500 people showed up to his service. Based on some of the many eulogies, i just knew the tip of the iceberg with this man and he offered so much more. I am now using one of his favorite quotes in my signature and I am dedication my training to him. The tri that I am going to be competing in just happens to be in our home town as well. Thanks Jason

Wow Jason.  That is powerful.  Sounds like an amazing man.

God rest his soul.

2007-01-13 3:03 PM

User image

Spokane, WA
Subject: Swimming
Hi All --

What a crazy week! I started a masters swim on Tuesday of this week, and it was great! I felt like th coach there knew what he was talking about, and that he offered sound, practical advice. I went back on Thursday evening (it meets T, TH) to work more on what I had taken away from Tuesday, and I feel good about what this will do for my swimming. I highly recommend finding a group to work with if you can.

Anyway, a couple of people have asked that I share some of the tips that I learn from the class, since we share similar weaknesses. Right off the bat the coach commented on my lack of rotation and instructed me to "catch the water" before pulling my stroke through. Apparently what I was doing was pulling a quick stroke and not gliding much at all. THis "About.com" website

http://swimming.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.go...

has a good film clip from underwater, too. The coach at the class also suggested that if I see a really good swimmer in the water, watch the swimmer from UNDERNEATH and see what s/he is doing. I thought that was really good advice.

While in the H20 on THursday I asked one of the other swimmers about the rotation (I saw that she did it well and wanted some tips). She suggested:
1) Push your shoulder into the water.
2) kick -- much of the rotation is done with your core
3) Imagine pointing your belly button to the wall opposite your stroke arm (that from the Total Immersion program Michael talks about).

Being a fairly visual learner, all of these tips were helpful for me. A drill that I learned on Tuesday really helps with #1 -- pushing the shoulder into the water. Instead of using a kickboard for a kick drill, kick on your side without a kickboard (ex: when swimming on your right side, your right arm will be extended, shoulder holding your head). In order to keep your feet from sinking, it will be necessary to push your head further down into your shoulder -- forcing you to trust the water.

It's a helpful drill because it reminds you to keep your body flat in the water while swimming (push the chest? down in order to keep your legs afloat), while also helping you get used to swimming on your side. I found it easiest (it's hard and really awkward at first -- and you'll swallow a ton of water) to side-swim for 1/2 length of the pool, then to do a full stroke and switch sides; if you're ambitious or advanced, you can stroke every five seconds or every five kicks.

As for other drills, I found this site with a description of several other good ones.
http://www.mvm.org/workouts-drills.php

Enjoy!

Lesley-Anne
2007-01-13 6:34 PM

User image

Elite

Great stuff Lesley Ann!  Thanks for sharing.  Sounds like you found a good group and a great swim coach.

I'm going to visit the web sites you posted and see how they differ from the T.I. dvd I have.  Sounds like what you experienced and T.I. have a lot in common.

Great work!

2007-01-15 7:59 PM

User image

Spokane, WA
Subject: pick me up pictures
Hey!

Ok, my husband sent me this link http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

of all these BT athletes all dressed up. Apparently he thought it necessary to post a pic of the two of us on the web... Anyway, it's sort of a neat idea, and it would be nice to put a real face with a real name. I'm quite shy about sharing real pics of myself, but if you're in, I'm in!
"Dress up" means anything other than your normal workout clothes -- deal?

2007-01-16 2:25 PM
in reply to: #655684

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: pick me up pictures

gentle_storm - 2007-01-15 7:59 PM Hey! Ok, my husband sent me this link http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... of all these BT athletes all dressed up. Apparently he thought it necessary to post a pic of the two of us on the web... Anyway, it's sort of a neat idea, and it would be nice to put a real face with a real name. I'm quite shy about sharing real pics of myself, but if you're in, I'm in! "Dress up" means anything other than your normal workout clothes -- deal?

I like the idea of putting a face to a name, but I'm the same way...I'm a bit shy about plastering my face on the internet.  The best you'll get from me are the photos I have in my Album area on BT. 

Now, how about everyone else either post photos in this thread or place some in your personal Album.

2007-01-23 1:12 AM

User image

New user

Singapore

Guess what! It's almost the end of January. Well, one week left on Wednesday. 

So...what happened to the picture idea? Does getting dressed up in a funny costume count?

We might have talked about this already, but who on here has yet to do their first race? For the experienced folks - any memories to share about your first race (what not to freak out about, what not to forget, registration issues, yada, yada)?

I've been doing a lot of bike shopping recently. Well not really shopping because I haven't bought anything yet. But almost everyone tells me about falling on a ride. One friend told me about how her feet came right out of her shoes as they stayed attached to the pedals! I don't mind falling. I used to play rugby and I'm quite friendly with the ground, but going at HIGH SPEEDS?! My question is, is it guaranteed...this falling business?

2007-01-23 9:47 AM
in reply to: #664304

User image

Elite
two degrees north - 2007-01-23 1:12 AM

Guess what! It's almost the end of January. Well, one week left on Wednesday. 

So...what happened to the picture idea? Does getting dressed up in a funny costume count?

We might have talked about this already, but who on here has yet to do their first race? For the experienced folks - any memories to share about your first race (what not to freak out about, what not to forget, registration issues, yada, yada)?

I've been doing a lot of bike shopping recently. Well not really shopping because I haven't bought anything yet. But almost everyone tells me about falling on a ride. One friend told me about how her feet came right out of her shoes as they stayed attached to the pedals! I don't mind falling. I used to play rugby and I'm quite friendly with the ground, but going at HIGH SPEEDS?! My question is, is it guaranteed...this falling business?

Hi Maia,
Yes!  February is right around the corner and Spring is soon to follow.  This is a good time to get your MIND as well as your body for your season of Triathlon.  This was a very good topic to start Maia, so I'll be the first to share my experience.

First race:  It was a Sprint distance (pool swim) triathlon.  Although I had trained quite a bit in all three disciplines, I had not yet learned how to swim very well.  As the race grew nearer I realized there's a chance I won't be able to swim the entire 500 yards so I practiced "pool running" as a recovery option, if on race day I panic and can't swim the entire distance.  I'd rather "run" in the pool than stand at the end gasping for air and burning time.  So race day came.  I was all ready to go.  My heat started at around 7:10 AM.  I got in my lane of the pool and BANG the gun sounded.  The first length went fine, but I wasn't relaxed or breathing.  On the return length I started sucking in water.  As I turned for the second of 10 laps I ran out of air and had to stand up.  I began "pool running" with short bursts of strokes in between.  This was good enough to get me through the swim portion and even lap my lane partner.

Out of the pool and onto my bike.  PAYBACK Time!  I hammered the bike portion, passing everyone in the field and even catching the "Competitive" group, which started ahead of us Age Groupers.  After the bike and onto the run I did OK, but suffered calf cramps about one mile into it.  They eventually subsided and I continued on and finished.  My finish time was around 1:24, which put me in First Place in the AG'ers (age groupers) category.  My first podium finish! 

What I learned?  Practice as you race.  Always have a back-up plan in place, as I did for the swim.  That way if things don't go as planned you aren't left stranded or giving up.  You can never do too many Run-to-Bike Bricks.  When I trained for the rest of my triathlons I always followed a Bike day with a short run.  Even if its just a mile.  During the other races I've done I passed a lot of people who were cramping and limping after the bike-to-run transition (T2). 

What not to forget?  Practice your T1 and T2 transitions during your training.  Have your bike helmet, sunglasses, gloves, etc all laid out when you start your ride.  And, have your running shoes, water, gel, etc laid out as you will in your TA (Transition Area).  Believe me, a lot of people don't think through or practice their transitions as much as they should, and you can always pick these people out of the crowd.  I've seen people do the Run portion of a triathlon with their bike helmet on, OR take off running without their Race Number, only to have to turn around and go back and get it.  Rules are that you can't finish the race without your number.....and, what you leave the transition area with you must keep with you.  You can't toss anything away during the race or hand off to anyone else.

Falling from the Bike:  Yep.  Everyone has to have at least ONE minor crash.  Typically its when you first learn to use Clipless Pedals.  You pull up to a stop sign and go to put your foot down but forget to "twist" the foot out and BAM....you go down.  Bruised Ego is all.  Falling at Speed is uncommon.  Just don't get close enough to other riders that you risk brushing their wheel.

Pictures:  Funny costume or not, it would be nice to put a face with the names.  Either post the pics here in this forum or in your personal Album.  You can see my ugly mug in my album. (race photos from my ironman).

2007-01-28 6:24 AM

User image

New user

Singapore

Hello everyone!

Great first tri story! Pool running seem like a good technique. Wonder if there's ocean running...  Think anyone's cheated on a tri by scuba-ing under everyone? LOL

Questions:
*I've heard rumors that we can't use headphones like mp3s in tris. True/false?\
*There's a biathlon (swim-run) March 4. The full distance is 1.5K swim 10K run. I'm pretty confident about the swim, but I haven't done a 10K yet since I just started training a few weeks ago. There is also a Sprint distance 750m swim and 5K run (but no finishers medal ). I want to finish comfortably but don't want to feel like I should have done more. I'm really bad at telling how long it takes to train for something. The event is 5 weeks away and registration ends on 11 Feb. What do you guys think?

2007-01-28 8:53 AM
in reply to: #670190

User image

Elite
two degrees north - 2007-01-28 6:24 AM

Hello everyone!

Great first tri story! Pool running seem like a good technique. Wonder if there's ocean running...  Think anyone's cheated on a tri by scuba-ing under everyone? LOL

Questions:
*I've heard rumors that we can't use headphones like mp3s in tris. True/false?\
*There's a biathlon (swim-run) March 4. The full distance is 1.5K swim 10K run. I'm pretty confident about the swim, but I haven't done a 10K yet since I just started training a few weeks ago. There is also a Sprint distance 750m swim and 5K run (but no finishers medal ). I want to finish comfortably but don't want to feel like I should have done more. I'm really bad at telling how long it takes to train for something. The event is 5 weeks away and registration ends on 11 Feb. What do you guys think?

First of all, thanks for burning my retinas with that bright green type-font. 

You are right.  Headphones, MP3 players etc are all strictly prohibited in all races, particularly in triathlon or cycling events.  The general rule for ALL group events is No headphones, even in marathons or shorter foot races.  There might not actualy be stipulated rules against wearing headphones in a foot race, but its just common courtesy not to wear music while competing.  In the USAT guide book it spells out the "laws" against wearing such devices.  Exact quote: No headsets, radio and/or headphones are allowed as per Section 3.4(1) of USAT Competitive Rules.

I think the 10k run is well within your reach Maia and think you could do the 1.5k / 10k biathlon.  Since you're such a strong simmer already I would cut back your swim focus and increase your LSD (long slow distance) Run.  5 weeks is plenty of time to get your run distance up to a 10k, even if you follow the 10% rule, which is not to increase your weakly LSD by more than 10%. 

Suggested training:  Do four Runs a week at Pace.  See below....
Week #1: 2- 5k @ pace.  1- 4k Intervals.  1- 6k LSD.
Week #2: 2- 5k @ pace.  1- 4k Intervals.  1- 7k LSD.
Week #3: 2- 6k @ pace.  1- 4k Intervals.  1- 8k LSD.
Week #4: 2- 6k @ pace.  1- 5k Intervals.  1- 9k LSD.
Week #5: 2- 7k @ pace.  1- 5k Intervals.  1- 7k LSD. Rest 1-2days, then race.

The day of the race watch your time splits and shoot for negative splits on the second 5k portion.  This will reserve your effort so that you finish strong.

How does that sound? 

2007-02-07 5:00 PM

User image

Spokane, WA
I never responded to the question about first races: I'm an absolute newbie to the tri, but I'm getting more and more excited (almost) every day that I train! I think that I have a few duathlons and oly/sprints that I'm signed up to do, with the ultimate goal being the Troica in Spokane, WA (where I'm from). I have the least amount of confidence in the water, but I've learned that consistent training is definitely the key. I've found a friend that might like to run with me outdoors as the weather gets nicer, and I always have my husband whom I can persuade to run with me (usually it works better if I mention the possibility of biking, too).

Now I don't remember any of the other questions that were asked, but I've been poking around (procrastinating from the books) and noticed that our group is super-quiet lately. Thought I'd spice up the conversation with something rather unoriginal .

A serious question, and I know that there has already been some information posted about it, but I'm thinking about aeros and what to look for. I don't have a "real tri bike", but a Fuji Roubaix road bike. I think that I would like to ride in the aeros, but also think that I need more miles on my legs before I can rationalize spending mega-bucks on something nice. At the same time, I don't want some crap weighing down my bike.... vague question, but I know that you like bikes Michael ... ANy further suggestions on what to look for in aero bars?

2007-02-07 6:07 PM
in reply to: #683301

User image

Elite

A serious question, and I know that there has already been some information posted about it, but I'm thinking about aeros and what to look for. I don't have a "real tri bike", but a Fuji Roubaix road bike. I think that I would like to ride in the aeros, but also think that I need more miles on my legs before I can rationalize spending mega-bucks on something nice. At the same time, I don't want some crap weighing down my bike.... vague question, but I know that you like bikes Michael ... ANy further suggestions on what to look for in aero bars?

Ah ha!  Our group IS alive!.....or at least some of us are.  Thanks for sparking the fire under group OiPolloi.

To answer you question about aero bars and "real tri bikes".  First of all, ANY bike you do a triathlon with is a REAL triathlon bike.   But I know what you're saying.  There's a physical and physiological benefit about riding in an Aero position.  First and foremost it places your body in a more aggressive posture that utilizes a different muscle group than straight up road or mtb riding position.  This position saves your legs for the run.  Secondly, the aero position is just that, Aero.  In this position you expose less of your body to wind.

Drawbacks of Aero:  If you're new to riding aero, practice as much as you can before you enter a race.  You basically stear with your elbows, which is a whole new feeling.  It takes a while to get used to.  If you're not properly set up in the aero position then its going to be painful.  Painful on your neck, shoulders, back and BUTT.  A proper fit and you'll be more comfy than in a road position.

Adding aero-bars to a road bike:  Not a problem.  You may have to make adjustments to your saddle angle, height, fore/aft.  Ideally you should have a qualified person adjust your Fit after adding aero bars.

What to buy:  Whatever is in your budget.  Profile Design makes a few different types of bars and are usually less expensive than other manufacturers.

Good to see the group up and around.

Everyone sound off!  Let me know how you're doing

2007-02-07 11:12 PM

User image

New user

Singapore

I'm here I'm here I'm here!!!

Ahhh...I've seriously been slacking on the training this week. Not because I've been lazy, but because I'm so BUSY! The gym closes at around 10pm and I usually get home between 9 and 10 so it's a tight squeeze. I'm going to have to find ways to train without the gym. BUT I did get my BIIIIIKEEE!!! I was so determined about giving it a custom paint job. I figured I'd take it across the border to Malaysia and get it done cheap. Apparently it's quite expensive. Well I don't know how much it costs if I brought it myself, but if I go through a bike shop it's a few hundred dollars. I wanted to paint on some cherry blossoms in black. Oh well. I'm just going to practice by decorating my water bottles. I will post pictures as soon as I get the chance. Hopefully after I go for a ride this weekend so you can see how pretty the bike is in the sunlight! It's a metallic aqua frame with black wheels, handlebars, and seat.

It was so funny riding around on it for the first time in the parking lot. It's soooo different from the bikes I've riden. Super light and ... sensitive? I felt a little unstable on it and my toes just barely touch the ground when I stop so I'll have to be careful with that. The guy who made it buys the parts directly from the manufacturer in Taiwain (the same parts that get sent over to the US/Europe to be branded, sent to Singapore, then sold at many many times the price) and puts it together for you exactly as you want it. I decided to get an aluminum frame, carbon fork, and a Shimano Ultegra groupset. It's a Fusion bike. I think the website is www.fusioncycle.com

I'm so excited to get out there again! I met up with a woman from the Singapore Women's Cycling Team and she's going to be my buddy for a morning ride on Saturday. Hopefully I won't wipe out!!

2007-02-08 2:51 PM
in reply to: #683638

User image

Elite
two degrees north - 2007-02-07 11:12 PM

I'm here I'm here I'm here!!!

Ahhh...I've seriously been slacking on the training this week. Not because I've been lazy, but because I'm so BUSY! The gym closes at around 10pm and I usually get home between 9 and 10 so it's a tight squeeze. I'm going to have to find ways to train without the gym. BUT I did get my BIIIIIKEEE!!! I was so determined about giving it a custom paint job. I figured I'd take it across the border to Malaysia and get it done cheap. Apparently it's quite expensive. Well I don't know how much it costs if I brought it myself, but if I go through a bike shop it's a few hundred dollars. I wanted to paint on some cherry blossoms in black. Oh well. I'm just going to practice by decorating my water bottles. I will post pictures as soon as I get the chance. Hopefully after I go for a ride this weekend so you can see how pretty the bike is in the sunlight! It's a metallic aqua frame with black wheels, handlebars, and seat.

It was so funny riding around on it for the first time in the parking lot. It's soooo different from the bikes I've riden. Super light and ... sensitive? I felt a little unstable on it and my toes just barely touch the ground when I stop so I'll have to be careful with that. The guy who made it buys the parts directly from the manufacturer in Taiwain (the same parts that get sent over to the US/Europe to be branded, sent to Singapore, then sold at many many times the price) and puts it together for you exactly as you want it. I decided to get an aluminum frame, carbon fork, and a Shimano Ultegra groupset. It's a Fusion bike. I think the website is www.fusioncycle.com

I'm so excited to get out there again! I met up with a woman from the Singapore Women's Cycling Team and she's going to be my buddy for a morning ride on Saturday. Hopefully I won't wipe out!!

Maia,
Congratulations on the new bike purchase.  I can't wait to see what it looks like.

Describing the feel of the bike as "sensitive" is accurate.  Road bikes, with their narrow tires and steep angles do make the feel very sensitive.

When does the weather in your area allow you to get outside and train?

2007-02-08 5:37 PM

User image

New user

Singapore

It has started to slow down with the rain so I'm going to try to get out and train on the bike.

I signed up for my first event. It's a sprint distance biathlon on March 4. The first tri is in April, but I'm not sure if I can make it because I'll be traveling.

So....I decided to ride my bike around the parking garage last night to get a feel for it. A few questions for you bike experienced folk:

*My elbows and palms (thumb area) ache from the pressure put on them. Am I not sitting right? Is the fit not right? Is this normal and I just have to get used to it?
*I was riding up the ramps of the parking garage and had some problems with shifting. If I shifted into the lowest (ehh...the biggest ring on the back wheel) gear the chain would pop off. I figured out that to avoid that I need to shift to the smaller ring on the cranks before reaching the lowest gear. Then when coming out of the hill if I don't shift to a higher gear before changing to the bigger ring on the cranks the chain would come off too. Is this normal and I just have to learn to shift correctly? Do I need to somehow tune the shifting mechanism?

That's all for now. Yah, where did everyone go!? We should make an oipolloi tri group logo. Heheh.

2007-02-09 10:36 AM
in reply to: #684542

User image

Elite

*My elbows and palms (thumb area) ache from the pressure put on them. Am I not sitting right? Is the fit not right? Is this normal and I just have to get used to it?

You could be sitting too far forward, therefor placing too much weight on your hands, wrist.  They should not hurt like you describe.  Might want to have your fit checked.  One thing to look for if you're sitting too far forward:  When seated on the bike look down at the Hub of your front wheel.  The view of the hub should be obstructed by your handlebars.  So, your view from your eyes, through the handlebars and into the front hub should be in line (roughly).  If you're sitting too far forward you'll see the handlebars behind the hub.  Tough to explain so let me know if I just confused you.

*I was riding up the ramps of the parking garage and had some problems with shifting. If I shifted into the lowest (ehh...the biggest ring on the back wheel) gear the chain would pop off. I figured out that to avoid that I need to shift to the smaller ring on the cranks before reaching the lowest gear. Then when coming out of the hill if I don't shift to a higher gear before changing to the bigger ring on the cranks the chain would come off too. Is this normal and I just have to learn to shift correctly? Do I need to somehow tune the shifting mechanism?

You may be "Cross Chaining".  Cross chaining is when you have your chain torqued too far to one side or another.  This happens when you are on the Big ring up front and the Big in back, or Small in front and Small in back.  This will cause the chain to fall off when shifting and can also cause damage to your drive train.  Never cross chain!  If this is not the case, then maybe you do need adjustments on your derailleurs.  Also, keep in mind that you should not be shifting your gears when your applying pressure to the pedals, such as climbing a ramp.  When climbing or descending you should spin your pedals lightly without pressure so that the chain doesn't "hop" off the gear.

That's all for now. Yah, where did everyone go!? We should make an oipolloi tri group logo. Heheh.

Maybe you're right.  An OiPolloi team logo.  I'll work on it. 

Picture of front Hub.

Edited by oipolloi 2007-02-09 10:42 AM
2007-02-16 3:24 PM

User image

Spokane, WA
Subject: eating enough
Hello!
It's Friday and it's a three-day weekend and I am so freakin' excited that I just want to jump out of my skin!

OK, so my concern/question right now is what I'm going to do about eating. I recognize that I have barely started burning calories, compared to what I will be doing once I pick up my mileage and times. The problem is...I really have a hard time eating. I know that it sounds a little bit odd, but it's seriously sometimes a burden to eat. I have pretty well sorted out what my needs are for everyday life -- given a generally active student lifestyle -- but I'm having a difficult time increasing my consumption as I increase my activity.

I've started to depend pretty heavily on protein bars (Cliff Builder Bars) because they give me decent nutrition and calories and require very little work. I eat a lot of fruit throughout the day, and I'm good about making a veggie-laden meal for us at night. It seems like for both my husband and me, our main concern is often getting enough protein (b/c vegetarian); I depend a lot on soy protein and beans because of a pretty sensitive stomach.

Right now, this is what my daily diet [usually] looks like:

6:30 a.m. protein shake (soy protein, berries, soy milk or water, 1/4 c oatmeal)
or 1/2 c oatmeal with almonds

9 a.m. apple maybe a Luna bar

11 a.m. apple

12:30 protein bar (270 cal, 20 g prot. 9 g fat) + fresh veggies

1:30 fruit -- banana or apple; sometimes raisins and almonds

4 p.m. -- sometimes another protein bar

sometime during my workout: GU-gel or banana

8:30-10 p.m. usually something along the lines of soup, or TVP + tomato sauce&veggies,
soy pasta (great protein!), stir-fry of veggies + protein, garden burger...
I think that my favorite recovery meal is the TVP (Texturized Veg. Protein) with tomato sauce -- either by itself, or with noodles/rice.

So, this is what my problem is: I feel like I am eating every few hours which is what I was taught to do to keep energy coming in. I don't know if I can eat any more frequently without getting absolutely sick of it, but I know that my calorie consumption is likely too low already (I can tell based on the amount of energy I have).

Does anyone have suggestions for EASY nutritious calories (little preparation, and easily transportable)? I don't want to struggle with training simply because I don't fuel myself adequately -- that seems like a waste, given all of the other things that I have no control over.
The problem is that if my stomach is telling me that it doesn't feel well, or that it isn't hungry, etc. the last thing I want to do is eat. This present moment is a perfect example: for a more substantial lunch today, I brought left-overs of our dinner from last night. I'm still staring at it.

I worked with a dietitian several years ago, and he showed me the diet of a competitive triathlete -- I will never be able to eat 10000+ calories a day unless it's through an IV. What he showed me, though, and what I have read about the amount of calories/energy spent during these events suggests that I need to have at least twice what I am getting right now.

Kind of a rambly way to ask a question, but any pointers?
Thanks, and peace,
Lesley-Anne

Edited by gentle_storm 2007-02-16 3:26 PM
2007-02-17 12:53 AM
in reply to: #693298

User image

Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: eating enough
OK. I think I finally figured out how to get a picture on here. This is me and my husband.
I don't have any digital pics of us sporting any gear .

2007-02-17 8:01 AM
in reply to: #693681

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: eating enough

gentle_storm - 2007-02-17 12:53 AM OK. I think I finally figured out how to get a picture on here. This is me and my husband. I don't have any digital pics of us sporting any gear .

Try again! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » OiPolloi's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 4