BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Watergirl's group - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-02-22 11:57 AM
in reply to: #698499

Subject: RE: Watergirl's group - FULL!
I feel really burned out. I have been at the Y too much. It sounds weird to say, but I am in a rut. I am tired, I hate the cold, I just don't wan to work out. But, I am going today bc my 3 year old has a make up ballet class and I can't just sit around so I am going to hop on the bike. I am bringing a book so we'll see if that makes it any easier. I guess I just want to do a race so I can feel the spirit/ adreneline of competion and know all this work is worth it. Anyone feel the same?
Also, has anyone purchased any gear yet? Any recommendations?

2007-02-22 6:36 PM
in reply to: #699403

New user
I am proud of myself today because I went on a 30 minute run ( ran 2 minutes, walk one minute). I am so happy because that means that I am officially out of my rut. Also, I am happy because the weather is getting warmer in Florida. I haven't bought any gear yet. What kind of gear do you need for a triathlon? This is my very first one, so forgive me if I asked a stupid question.
2007-02-22 9:08 PM
in reply to: #699961

Great job. Did you run in or outside? It's nice you are getting warmer weather. I really need it here. It is 30 right now, at least it's not 10 below!
People have told me about the benefit of tri suits and then having all your gear in a bag or crate. My husband has this little checklist, kind of a wipe off thing. I'll take a lok at that and let you guys know what it says. i just have bike shorts and the clip shoes for my bike, still no swimsuit or new ruynning shoes. I guess I have to get those things soon.
2007-02-23 10:21 AM
in reply to: #700071

New user
I ran outside for 30 minutes. Do you include yoga and pilates as part of your training? What are the benefits of doing yoga and pilates with the triathlon training?
2007-02-23 12:07 PM
in reply to: #700566

User image

nala - 2007-02-23 11:21 AM

I ran outside for 30 minutes. Do you include yoga and pilates as part of your training? What are the benefits of doing yoga and pilates with the triathlon training?

Personally i would include them, they are exercise. Both focus on the "core" or in other words your abdominal muscles. Strengthening these muscles help you be able to run and swim better. In general yoga and pilates also help your body to develop long, lean muscles which can help with most activities. But in my opinion if you can squeeze some other exercise into your schedule other than swim, bike, run I'd say go for it b/c there's less of a chance of burnout but also you strengthen those muscles!

my 2 cents.
2007-02-23 2:21 PM
in reply to: #700566

I was doing pilates at the Y, but not so much anymore. I can only have my daughter in the daycare for 2 hours and with cardio and the other class I take, it didn't work. I do weight training and muscle conditioning 3x a week, usually before my cardio. Do you belong to a gym or are there classes on campus you can join? If not, depending on what cable provider you have, we have Comcast and they have this thing called ON DEMAND. I can pick fitness classes to do anytime. Or checkout FIT TV's schedule. They have 20 to 30 minutes yoga and pilates classes. You'd be surprised at the classes they have on TV these days. Lots of variety. Or check out a different video each week from the public library. I also rip articles out of magazines all the time. I have one in front of me that is for abs, I'll scan it in and email it to you.
I have to say doing the weights makes the cardio not so boring. I also heard a trainer telling a client it is a good idea to do cardio for 15 minutes, then weights and then back to cardio. I tried this today and changing it up made a difference. I wasn't so bored.
We are getting more snow tomorrow, so my hopes of getting outside this weekend are dashed.

2007-03-13 11:44 AM
in reply to: #629910

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.

It's March already! How is the training going, ladies? Is the weather nicer where you are? It's hot today, cold the next down here in the South. And it's time to start getting ready for the tri season!

2007-03-13 12:21 PM
in reply to: #721309

New user
watergirl - 2007-03-13 12:44 PM

It's March already! How is the training going, ladies? Is the weather nicer where you are? It's hot today, cold the next down here in the South. And it's time to start getting ready for the tri season!

I have decided to try to participate in a running race because I need to get my increase my endurance. I decided to use the training program from couch to 5k (aggressive program) and am going to involve biking into my training.
2007-03-13 8:07 PM
in reply to: #721394

I had a hard time these last 2 weeks- I hurt my shoulder and then I was teaching a class at my daughter's school. I am back on track this week. It was almost 70 today and should be in the 60's tomorrow. Then we are back to the 30's and 40's for the rest of the week. It stinks, but it is good to get outside. I am going for a long walk/run tomorrow- as long as my daughter lets me push her in the stroller- which may not be too long bc of her latest crankiness
Hopefully , the last week of the month things will turn around and I'll be outside more. I may be out of my April tri, still haven't found a bike, but am shooting for the Subaru Womens Tri on June 24th. I think it's a better place for me to start. My husband can be there with my girls watching and cheering me on. Plus my folks and other family members said they will be there too. Can't let down the family
2007-03-14 8:19 AM

User image

Not much going on here. My son caught rotavirus and we were cooped up inside for over a week. Well except for the 10 hour visit to the ER. But he's fine after a long scare. But i'm still exhausted and falling into bed at night. So my lack of energy has not helped with getting me to the Y to exercise. We had a beautiful day yesterd 70's and sunny. I took them to the park and then later that day went on a somewhat fast paced walk with the kids in a stroller for about 30 minutes. today...rainy and drab...yuck.

I go on a retreat this weekend with some women from church so i'm hoping that it will truly be a retreat and that i'll come back well rested and ready to "tackle" the week including swim, bike and run.
take care!
2007-03-15 4:11 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.

nala, great job on considering the run first. Once you've finished a 5K, the rest doesn't seem quite as daunting. Plus, this time of year is perfect for getting outside!

Cara, how's your shoulder? Did you get the walk in? The key to this is just ease into it doing something. It's not quite as shocking as doing hours and hours of training (which I still don't do). And June is a good amount of time to train for your first tri. Plus, the water should be warmer!

Beth, enjoy the retreat! Go to bed early, if that's possible! I went on a ladies' church retreat a few weeks ago and it was wonderful, except for the lack of sleep. It's just refreshing to connect with other ladies! I'm glad your son is okay. 

Have a great Thursday, y'all!  

2007-03-16 3:17 PM
in reply to: #724513

Hey~ I am better. I just slept on it wrong, really wrong, and was so worried I tore something. I freaked a little bit, but am way better. I am back on track and feel pretty confident that the June tri is my best start. I really have my mind set and once I send in the fee, there is no turning back
Also, I mentioned that my hubby had this great race day checklist and I found it and the website where it can be ordered. It is a race day checklist from www.3-fitness.com . It has categories for registration, transition, swim, bike, run, nutrition and general. It's a small wipe off board that my husband velcro-ed to the top of his bin that he holds everything in. Not sure how much it is, but I will be getting one for myself. Check it out.
How is everyone else doing? The weather seems to be turning around here.
Have a great weekend!
Cara
2007-04-01 3:37 PM
in reply to: #724513

New user
I am reading a book called Breakthrough Triathlon Training and it stated this quote that made me think:"Results happen naturally when motivation is pure". That quote made me realize that it does not matter whether or not I participate in a triathlon this summer or not. I realized that I should be doing triathlon training for the joy of it all. Right now, I do not have the money to enter into triathlon and running races, but I am still going to do triathlon training for the fun of it and how happy I am after I skip and dance every other day (I do not have a swimsuit, but I will get one as soon as I have enough money to get one-the life of a college student: broke, broke, broke). I think that it has taken me awhile to realize that I should do triathlon training for the love and joy of it and not because I need to lose a few pounds because (from what I read in my local newspaper) I will not stick to the triathlon training regimen if I focus on how many pounds I lose or need to lose. I wanted to state this because the beginner triathlete mentor program is about mentor prospective triathletes and see their mental and physical progression.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Watergirl's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 5