General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Another newbie...trying for 1st tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-10 7:03 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: Another newbie...trying for 1st tri
Hi all!

A few weeks ago I wouldn’t have imagined that I’d be checking out sites like this. Several gals I’ve met in the locker room and on mountain bike club rides mentioned that they do triathlons here in Tucson. I checked out a few websites and found that there are several events here in southern AZ. When I was out on travel on Tuesday last week, I picked up “Triathlons for Women” by Sally Edwards from a bicycle-themed booth in the Denver airport. I read the whole thing in a few days, and started to feel like I could try a race. Thinking back to the gals that I ran into, I thought that if they could do it, I probably could too.

The next race in Tucson is Oct. 17th. It’s a sprint race with a 825 yd swim, 12 mi bike, and 3 mi run. My goal is to try it and finish, and have the most fun possible (not worry about time). But I want to be prepared, and don’t want to kill myself. Biking is my strongest sport (I mountain bike, race cylocross in the fall, and commute once in awhile), and 12 mi won’t be too bad, even with a swim before it. I’m not too worried about training for the 3 mi run since I can walk portions if I have to. It’s the swim that’s got me nervous. I suck at swimming, so I’ve mapped out a training plan (based off of several resources on the web) to work my way to that distance before October. I’ve also got the biking and running planned in there as well.

We got back into town from vacation yesterday afternoon. I went ahead and checked out the local pool, and bought a punch pass. Then I went and got a new 1-piece swimsuit and cap (already had goggles). This morning I got up and headed to the pool, and did 200 yds before work, per the plan. Geez, right now I can’t imagine swimming 4 times that distance. I don’t know where the enthusiasm is coming from, but I figured I’d better act on it now while it’s there.

The big thing that has me worried is committing to the race. The website says entries fill fast, and usually closes 4-6 weeks before the race. Yikes! At that time I’ll be half way through the training plan, if I stick with it. The worst thing is that they require an estimated 800 yd swim time, to figure out what wave you should start in. By the recommended 4-6 wk entry time, I’ll only be up to 500 yds or so. So I guess I’ll have to do some extrapolation. Still, maybe if I sign up at the recommended time, the financial commitment will be extra incentive.

The main reason I want to do this is to try something new and have fun, and to help my fitness for my other sports. In late November the cyclocross season starts, and I think the extra fitness from swimming will help my cyclocross racing. Plus, I should be able to use some of the cyclocross skills in the tri. I’ll be able to do the flying leap onto the bike from a jog out of the transition area, and a wicked dismount from the bike heading to the run. I also roadrace motorcycles, and the tri training should really help with that. For me, I need a goal like an event to work towards. If I just try to swim, bike, or run for the sake of staying fit, I tend to stray from the routine and easily skip workout days.

This site seems really cool, and I stumbled onto it by entering “triathlon training log” in Google. But there’s a ton more info and features on here than just the log, so I’m going to try to soak up as much as possible. Plus, the more I learn, the more I get motivated to stick with it.

So hopefully in a few months I’ll be part of the group that has tried a tri!

P-)

2004-08-10 7:42 PM
in reply to: #46167

User image

Expert
Montreal
Subject: RE: Another newbie...trying for 1st tri
Hey PirateGirl,

Congrats on planning to try a Tri. You should do it - even if you have to side stroke the whole 800 just do it.
I am just starting to train to do a tri next year, but if I had an event available to me like the one you describe I would give it a go even though I can barely do 300 meters in the pool right now. I know I could muddle make it out of the water eventually.

What have you really got to lose? Your entry fee? You can't hit the goal unless you take the shot.

Good luck,

FatMan
2004-08-11 12:03 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

sign up!  it will keep u more motivated and honest.  even if you dont get to the distancec u want to on race day, u will get a great boost from the enviroment.  u can do whatever swim stroke u need to get through that part...dont let it worry u.

u can do it.

2004-08-11 1:33 AM

User image

Central Louisiana
As it has been said before, don't blame us when you get hooked!  Welcome!
2004-08-11 10:44 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome!  Stick with the swimming - you'll be ok - you have lots of time to prepare!  Good luck!
2004-08-11 12:21 PM

User image

Brockton, Ma
Welcome, great to have you hear! Thanks for sharing your story!

2004-08-11 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
welcome! hang in there with the swimming. It should get much better.

-tbone
2004-08-11 2:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Welcome to the site and good luck with your training.
2004-08-11 2:32 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Thanks guys! Even if I have to doggie paddle, I'm going to try to get through the swim. Thought I was gonna die this morning after 250 yds (with resting in between). I just have to remind myself that it was this hard when I first started biking, and it got better after I had done it for awhile.

P-)
2004-08-12 2:34 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-08-12 3:43 AM

2004-08-12 4:42 PM

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Hi TJ! Yep, that's me that just signed up on the TTG site. I'm getting totally immersed now in the online tri resources, but I figure the more info, the better. There is so much that I don't know, so it's great that there are resources like BT and TTG. It's much appreciated!

Thank you for the recommendations on signing up now! I was fretting about turning in a guessed time, but also not getting the entry in early enough. But what you said put me at ease. I'll definitely go ahead and sign up now!

I'm swimming at Clements community pool (east side of town) in the mornings before work. It's not too far out of the way, and seems to be working well. Nice and quiet in the mornings for adult lap swim. I'll definitely check out the UA one before the race. No ladders?!? Yikes! Guess I'll be doing the slug roll to get out. When it gets closer I also want to pre-ride the bike route and pre-run the run route. I heard TTG has swim clinics on Sundays, so I'll have to check one out. I've only got one free Sun this month where we're not out of town, but any help at this point will probably do wonders.

Thanks again, and hope to see you at a meeting/gathering/race soon!

P-)
2004-08-12 5:34 PM

2004-08-13 12:39 AM

Veteran
San Diego, CA
I feel your pain, I jumped in the pool the first time 5 months ago and almost died after 150m.. Now I can knock back 800-1000 with out a problem. Best advice I found was find someone to show you how to swim. I thought "the faster arm stroke, the better". Boy was I wrong. Find someone knowledgable and ask them about stroke counting and how it effects(sp?) your times....good luck...
2004-08-13 10:16 AM

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Hello, and welcome to the site! Best of luck with your training!

Kelly
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Another newbie...trying for 1st tri Rss Feed