BT Development Mentor Program Archives » marymosc13's group THE V.A.M.P.S., FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2006-12-29 8:06 PM
in reply to: #630120

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: RE: marymosc13's group, FULL

I hear ya, Michele. I'm proud of your putting yourself first now. (though as fellow moms/mums we both know that if your family needs you, you'll be there) Finding balance between home life and athlete life is difficult.

I would consider the warm ups and cool downs in addition to the actual time you spend on any one sport. However, if you are finding it hard to maintain those times, reduce the overall time you spend running/biking/swimming and build up slowly. Listen to your body - very important, and don't forget to stretch!

2006-12-30 1:20 PM
in reply to: #636905

News Years Resolution. Humm. I agree with the rest of you that Caffenine and giving more time to myself would be a good thing! Iam hoping this training program will help me address those things.

I swam today and I am laughing at thinking I can do the swim portion of a tri. I tried really hard. I have never swam for exercise. I did it for 30 minutes, some of it good, some if it a joke. How long does it ake to gain endurance in this area?

Here is to the first day of no snow in Colorado and streets we can drive on!!!! YIPPIE!!!!
2006-12-30 3:18 PM
in reply to: #637290

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

sut2burns - 2006-12-30 2:20 PM News Years Resolution. Humm. I agree with the rest of you that Caffenine and giving more time to myself would be a good thing! Iam hoping this training program will help me address those things. I swam today and I am laughing at thinking I can do the swim portion of a tri. I tried really hard. I have never swam for exercise. I did it for 30 minutes, some of it good, some if it a joke. How long does it ake to gain endurance in this area? Here is to the first day of no snow in Colorado and streets we can drive on!!!! YIPPIE!!!!

Jenny, don't despair. My first time in the pool, I couldn't get all the way across at all. 12 laps is great for a first time out. You need to focus on the positive. Next time you'll do 14 laps and then add two more and before you know it you'll be doing the 36 that equals 1/2 mile (900 yds). If you are in a 25 yard pool, 12 laps equals 300 yards - so fix your log. You are a third of the way to the distance! I would expect your endurance to increase gradually - say in a month you'll see real distance added on. Confession time: At Danskin, I doggie paddled through the swim portion of the race, I was too freaked out to even try to swim with my head under water, but I finished!

Happy no snow day! and just keep swimming!

2006-12-30 5:11 PM
in reply to: #636905

User image

Regular
Pennsylvania
New Year's resolution other than the Tri is to get out more... what I mean is that I spend so much time with work that I don't meet many people outside of the job. Training so far has been great for meeting people.

I would also like to max my army physical fitness test this year but I seem to say that every year and I fall short every year...lol! I have to do 46 push-ups in 2min, 80 sit-ups in 2 min, and run my 2miles in under 15:36.

What is everyone doing for New years?

2006-12-30 5:23 PM
in reply to: #637402

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

No real plans for New Years... we're having family come over for dinner (I'm making shrimp and pasta, my specialty!) and an organic salad of romaine lettuce, cuke and cherry tomatoes - then lots of munchies as we watch the ball drop and drink ourselves into cheery moods (that'd be me, blocking out the fact that I have to share my New Year's with my obnoxious brother in law)

I'm impressed by the rigors of your army training, I am pretty sure I'd be hard pressed to complete those tasks - so you go girl!

I do have a resolution now - to get up early and walk/run the dog before the rest of the house is up, because if he's not properly exercised that bonehead will get into trouble every time - like he did today. His wastepaper basket diving habit made me 1/2 hour late to work today!

2006-12-30 5:39 PM
in reply to: #637409

User image

Regular
Pennsylvania
LOL! That is funny about your dog! I needed a good laugh this evening!! I'm sure you will have a wonderful time with your family (once you have a drink or two)! I am off to church tonight. Feel free to email me sometime, have a great evening ma'am!

2006-12-31 7:24 PM

Happy New Year everyone!

It is just gone midday on Jan 1 here in Sydney. We just had a quiet night at home with the kids last night. They were allowed to stay up until 12, then we all went to bed after watching the fireworks on TV. Slept in until 9am.

I went for my first bike ride in ages (like over a year) this morning at 10:30. I got new tyres (tires) for my bike. It is a hybrid that I bought in 1991 and my hubby and I cycle toured Europe on it in 1992. I was determined to go this morning, but first I had to overcome a few obstacles. DH's car was parked behind mine and it was low on fuel so it would not start - I had to get DH to fix that up and then it started to shower rain by the time I could go.

The bike track is 5 minutes away from my home, but I went anyway. It did rain a tiny bit while I was out, but for the most part it was OK. I forgot my water bottle. Lucky there was a bubbler (drinking water) at the end of the lake and I could get a drink there. I rode 10km in about 35 minutes. It is storming and raining a lot now, so I am glad I went then. The pool is closed today, so I had planned to do my run instead later on today...I will have to see what the weather brings. I will swim tomorrow at 7am and do my run if the weather permits in the afternoon.

That's it for now - have a good night! I am going to watch Times Square, NYC, on web cam later.

Michele
2006-12-31 11:52 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
yo happy new year all y'all, i've had enough cap't morgan and coke to kill a horse so i'm sending ya a drunk happy new year and good wishes for 2007!
2007-01-01 9:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
*LOL*  Mary, I know I'm not in your group so I hope you don't mind me stalking (I read carol's too) but that was funny   I hope you're not feeling the effects too much this morning!  Happy new year everyone, you've got quite a firecracker for a mentor
2007-01-01 1:36 PM
in reply to: #638287

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

maxpixie - 2007-01-01 10:41 AM *LOL*  Mary, I know I'm not in your group so I hope you don't mind me stalking (I read carol's too) but that was funny   I hope you're not feeling the effects too much this morning!  Happy new year everyone, you've got quite a firecracker for a mentor

thanks mama! consider yourself an honorary member of our mentor group! visit anytime! i've got a wee headache, but i remembered to re-hydrate before passing out at 3 am, so i'm better off than i would have been otherwise. now i just need some good hangover munch-food for today and i'll be myself again. thankfully this is a rest day for me. i should do some yoga to stretch because my quads are sore from my run yesterday. maybe later... much.

2007-01-01 1:42 PM
in reply to: #638075

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

Michelet - 2006-12-31 8:24 PM Happy New Year everyone! It is just gone midday on Jan 1 here in Sydney. We just had a quiet night at home with the kids last night. They were allowed to stay up until 12, then we all went to bed after watching the fireworks on TV. Slept in until 9am. I went for my first bike ride in ages (like over a year) this morning at 10:30. I got new tyres (tires) for my bike. It is a hybrid that I bought in 1991 and my hubby and I cycle toured Europe on it in 1992. I was determined to go this morning, but first I had to overcome a few obstacles. DH's car was parked behind mine and it was low on fuel so it would not start - I had to get DH to fix that up and then it started to shower rain by the time I could go. The bike track is 5 minutes away from my home, but I went anyway. It did rain a tiny bit while I was out, but for the most part it was OK. I forgot my water bottle. Lucky there was a bubbler (drinking water) at the end of the lake and I could get a drink there. I rode 10km in about 35 minutes. It is storming and raining a lot now, so I am glad I went then. The pool is closed today, so I had planned to do my run instead later on today...I will have to see what the weather brings. I will swim tomorrow at 7am and do my run if the weather permits in the afternoon. That's it for now - have a good night! I am going to watch Times Square, NYC, on web cam later. Michele

great job overcoming all those obstacles to get in the saddle! great way to begin 2007 too, i might add!

2007-01-01 10:07 PM

User image

Veteran
hey mary's group. best wishes for great 2007, the year of the triathlete!

you have a cooky, crazy, fun and wonderful mentor here!
2007-01-02 9:27 AM

User image

Regular
Hello, and a late HAPPY NEW YEAR!
It was a busy weekend at our house, but it was enjoyable. 
Michele, my dh's dream is to cycle tour Europe. That must have been amazing!
Have a wonderful day all!
Becky

Edited by Nimefurahi 2007-01-02 9:30 AM
2007-01-03 5:47 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: RE: marymosc13's group, FIVE CHICKS WHO ROCK!

hola mis chicas! (hello my girls!)

the new year's eve hangover, memory has faded and now its down to business!

so far, I'm not so good w/my getting up early resolution, but i've run every day i'm supposed to according to my training plan. its the going to bed on time that i'm struggling with more than the getting up, believe it or not.

how are all y'all doing? check in and give us the scoop!

2007-01-03 8:42 PM

Regular
Lone Star State
I am humming along with the runnign and biking despite getting caught in the rain today! Swimming workouts will start for me in one week. I have a swim coach who will help me improve my stroke.
2007-01-03 9:02 PM
in reply to: #641473

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

Brachiator - 2007-01-03 9:42 PM I am humming along with the runnign and biking despite getting caught in the rain today! Swimming workouts will start for me in one week. I have a swim coach who will help me improve my stroke.

great going! getting a swim coach is a smart move. please keep us posted on any easy to share tips that he/she might give you... its always good to keep learning new techniques!

2007-01-04 7:40 AM

Hello everyone!

I would love coaching on swiming.l I think I am going to look for a masters class. I got in pool a couple of days ago did not worry about time and swam a half mile in 25 minutes. Bad time but I proved to my self I could last.

I am stinking at the getting to bed early also. I have gotten up everyday except today!!!!!!!!!!! I missed my training session. AGHHHHHHH!!! However my exercise routine I have stuck to!!!!

I am wondering what people do for food. I have been starving since I strated doing cross training. I really want to focus on loosing weight but I am unsure what to do. I also had a girlfriend tell me that swimming kicked her into high gear for food so maybe this is normal when adding swiming to the exercise plan???????

The one thing I feel really good about right now is a feel like I could really do this by June. YEAH!!!!! I know we all can!

2007-01-04 9:04 AM

User image

Regular

Goodmorning all!

I also feel like I am doing ok. I am getting up every morning, which always feels good when I'm done!  I definately think it is normal to get more hungry when you are working out more.  The trick for me is just making sure I make healthy choices when I feel hungry, rather then poptarts and a coke. 

I will start my swimming on Saturday, yeah!!!

Thanks for the encouragement Mary!

2007-01-04 6:03 PM
in reply to: #641767

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

sut2burns - 2007-01-04 8:40 AM Hello everyone! I would love coaching on swiming.l I think I am going to look for a masters class. I got in pool a couple of days ago did not worry about time and swam a half mile in 25 minutes. Bad time but I proved to my self I could last. I am stinking at the getting to bed early also. I have gotten up everyday except today!!!!!!!!!!! I missed my training session. AGHHHHHHH!!! However my exercise routine I have stuck to!!!! I am wondering what people do for food. I have been starving since I strated doing cross training. I really want to focus on loosing weight but I am unsure what to do. I also had a girlfriend tell me that swimming kicked her into high gear for food so maybe this is normal when adding swiming to the exercise plan??????? The one thing I feel really good about right now is a feel like I could really do this by June. YEAH!!!!! I know we all can!

that's the spirit! great job! doing the distance is really what counts in your first tri - set your own bar the first time out and then next time (and there will be a next time) you can try to beat yourself!

i have become a "gavon" which is italian for "can't stop eating" since starting this training program. make healthy, nutritious choices and you'll be fine. remember that nutrient dense foods like kale, spinach and other dark greens should be high on the priority list of menu items. throw them in a fruit smoothie and you won't even taste it (if you are not so inclined for the greeny stuff) basically - don't let yourself get starving, either... eat lots of small meals/snacks through the day - keep your blood sugar up!

2007-01-04 8:07 PM
in reply to: #641913

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Nimefurahi - 2007-01-04 10:04 AM

Goodmorning all!

I also feel like I am doing ok. I am getting up every morning, which always feels good when I'm done!  I definately think it is normal to get more hungry when you are working out more.  The trick for me is just making sure I make healthy choices when I feel hungry, rather then poptarts and a coke. 

I will start my swimming on Saturday, yeah!!!

Thanks for the encouragement Mary!

my pleasure - that's what i'm here for. check out the pop tarts thread in the cup of joe forum, it got quite heated at times about why athletes should or should not eat junk food.

good luck with the swimming - send updates here so we can all cheer you on!

2007-01-05 7:13 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

Happy Friday! Though I think its already Saturday for Michele...

I've been thinking 'bout our group and this thread and while the "fame" of my name being the title of the group is an honor... we need a new name! I don't have any suggestions right now, because I'm typing this message pre-morning coffee, but I think among the six of us, we could come up with something COOL!

Turn on your thinking caps and lets get creative!

2007-01-05 9:30 PM

Have fun this next week ladies! I have dug myself out of the snow (*AGAIN) , and am on my way to Mexico for a week. I will still do walk/running and lift weights. It feels good to be back to training!!!!

I am game for whatever name..... I know that is lame that I did not offer a name but hey I will promise to go with the crowd!
2007-01-06 10:06 AM
in reply to: #644415

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

sut2burns - 2007-01-05 10:30 PM Have fun this next week ladies! I have dug myself out of the snow (*AGAIN) , and am on my way to Mexico for a week. I will still do walk/running and lift weights. It feels good to be back to training!!!! I am game for whatever name..... I know that is lame that I did not offer a name but hey I will promise to go with the crowd!

no prob! where in Mexico? we took a trip to Puerto Vallarta in Dec. and it was AMAZING! have a great and safe trip...

2007-01-07 7:39 PM

Regular
Lone Star State
There goes the NY resolution....

I went to Macaroni Grill today for lunch. I did great diet-wise: small portion size, only one piece of bread, not too much pasta and all before my long run. Now, here is where I broke.......8 Diet Cokes. That is about 6 too many. I even had a glass of water going. The up side is I drank 6 glasses of water as well.

I hope I can sleep tonight!
2007-01-08 9:49 AM
in reply to: #645616

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

Brachiator - 2007-01-07 8:39 PM There goes the NY resolution.... I went to Macaroni Grill today for lunch. I did great diet-wise: small portion size, only one piece of bread, not too much pasta and all before my long run. Now, here is where I broke.......8 Diet Cokes. That is about 6 too many. I even had a glass of water going. The up side is I drank 6 glasses of water as well. I hope I can sleep tonight!

congrats on watching what you ate, but whoa! that's a LOT of diet coke! good job countering it with the water... how did you rest that night? i'd have been up to pee several times at least, not to mention the caffeine effect on sleeping overall... i'm not your momma, so i won't lecture you... but may i offer a suggestion? next time, try to order a club soda with a splash of cranberry juice and a squeeze of lime, or a splash of oj, or do a half diet coke/half club soda to cut down on the syrup... kind of "water down" the diet coke if possible. today's a new day to keep the resolution and say no to the diet coke!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » marymosc13's group THE V.A.M.P.S., FULL Rss Feed  

of 17