Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2006-12-21 11:10 AM

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: Madcow's group - FULL

Name: Madcow / Tom

Story: I'm a 37 year old male. I started running to lose weight, then I bought a bike to ride with some coworkers. While looking up a 5k running race I stumbled onto a sprint triathlons. Like most people I thought all triathlons were Ironman distance races and held in Kona I looked at the distance and knew I could do it, but when I drove to the race siite and looked at the water, I chickened out and didn't race. I waited all summer then did one of the local tri club's monthly races and was hooked. That was 5 years ago and have been racing ever since. I did sprint races for a few years but the quest to break one hour was no longer appealing to me, so I tried longer distances. I did a half Ironman race and didn't really like that distance because it was a cross between pacing yourself and all out racing. I then moved to the Ironman distance which is the perfect distance for me. I'm not fast so I like the idea of pacing and nutrition vs. all out speed. Plus, if your are going to spend six months training, it might as well be for a race that is twice the distance, right?

Family Status: I have two kids (8 and 5) and a wife who just started doing triathlons and duathlons herself (Happycow)

Current Training: Currently I am training for Ironman Arizona. My wife and I have an agreement that I do an early season Ironman, so I train during the winter and she races all spring and summer. This year, if everything goes as plans, I will attempt to race in the Virginia Double Iron race this October as well...with Happycow's approval, of course.
I'm not a technical trainer, myself, but I use a coach for most of my longer distance races. For the shorter distance races, I just do what "feels" right for me.

Last years races: I only did one race last year, Ironman Coeur d' Alene.
I started a Swim Buddy program here in San Diego for most of the local sprint races, so I focused mainly on making sure the program went smoothly and that Happycow could do as many races as she wanted.

2007 races: Ironman Arizona and the Virginia Double

Weightloss: My weight fluctuates depending on what time of the season it is. I top out around 200 and have raced as low as 180 (those days are long gone )

I would be more than happy to help anyone. But, I'm not fast nor am I super technical. Just a simple guy who likes to be outside

Take care

Tom

Edited by madcow 2006-12-27 5:45 PM

2006-12-23 11:53 PM
in reply to: #630395

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: RE: Madcow's group - Open
If it's possible to mentor and be mentored at the same time, then I'd love to be in this group.
2006-12-24 12:10 PM

User image

I would like to join your group.

Story: I am 38 and showed up at my doctors office last March with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and was seriously overweight. She told me that if I kept on the path I was on, I wouldn't be around to see my sons graduate high school. We set up a goal to train for a supersprint triathlon in August. Started walking and then jogging. I borrowed bike and began to swim short distances. With the help of my wife, I totally changed my diet. The end result was a success completion of my first triathlon in August '06 and a loss of over 30lbs.

Family Status: Married for 7 years to my college crush and we have two sons 5 and 2

Current Training: HELP...I am sliding and need some accountability.

Last Years Races: One supersprint tri and one sprint tri in North Carolina; Richmond, VA Sprint Tri in October; Gallop 'n' Gorge 8K in Carborro, NC on Thanksgiving Day.

2007 Races: Goal is to train for and complete one Olympic distance Tri and three sprint tri's.

Weightloss: 30lbs from March through November. I have put on 10lbs since Thanksgiving.

I'm not a technical racer. I race to finish and to stay healthy. I am slipping and hope answering to someone will help to keep me motivated and training in the right direction.

Happy Holidays!!

H
2006-12-25 7:39 AM

User image

Elite
San Diego

Herman, Welcome! And Felix, I will keep an eye on you as well, although I could learn a thing or two from you as well

I will check back in early this week

Tom

2006-12-25 11:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

I'll write my bio correctly, now.

Name: dragoman / Félix

Story: I'm 34 on January 9th. Not an absolute beginner, I started "training" for the first time before turning 30, only mountain biking. Less than a year later I was taking part in multisport races, but no swimming. Because of a running injury, I started swimming around August 2004 and did my first tri in October of that same year. Made quick progress on the swim but then kind of got stuck in the same place. I had a long recovery from ITBS but kept the running volume/intensity low and lost some speed though I wasn't fast to begin with. I've completed two iron-distance races, albeit at a slow pace.

Family Status: I live and train with Mayde, and we're set to get married in 2007.

Current Training:In late January, I'll start to train for Hombre de Hierro (Venezuela) to be held on July 29th.  As in my two previous IM attempts, I'll be basing most of my training on Gail Bernhardt's 26-week IM plan. At present, I'm loosely following Mayde's HIM training plan with her until I begin my own. Won't start swimming until mid-January as my local pool is closed.

Last year's races: Completed 1 Iron-distance race, but had a slow swim, blew a tire on an otherwise good ride and had a slow run (but beat my own result from the previous year). Though it was a satisfactory result, I got the feeling that I could do much better

2007 races: Hebraica (1k-40k-10k) April 10th; Margarita Island HIM on June 11th; Hombre de Hierro (iron-distance) on July 29th ("A" race) + a bunch of MTB races in between and afterwards...I'm hoping the bike will pretty much take care of itself as long as I put in the necessary time in the saddle and want to focus on becoming an efficient swimmer and a faster, injury-free runner. I'll also compete in a few adventure races though no dates have been posted yet. 2007 will be a busy and ambitious year for me on a personal level (completing my studies, getting married, migrating to Australia) and also in sports, as I feel I could, with guidance and self-discipline, step it up a bit.

Weightloss: My weight is also an issue as I'm constantly battling my self-control and food choices. I know that just by lowering my body fat, I'll definitely get faster. I'm currently at the heaviest I've been over the last three years. 

2006-12-26 11:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ
Hello All. I'd like to join this group!

Name: PanicTour / Keith

Story: I'm a 30 year old male living in Philadelphia. I've always been active but overweight. Three years ago I took 3 months off work and hiked 600 miles of the Apalachian Trail. I lost over 35 lbs in the process but once I returned the a normal life, all the weight went back on. Last year I did a 1/2 marathon and although I trained consistenly and had no trouble finishing, I didn't lose any weight in the process. I thought the training was a license to eat anything! With the new year almost upon us, I am dedicating myself to consistent training and better nutrition.

Family Status: Married for 2 years, no kids (yet)

Current Training: Currently I am training for another 1/2 marathon.

Last years races: Last year I did my 1st 1/2 marathon in Long Branch, NJ with my wife.

2007 races:
Lehigh Valley (PA) 1/2 Marathon - April 29th
Philly Sprint Tri - June 23rd

Weightloss: Weightloss and a more healthy lifestyle are the main reasons for my committment to training. I'm currently at 240 and hope to be under 200 by the end of 2007.

2006-12-26 11:35 AM
in reply to: #633221

User image

Elite
San Diego

Welcome Keith! I am honored that you chose my group!

I have struggled with the exact same weight issues myself and even though I know what mistakes I have made in the past, I still slip and fall into the same old routine of overeating because I am training. Together I think we will get over this!

So, the key is (starting today) to log everyday, even if you don't workout. It's a good habit to get into and it lets everybody else know what's going on. We will all learn from each other.

Again,

Thanks for joining this group

Tom

2006-12-26 2:32 PM
in reply to: #633230

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ

I began logging my calories consumed on fitday.com two weeks ago. I have found it helpful to see where my calories are coming from and keep me in check.

I'll start logging my training sessions on this website starting this evening.

Thanks for helping us out!
2006-12-26 5:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Name: TC117/ Tom

I would like to join this Mentor group.

Story: I was in Lake Placid 5 years ago and just happened to be the weekend of Ironman. The next day went to the race expecting to see 200 competitors and saw 2,000 and was amazed. I have spectated at IMLP 5 straight years now and two of my friends have finished IMLP, one in 11:05 and the other in just over 15 hours. I decided after 5 years watching it was time for me to get off the sidelines.

In June I weighed in at 243 pounds (41 years old) and couldn't even run a mile. Entered a sprint YMCA race in early July at about 230 pounds and struggled on the bike and walked about 1/2 the 3 mile run. completed the West Point Army Tri in August and ran the whole 5K this time, although not fast... 35 minutes for 5K and 222 pounds. Next up was 1/2 marathon in October which I ran in 2:13:55 and only walked at a couple of water stops.

I now weigh about 198 - 200 pounds and am running Disney Marathon in 11 days. this may be a struggle...as my first Marathon, but lets see what happens.

Family Status: Married to wife (Karen) 10 years and 1 duaghter from previous marriage who is 20 years old and in college. Karen is running Disney with me and going to start TRi training this year and is a very good athlete. She on many days is my workout partner.

Current Training: Training for Disney Marathon, which has proved to be tougher than I thought it would be. I figured since I did the half in October I would have plenty of time to up the milage by January. The muscle fatigue has been an adventure.

Last years races: Noted them above.

2007 races:
January: Disney marathon...My 1st.
June: Philly OLY Tri (If I can still get in)
July: YMCA Sprint TRi I did in 2006
August: Westpoint Sprint Tri (800m swim, 25K bike, 5k)
August: Timberman 1/2 Ironman (signed up).

Weightloss: Like I said 243, down to just under 200 & working my way down....I hope to be at about 178 or less by Timberman.

Hope to get to know all of you better in the next few months and learn from you as well.
2006-12-26 5:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Forgot a couple of things...I started logging all workouts on BT in November so you can view them.

I will add you all to my buddy list for inspires & check out your workouts.

Couple races I forgot to mention.

November 12 - Stockadeathon 15K - 1:34:54

solo 10K virtual race with RWOL Tri buddies....Dec 17th. 59:48 (this was to get a 10K time as I had never run this distance).

train well!
2006-12-26 6:59 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Damn, Tom, count me in with Felix.  If I could mentor AND be mentored, I'd do it.   But don't want to dilute your efforts.  Lucky newbies.

2006-12-26 9:06 PM
in reply to: #633618

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

rkreuser - 2006-12-26 8:59 PM Damn, Tom, count me in with Felix.  If I could mentor AND be mentored, I'd do it.   But don't want to dilute your efforts.  Lucky newbies.

TRue. I'm not that much of a newbie, so I wouldn't want to dilute any efforts either.

Good luck guys! Have a great 2007 season.

2006-12-26 10:06 PM
in reply to: #633618

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

rkreuser - 2006-12-26 5:59 PM Damn, Tom, count me in with Felix. If I could mentor AND be mentored, I'd do it. But don't want to dilute your efforts. Lucky newbies.

I was thinking the same thing!  And Double Ironman - Dang!   

2006-12-26 10:19 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Me?  I have grand plans ... or at least acheivable ... ones.  Hollis recommends you.  Thanks!
2006-12-26 10:22 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

Oofff.  This is way going to be an Ironman thread.   Best to all!!!! 

I'll just go back to my Olympic! 

2006-12-26 11:04 PM
in reply to: #633679

User image

Elite
San Diego
Scott, Rick and Felix you all can be honorary Mentees in this group!!! In all seriousness, I won't have answers for every question, so I can use any help I can get from all of you experienced triathletes!

2006-12-26 11:06 PM
in reply to: #633560

User image

Elite
San Diego

Tom, welcome!

Your weightloss is inspiring and I know we all can benefit from your experiences.

2006-12-26 11:16 PM
in reply to: #633677

User image

Elite
San Diego

Janice, you are so in! Any friend of Hollis is a friend of mine

If there is anything that I have learned in the years I spent in this sport, is everybody has times when we are down and need a little push. Whether you are doing Super Sprints or Ironmans, you can still learn something or need a little encouragement.

I have never done an Olympic race and don't plan on it, ever. That distance scares me to death. It requires more mental focus than a sprint and more all out speed than a half IM or IM. I have the utmost respect for anybody that can take on that distance

BTW, I saw you met Kathy and the G's. I had the priviledge of meeting her and the MA mafia, when I was out there this summer. They are very generous and gracious people.

Again,
Welcome to the group...we needed a little estrogen because it was turning into a sausage fest

2006-12-27 9:25 AM

User image

Elite
San Diego

I will be away from my computer for a few hours, so I won't be able to check in. But, I think I will have room for one or two more people

Thanks

Tom

2006-12-27 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Well, if estrogen is needed, can I jump in this group??

Name: swgtri/Shannon

Story: I'm a 30 year old tri-chick from the Denver metro area.  My sports background getting into tris was gymnastics, some rock climbing, certified divemaster--nothing that required endurance.  In high school, the PE teacher would have me sit out when the class was running, as I was prone to shin splints and she didn't want anything to interfere with my gymnastics training/competition.  I had never even run a 5K.  The summer of '04 I received an email advertising the Tri for the Cure, an all-women's triathlon benefiting breast cancer research.  I thought that sounded like a good challenge, and motivation to get my hiney in shape.  But seeing as I hadn't run in the previous decade, hadn't owned a bike in 8 years, and the longest swim I had done for time was a 400 yard test for my divemaster certification, I thought I would need more than 4 weeks to get ready.  I was going to do it the next year.  A couple months later, I was talking with some ladies at the office about it, and one lady said I needed to do Tri for the Cure and Danskin, since she did both every year.  I did both, and fell in love with the sport, immediately registering for a third sprint+ distance race for the same summer.  This last summer I moved up to Olys, with my A race being a HIM.  Unfortunately, I broke my wrist in my 2nd Oly 3 weeks before the HIM, so didn't get to compete.  Now I have my eye set on an IM.

Family: Married with 2 dogs--kids eventually.  Husband is a cyclist, who might someday consider a du.

Current Training: I am about to do my first marathon next month, which is part of training for IM CdA.  I am far from technical, and am by no means fast.  I have modest time goals for my races, but each time I move up a distance, my goal is truly just to finish.  No matter what my time is, if it's a new distance, I'm setting a PR!  In order to give myself the best shot at finishing the IM, I am working with a coach.  He has completely changed my run and swim technique.  I have already seen some nice (for me) improvements in my run time.

Last Years Races:  I did the 5430 Sprint, Loveland Lake to Lake oly, and crashed in the Boulder Peak (if you're going down, go down in a blaze of glory, right?!).  I also did a few 5Ks and Surf and Turf races.

2007 Races:  AZ RnR Marathon, Napa Valley Vintage HIM, IM CdA, 5430 Long Course, and maybe a couple of other shorter distance events thrown in as time/budget/recovery allows.  I would love to go back and get my revenge on the Boulder Peak, but it's only a month after the IM.

Weightloss:  I have never had much of a problem with my weight--yeah I could stand to lose 10 pounds, but I'm still what most would consider "thin."  For me, the bigger challenge is a battle with heart health, which is a genetic issue.  I have been trying to lower my cholesterol since they first tested my cholesterol at 25.  This last fall I finally got it down below 200! 

This looks like a great group!

2006-12-27 12:46 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Madcow, if your group isn't too full... I would love to join!

Here are some of the comments that made me pick your mentor group:

I then moved to the Ironman distance which is the perfect distance for me. I'm not fast so I like the idea of pacing and nutrition vs. all out speed. Plus, if your are going to spend six months training, it might as well be for a race that is twice the distance, right?

I haven't done anything longer than a sprint, but I have never been built for speed. Even when I was competitive swimmer- I swam distances. I love the pacing of a longer event. I also like the idea of spending months of training with an ultimate goal in mind.

Currently I am training for Ironman Arizona.

I am contemplating IMAZ for 08, and I am very interested in seeing your Training Logs to see how you will train for it. You seem like a normal person out there racing, and I think how you train would be similar to how I would train.

But, I'm not fast nor am I super technical. Just a simple guy who likes to be outside

This sounds just like me. I'm not super fast or technical... and I doubt I ever will be. Honestly, the time and focus it would take to be either... would probably make training a job versus fun. I want training to be fun, above all else.

OK, on the questions:

NAME KSH/Karen

STORY/PREVIOUS RACES/CURRENT TRAINING/2007 RACES

I started working out when I was 12 years old. My thighs got big and I wasn't having any of that. ESPN with the arobics shows- was my friend.

Then when I was 14 a friend encouraged me to join the local swim team during the summer. I was a natural. I swam competitively for 3 years in High School.

Went off to college, and I REFUSED to gain the Freshman 15. So I ran, swam, hit the gym, etc. Didn't gain any weight.

After college, I continued on with my gym rat career. I would hit the treadmill, do the weights, keep my weight in check... etc.

In 2004, I decided that I was sick of the gym. I needed a goal. Hhhhuuummm... I always dreamed of doing a tri... so why not? In October 2004, I bought my Trek 1000. I started training for tri's.

Completed a Duathlon in April 2005, and then a all female sprint tri in June 2005. I completed another sprint tri August 2005.

September 2005, I decided to train for a half marathon. I wanted to get over my fear of running longer than 3 miles at a time. I got a plan together and hit the road. Didn't think twice about upping my miles quickly or the shoes I had on my feet. A month later, I was hurting pretty bad. Had to give up training for the half in October 2005. Stopped running for 3 months.

February 2006, I join a TRI 101 program with the Dallas Athletes. The running was still an issue. Pain popped right back up again. Every step was pain, even with a 13 minute mile. April 2006, I complete a sprint tri (13 minute mile on the run).

May 2006, I realize that if I don't do SOMETHING about my running pain, I will have to give up tri's. I find a running coach who specializes in running injuries. He quickly grounds me from running... for about... 4 months. We redo my running form from the ground up. I go from a heel to toe strike to a mid-foot strike/plant.

August 2006, I'm feeling pretty good about my running. The coach and I work out a plan for me to run a 5K in a September sprint. We up my miles too quickly... my pain returns with vengence. I stop running again until the tri in September.

September 2006, I complete the sprint tri and walk/run the 5K with an 11 minute mile.

October 2006, I start running more... and things seem promising. I have learned how to ice my legs and heat them. I have learned how to run with pain and what to do to manage it. I can now run 3-4 miles with a 10-11 minute mile.

November 2006, my cousin decides he is going to IMAZ 08. I told him I would be there for his first IM. I had attended his first Half IM in October. I loved watching, but seeing some of the participants, I wished I had been racing instead. I figure... if I'm going to travel to Arizona, I might as well toy with the idea of racing in the IM too. My dream is to do an IM, and it would be more fun traveling and racing with family.

December 2006, I get my Cervelo One in the mail... she's a fast machine... named Buttercup (Suck it up Buttercup). I feel like a real triathlete when I'm riding.

Which leads me to today! Currently, my goals are to keep upping my running miles. Ultimately, I need to know that I can sign up for IMAZ 08 in April 07. And the only way I feel I can do that, is if I can consistently run.

Otherwise, I am looking forward to 2007! I have a fast new tri bike, my running legs are back, and I'm ready! If I do sign up for IMAZ, I am definately going to look at doing a HIM at the end of the season. Otherwise, even if I don't, I know I'll be doing some Olympic distances during the season. I hope to complete around 1 tri a month.

FAMILY STATUS

Divorced. Boyfriend of 3 years, who also posts on BT and recently got into tris (no, I didn't convince him to do it!). No kids. No dog (had to give her to a home where someone was actually home!).

WEIGHT LOSS

I don't have a problem with my weight. I just have to keep from eating out so much. I unfortunately have a bad habit of doing this after riding on the weekends, which lead to a 10 pound weight gain this past summer.

My goal for 2007 is to stay around 123 pounds, and not eat out but once a week. Otherwise, my weight is good.

2006-12-27 4:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph

If this group isn't full I'm game. I need help going long!

Name: TimmyMay / Timmy

Story: I'm a 35 year old male. Living in Canada. Started doing tri's about 3 years ago. I've done multiple sprints and one olympic, a 1/2 marathon and that's it.  My only weight problem is getting and keeping some on. Used to be down to 125lbs during my 2nd divorce. Now I'm up to 165lbs. I'm on a quest for 2008 IM Lake Placid.

Family Status: I have four kids. (18, 16, 11, 8). All are girls except the 8 year old.

Current Training: Currently I am training for the Ottawa full marathon in May, and a 1/2 IM this summer. Either Peterbourogh or Ottawa 1/2 IM. I'm also hoping to get to Lake Placid this summer and ride the IM bike course. 2008 I'd like to do IM Lake Placid. Provided I can get a spot.

Last years races: I did the Ottawa 1/2 Marathon, Guelph Lake I Olympic and Niagara Sprint, Belwood Try a Tri.

2007 races: Ottawa Full Marathon, Guelph Lake I Olympic and Ottawa 1/2 IM.

Weightloss: Not a problem, just need to keep some on.

I'd type more but I gotta get out for a run before the next blizzard hits and it's getting dark....

Edited by TimmyMay 2006-12-27 4:08 PM
2006-12-27 4:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Visalia, CA
if there is room, and you wouldnt mind a beginner, id love to jump in. let me know, and ill write out my story. thanks.
2006-12-27 4:54 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: RE: Madcow's group - FULL!

Well, we are full! Again I am very honored that you picked this group 

Karen and Shannon, there is more than enough room for you two here.

Everybody's stories are all very inspirining and we all seem to be in the same position.

For the group:

• If you have a general question, feel free to ask it here in this thread or in the Tri Forum.
  • If you have a specific for me, either ask in my training log or PM me.
  • Try and check out some of our group member's training logs at least a couple of times a week and feel free to leave an Ispire ME. You would be surprised how many people have already been through or are going through the same "issues" you are experiencing.
  • Log everyday. Even if it is just to say why you didn't do anything
  • Don't be afraid to ask anything. We are here to support you.
  • Have fun. If this isn't fun any more, then why do it?

I am very excited about this group and I know we will be able to help each other

Tom

2006-12-27 4:59 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: RE: Madcow's group - FULL

Wow, Snaps10 and TimmyMay you guys are quick! I was typing when you two jumped in. Of course there is room, the more the merrier.

Snaps10, Yes, write your story, we would love to hear it!

Edited by madcow 2006-12-27 5:00 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Madcow's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 8