in reply to: #630570

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-01-05 9:07 PM

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: RE: Maureen - Full
My philosophy is that stationary bikes count as bike miles. On my trainer in the cellar, I get cadence info but no indication of speed or distance. So I just take an estimate based on perceived exertion.

Take credit for it!
2007-01-06 1:09 AM

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
I put my road bike on a trainer so I just log what I get from the computer in the biked section.  It is kind of dangerous to bike around here, I only have one route so I mix it up with spinnervals.
2007-01-06 8:45 AM
in reply to: #644348

They count as miles. I know on my stationary trainer I get the following information -

- cadence
- speed
- elevation gain
- time
- power

I would also count spin classes towards miles. I worked it out (brought my bike to spin class) and determined for 1 hour of spin class you travel about 15 to 18 miles. Again this is based on the following -

- cadence of 80 or greater
- perceived exertion of 30% - 40% average
2007-01-07 7:05 AM

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Okay... My turn to ask a question....

First, a brief history. I'm a 43 year old woman, entering my second tri season. I've been pretty fit & active for most of my life, but started tri training after about 2 years of realtive inactivity and at my heaviest weight ever, so my fitness level was not the greatest. I did 4 tris (3 sprint, 1 olympic), a 1/2 marathon, and a handful of smaller running races last season.

My primary training goals right now are to drop about 10 more lbs, and improve my fitness level. Improvements in race performance would be nice, but I think that will be the case regardless, just because my fitness level is better than at this time last year.

I recently got a heart rate monitor, and would really like to concentrate on working on my aerobic base for the next few months. I did the 30 minute TT bike & run LT self-tests described in the BT threads this past week. Interestingly enough, my zones were pretty close to what I guess-timated they would be.

My trouble is, that my zone 2 run pace just feels so painfully slow.... I am by no means a fast runner, but I just feel like a turtle! I often have to walk up hills to stay in the right zone. Sometimes it's hard for me to stay motivated to run at such a slow pace. So, I'm wondering if others of you have done any HR training - any guess how long it will take until my zone 2 pace starts to pick up a bit? Will I eventually be able to run up hills and stay in the right zone? Is it okay to throw in an occasional run at a higher pace at this point in my training schedule "just for fun"? My first race of the season will be a duathlon in April, but that will me more of a training race than a race-race for me.

In other news, I just got some Total Immersion training materials, and am looking forward to working on improving my swim technique over the next couple of months.

Happy training, everyone!
2007-01-07 1:43 PM

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Great questions! Last Christmas, I got a HRM and could have written the same note as you just wrote. My zones were what I predicted and those "220-age" formulas that everyone poo-poo's were right on for me, too. I sort of gave up on the whole zone thing for the reasons you mention. I had to pratically jog in place to get my HR down to the proper levels. I just try to make sure I have slower runs (keep hr around 140) on some days. Over the year, my slower run times seem to have picked up slightly. Perhaps if I stuck with the plan I would have shown better results. Part of my issue is that there are few flat runs around here. And trying to run up a half-mile hill and stay under 140 was too frustrating for me.

2007-01-07 2:01 PM
in reply to: #645356

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

maureen - 2007-01-07 8:43 

Part of my issue is that there are few flat runs around here. And trying to run up a half-mile hill and stay under 140 was too frustrating for me.

That is where I don't understand the whole zone training, I guess if you look at your overall time in Z1/Z2 for endurance is what will make the difference.  If you plan on doing longer events you try to stay in the lower zones longer???  I haven't done any reading on it myself but if I plan on doing longer events I may look into it more.

2007-01-07 2:53 PM

Pro
Wallingford, PA
My HR zones (from my self testing, and also from my general observation) are actually way above what the 220-age formula would predict.... I'm going to try to stick with the theory of building aerobic base and trying to stay in Z1/Z2 for the most part until maybe late Feb. early March. I'll let you all know whether or not I see any changes or improvements.

Jenny
2007-01-14 7:59 PM

2007-01-15 5:52 AM

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Lali,

I'm not sure I can offer you any technique recommendations, but I do have a couple of thoughts for you....

When you say running hurts, can you say where specifically you are feeling pain? I think you mentioned joints - is it ankles? knees? hips? all of the above? My first advice would be to make sure you have a really good pair of running shoes. If you haven't done so, go to a reputable running store. Take in your old shoes so they can look at your wear pattern. Tell them what problems you're having. A good running store will want to look at how you stand and how you run, and will have you try on several pair of shoes to find one that works well for you.

My second advice would be to add some specific strength training exercises to your routine to strengthen the muscles supporting the affected joints, and to make sure you are stretching adequately.

My final advice is, if you are having pain while running, maybe you should back off of running for a bit and let yourself heal. Ice the affected joints after you work out or in the evening, and take a good NSAID (ibuprofen, aleve, etc.) to help with inflammation. When everything feels okay again, make sure you ease back into it, never adding more than 5 - 10% per week to your running volume.

If you do all of this and you're still having trouble (or maybe even before you do all of this...) consider seeing a doctor and asking for a referral for some physical therapy to address the problems. I had a long-term (2 + years!) ankle problem a while back, and I finally went for some PT. I should have gone a lot LOT sooner!! A couple months of going to the PT once or twice a week, and my ankle is pretty much as good as new. I still can feel it if I overdo it, but now I know some things to do to help get it back to normal.

HTH! It's no fun running in pain!!!

Jenny
2007-01-15 12:06 PM
in reply to: #654547

Along with shoe's look for one with additional cushoning.

Also look at doing a combination of on and off road running

2007-01-15 6:03 PM

2007-02-22 2:28 PM

OK all next question -

What do people use for HR monitors when swimming?

I currently have a Polar, but am leary on taking it in the pool.
2007-02-22 3:25 PM

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Excellent question! I also have a polar HRM and I wore it in the pool once, but I was so nervous about wrecking the thing, that I never used it in the pool again. I did wear it in an Oly last June. That was an ocean swim. I forgot to hit the start button until about 5 minutes into the swim, and then it didn't work on the bike ride, but it did work on the run.

I don't know anyone who uses the HRM for swim training. But many many people use it for running, and some use it for biking.

I have not been disciplined about using it for my training. I got so frustrated with keeping my HR low, that I gave up. Still, I use it just to compare my own data to previous workouts.

How is everyone doing with their training? I check your logs but not everyone is logging now.

When I started at BT back in 2004, I followed the training forums closely. I met a lot of people by participating in those discussions. Now, I don't read the forums so much - the topics tend to repeat themselves. After all, it is for beginner triathletes! But I still use the blogger to check on those I know and sometimes check out some others randomly. Occasionally, I read the Intro forum to see if there is anyone new from my neck of the woods.
2007-02-22 4:23 PM

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
I use my polar in the pool.  It doesn't always keep the HR due to flip turns or doing different strokes. It works the majority of the time.  I found it doesn't work in the ocean maybe the salt interference?   I use it more for time in the water.  I swim with a swim team so I try to remember to stop it when we are in between sets for a long period.  I was planning on swimming tomorrow but the pool's pump broke!  I may have to do an ocean swim sat!  I let you know if I can get it to work then.
2007-02-25 5:56 PM
in reply to: #699865

OK,

Went to try but forgot watch. Will try with my swim workout on monday

2007-03-01 6:45 AM
in reply to: #702586

OK, next topic

- Power output on bike

I've noticed my power output is less when I'm riding down on the aero bars

When riding on either my regular road bike or not on aero bars I find it easier to generate power/speed

I'm thinking it's due to diffent muscle groups or lack of experience with aero bars

Any thoughts?
2007-03-01 11:50 AM

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

For me, I got my aero bars last summer.  When I am on the trainer, I am in them all the time to get comfortable with them.  How are you measuring the power output???  Just curious. 

When I am on the road, it hard for me to get down on them due to strong headwinds and no room on the roads for me and the cars....  When I did my race last year I was in them most of the race and was happy with my results.

Were you sized on your bike with the aeros?  Are they new?  For me there was break in period.  Practice on the trainer...

2007-03-01 12:28 PM
in reply to: #707828

My trainer measures power output. I can see average, max, current power

When I ride on the road I have a Powertap system (part of wheel).

Here is the link for the web site http://www.saris.com/p-230-powertap.aspx

My tri-bike just has a speedometer

I'm comfortable riding the aero bars, and bike was sized with aeros (tri-specific bike)

Edited by eduardo63 2007-03-01 12:50 PM
2007-03-01 2:05 PM

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

So the power meter is saying you are not as strong in the aero bars?  I mostly go by keeping the cadence up and watching the speed correspond to see if I am improving.  I have 5 spinnervals workouts and keep track of using harder gears & heart rate...  I will have to compare I guess out of aero to see what I get for mileage I guess.  Those power meters are expensive!  I still need to get a tri bike before I purchase that.

The other day I was on the road climbing and I realized that logging miles is less on the road due resistance/gravity.  I log my trainer miles to keep track with the different workouts to see if the mileage improves.

2007-03-01 2:22 PM

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

Here we go, you got me thinking about the different muscle thing so I search the articles and this one says you will use different muscles and initial drop in the power output!!!  So what you are seeing is normal. I guess that is why the coach in my DVDs keep saying to stay in aero as much as possible.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1065

2007-03-01 2:51 PM
in reply to: #708038

Thanks for article, it make sense with what I'm seeing. I see about 2% to 4% decrease when dropping into aero position. I tend to see this balance off after about 10 to 20 minutes or riding on the drops.

I need to focus on staying in drops for longer periods of time (30 minutes plus)
2007-03-06 12:28 PM

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I just wanted to share my HR training results with you all.... I posted early on about my frustration with heart rate training and difficulty staying in a lower heart rate zone, especially when running. Well, I've stuck with it for a couple of months, and I'm finally starting to see some results! On my run today, I noticed that it has become much easier for me to stay in my target zone when running up hill (at least on short or not too steep hills) and also that the pace I can maintain in a lower zone on the flats seems to be increasing as well. There's still one long and pretty steep hill that comes at the end of the run I did today that I have to either slow down to an extremely slow jog or walk up to stay in my target zone. Overall, I'm encouraged, and feel like my persistance is beginning to pay off!
2007-03-06 3:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Great! I am happy for you, but now I feel guilty that I gave up too soon...
2007-03-06 3:51 PM

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

I have been playing around with zone training thing.  I found as you get conditioned your heart rate starts to behave.  If you fall off the routine like I just did you will have a hard time staying in the low zones initially, so that means going slow but I will also pick a day to push it,  Kind of like the old saying no pain no gain...  I found when I did my sprint and  5K last year my heart rates was just into the zone 5 most of the time.  Probably mostly due to the added adrenalin.  The short races I think you need more z3-z4 training but when you start doing the longer races you are better off conditioning yourself to be in the z2 range to finish...  What do you think?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Maureen - Full Rss Feed  

of 3