Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-03-07 11:06 AM
in reply to: #630570

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: RE: Maureen - Full
Have you ever done a Lactic Threshold measurement?

I have never done one specifically, but I have worn my HRM in 2 running races.

5K race = avg HR = 164 and max = 175 on a hot summer afternoon
10 miler = avg 155 max = 166 on a cold blustery winter morning.

So based on this, how would I figure my zones?

2007-03-07 11:52 AM
in reply to: #714718

User image

Have used both calculated Threshold testing and testing (Anerobic Threshold training/testing)

A quick measure is to determine your anaerobic threshold. This is between 85% and 90% of your maximum heart rate (MHR).

So based on the info you provided

- (0.85 x 175) to (0.90 x 175) or (148) to (174)
- (0.85 x 166) to (0.90 x 166) or (141) to (165)

You can also get tested via a blood test at a sports club that does fitness analysis

Now when you do specif AT (anerobic threshold) training, do a warmup, followed by 30 to 40 minutes in zone. Then do a 10 to 20 minute warm down

Edited by eduardo63 2007-03-07 11:54 AM
2007-03-07 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

I have tried once on my trainer, but I did not get good nutrition prior and ended up getting dizzy from a low sugar.  So I need to try again.  I was following the LT test from Mike Ricci the USAT support forum coach.

Interesting about your HR in the heat and cold.  That is totally appropriate in my eyes.  Your blood vessels will expand more in the heat causing a rise in HR, but the same holds true when hypothermia sets in due to the body trying to create heat causing the heart to pump faster,  but in the case of doing exercise in the cold, the exercise is keeping your body warm with no added heat keeping your HR from reaching the max???  That is my take on it, now I wonder Mike Ricci has to say about this???

Oh yeah your paces for a 5K was probably faster than the 10 miler another reason for a lower heart rate in the longer run... 

I have been following  this for my zones until I actually get a LT test done.

THE TRAINING ZONES
There are five general heart rate training zones of different levels of training intensity, each of which corresponds to various metabolic or respiratory transport mechanisms within your body. The heart rate can be tracked by using a variety of methods:
1. Determining heart rate by palpating the carotid or radial artery.
2. Rating of Perceived Exertion
3. Using a heart rate monitor.

Calculating Intensity Levels
Measured Resting Heart Rate (MRHR) __55___________

Estimated Maximum Heart Rate (EMHR) 205 – (.5x age) = ____186________________________

Heart Rate Reserve (HRR): EMHR - MRHR= HRR ___131___________

Level                          Formula For Heart Rate Values                          Calculated HR’s

HRR x .60 + MRHR=                                     ______134________
Zone 1                        HRR x .70 + MRHR=                                     _______147_______

HRR x.71 + MRHR=                                      _____148__________
Zone 2                        HRR x.75 + MRHR=                                      _____153__________

HRR x.76 + MRHR=                                      ____154___________
Zone 3                        HRR x.80 + MRHR=                                      ____160___________

HRR x.81 + MRHR=                                      _____161__________
Zone 4                        HRR x.90 + MRHR=                                      ______173_________

HRR x.91 + MRHR=                                      _____174__________
Zone 5                        HRR x 1.00 + MRHR=                                              _____186__________                   

2007-03-07 6:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Thanks for your replies. In my case, I have too much data! And I just end up confused. I used the dreaded age calculator that people rail against, and the numbers came out pretty much the same as TriTwinMom's. But based on my race data, I think my zones should be a little higher.

Overall, I have developed my own RPE's and HR's. I try to keep my first 10 minutes of a run below 140. I don't get concerned if my HR goes up on hills anymore - except for that first 10 minutes.

At least once a week, I throw in some speed-ups or sprints.

Edited by maureen 2007-03-07 6:41 PM
2007-05-28 5:07 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Maureen - Full Rss Feed  

of 3