Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-12-21 12:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: Maureen - Full
NAME: Maureen/Maureen
STORY: I am now entering my 4th season of triathlons. I started in 2004 with 6 weeks to train for a Danskin sprint triathlon. For that first one, I swam the backstroke, rode a mtn bike, and ran in my biking clothes. I had a blast and was hooked!

I am 44 years old, female, and work part-time as an Ergonomist.

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married for 15 years, and have a daughter in 4th grade, and a son in 2nd grade. My husband is quite athletic, and a competitive mtn biker.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have to be quite focused and yet opportunistic to get my training in. Since I work part-time, I have primary childcare responsibilities. So if a kid is sick, or it is school vacation, my training goes to the back burner. That is just the way it is. Having said that, my hubby is quite supportive of my training. We are happiest when both of us get our workouts done.

I have to plan my workouts for the week, but there are days when I have MAKE time. If I have to work in a different city, then I always bring my running gear. When son is at baseball practice, I run around the fields. I bike to the games, while hubby drives and then he bikes home, and I drive.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: I followed a 16 week plan for an Oly in June (open water in the ocean in Maine in June is COLD). I also finished 2nd in the state for mtn biker (women, novice class). I raced 8 mtb races. I also raced 2 small 5k races and finished in the medals for my age group.

2007 RACES: I am doing a 10-mile running race in Feb, maybe an XC ski race (it will be my first race), I would like to try an Xterra race, the Danskin tri in Mass. in August, and maybe one other tri. And at least 1 5k race.

WEIGHTLOSS: Always a struggle. I should lose 10-15 pounds. Tri training has not resulted in any weight loss. Boo hoo.

Edited by maureen 2007-01-01 3:16 PM

2006-12-25 5:46 PM
in reply to: #630570

User image

Subject: RE: Maureen - Open
Hi there. I am Rebecca Hallin in Denver CO area. I am 40. last year at this time I started working out and decided if I was to loose some weight and get in shape it would be great to set a goal of a sprint distance tri. So Aug 2006 I did my first one Danskin here in the Denver area. tim about 2 hrs 14 min. Before I started working out weight was 178 I am 5"5 I got down to about 148 currently 154. Orig goal was 140 and I will sork very ahrd this coming year to reach that. I have done about 4 5k run events in the last 3-4 months and I like them. I am planning to do a sprint tri come june out here in Boulder CO and also a century bike ride before that. in Aug it will be going to Souther OR where I am originally from and do a 7 mile run 25 mile bike and a 5 mile paddle on the Rogue River. I have done all my training alone but in the last few months have a girlfriend that I met here on BY she lives nearby. SHe is 55 and totally incredible she used to weigh about 200 pounds and now about 140 she does real well in the 5k runs we do and I need to start getting times like she does about 30 min in a 5 k run. At this time I cannot afford some of the trainers she has so It hought this BT mentor thing would be great for me. You are close to my age and more experience than me. I triathlon to keep me working out and meet my weight goals. I have a nice trek ladys road bike that I ride. My swimming really needs work and I need to build my running. When I did the Danskin last summer my mental state was like you will either never ever do this again or you will be hooked to train for more. GUESS WHAT I want to do more and get better. It is a wonderful thing to be able to say I have done a triathlon.
2006-12-26 8:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Welcome Rebecca, I just checked out your log and left you an "inspire". This is a tough time of year to fit in excercise! Any little bit helps.

The more you log, the better it gets!
2006-12-28 2:31 PM

User image

Hi,

Name - Ed

Profile - I'm a Duathlete who has moved onto tri's. I've been at it about 4 years. I compete in both on-road and off-road events in either the clysdale catagory or age grouper.

I'm married (about 20 years) with 2 kids (4 and 7). I work full time as an Engineer for a company in Massachusetts (about 40 to 60 hrs a week).

2006 Races - Finished in top 5 in my catagory in 2 races. Did bike portion of a half-ironman. Did 2 sprint tri's with OK results (top 10 in age catagory)

2007 races - Laying out schedule now. I'm looking to do 1/2 Ironman or International distance event as my major goal for year. I have 4 Duathlons that I always do each year 2 off road, 2 on road

Training - currently working on swim base and cycling base. I start my running base this week
Again the schedule varies based on kids but her is overview. Also joined masters swim team to work on swim pacing.

Sunday - Long Run
Monday - Swim (form)
Tuesday - Weight Training, Cycling (endurance)
Wednesday - Run (tempo), Swim (Endurance)
Thursday - Weight Training, Cycling (form)
Friday - Run (intervals/hills), Swi, (endurance/form)
Saturday - Cycling (power)
2006-12-28 9:33 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

Aloha Maureen!

STORY:  I am originally from NH, I did my first triathlon there 10 yrs ago it was a sprint called the race to the face, Francoia notch, there is no face so the name has changed. It was on/off road and more of hike up the mtn. You could run if you could!!!  So I always wanted to do a more traditional one but never had a road bike, until this past summer.  I love racing on my bike.  I was a competitive swimmer in college, running is my weakest area.  I did my first traditional sprint last sept, but the swim was canceled due to jellyfish warnings.  So it was a duathalon.  Looking forward to doing the real thing this spring.  The island I live on doesn't have a triathlon so I have to fly to Oahu which makes things a bit more expensive so I can probably get in two next year and do all the run races on our island. 

I will be 39 in two weeks, work as a mom right now until my twins enter preschool then I may go back to work as a RN at the local hospital.

Family status: Married to my starting to be supportive husband for 11years and twin boys 2.5 yrs old.  My husband is a surfer/snowboarder as long as he buys his toys I get mine...  He likes to Mtn bike too, sometimes we get a sitter and try to go out together.

CURRENT TRAINING:  If you look at my logs for this month you will see lots of blanks.  I have been trying to maintain fitness levels in all areas.  I start a running group next week for the next race and will be going to Utah on the 9th for 10 days to ski!  I can't wait.

So my two races this past year were pretty successful considering I just got back into training.  Top 5 in age group on the tri, and 1st in my age group for the 5k.  I didn't follow any training plan I am new to this website.  Started logging halfway into training.  Needed to keep track.  I also have to find the time to train.  Babysitters and my bike trainer when the boys are sleeping.  I used the jogger a bit until I realized my running improved when I didn't push them.  But I know I will have to start pushing them again soon.

2007 races:  Looking to do a 10k in Feb if I can get the mileage in if not I will do the 5k.  A sprint in April I think and the rest is up in the air. 

WEIGHT LOSS:  Always a struggle for me too, I would exercise so I could eat. Before I really got back into training I lost the baby weight on weight watchers on line.  I  am actually smaller than I ever have been.  I guess I was eating too much!  Training for the triathlon got me really toned and love my body now!  Still have to be careful...  I liked weight watchers on line, I didn't have to go to the meetings and It is easy to follow.  I could even plug my own recipes in and know what the portion was...

That is it in a nutshell.  I am looking for motivation to continue and would possible like to do an xterra race someday too!

Edited by tritwinmom 2006-12-28 9:34 PM
2006-12-29 1:50 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC

2006-12-29 2:01 PM

User image

OK, here is the first question -

Wetsuit or no wetsuit?

I just got an QR ultra John suit and am worried about transition times.

I still have not figured out mechanics of fast removal

What does everyone use for lubricant?
2006-12-29 2:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
As for the wetsuit - it depends on water temperature. Here in the northeast US, it is pretty much always cold enough for a wetsuit. A wetsuit gives you some flotation so if swimming is a weakness, it will help you get hips in position and thus, improve performance. It does add transition time. So, you have to determine if the faster swim time will be offset by increased transition time. For a sprint, it is marginal, but for an oly, it is worth it.

I did not wear one in my first 2 tris, then wore an old farmer-john type in my next 2 tris. For my oly in June 2006, I rented a full wetsuit for the 60-degree ocean water. I used bodyglide. Many use Pam spray.

I use my old farmer-john for training in the local lake starting in June. Ice out is in mid-April.

Hope this helps!
2006-12-30 11:54 PM

New user

Castle Rock, CO
Hi Maureen (et al) - My name is Shay and I'm 36 (weeks away from 37). I live in Castle Rock, CO and this is my first attempt at a Tri (or anything athletic in years). I was a competitive cycler years ago and blew out my knew and had my ACL reconstructed. It's truthfully much stronger still than my "good" knee. I have managed one century post-surgery, but again, years ago.

I'm a beginner's beginner and have a long way to go with weight loss and fitness but my friend and I have committed to each other to see this through and are going to sign up for the 2007 Danskin Tri here in Denver coming this July. It's not about speed this time through, just getting healthy, having a goal and finishing...an accomplishment in itself.

I believe swimming will be my biggest challenge - I tend to kick at twice the rate of my stroke so I may actually hire a trainer for a time in that area. Running will come a bit down the line after lots of walking and cycling and weight loss. I'll build up to it in time, I'm confident.

I was excited to see the mentoring program here, and BT in general. Very cool. I'm excited. Now to figure out how to add this group to my log...????? Such a newbie.

Shay
2006-12-31 7:24 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-12-31 5:13 PM

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Welcome all! I am just in from skiing all day, and heading out for a new year's eve get-together. Gotta tidy up for the babysitter!

Happy New Year to all! May this be our best year ever.

2007-01-01 6:58 AM

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Hi,

If your group is not full, I'd like to join in. Maureen, you & I have similar profiles, but you've been at tri's longer than me! I'm Jenny, age 43 (44 next month). I started tri's last year, mostly as a way to give me some focus and keep me motivated to get back in shape. I'm a "stay at home mom" to 3 kids, ages 5, 7, & 9. My husband tends to work long hours, so pretty much all of the childcare/household stuff falls to me. I'm usually able to keep a pretty consistent workout schedule up while the kids are in school.

I really enjoy tris, and I'm hoping to improve my performance this season. In 2006, I did 4 tris (3 sprint, 1 olympic), a half-marathon, and a couple of 5K's. I'm hoping to do a little more racing this year, combination of tris, dus, and running events.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Jenny
2007-01-01 3:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: RE: Maureen - Full
OK, the 7 of us are a group!
Jsnowash
Shaybrackney
Beka66
Tritwinmom
Eduardo63
Lali
Maureen

Let's keep checking in on each other for encouragement and accountability!
2007-01-01 9:12 PM

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

Happy New Year everyone!  Looking forward to webtraining with you!

Nancy

2007-01-02 8:33 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Lali 2007-01-02 8:34 PM
2007-01-02 8:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
I did my first triathlon on my mtn bike, too. I then bought a very good used bike from my LBS. I highly recommend going through your LBS for a bike so that they can fit you correctly. I think there may be formulas to figure out frame size, but there is a lot of variability in geometry. You really need to try before you buy. A good bike shop will stand by your bike through thick and thin.

My bike frame is a 49 and I am 5'3".

My used bike was last-season's bike, so to speak, from a serious amature racing guy. He was my height (which is unusual for a man). It came with some nice upgrades like carbon fork and better pedals. I did change the gearing and seat. Then late August, the frame cracked but since it was under warranty, it was replaced but I had to pay for labor. It is a Team Fuji bike.

I belong to Team Crum, the LBS-sponsored bike team. We joined as a family for the mtn bike team. There are more mtb riders than road around here. Being on a team gives us a bike store discount, and group rides. With my schedule, I never do the group rides. There are no other mom's on the team...too bad. I have tried to hook up with some wives of team members, but so far nothing has panned out.

In my opinion, there is a lot of hype of tri-specific bikes. I think they may gain you a little, but for most people, they don't make much difference.

2007-01-02 9:18 PM
in reply to: #640058

Maureen is right. It's better to go to you local bike shop and be fit. Most good shops will fit you and setup the bike as part of the price. If not find a local shop that uses either the "fit-kit" method or the "slow-twitch" method for sizing
2007-01-02 9:47 PM

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
I agree about the LBS, I found my roadbike used and just so happened to fit.  I added a few components.  I doubled check the formula for the fit from a thread from this website and it was right on.  I was a strict mtn biker so I had learn a lot about road biking.  searching the thread on BT was very helpful!
2007-01-03 6:08 AM

Pro
Wallingford, PA
You could try calling a couple of LBS and see if you can pay them to measure you and give you some specifics on exactly what you should be looking for. Then when you get your bike, you could take it back to the same shop to have them make the necessary adjustments to fit it to you. Just knowing a frame size might not be enough, since the geometry differs from bike to bike of the same frame size. Women tend to have proportionally longer legs and shorter torso's than men the same height, so we often need a bike with a shorter top tube. You can adjust for that somewhat with a shorter stem or moving the seat forward a bit, but there's only a little bit of play in those adjustments. Bottom line is, it's a really good idea to get yourself measured by someone who knows what they are doing, and can give you specifics on what you should be looking for in terms of frame geometry. Many bike shops will provide this service. Good luck, and happy shopping!!

Jenny
2007-01-03 6:54 PM
in reply to: #640241

OK, next question for all you swimmers -

Is there a better way (other than nose plugs) to keep water out of nose on long swims?
I know after I do long swim workouts I have water coming out of my nose and sinuses
2007-01-03 9:38 PM

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Okay, so maybe this sounds like a dumb question, but are you breathing out through both your mouth and nose? I've never really had trouble with water in my nose....

2007-01-04 12:29 AM
in reply to: #641374

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
You must not be breathing out of your nose.  The only time I had water come out of my nose is after surfing and being washed in the waves.  Now do you sneeze or have allergy symptoms.  You could be allergic to the byproducts that chlorine break down.  That happens to me.  I always swam in indoor pools when I lived in NH and had no symptoms, when I move to Florida, swimming in an outdoor pool, I started having an allergic reaction after doing laps.  I thought to use a nose plug but it was too uncomfortable, I just took benadryl after.  I read an article about in the Master's newsletter. That is where I got the info on byproducts that chlorine breaks down.  Hopefully that helps.
2007-01-04 6:49 AM
in reply to: #641528

I exhale through my nose and inhale through my mouth.
2007-01-04 7:17 AM

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Do you flip turn when you swim? I don't get bothered by water in the nose unless I try a flip turn. This is why I don't do flip turns!

Usually breathing out the nose and in the mouth keeps things right. Have you tried searching the other forums for more ideas?

2007-01-04 9:04 AM

All,

Thanks for tips. I think its related to flip turns and the fact that when I get tired (longer swims)
My form breaks down. My roll is not as good when I get tired so I think I might be getting splash back
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Maureen - Full Rss Feed  

of 3