BT Development Mentor Program Archives » rollinsw's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2007-01-03 5:44 AM
in reply to: #639626

New user

Glen Ridge, NJ
Subject: Chariot
Eager to read your review. I love having a jogging stroller to take my little girl on runs. Would be great to take her on the bike.

2007-01-03 8:01 AM
in reply to: #640236

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Chariot
My kids are too big for the carriers and such. One thing that I have done that has been pretty fun is to let my 10-year old ride his bike with me while I run. He has no problem keeping up and the distance is not too bad for him. He will zoom on up ahead of me and then head back to check on my progress.
2007-01-04 8:54 AM
in reply to: #630583

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: rollinsw's Group - FULL

I am enjoying all of the inspires in the training log. When you are replying to an inspire that someone has left you, if you click the "Blog" button instead of the "Reply" button, it will leave your reply in that persons blog instead of your own. It makes it easier for them to know that you have responded. It took me months to figure that one out.

I am leaving town on an extended business trip this Saturday (1/6) and will not be back until the following Sunday (1/14). I am going to have limited access to the Internet, but will try to check in as I can. I am going to try to run when I have time, but I don't expect to get much training in next week.

2007-01-16 3:34 PM
in reply to: #641888

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Hi all! I am back home and anxious to resume a 'normal' life. My unhealthy eating and minimal exercise over the past week while traveling has left me feeling blah. Even though it has only been a week, I feel like it has been a month. I find it so easy to slip back into bad habits and so hard to dig my way out of them.

I thought that it would be fun to share our short-term goals with each other, whatever you would like to accomplish over the next few weeks. Let's use this thread and the inspires to keep each other going!

I will start: By the end of this week, I am going to have a rough draft of my training and race plan through my IM in August. I am also going to have a solid plan for the next 3 weeks of training instead of winging it like I have been doing. And I am going to follow that plan.

What are yours?

2007-01-16 3:39 PM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

My short term goals:

1. Stay true to my training plan - which includes staying within prescribed HR ranges
  2. Log everything I eat - be accountable! Goal is to lose a few pounds before my first race in April
  3. Have fun!
2007-01-16 3:59 PM

User image

Regular
Lexington, SC
Over the next few weeks I would like to ...

- Start my swim training
- Consistantly run under an 8 min mile
- Lose 3 lbs.
- Get my tri bike off lay-away (only $400 more dollars plus pedals $$!)
- Work on flexibility

Edited by shiloh1206 2007-01-18 7:42 AM

2007-01-17 8:43 AM
in reply to: #656827

User image

Expert
Northern VA
shelly123 - 2007-01-16 4:39 PM

Log everything I eat - be accountable! Goal is to lose a few pounds before my first race in April

How are you figuring out the nutritional info for everything you are eating? I tried this a couple of years ago. It was difficult, but worth it. I could not believe how far off I was with my estimates of daily calories, fat, carbs, etc. I remember finding a web site that helped with nutritional info for a lot of foods, but cannot remember it now.

Are you logging that info on BT? I have not looked at that functionality in the training logs.

2007-01-17 3:01 PM
in reply to: #657432

User image

New user

I had to add myself to the list too lose a few pounds as a priority short tearm goal. My experience about losing weight is that is all has to do what you eat, I have been surprised how little training had contributed to weight loss.

I should probably come up with a training plan instead of just doing everything by feel. I am using cyclingpeaks software to record my trainer sessions. I like cyclingpeaks concept of using the performance manager where you track training load over time. It is just too bad it is difficult to bring in running and swimming into the same concept since you can't record the wattage.

2007-01-29 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: rollinsw's Group - OPEN
We seem to have lost a couple of members and have room for more. We have a good group of friendly folks that would like your company!
2007-01-29 9:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Sullivan, WI
Hi Bill & company...

Lets see....32, 2 kids 4 yr old daughter & 7 month old son...Spent a lot of time on bikes and swimming in the ocean in my younger days, these days not so much...grew up in Northern England, been living in the midwest the past 10 years..work in the computer industry so riding a desk 8 to 10 hrs a day is normal...

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that my fitness level has dropped to some where way to close to zero....other than keeping up with my 4 year old and walks w/ my dogs i have let to many things slide.....

BUT, i'm motivated to change that....unfortunatly this revelation came on around christmas time (its definetly not a new years resolution...they fall by the wayside all to easily) and here in the midwest that means little to no outside training oppertunitys....

so, what i have....a decent (weight wise) mountain bike...a pair of slightly used runing shoes and a pool in my back yard....oh yeah and some dumbbells i saw in the sales that i figured would be a good start.....

Training Goals - I am taking a swimming class at the Y that focuses on front crawl head in the water for the next 4 weeks starting tmrw....i can swim but have poor form so i hope some actual lessons will clean that up...
Cycling, i don't have a trainer but plan on starting up spinning classes at the Y as soon as my membership starts (hopefully next month)
Running - this is going to be tough.....for me at 6'3" & 275 this is something i hope will become easier as my cycling & swimming improve my cardio.....realistically a walk/jog is my goal for now...

There are a couple of sprint tris in my area in june so they will be my first goal...all being well i'd like to get 4 or 5 in by the end of the season....

The bottom line for me is i know that i can cycle & walk/run the distances, just need to improve my swimming and overall cardio so i don't drop dead at the finish line.

look forward to any off-season tips anybody can provide and motivation to make it....

Phil
2007-01-30 8:51 AM
in reply to: #672245

User image

Expert
Northern VA

PhilE - 2007-01-29 10:51 PM Hi Bill & company... Lets see....32, 2 kids 4 yr old daughter & 7 month old son...Spent a lot of time on bikes and swimming in the ocean in my younger days, these days not so much...grew up in Northern England, been living in the midwest the past 10 years..work in the computer industry so riding a desk 8 to 10 hrs a day is normal... I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that my fitness level has dropped to some where way to close to zero....other than keeping up with my 4 year old and walks w/ my dogs i have let to many things slide..... BUT, i'm motivated to change that....unfortunatly this revelation came on around christmas time (its definetly not a new years resolution...they fall by the wayside all to easily) and here in the midwest that means little to no outside training oppertunitys.... so, what i have....a decent (weight wise) mountain bike...a pair of slightly used runing shoes and a pool in my back yard....oh yeah and some dumbbells i saw in the sales that i figured would be a good start..... Training Goals - I am taking a swimming class at the Y that focuses on front crawl head in the water for the next 4 weeks starting tmrw....i can swim but have poor form so i hope some actual lessons will clean that up... Cycling, i don't have a trainer but plan on starting up spinning classes at the Y as soon as my membership starts (hopefully next month) Running - this is going to be tough.....for me at 6'3" & 275 this is something i hope will become easier as my cycling & swimming improve my cardio.....realistically a walk/jog is my goal for now... There are a couple of sprint tris in my area in june so they will be my first goal...all being well i'd like to get 4 or 5 in by the end of the season.... The bottom line for me is i know that i can cycle & walk/run the distances, just need to improve my swimming and overall cardio so i don't drop dead at the finish line. look forward to any off-season tips anybody can provide and motivation to make it.... Phil

Welcome Phil to BT and to our group! I think that you will find most of us are juggling family, jobs and training.

You should have plenty of time to get ready for a sprint by June. I did my first race on an old mountain bike and had a blast. If you do a search on the forums here for spinning classes and for trainers, you should find some good info on both.

You might check out one of the free beginner sprint training plans here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp?h=1&racetype=1&racesubtype=2&level=-1.

At the bottom of this screen when viewing this message thread, there is an option that you can check that will send you email notifications when a new message is added to this thread. It's an easy way to know when someone in our group has left a message.

Also, if you start filling out your logs, you will find that we all keep in touch with each other there on an almost daily basis. It has been a good way to offer encouragement to each other. Just click on the Training Log icon at the top of this window. Look for the Inspire Me messages in your daily log.

If you have any specific questions, fire away! 

Bill

Edited by rollinsw 2007-01-30 8:54 AM

2007-01-30 9:16 AM
in reply to: #657432

User image

Elite
Reston VA
rollinsw - 2007-01-17 9:43 AM
shelly123 - 2007-01-16 4:39 PM

Log everything I eat - be accountable! Goal is to lose a few pounds before my first race in April

How are you figuring out the nutritional info for everything you are eating? I tried this a couple of years ago. It was difficult, but worth it. I could not believe how far off I was with my estimates of daily calories, fat, carbs, etc. I remember finding a web site that helped with nutritional info for a lot of foods, but cannot remember it now.

Are you logging that info on BT? I have not looked at that functionality in the training logs.

I use www.nutridiary.com Not everyday, just when I need to get back on track. It really helps me. I think it is particularly useful on those big training days where I may actually not eat enough! I think eating the right amounts all of the time keep me from craving bad foods....

2007-01-30 9:17 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

Welcome PhilE!

2007-01-30 9:22 AM
in reply to: #672245

User image

Regular
Lexington, SC
Hi Phil,
Welcome to the group. Sounds like we have a lot in common ... I'm 32 as well with young children (3), work in IT (coder), and I'm new to triathalons. I hope you enjoy the BT experience. I've found that using the training log has helped keep my motivation level up as well as keeping me connected with the others in our group. It sounds like the Y is going to be a great resource for you. The weather is warmer here in SC so I'm able to do my running and cycling outside although I haven't ridden lately because it's been a little too cold.

I purchased a book recently on swimming that you may want to check out called "Total Immersion" (http://www.totalimmersion.net/) . There are several versions of the book with one specifically for triathletes. Like you, I spent a lot of my youth in the water and picked up some bad form in the process that I'm now trying to unlearn.

Nick
2007-01-30 2:28 PM

User image

New user

Hi Phil and welcome!

I am 31 with a few month until I turn 32, I also work in IT (coder), and I'm also new to triathlons.

I can talk from my own experience that you should be careful with running from the start if you are not used to it. It did'nt take many times before I was injured for months and not able to run at all. Fast walking will be great for cardio until you are ready to start running. If you are not feel silly using poles, nordic walking will burn many calories.

http://www.nordicwalking.com/portal/nordic_walking/english/health_facts/

2007-01-31 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Sullivan, WI
Well had my first swim class last night......jeez...ok maybe i'm not as accomplished a swimmer as i thought....learning a stroke i thought i new but never really used.....the breast stroke is what i've been using for a while but i think (maybe i'm msitaken) that the crawl would be the stoke of choice.....

ordered some prescription swim goggles today...hopefully i'll get into the pool at least once before my class next week to get some practice....

so bikes...(i also have the bike trailer and that will be getting some serious use this summer) - is it worth swapping the pedals out for some clip in pedals (i imagine i can take the pedals with me to my next bike (eventually..)

I'm jealous of you folks that have decent climates....i love the snow but its really cramping my style...

Edisto Island, SC is my FAVOURITE vacation spot =)

my todo tonight is to figure out the logs....

Later

2007-02-03 7:35 PM

Hi Bill,

I just discovered this Website and have been reading through posts. I'm primarily a runner but would like to attempt a Sprint tri this summer or fall.

Do you have room for one more in your group?

Laura
2007-02-05 4:32 PM

New user

if you have room i'd love to join the group. i'm usually not the best at corresponding or keeping a log of the things i do but since we're all in this for the same reasons i'll do my best to become better at that.

i'm 31 and live in denver, CO. i signed up for my first sprint triathlon in june of this year so i've got plenty of time to train. i've been riding bikes for a bunch of years now and have had periods in my life (usually a couple of months at a time) where i've run but i've never been a swimmer. once all this now melts i'll start riding a bike to work which is 20 miles round trip. i've already started swimming and i can honestly say i suck at it. however, over the past 3 weeks i've noticed i can breath easier and that i'm able to rest less in between lengths. up to now i've just been swimming 20-30 lengths using freestyle and breast stoke. i haven't started running yet but once i feel a little better swimming i plan on starting.

i'll probably have an hour or 2 depending on the day and i'd also like to continue lifting weights.....unless the overall consesus is to stop while training for the tri.

other than that i'm pretty excited that i finally registered for the race and i'm looking forward to getting in shape and being part of this group

thanks,
darren
2007-02-06 8:31 AM
in reply to: #678394

User image

Expert
Northern VA

lolli0501 - 2007-02-03 8:35 PM Hi Bill, I just discovered this Website and have been reading through posts. I'm primarily a runner but would like to attempt a Sprint tri this summer or fall. Do you have room for one more in your group? Laura

Hi Laura, welcome! I am glad you found us.

Do you run now or are you getting back into it for tris? How about biking and swimming?I'm sure you have some questions, so let us have them!

At the bottom right-hand corner of this page is an option to receive email notifications when this thread is updated. I have found it an easy way to keep up with this group's conversation instead of having to dig through the forums every time I want to check.

You should also check out the Training Logs on this site. By keeping a log of our training, we can all check in on each other and offer support. Most of the conversations between us have been in our logs. Having people check in on your logs is also a great way to keep motivated. You can get to your logs by clicking the Training Logs item at the top of the page. To check on any of our logs, click the little Logs button at the bottom of each of our messages. I will leave you a message in your training log today. Click on the 'Inspire Me' link for today's log to get to your messages.

There are also some free beginner training plans available for sprints that would be worth checking out. Click the Programs item at the top of the screen to get to them or click here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp?h=1&racetype=1&racesubtype=2&level=-1.

Again, welcome and let us know how we can help.

Bill

Edited by rollinsw 2007-02-06 8:36 AM
2007-02-06 8:51 AM
in reply to: #674691

User image

Expert
Northern VA

PhilE - 2007-01-31 5:44 PM Well had my first swim class last night......jeez...ok maybe i'm not as accomplished a swimmer as i thought....learning a stroke i thought i new but never really used.....the breast stroke is what i've been using for a while but i think (maybe i'm msitaken) that the crawl would be the stoke of choice.....

You are correct, you want to be learning the crawl. That is awesome that you got yourself to a swim class.

.... so bikes...(i also have the bike trailer and that will be getting some serious use this summer) - is it worth swapping the pedals out for some clip in pedals (i imagine i can take the pedals with me to my next bike (eventually..)

I am not a bike guru, but I do know that clipless pedals are usually on the top of the list for bike upgrades. I would assume that this also applies to mountain bikes. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this.

.... my todo tonight is to figure out the logs.... Later

Start logging your workouts so we can better keep up with you! Let me know if you need some help with the logs.

Bill

2007-02-06 9:05 AM
in reply to: #680217

User image

Expert
Northern VA

dkanthal - 2007-02-05 5:32 PM if you have room i'd love to join the group. i'm usually not the best at corresponding or keeping a log of the things i do but since we're all in this for the same reasons i'll do my best to become better at that. i'm 31 and live in denver, CO. i signed up for my first sprint triathlon in june of this year so i've got plenty of time to train. i've been riding bikes for a bunch of years now and have had periods in my life (usually a couple of months at a time) where i've run but i've never been a swimmer. once all this now melts i'll start riding a bike to work which is 20 miles round trip. i've already started swimming and i can honestly say i suck at it. however, over the past 3 weeks i've noticed i can breath easier and that i'm able to rest less in between lengths. up to now i've just been swimming 20-30 lengths using freestyle and breast stoke. i haven't started running yet but once i feel a little better swimming i plan on starting. i'll probably have an hour or 2 depending on the day and i'd also like to continue lifting weights.....unless the overall consesus is to stop while training for the tri. other than that i'm pretty excited that i finally registered for the race and i'm looking forward to getting in shape and being part of this group thanks, darren

Hi Darren, welcome! It sounds like you are well on your way to being ready for your first tri. You will have plenty of time to train to be ready by June. You might want to check out some of the free sprint training plans on this site. You can get to them by clicking the Programs icon at the top of the page or here http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp?h=1&racetype=1&racesubtype=2&level=-1.

I saw in your training logs that you started your swimming. That is awesome; just getting started is the toughest part sometimes.

If you do a search in the forums here for weight training, you will find a ton of info.

Do make an effort to keep your logs up-to-date. It is a great way for us to keep up with each other, track progress and keep each other motivated. We can leave messages in each others training logs. Look for the count next to the 'Inspire Me' link to change and appear red when you have a message. I will leave a message in your log today so that you can see how it works. Don't hesitate to leave everyone in this group a message if you would like.

There is an option at the bottom right-hand corner of this page that you can set to have an email sent to you when this thread is updated. It is an easy way to know when a new message has been left here.

Welcome again!

Bill

2007-02-06 9:35 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

Welcome Laura and Darren!

This site, BT, and Bill will give you guys alot of support and knowledge!

2007-02-06 9:36 AM

New user

this is for bill. clipless peddles are a great way to improve efficieny on a bike. once you step into the peddle, even though this sounds a little cheesy, you're one with the bike. you're attached in a much different way than if you use those straps. the idea is to push and pull on each stroke. i think most people, including myself, rely much more heavily on the idea of pushing down to get the bike moving however, you can get a much better/stronger stroke if you pull up on 1 leg as you push down with the other.

here's the tricky part.....getting used to twisting your foot to get out takes a little getting used to. it's not tough and you're not going to kill yourself but you'll definitely forget a few times and wind up falling over. i found that out in a cross walk in chicago as 2 ladies passed me, pointing fingers and laughing.

hopefully that helps.
2007-02-06 9:44 AM
in reply to: #680868

User image

Expert
Northern VA

dkanthal - 2007-02-06 10:36 AM .....here's the tricky part.....getting used to twisting your foot to get out takes a little getting used to. it's not tough and you're not going to kill yourself but you'll definitely forget a few times and wind up falling over. i found that out in a cross walk in chicago as 2 ladies passed me, pointing fingers and laughing. hopefully that helps.

Oh I wish someone had videotaped my first outing with clipless pedals. I just happened to be next to a 4-5 foot ditch, full of big rocks. I stopped, fell over into the ditch and landed on my back. Somehow I was still holding on to my bike, upside down over my body. So the only thing that could be seen from the road was the bottom side of my bike sticking up. I have no idea how I managed to not seriously hurt myself.

2007-02-06 2:17 PM

User image

Regular
Lexington, SC
Welcome to the group Laura and Darren. I hope you two enjoy it as much as I do!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » rollinsw's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 4