BT Development Mentor Program Archives » danielle860's group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-01-06 3:32 PM
in reply to: #644419

Subject: RE: danielle860's group - FULL

Tara - I put some instructions for you on your inspire the other day.  Did you see it?  If not, check this out:  go into your logs you will see "inspire me" with a red number above today.  Click that and you can see messages that people have left for you.  You can either reply to those messages by hitting the "Reply" button, which will add the response to your own blog, or you can hit the "Blog" button and it will leave the response in the other person's blog.   I left the instructions to add us to your blog on Thursday, go and check them out.

If you want to add a link, probably the easiest way is to go into the same place where you made your short and long term goals.  Copy and paste the following into a new line.  This is going to take you to the top of whatever page our thread is on.  If that still doesn't work, just get links to the rest of us into your blog, because on the top of my page is a link to this thread, and I know some other have it in there to.  You can always get there that way.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=62367

2007-01-08 10:43 AM
in reply to: #630903

User image

New user

New York, NY
Anyone have advice on how to fit a marathon into my HIM training? I want to run Boston on 4/16, which is about 6 weeks before my first HIM on 6/3. Is this doable or pushing it? I figure I will have ample time to recover before the HIM but I don't want to risk burn out. Also not sure how to fit in all the running. I was thinking I would only run 4 times a week, rather than everyday. The HIM is my first priority, but I'd like to still put up a good time in the marathon - so I don't want to totally skimp on my training. Suggestions?
2007-01-08 12:25 PM
in reply to: #646109

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
Fantastic question! I have the same dillema with my first ever marathon in mid June and a first ever HIM possibly as early as August. The HIM would be my priority race, but the marathon is a close second. Can someone please help us?
2007-01-08 2:08 PM

User image

New user

I'm in the same situation! I'm thinking of doing the NJ Half Marathon but it's only a week before the tri I wanted to do. I know that's not doable but what is? What is the proper amount of recovery time?

Laura

PS: Kate, greate meeting you. Did I miss anything after I left on Saturday?
2007-01-08 2:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Hi Guy's

I hear you I have in my short term goals this year to do NY Marathon if I get in, OR a HIM....Not both I am afraid.

Having never run a marathon before I can't offer much advice on your dilemma. The only thing I can say is the first half Ironman I did, I did on way too little cycle prep (1 x 60km's max ride in training) this left me in a pretty beat up state after the race and really killed my time as I spent 3 & 1/2hours on the bike)

If you were going to do it the only thing I could offer is.

Pre Marathon
--------------
On your Cross training day during the Marathon training keep this as a long cycle maybe 1:30 - 2 hrs. Maybe one short swim if you can fit it in.

Post Marathon leading up to HIM
-------------------------------------

Given you will have very short prep time do one long swim a week only so you can at least swim the distance and then concentrate on the cycle to up the mileage to get up to 80% of the max distance before the race. At the end of the day you will spend the most time on the bike so ignore the swim,just make sure you can actually swim the distance. Scale back the running as you should be good to go from the Marathon training...

Not sure the above helps....As afinal check you may want to download the HIM training plans off this site and then map your Marathon plan over it. i.e Todd you mention you will probably have 6 - 8 week gap between events. plug where this would put you on the HIM plan the day you finish your Marathon to see the catch up you would need to do to be ready for the HIM...
2007-01-08 3:32 PM
in reply to: #643098

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Hi Laura,

I think I've seen those pull bouys. I have a water weight thing (shaped like a dumbbell that floats) and I put it between my knees and it seems to work. Is there anything about the pull bouys I wonder that would make it better than my dumbbell thingy? I've already established myself as the pool dork so I don't really care what I look like .

I'm taking it a little easy by not putting too much strain on my shoulder until I feel like its capable of pushing a little harder so I haven't used the bouy thing lately - just last year when I was sporadically swimming some laps. I've had to get steroid shots in the past. I am surprisingly pleased that it hasn't even needed ice since I've been swimming. I need to start doing some exercises they gave me last year to strengthen the little muscles in my shoulder.

How did the clinic go? I'm envious. Of course I gotta brag about the weather here - A cold front came in today and I just got back from a gorgeous walk/run in about 70 degree and really beautiful sunshine. Hey, you guys have had it pretty nice this year so far too so I can brag too much!

See ya,
Tara

2007-01-08 3:45 PM
in reply to: #644852

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Hi Danielle,

Gosh I had no clue that I'd learn about computer stuff as much as about triathlons by joining this group. Cool! Okay, I think I did it right on my trainging log. I added all you guys in and put the link in. Now I can get to this screen from my log. So, is the blog different than this? Jeez - sorry to sound so dumb. I did finally notice the little red letters by the "inspire me" note and read them all - Thanks to all for cheering me along.

Do I blog to just sort of dialogue with myself and/or others about how I'm doing? I kinda put notes in my training log about that but if blogging is better I'll put them there.

I haven't yet read all the nutrition articles so this question may be answered in them, but when should I eat before I run? I haven't yet reached my goal of the 5:30am deal but I used to jump right out of bed, warm up, stretch and run before eating anything - just drinking a glass of water. With my crazy schedule in the morning its hard to eat before I run but I'm finding myself really feeling like I'm out of fuel. Even today at mid-day (I'm off on Mondays) it had been 3 hours since I last ate and I think I should have had something to eat closer to when I ran. I don't want to eat too close to running time or I'll slosh around. Any ideas on a drink or bar or something I can eat about 1/2 or at most an hour before I run?

Thanks much!
Tara
2007-01-08 11:17 PM
in reply to: #646776

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
Tara,

I find the amount of time I need to wait before I exercise after eating depends on a couple of factors: what I ate (and how much) and what I am training. For the bike, the wait is minimal. There's just not much jostling around that would cause distress or dislodging your meal. In general, I try to wait about an hour after a larger meal, but I can jump right on if I have something small like a PB&J. In longer events, you wind up eating something on the bike anyway.

For a swim, I try to wait about 1.5 hours after a decent size meal. Nothing too big, but a moderate meal sits well by that time as long as it is not something that you would normally taste for a while afterward. For example, chili and chlorine do not mix well.

I am most sensitive to running after eating. It turns my stomach into a washing machine. I try to wait a couple of hours after a meal before thinking about a run. After I eat, I load up on water up to about 45 minutes before the run. A quick potty stop and I'm ready to go at relatively max hydration.

If you run early in the morning, I strongly suggest something small but carb rich. A half of a bagel with peanut butter and/or jelly works well for me. After a relatively full night's sleep, your body has burned up a lot of the muscle fuel (glycogen) needed to get in a decent workout. Give the body a little fuel and you should be good to go for a reasonable session.

Bottom line: It depends on what your system can tolerate. Experiment a little, but I suggest starting on the smaller side and work your way up to suit your needs and tolerance.

Hope this helps!
2007-01-09 10:08 AM

Tara - I agree that you will find what works for you when working out once you experiment a little bit.  In the athlete's kitchen link I posted before, there are guidelines for how many carbs to eat before working out.  If you find that you are having a hard time with food, you might consider taking an energy gel (Gu, CliffShot, things like that).  These are taken about 15 minutes before exercise and are usually pretty easy to digest.  One of my goals is to give morning workouts a try for a month (twice a week), so I need to get on top of this early morning nutrition thing myself.  Pre-race, I will usually have 1/2 a bagel with peanut butter and a Gu 15 minutes before I start.
2007-01-09 10:17 AM

Hey guys - you might want to try posting your scheduling questions on the Triathlon Talk board.  I rely on my coach to tell me what races I can and can't do, because otherwise I'd do too many.  There are definitely people who will be able to help you with race scheduling.

Kate and Todd - you might want to post your questions in the Iron Distance forum, which is for questions about half iron distance races as well as full.

Laura, for what it's worth... I think three weeks between races would be fine, but I'm only basing this on what has worked for me so take that with a grain of salt.

2007-01-10 7:08 AM
in reply to: #646738

User image

New user

Hey Tara-

The swim clinic went ok. I mean...I discovered that I have different problems with my stroke than I originally thought so that is good. I guess my bigger issue is that I find the swim so overwhelming and daunting. I'm not afraid that I'm going to drown or anything. I can swim. There is just SOOO much to think about! Keep one arm out at all times, blow bubbles to get all the air out of your lungs before you take a breath, kick at the surface...with riding and running...I just go! I don't really think about it. I get in the pool and I definitely have a moment when I panic...it's short and I get through it but it's definitely there.

I'm not used to sticking with an activity that I don't pick up naturally. It's not that I'm a quitter...I just tend to avoid activities that end up with me more frustrated than when I started! So for me, a big part of this tri, is about setting the goal and acheiving it...no matter what...fighting through the discomfort. Practice practice practice!

Laura

2007-01-10 11:04 AM
in reply to: #648721

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Glad it went well - well, sort of. Its true, you can get info overload reading and learning about all this stuff, especially swimming. Yesterday was cool in the pool though, I tried wearing a swim cap for the 1st time to hold my ear wax ball things in my ears (I'm scared to use the new "screw in" type that I bought cuz I screwed one in my ear the first day I got them and couldn't get it out - yikes!) and it was so quiet that I kinda "zenned" out while I was in the middle of doing 400. I think I could have gone on forever. The strokes actually felt easy - Have you read "Total Immersion?" I'm finding it helpful in my very novice status so I don't know what others think about it.

Keep on perservering through the rough spots. I am telling myself to believe that adversity is a good thing and if you hang in there you will be stronger and leaner and more efficient than you ever were before. I'm setting my mind on welcoming the tough challenges. Its amazing how mental all this stuff is. HANG IN THERE - You'll be glad you did!

See ya,
Tara
2007-01-10 11:11 AM

I have days where everything feels all wrong in the pool... my legs aren't kicking properly, I can't keep my head aligned, whatever.  These used to be the ONLY kind of days I'd have in the pool, and I still have them (too often) - but now there are also days when I just get it and I feel that everything is coming together, and it feels GOOD.  Those days are the reason why I'm sticking to the frustrating swimming. 

Edited by danielle860 2007-01-10 11:12 AM
2007-01-10 1:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
I have my first coaching session tonight, a little apprehenisve really.

But I know I am not going to improve my swim speed & efficiency much unless I get it worked on.

Will give you an update tomorrow on how I get on.

Cheers

JG
2007-01-10 11:06 PM
in reply to: #649419

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
Looking forward to your shared knowledge!
2007-01-11 7:54 AM

User image

New user

Thanks for all of the kind words of wisdom! I am getting back in the pool tomorrow morning. We'll see how it goes. Positive thinking!

Maybe I'll pick up some of those ear plugs. I can't stand all the water in my ears.

Laura

2007-01-11 9:09 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Hi Guy's,

A quick update as promised. I really enjoyed my first tri swim squad session.

I have been training by myself since September so it was great to train with other peope. I found the whole experience very motivating and it has reinforced to me why I am doing this....

I swam with four other newbies in a lane, I was easily the best swimmer and was the only one to finish all the programme within the 1:15 hours which was great. The Tri-Coach said to me I was a strong swimmer and just needed work on a few bits of my stroke and my kicking to increase speed and efficency. (All very good for the ego, but I know I am miles away from where I need to be to be a solid mid-packer in the swim.

Things I learnt which I can share.
1/ We did an excellent drill. In deep end of the pool 1 minute stiff legged standing kicks with your hands wrapped at your chests feet pointed down. I found after three sets of this my kicking when I swam seemed a lot better. (Do without fins if possible, but remember to close your mouth as you will go under at some point)

2/ Probably the best thing I got out of it was she advised me not to start my pull under water until my other arm was slightly over my head on te recovery stroke, seemed to make me glide a lot more in the water and I could feel I was using less strokes to get up and down the pool.

So all in all a very positive start, they commence bike and run training in Spring which I am going to sign up for. Only downside is it is expensive.

Happy Training all...

Cheers

JG

2007-01-11 9:44 AM

Very cool James!  Sounds like the pointers will be worth the cost of the class.  You guys are inspiring me to join the masters swim in my area...
2007-01-11 1:31 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Hey See attached link.

My new coach just sent me through this link, has drills on video etc.

We did this one last night. If you click on drill of the week on the left hand side you get a whole lot more.

http://www.goswim.tv/drilloftheweek_comments.php?id=2910_0_20_0_C
2007-01-12 11:29 AM

Hello everyone.  Got any good workouts planned for the weekend?  I know that it's pretty much going to rain the whole time here in the northeast, but I still plan on getting out there for two runs.  Will be staying inside on the trainer for my bike ride though.

-Danielle 

2007-01-12 11:48 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Hey there - I may be going to a bike/run/stretching session with my new tri group tomorrow.

They run from 8am - 10am a supervised/coached indoor biking session and then running and stretching.

bummer about it rainning...

JG

2007-01-12 4:20 PM
in reply to: #652240

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
danielle860 - 2007-01-12 11:29 AM

Hello everyone.  Got any good workouts planned for the weekend?  I know that it's pretty much going to rain the whole time here in the northeast, but I still plan on getting out there for two runs.  Will be staying inside on the trainer for my bike ride though.

-Danielle 

Hi!
This is a crazy weekend for me but I hope to get in a swim and run tomorrow and maybe a long bike ride on Monday. I'm working all weekend so I'll have to see how it goes. The weather is supposed to be gorgeous! - sorry you Yanks (Hey, I'm from Ohio originally so I feel your pain).
Tara
2007-01-12 7:00 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Tara - given I grew up in NZ, Lived in London for 7 years and then Switzerland for 2 years and have only lived in the US for 5 months, probably a bit premature to call me a YANK. 8-)

2007-01-13 12:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
A little strength on Saturday, a LSD on Sunday (10-12 miles, not certain yet), and shooting for 4400 yards (2.5 miles) in the pool on Monday. That will be my longest continuous swim so far. I got a call from a buddy tonight asking to join a 4-person team doing a swim challenge at the Y. Our goal is 240 miles in 10 weeks. That should give me a little motivation to get my but out of bed during the week! That'll help fill in the bike void created by the Wisconsin winter that should be arriving someday.
2007-01-13 11:55 AM
in reply to: #653106

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Oops! - sorry 'bout that. Hey, what part of London did you live in? My mom lived in Shepperton (south of London) for 5 years and I've had the pleasure of visiting the UK several times. My step-dad grew up in London. Great city! I love the West Country and clotted cream - it's to die for!!

Have time for a swim before I get back to work and then maybe a run later in the evening. Hope ya'll are enjoying the weekend. tb
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » danielle860's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6