of 6

2007-01-23 7:34 PM
in reply to: #630903

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Subject: RE: danielle860's group - FULL
Hi Everyone!

I'm not gone - just crazy busy. I'll be back tomorrow with a vengeance.

Hey, do you think by looking at my running log (stop your laughing!) that there is any way possible I could do a 5K by March 17th? We have a Shamrock Run in Inverness that day and I'd like to get my feet wet by trying to run a 5k again (even though the last time I ran one - it was only my 2nd race ever - I promised myself I'd never run in one again cuz I was sooooo miserable the entire way). I may only be able to do 12 minute miles but would it be good to try?

I'm thinking I can really focus on running for a while to get in shape for the Shamrock and by that time the Masters Swimmers will be starting up at the pool so I can focus on that for a while. Meanwhile I'll keep working on the biking too (it seems to be where I feel most comfortable).

Thanks for any guidance you can give......

Tara

2007-01-23 9:39 PM
in reply to: #665632

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
tbryant - 2007-01-23 7:34 PM

Hi Everyone!

I'm not gone - just crazy busy. I'll be back tomorrow with a vengeance.

Hey, do you think by looking at my running log (stop your laughing!) that there is any way possible I could do a 5K by March 17th?

Absolutely! In my opinion, the slow building with a mix of run/walk is the perfect way to start. Each time out, try to increase the ratio of run to walk until you are "running" the whole time. Find a steady pace at which you can hold something of a conversation (ironically called a "conversational pace") and go for a mile. My biggest obstacle to overcome at the continuous run, once I was past the run/walk alternating, was the boredom. Once I discovered the magic of the MP3 player, I was golden. Slap on some tunes to get over the monotony.

A 12 minute pace puts you on the road for around 38 minutes. A very manageable goal for you based on your log. You can do it!
2007-01-24 9:25 AM

1)  FWIW, I definitely think you can complete a 5K by March 17
2) I think it's an excellent idea to complete one before you tackle a sprint tri.

You know I love links by now, so here is a link to a plan I used as a guideline when starting out.  It's 8 weeks, so you could start on the second week and be ready in time.  http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Knovice.htm

We can't tell how fast/far you are running now from your logs, but you might want to consider doing a run/walk for the race itself.  People  complete marathons using this method.  There's lots of info on this at the Jeff Galloway website, here are two links.
5K training plan: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html
Walk/Run theory applied to marathon: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

Edited by danielle860 2007-01-24 9:27 AM
2007-01-24 2:47 PM
in reply to: #666117

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
Hey Danielle!

Thanks for the links. Have you or anyone else ever tried the run/walk prescription described in the last link? Physiologically it seems to make sense, but mentally I can't seem to get over the fact that you should be running in a marathon. Aren't marathons supposed to hurt?
2007-01-24 9:02 PM
in reply to: #665779

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I just found an old photo of one of my two horrible experiences with a 5k. I hated how hard it was - I think I just wasn't conditioned enough to "enjoy" it, or maybe thats not possible. Anyway, my time for the 5k was 31.52 so that's my time to beat!!! I better get my butt moving if I'm snailing along at slower than 12 min/mile. I see how the run/walk thing is working and then I eventually string all my runs together and I'll be running the whole way. Then I can focus on speed.

Have a good one,
Tara
2007-01-24 9:06 PM
in reply to: #666117

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Danielle,
Ya - thinks for the links. They were helpful. Gosh, I HATE to think of walking at all, I think that's why I hated my first 2 races, I probably should have walked but I refused to and it was miserable. I'm really going to try to get in condition to where I can run further than a 5k so I know the race won't be miserable. I remember I hated being passed (which was the norm) so I'd try to keep up with others (even though I started pretty far back) and then I burned myself out. That's why I like the headphones, they kinda put me in a zone where I don't feel so compelled to go too fast.

I'm back!!

See ya,
Tara

2007-01-24 9:09 PM
in reply to: #667035

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
I've heard it said that there are no more "original" ideas. It's also been said that plagarism is the sincerest form of flattery. It is in this interest that I am stealing this idea from Hangloose.

List the longest distance you have done in each event. It can be in training or in a race, either as part of a tri individual sport. Current (within the past few years) accomplishments are preferred but feel free to add any historical accomplishments if you like. I don't have anything that resembles "historical accomplishments" unless you count longest hangover or beer drinking records - 2 days and 22 beers, respectively, in case your interested

Here goes:

Longest tri: Lake Geneva Oly (.9mi, 26mi, 6.2mi). HIM in the plans for this summer.
Longest swim: 3500 yards, so far. Planning 5000 for this weekend if I can find the time.
Longest bike: 60 miles. Will crack the 100 mi mark this summer!
Longest run: 13.1 miles. Doing Grandma's Marathon this year, if I can get in. Otherwise, I'll pick something closer to home.

2007-01-24 9:28 PM
in reply to: #667044

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Okay - my "records" are easy:
I rode 27 miles on my bike last year (not a good thing to do before you get used to your saddle).
I ran 3.2 miles in 2 races a couple of years ago (although I played basketball in college and I swear we ran more than that in a game).
I used to think we swam 1 mile when I took Senior Life Saving in High School but now that I've experienced "laps" at the pool, I think my most recent straight 500 is the longest.

Hey, it ain't much but I intend to "best" these this year!!! See ya,

TB
2007-01-25 11:50 AM

Hey Todd - there were some posts about the Galloway Method on the triathlon talk board a while back.  You might be able to find them in a search. 
2007-01-25 11:53 AM

User image

New user

My stats aren't bad actually:

Bike:

102 mile ride last May, the Montauk Century. For all you tri-staters, I highly recommend it. It's the easiest century you'll ever sign up for. Flat with the wind at your back the entire way.

Run:

6.1 miles twice last week in the park. Going to do 8 miles on Saturday. I'm training for the NJ Half.

Swim:

I don't know how many yards I've swum consecutively without resting...maybe 250? But I've had a swim session where I swam a total of 1900 yards

Laura
2007-01-26 11:17 AM

Laura, I am psyched that you are training for the LB half!  Remember to sign up by January 31 if you haven't already... early reg will save you some $$$.  Thanks for the info, I am considering a century to keep my fitness after I do the HIM, so I will definitely have to check out Montauk.  All I ride around my place are hills hills hills, so it would be a nice change.

Anyway, my stats are definitely going to need to be upped for the season I've got planned.  But here is what I managed last year:
Swim: Prob 1.5-1.75 miles.  We go to a lake in the summer and just swim for 50 minutes to an hour.  Very relaxing!
Bike: Probably only 40 miles.  There is a reason why I am weak on the bike.
Run: 15 miles

Edited by danielle860 2007-01-26 11:22 AM

2007-01-26 11:21 AM

Darn... I just checked and that century is in May.  Don't think I am going to be ready by then since I am still trying to work out my running.  Maybe next year!
2007-01-29 11:04 PM

User image

Just wondering if anyone knows of or where I can find swimming groups/classes in the Chicago area...
2007-01-30 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Crap! - Its cold down here. What is a trainer for my bike and which one do you recommend?

It froze here last night - BRRRRR!!!!! Everything I do is outside and so far its been really nice and warm so it hasn't been a problem but now the pool is COLD and I don't have any of the leg or arm warmers or anything for my bike! I think a "trainer" would be good if I knew which one to get.

Tara
2007-01-30 4:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Hi Guy's - Have you checked out Danielle's training log post today?

This is very bad news but I completly understand why she is going icognito.

So where do we go from here? I think given we haven't heard from a lot of people for a while we look at disbanding the group as it would appear we have lost our mentor......

What do you all think?

Thxs

JG

2007-01-30 7:35 PM
in reply to: #673320

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Hi James,

Ya, I read her log and obviously don't know the whole story but I'm really bummed. I loved Danielle's inspiring links and websites and thought her log notes were hilarious but also very inspiring. I thought something was up the last couple days when no one harrassed me for not getting out there.

There have been a lot of "nonactive" folks in our group. I guess we can join another group huh? Any suggestions of which ones are good? Danielle, if you're out there - any suggestions?

Let me know if you're moving on - guess it sounds like a good idea but it still sucks.

I'm open to suggestions and I"ll miss your encouraging, humorous remarks.

Tara

2007-01-30 8:43 PM

User image

This is a total bummer and I feel so badly for danielle. She is a great coach, even for us less internet active group members. It sounds like her wisdom and inspiration will be missed by most everyone. Best of luck to her.
I don't speak up much, but I appreciate everyone's comments and I have learned a lot about training from reading all you guys have written. So thanks to you all too!
So does this leave us to find another group? What's everyone else thinking?
2007-01-31 12:04 AM
in reply to: #673540

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
Hey all!

Regardless of whether we decide to formally disband or not, I will still be in touch with many of you.

mpietrucha: I'll send you a link to a local mentor group.
tdactyl: Keep up that swimming. I'll be available if you want any "expert" advice
james: Keep up the commentary. You're keeping me honest and entertained!

We are in January with a long and enjoyable tri season ahead of us. Keep up the work that you have been putting in, use your short term and long term goals to help motivate and focus your efforts, and stick with it! Remember: a body in motion leaves an impression; a body on the couch leaves a dent.

Let me know what everyone else is thinking

2007-01-31 2:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Hi everyone,

I'm going to join another group. I hate to move on but this has been a great inspiration to me and I need to keep in a group with momentum. I'll try to keep in touch if I can figure out how. I'll keep you guys in my "friends" list.

Danielle, I hope the best for you. You seem like an awesome person and were the perfect mentor. Hope you can get back to doing it some day soon. The rest of you were great too. Be well.

See you guys around. Gosh, this is painful .... I've never been in a group like this and didn't realize how attached you get, even not knowing eachother. Ugh --- see ya'll! Train hard and have fun....

Tara
2007-01-31 6:58 PM
in reply to: #673653

User image

Thanks! Links to local groups would be great. I need something to keep me honest and motivated, especially with the swimming part (ugh).
Best of luck to everyone!
2007-02-01 7:43 AM

User image

New user

I just looked at Danielle's message last night and I feel so sad. I really looked forward to reading everyone's posts each day.

Any thoughts on what groups people are considering joining?

Laura

2007-02-01 11:23 PM
in reply to: #675137

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
I've been moonlighting in Whizzzzz's group. They're local for me, but conversation has been a bit sparse lately. I imagine the initial wave of getting to know each other has died down and it's a slow part of the year for outdoor training around here. December and the early part of January were pretty mild (highs in the high 30's) but now it is just damn cold! Highs in the mid single digits this weekend with lows close to -10. There was a guy on TV tonight that said it is never too cold to run outside if you dress properly. What a load of crap. It's really hard to run when you're dressed like an eskimo
2007-02-03 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Hi guys,

I've joined another group but really miss this one - if we could regroup that would be great. Has anyone heard from Danielle?

Also, I can't seem to get an answer regarding trainers for my bike in the other group. Can anyone give me advice on which ones to avoid and/or consider? I don't care about all the gadgets but want one that is sturdy, not gonna wreck my tires to bad and one that I don't have to tear my bike all apart each time I use it. Any suggestions?

Hope you are all well....

Tara
2007-02-04 8:49 AM
in reply to: #677980

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Hi - I got a Kurt Kenetic for X-Mas. I like it very quiet and easy to slip the bike in and out of. They have a website, can't remember it but if you google Kut Kenetic should come up. Also my Tri-coach used it at a group session and thought it was one of teh better one's she had used...

The trainer has a life time guarentee on the frame and 5 years on the parts.

2007-02-05 7:17 AM

User image

New user

Hey-

I would give advice on the trainer but mine was a hand me down from my sister. I don't know what kind but she gave it to me 2 years ago and I just started using it a month ago. I love it but it's way noisy and if my luck is right, it probably is wripping up my tires as well.

How is everyone handling the cold front that is moving through the nation? I am getting REALLY sick of riding on the trainer and running on the treadmill!!

Laura
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » danielle860's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6