General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Needle...won't...move Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-22 10:41 AM

Subject: Needle...won't...move
Hi all,

Just started training a few weeks ago for a sprint this summer.

Start weight: 266.5
Weight today: 261.5

I've been stuck on that 261.5 for a couple of weeks now, even though I've been working my butt off and eating cleaner than ever. Any thoughts?

Christmas traditions—Fondue with the family

Getting through the holidays—Don't have any yet. I guess we'll find out this weekend.

2006-12-22 11:15 AM
in reply to: #631545

User image

Master
Portland, OR
Subject: RE: Needle...won't...move

Hang in there Journo, we've all been there.  Some of us are there right now!!    Are you tracking your calories (both consumed and burned)?  IMHO, it's really hard to train for a triathlon AND lose weight.  Don't get me wrong, you will lose weight...slowly.  (Which is the best way, I think.)

Be patient and train smart!
Sharon

2006-12-22 2:21 PM

User image

Master
Northern California

Journo - 2006-12-22 8:41 AM Hi all, Just started training a few weeks ago for a sprint this summer. Start weight: 266.5 Weight today: 261.5 I've been stuck on that 261.5 for a couple of weeks now, even though I've been working my butt off and eating cleaner than ever. Any thoughts? Christmas traditions—Fondue with the family Getting through the holidays—Don't have any yet. I guess we'll find out this weekend.

My first thought is that you haven't given us 1/10 of the information needed to offer advice.

What is your training plan like? Diet? Rest? Lifting weights? Mostly though, what is your diet like? 

2006-12-22 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Despite eating clean and working out, I barely lost any weight at all until I started logging both. Counting up all the calories I eat, and logging up all the miles and minutes I train. It makes a huge difference in seeing what you're actually taking in vs. burning up.
2006-12-22 11:47 PM
in reply to: #631900

I got my training program from a different website, but I'm all ready off it in that I'm running for longer and biking for longer. Having problems with swimming because pool is closed for maintenance for the next two weeks.

I do lift weights after I run or bike, about three times per week. I run, right now, for 25 minutes and I'm biking ten miles. I usually finish those off with either a stint on the eliptical trainer for 20 minutes or so. I'm really trying to build up my cardiovascualy capacity well...I am ashamed to admit I am smoker at this point, but I plan on changing that in the New Year.

Diet-wise, I'm eating pretty clean. Geting upwards of seven servings of fruits and vegetables a day. I eat a lot chicken and ground beef. I eat refined pasta instead of whole wheat because I just don't like it. All tolled, I probably don't eat more than 20 grams of fat in a day.

As for rest, I'm currently training five days a week, with a day of rest after three days, then again after another two days. It's tough to take a rest day because I really want to keep working. My cardio has increased dramatically since I started three weeks ago.

I haven't started keeping a log of my calories yet, mostly because I don't have a scale, which I will try to rectify soon

Peter
2006-12-23 3:21 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
I would not be too worried about weight staying the same for 2 weeks or even 4 weeks. Just keep up the good eating and exercise habits and things will take care of themself. When I was losing my weight, it would always go in spurts. Lose 5 pounds, then stay flat for a month or two. Then, bang, another 5 pounds. Then another plateau. I did this all the way from 25% body fat down to about 5% body fat.

The important thing is to just keep being consistent in your good habits. They will definitely pay off. Just be patient.

2006-12-25 8:49 AM

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan
When I started Tri training my weight loss plateau'd for over 6 months.  Eventually it started to come down again but remember that other things are happening...ie.  body fat %.  Keep at it.  Remember though...the scale is just a number.  How you look and feel is so much more important than falling victim to a number!  Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Needle...won't...move Rss Feed