Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2007-01-02 9:24 AM
in reply to: #631738

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
Subject: RE: DRM's Group - OPEN
I have Two Hours on the bike and one in the pool today. My legs are really spent after the last couple of days.  AS per powerlifting and IM in 6 mos., I'll get back to you after I put some more thought into it.

2007-01-02 9:41 AM
in reply to: #638923

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: DRM's Group - OPEN
Did 79 sit-ups prior to teaching spin class at 5:45AM...that's it for today.  Depending upon time I hit the sack tonight, I may swim or jog tomorrow morning; have a 2-hr ride planned for tomorrow evening (6-8PM) at Shiloh Farms (off McFarland) if anybody wants to join me.
2007-01-02 9:58 AM
in reply to: #637305

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: DRM's Group - FULL

Avpant,

Welcome aboard! Man another Atlantaian in the ranks!  Sounds like you are aff to a very good start with a few races under your belt and are hooked to the sport. 

I'll add your to my blogs and will be checking in with you as we go along...

avpant - 2006-12-30 2:52 PM Hey Guys, i would also like to join this group if DRM is willing ! Name - Avinash Story - I am a 34 year old father of one (year and a half old boy) and my wife is still trying to comprehend my newly aquired craze for this sport ! I am 5'9" and weigh about 70kg (still not used to pounds) I have always been into sports and outdoors and have generally stayed 'fit' (i use the term loosely) through life. Used to play soccer, cricket, basketball among others... I was hooked to triathlons while watching TV once back home in India and some channel was covering this tri-race. I was totally fascinated and decided I had to do it. I used to live right next to the sea so i borrowed a friends bike, and between the pool in my building, and biking and running right by the sea outside I had my training going. Then I realized that there are actually no triathlons in India (my home country) at all. As luck would have it I got the opportunity to transfer to the US with my company and among other things I realized that would at least get to take part in a triathlon. My first tri was Clemson Sprint last year in May, I did it without any training whatsoever and sure enough was last in my AG and pretty much among the last few finishers !! My second tri was Lake Lanier and did much better with a MOP finish... still have a long long way to go... unlike other athletes I have no strong sport, I am average in all three; the only thing is that I love being in open water and actually enjoy that part of a triathlon !! I havent yet decided my races for 07 but definitely want to inclue an Olympic distance race next year... am also planning to run the Atlanta Half-Marathon Current Training - I make sure that I work out 4-5 times a week but dont really have a fixed plan. Apart from the three sports i mix it up with soccer, yoga, racquetball, rock-climbing - basically any activity I can find !! That's about it... It would be fun to learn from you guys and I realize that there are some others in this group from Atlanta - so it would be great to ride together sometime... Avinash

Edited by DRM 2007-01-02 10:41 AM
2007-01-02 10:00 AM
in reply to: #637285

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Welcome Joe!

You'll fit in fine to our group!  I love to hear how you all have come to the sport, your struggles to get in training and such too. 

I like to do the same races every year whenever I can to gauge my progression.  I've done one local sprint 4 times although in different categories (Team, FT 2x & AG 1x), another Sprint twice (AG, and Oly 4 times (Team, FT 1x, AG 2x including a bike crash).

I'll include you on my blog watch list and check in time to time as well as on this thread...

run joe run - 2006-12-30 2:05 PM

Hi guys - I would like to join in as well. 

Name: run joe run/Joe

Story/Family Status:  I am a 35yo, soon to be 36yo, married father of two.  10yo daughter (kid triathlete) and a 3yo sin son.  Whoops, is there such a thing as a typing Freudian slip?  I am 5'10" and currently 156 lbs, but my racing weight last year was about 151.  I think that puts me in the small frame category.  When I started training for triathlons I went to a nutritionist because I knew I wasn't doing things correctly.  I weighed 143 lbs with 8.7% body fat. 

I too have always considered myself to be athletic, except for a lot of my 20's - a mere 25% of my life - where I didn't exercise enough and drank/partied too much.  As a child I spent a lot of time hiking/camping and just playing outdoors.  I also played football and some baseball, basketball, and track. 

I became more motivated as I approached my 30th birthday and began to exercise more, but had no goal.  I got a set of free weights and did some cardio on a Nordic Trac thing.  I own a roofing company so every winter when we were slow I would get in pretty good shape and then by the end of the summer my fitness would decline.  As the business grew I spent less time in the field and more time behind a desk and you guessed it, my fitness declined.  Christmas 2005 I gave my wife an elliptical trainer and even though I don't like it I began to use it in addition to the weights.  As spring turned to summer I began to run outside and was soon doing three miles. 

I had seen the Ironman championship on TV as a kid a couple of times, but my real introduction to triathlon came after my first, and only, 5K race.  I signed up for a 5K that was a companion event to a triathlon.  My wife did the race with me and when it was over we watched the swimmers go thru T1.  I was hooked!  I came home and googled "triathlon" and found BT.  I immediately added biking on my MTB and swimming in our neighborhood pool and at the lake to my training regiment.

Last Year's Races:  A 5K and two sprints.  My first race was awesome, but I probably shouldn't have done the second one as I was battling ITBS.

2007 Races:  I have registered for the Lonestar sprint (March 31st) and I'm planning to do my inaugural race again, as well as the tri that started it all for me at that 5K race.  Finally, I want to do a HIM in Sept.

Injury Status:  As a result of my ignorance and zeal I spent most of my training time last year in Z3 and a lot in what was probably high Z3 to low Z4 and that set the stage for an injury.  I went from running 3-4 miles to running 5 miles on hills one day and then two days later 6 miles, BAM!  I got to learn what ITBS stood for.

Current Training:  I have worked on rehabbing my ITB and I'm now back up to running 3-4 miles twice a week.  I am biking a little and swimming some, but I really haven't set a plan since I feel safer listening to my body and when I feel anything alarming I take a couple days off.  I just got a Heart Rate monitor and plan to learn how to use it and train a lot smarter and safer this year.  I think I need help with HR training and using rest/recovery time.

Wrapping It Up:  My life is very busy.  My wife owns her own business as well, and our daughter is very active with sports, so training time is limited and sporadic.  I'm going to try to be creative with training time this year to achieve my goals, but I think I need help setting a plan and sticking to it.

I'm excited to get back to where I was last year and continue on, and I'm looking forward to "working" with you guys.  This is going to be good.

Thanks

Edited by DRM 2007-01-02 10:41 AM
2007-01-02 10:25 AM
in reply to: #638380

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Welcome 'thebullmccabe'!

WOW, powerlifter to IM, man that is a challenge!  I'm not sure I can answer your questions though, a great place for your questions that you wrote would be on the "Triathlon Talk" forum.  Given that you have time to train, you'll have to be conservate to avoid overuse injuries.  Not sure of your swimming background but with a decent ability and a wetsuit you should be able to do it.  Biking 112 miles though, it is a tough thing to do and getting T.I.T.S (Time In The Saddle) is very important.  For the run, Run-walk method is ideal, I did this for the HIM in Nov, every 1 mile I walked 10-30 sec with a single 2 min break at 8-9 mile point.  Nutirition during training and the race is the biggie, it'll make or break you, checkout the following for some good info:

www.e-caps.com/downloads/fuelinghandbook.pdf

As for your strentgh concerns, it is all a compromise, I had to backoff on lifting (what little I was doing) in order to do the cardio training.  I do know that lifting 1x a week you can maintain strength levels.

Hopefully you have a training plan that gives you the periodic training (3 weeks build, 1 week recovery) to avoid the overuse injuries.  You have one heck of a goal and hope we all can help you achieve it!

BTW, is your first name Joe?

thebullmccabe - 2007-01-01 1:50 PM hi from ireland,and happy new year. i would like to join your group,but first i have a question or 2 to ask you regarding myself and my goals. a few facts about me. i am a 90 kg, male powerlifter,i compete in the w.d.f.p.a. {world drug free powerlifting assoc.} i made out national team this year,and have won several national medals, in both full powerlifting and single lifts. this fact should demonsrate the fact that i have the training mind set. i also,{5 years ago} have done a good bit of mountain work, with weighted back packs,but the distance was never over 12 miles. in fact i never have run over 12 miles. i did a bit of rugby training last year,to help with the powerlifting,and to keep the cardio up,and i had no problems with that. the only cardio i have done since then is on the punchbag, crosstrainer,but i weight train 3 times a week,and even though i am a competive powerlifter,me and the lads train with a lot of{high rep} pyrimad reps and sets, and we train the old way like arnold and franco.benches squats deadlifts, curls .im sure you know the drill. {in powerlifting}i compete in the 90 kg class, but really i should be more like,76/80kg. i am at least a stone over weight.i have lots of fat to burn before cardio{that i should be doing} starts eating into the muscle/strength i have built up. is it possible, that a guy like me could train him self up in 6 months for his first ironman? i have no problems with the blood n guts routine. my friend is doing it,and he recons i should.the same guy has trained with me before,and is a ex army man who has done the marathon. i have the luxury of not working this year, so i can keep up the weights.also, i am not worried about competing {much} in powerlifting this year. the race is the ironman uk which is in august,that gives me 6 mounths, with one recovery mounth. to see what i mean buy been over weight ,yet into the weights,have a look at my page on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__xa0EIZ34sthere is a clip of me and my friends training and i am the one with the gut posing at the start ,and on the bag at the end. could i do it from base fitness in 6 months? thank you very much for your time.

Edited by DRM 2007-01-02 10:40 AM
2007-01-02 10:39 AM
in reply to: #639055

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

OK guys, the DRM group is now FULL!

Here's who we are:

1. Avpant
  2. Bluejack
  3. jonathan22
  4. run joe run
  5. thebullmccabe
  6. drm

Thanks for checking and I look forward to encouraging/assisting you all in the next few months to help reach your goals.  I also an looking forward to receiving some positive feedback to help me out with my 1st goal of the year, the Tri-America series opener Long Course event in April.

Edited by DRM 2007-01-02 12:39 PM

2007-01-02 10:48 AM
in reply to: #639055

User image

Master
DRM - 2007-01-02 10:25 AM

it'll make or break you, checkout the following for some good info:

www.e-caps.com/downloads/fuelinghandbook.pdf

Thanks for that Don. I was needing some information like that myself.
2007-01-02 12:38 PM
in reply to: #639075

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Hey All,

We will be adding one more, TitanIV will be with us.  He's a freind of mine and we ride/train together once in a while.  Interesting fact, I met him here on BT in 2004 when I first signed on.  We are both planning on doing the Tri-america Long Course in April.  I'll wait for him to post his bio, etc...

DRM - 2007-01-02 11:39 AM

Here's who we are:

1. Avpant
  2. Bluejack
  3. jonathan22
  4. run joe run
  5. thebullmccabe
  6. TitanIV
  7. drm

Thanks for checking and I look forward to encouraging/assisting you all in the next few months to help reach your goals.  I also an looking forward to receiving some positive feedback to help me out with my 1st goal of the year, the Tri-America series opener Long Course event in April.

Edited by DRM 2007-01-02 12:39 PM
2007-01-02 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

I forgot to mention what I'm doing today.

The plan is to get in an easy run today and rest up for a long ride, at least long for my ITB, on Thurs.  I haven't ridden to the point of pain for awhile so Thursday's ride will let me gauge my improvement.

Anybody have any good info on Heart Rate training?

2007-01-02 12:46 PM
in reply to: #639366

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Here's who we are:

1. Avpant
  2. Bluejack
  3. jonathan22
  4. run joe run
  5. thebullmccabe
  6. TitanIV
  7. drm

OK...now I'm feeling really "left out" - I was the first to respond to DRM's post and now I'm no longer part of the group...I promise, I did take a shower this morning...;-)

Edited by LHablas 2007-01-02 12:47 PM
2007-01-02 12:51 PM
in reply to: #639382

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

LOL!  Dude I'm so sorry!  Now we are at 8 total, too much going on today at work & wrapping up the swim challenge I guess...

Here's who we are:

1. Avpant
  2. Bluejack
  3. jonathan22
  4. LHablas
  5. run joe run
  6. thebullmccabe
  7. TitanIV
  8. drm

LHablas - 2007-01-02 1:46 PM

Here's who we are:

1. Avpant
  2. Bluejack
  3. jonathan22
  4. run joe run
  5. thebullmccabe
  6. TitanIV
  7. drm

OK...now I'm feeling really "left out" - I was the first to respond to DRM's post and now I'm no longer part of the group...I promise, I did take a shower this morning...;-)

2007-01-02 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

I am signed up to be a backup mentor and may need to do that later on also, but will post here.

NAME: TitanIV / Cameron
STORY:
I am a software engineer who has always played competitive sports (beach volleyball, travelling softball team, racquetball tournaments). I have been on BT for several years and have watched it grow and now I want to give some back. I am not a coach but have researched the sport a lot (I am an engineer after all).

FAMILY STATUS:
I have been married for 15 years and have a daughter.
CURRENT TRAINING:
I have been doing a run focus since I took off running for a little over a year. I am planning for a spring Oly and ITU long course (1.5x oly) and a HIM in the fall. I do a lot of HR training based on LT.
LAST YEAR'S RACES: I did not race last year due to the year from hell with being sick, injured or wrist surgery. I have been training most of the last 6 months to get ready for next season.
2007 RACES: 
Wildman Oly Mar 18
Tri-America Long course Apr 15
MiamiMan HIM Nov.
Other races sprinkled in such as Health First Oly in Oct and some sprints at Moss Park.
WEIGHTLOSS: 
A few years ago I hit 215 after quitting racquetball to save my back and knees and decided to get back in shape. I got started in tris from losing weight using the Body For Life program. This got me doing more cardio that I hated before and I became hooked :-) My immediate goal is to drop 10lbs this spring getting ready for the races and another 10 before the MimiMan in Nov. This would have me super lean. Not even sure I can drop that much.

2007-01-02 1:07 PM
in reply to: #639400

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
DRM - 2007-01-02 1:51 PM

LOL!  Dude I'm so sorry!  Now we are at 8 total, too much going on today at work & wrapping up the swim challenge I guess...

Whew...glad to be back on the ship, cap'n...no worries, Don...I've got a feeling that the fun's only beginning...

2007-01-02 1:27 PM
in reply to: #639420

User image

Master
TitanIV - 2007-01-02 12:59 PM
I got started in tris from losing weight using the Body For Life program.

Back at the end of 2004, I hit 190 which was an all time high for me. I felt and looked so bad it made me sick to look in the mirror. I did Body for life for a year and it really helped me out. Moved weight all around. I got down to 160 at one point in 2005. Last year I hit 180 but it was in all different places (much more muscle mass) so I didn't feel anywhere near as bad as when I hit 190. Body for life rocks.

I'm now down to 175 or so and dropping fast due to training.
2007-01-02 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran
thanks for having me . leo is the name.

i start next monday.
per week.
2 swims,2 bikes, 2 runs.3 weights. every weekend off.{what does not kill us.....}

i actually jogged today for half an hour so the fitness was not as bad as i thought. sweated buckets n all that, but hey..........

Edited by thebullmccabe 2007-01-02 1:29 PM
2007-01-02 1:29 PM
in reply to: #639420

User image

Master
TitanIV - 2007-01-02 12:59 PM
I got started in tris from losing weight using the Body For Life program.

Back at the end of 2004, I hit 190 which was an all time high for me. I felt and looked so bad it made me sick to look in the mirror. I did Body for life for a year and it really helped me out. Moved weight all around. I got down to 160 at one point in 2005. Last year I hit 180 but it was in all different places (much more muscle mass) so I didn't feel anywhere near as bad as when I hit 190. Body for life rocks.

I'm now down to 175 or so and dropping fast due to training.

2007-01-02 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
I still follow the basic principles of BFL eating but eat more carbs than there plan for obvious reasons. Actually will start eating better today :-)
2007-01-02 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

Run Joe Run - I saw in your blog talking about learning HR Training and max HR. Here is a good link for some info on HR training. Basically you want to establish your Lactate Threshold (LT) for each sport and then use the zones from that value.  

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25734&posts=1&start=1

2007-01-02 2:06 PM
in reply to: #639510

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Hey Guys,

Here's a great way to become focused in training, the monthly challenges.  Jan is setting up to be a Swim & Run challenge.  Come aboard and join up.  Usually the teams are set by regions with 4-6 US teams, A canadian team and sometimes a ROW (rest of world) team.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=62789&start=1

2007-01-02 9:49 PM
in reply to: #639440

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
LHablas - 2007-01-02 1:07 PM
DRM - 2007-01-02 1:51 PM

Whew...glad to be back on the ship, cap'n...no worries, Don...I've got a feeling that the fun's only beginning...

Glad you're bathed and back Lou.

2007-01-02 9:52 PM
in reply to: #639553

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
I joined in for the SE team Swim10hours/Run 15 Hours (or so).

2007-01-02 10:03 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
TitanIV - 2007-01-02 1:40 PM

Run Joe Run - I saw in your blog talking about learning HR Training and max HR. Here is a good link for some info on HR training. Basically you want to establish your Lactate Threshold (LT) for each sport and then use the zones from that value.  

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25734&posts=1&start=1

Thanks "T" (sorry - been watching season six of the Sopranos).  

I clicked on the link and was sent to the "upgrade your membership" page.  I'm bronze??

I'm debating on doing a self LT test or paying to have it done by pros.  Found a thread by Mike Ricci: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&start=1)  

Any input? 

2007-01-02 10:04 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

woops - double post

But, I think your link and mine may be the same one just the first and second pages.

Edited by run joe run 2007-01-02 10:06 PM
2007-01-03 8:10 AM
in reply to: #640145

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
The link you had was the same Mike Ricci article I was telling you about. I haven't tried a LT test from a lab. The LT test by running 30 mins works well for me. I was actually quite surprised the first time to see my Zone 2 went from 151-160. Previously I had been trying to do my zone 2 running at 145 and could barely keep the HR that low. Then I knew why. That is why it is important to find what your individual numbers are.
2007-01-03 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
i am way out of my dept here. count me out of this group guys,but is it ok if i still tune in?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DRM's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 15