Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-12-23 10:23 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: Writebrained's Group - Full

NAME: John

STORY: I am a police officer (SVU unit) and an avid skiier (snow). I injuried my back a few years ago and started to swim for rehab. Since I already raced in 5Ks and biked, after learning to swim a little, I thought to myself, "Why not tri?" I quickly found out - - I love triathlon! The people in this sport are the best! I'm a clydesdale and use triathlon to keep my weight in check and my heart healthy. I do some freelance writing and I often write for Beginner Triathlete (see articles).

FAMILY STATUS: Married with three kids. Adoptive parent. One special needs child with Down Syndrome.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am still struggling with the back injury a little but think I have it in check for now. Sprint triathlons are my speciality although this year, I'm focusing on a few international distance races.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: I did about 6 sprint distance triathlons and 1 international distance triathlon (Chicago).

MISC: I use Total Immersion Technique for swimming, ride a Javelin bike, I train about 10-12 hours a week, running is my strength, in swimming and biking -- I'm average, currently I am learning to do a little Yoga (totally unlike me but it helps), I love BT and welcome newbies with open arms! Welcome aboard!

Edited by Writebrained 2007-01-03 7:50 AM

(1stTri!.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1stTri!.jpg (41KB - 51 downloads)

2006-12-28 3:38 PM
in reply to: #632480

User image

Veteran
Stormville, NY
Subject: ---
I'd join if I could, but I can't

Edited by MKraus64 2006-12-29 10:58 AM
2006-12-28 5:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Incline Village, NV
Subject: RE: Writebrained's Group - OPEN
Hi John! I'd like to join your group if possible.

Name: Kendra

Story: My friend wants to lose 75 lbs. and do the Donner Lake Sprint Triathlon in July. I told her I would do it with her to support her efforts. When I looked at the Sprint distance, it looks like something that if I really wanted to, I could do tomorrow (although not in any way gracefully), so I want to challenge myself to do the International distance.

Family Status: Single, but attempting to balance 2 jobs, family, friends, and skiing

Current Training: None...yet. I do an isometric fitness class 2x a week and try to run or get on a bike whenever I can (which ends up being next to never).

Misc: Right now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to balance training for a triathlon with everything else in my life. I do Bar Method 2x a week, ski Saturdays and Sundays and work full-time. I did a Sprint in 2003 with little training, but am starting to realize that if I want to do the International, I won't be able to get away with that.
2006-12-29 11:09 AM

User image

Hi John,

My name is Mario but go by Mar's (nick name the wife gave me).  I'm 35 yrs old and have been happily married for 9 years.  I have 5 children that are 12 stepson, 8 yr old son, 5 yr old daughter, 3 yr old daughter and 19 month son.  I guess you can say I've been busy the last 9 years. 

Excercise Background:
Not much.  I always give the excuse that I don't have time.  I coach my son's in baseball which keeps me busy.  I occassionally do core workouts utilizing a ball and weights.  I do that to build my back muscles because I tend to hurt strain my lower back at least twice a year.

Latest Accomplishment:
I just got my bachelors degree.  I guess you could say I was on the 15 yr degree plan
It was a long battle but felt good to finally get it.  My next goal is to get in shape.

Current Goals and Situation:
I am 5'7 and weigh 190 lbs so I guess you can say I am overweight by about 25lbs.  I always feel tired and whenever I start excercising I do good for about 10 lbs of weightloss and then I give up and gain it all back.  I have a very low self esteem when it comes to my physical appearance and to be honest I am totally embarass when I am at the pool with my wife and kids.  I feel enough is enough and time to do something about it.

My goal is to lose weight and get fit.  I want to change my lifestyle and start eating right.  I just started to cut back on cafeine, soda, and high fat foods.  In two weeks I've lost 2 lbs which is a start.  I don't believe in quick hit diets and won't try it.  I want to lose weight the right way.  I have not started out my excericing yet because my lower back has been really bothering me.  My oldest and I really had an intense 1x1 basketball game and although I barely won, I hurt my back in the process.  Today 12/29 I plan to walk at the track and do core workouts using the medicine ball.

I'd like to aim for a Sprint Triathlon in April and see where that takes me.  If I get the Tri-bug I plan to do more.  I'd like to join your group and hopefully receive some encouragement, coaching, and support to  make this happen.  I'm tired of failing in this part of my life and at the end of the day,  I want to be a fit dad and a fit husband.

Thanks,
Mars 

2006-12-29 5:33 PM

User image

Regular
Dubln, Ohio
Hello John, I would like to join your group.

Married almost 14 years with 3 kids. Starting in October 2005 I started exercising again after being a slug for too long. My big accomplishment for this past training and completing a century bike ride within my goal time and feeling like a killed myself. Was very dedicated to the training program I established for myself. I also did three other organized rides of 30, 45 and 63 miles before doing the 100 miles. This last year I also participated in 3 5ks and an 8k. After the century I got the crazy idea of doing tris. Since that time I have read some books and started training program to prepare for next season. I have a 3 to 4 year goal to complete an Ironman Distance Event. This first year is a for leaning.

2007 Goals: Complete 2 International Distance events and if I do my training correct run a marathon in October.
2006-12-29 10:07 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

Kendra, Mars, and Pappadj!  Okay.  WE got a great start to our group and to 2007!  Your cheerleader and "mentor" is excited and ready to roll into the new year!  Can't wait!

Welcome to BT you three!  WE got room for 2 more out there!  I'm gonna cap this at 5 so I can give time and energy to this group.  I plan to keep in regular contact with you'all so - - "let's get ready to rumble!"

2006-12-30 8:32 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

(2007.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
2007.jpg (14KB - 51 downloads)
2006-12-30 10:44 PM

User image

Regular
Dubln, Ohio
Just a little more now that I have some time. I have 2007 planned. For the past couple of months I have been taking it easy with my workouts. Incorporated some strength training and started swimming again and 2 weeks ago added a third day of easy running. In mid January I'll be starting the 20 week olympic program. Nutrition and stretching are two things I need to work on after I evaluated last season. Nutrition it is striking the balance of fat loss and feeling strong and stretching it is being consistent.

2007 Plan
February and March: participate in a series of 4 local indoor tris: 10m s 20m b 15m r; I view this as practice for the outdoor season. Already committed.

April: 8k local run

May: Tour de Cure ADA fundraiser; 60K bike ride and a local 10k

June: (1) sprint and (1) olympic

July: (1) olympic

August: (1) sprint and (1) olympic

October: marathon? I have until late March to make this decision. At times I wonder if I am attempting to much.

November / December: Rest, strength training and start planning for HIM in 2008.
2007-01-02 10:58 AM

User image

Hi John and hi everyone,
I’m Paolo, 35 y.o. from Italy and I’d like to join the crew!

Don’t have much time now, soon I’ll introduce myself properly….

SHORTLY: I do run, bike and just started swimming…. but no triathlon yet!!! I really wanna start!!!

Am I in ??

2007-01-02 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

Fast&Furious:

You R in!!!!! 

2007-01-02 10:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Spokane, Washington
Hi {stands and waves hand}, I'm Senja, and I'm a triathlete.

Oops, wrong group.

Story: So really, I'm 27 years old and did two sprint distrance tri's last summer. then being a complete dunce, I let my training fall off big time. I'm about 80 pounds overweight. I work at a desk job helping people with their computer problems, and managing user accounts and software. In my spare time I train (and will be doing more of that, I promise) am a co-leader of a 4-H group, and try to be a good example for my youngest sister, who is now the scariest creature on the planet, a teenager.

Current training: I've been trying to get short rides in on my new trainer at least a couple of times a week, and I swim at the Y on a semi-regular basis. I am about to retry the couch to 5k program, and hoping not to have a return of the shin spints that plagued me all last spring.

Family: I have a cat, Loki, a dog, Sasha, and a very old horse, Idya.

Goal: I want to do several more sprint distance Tri's and one or 2 Olympic Distance this year. FOr me though, I think that the biggest thing is running. I'm passable in the other two (and believe me, I get passed all the time )but I still can't manage the running part.

Edited by SenjaO 2007-01-02 10:26 PM

2007-01-03 1:11 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland

Hi John, can I join in?

My story: My name is Lena, I'm 30 years old...I'm originally from Russia (my whole family is there), live in IL here in US.  I have about 35 lbs to lose, working on it currently and moving right along.  Happily married for 3.5 years, our baby boy Nikita turned 1 in December.  I have a financial business which keeps me busy, along with Nikita. I started doing triathlons a few years ago, last year I did 3 triathlons (sprints) and my very first Half-Marathon.  This year, my goals are to get to my coveted 145 lbs by the end of June, my planned races are 2 Half-Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlons and 3-4 shorter running races (5-10 K).  I have most of them planned out and will be back later to post actual schedule.  Registered for one event so far.

I would love to get your help on every aspect of training.  Glad to hear you use Total Immersion, will be very helpful in my swimming training (which I need to start LOL).

Not sure what else to add right now, be back later!

Lena

2007-01-03 3:46 AM
in reply to: #639431

User image

Happy to be part of the group, thanks!!

…Ok, now I that I have some more time….

STORY: well since I have memories I’ve always been running!!! I raced in track and field competitions from age 10 to 22 with good results, then I hit the road and tried few 10 and 15 Ks.
I also tried few jobs and among many others I’ve been an officer, too!!
I lived in S.Barbara (CA) for a year back in 1998 and almost 3 years in London (UK) (…and still my english is not that good, sorry!!! ;o)

LAST YEAR'S RACES:
I did a couple half marathon, 4/5 MTB races (..one of which a very big event here in central Europe counting more then 6000 competitors!!! ..I was 721st , big time!! )

CURREN TRAINING:
I’m currently following a sort of a “training table” I’ve arranged myself according with my working schedule (I’m a software developer, now!), but it’s really just a “first attempt”.
It includes a couple of time in the pool, which will probably increase to 3 times per week since swim is my weakness; a couple of runs and 2 times with the bike, a short session (an hour spinning lesson in a gym ) and a long one on Sunday (around 100 Ks).

2007 PLAN:
Feb 25 Half Marathon
Sept 09 MTB Marathon (the same competition as last year )
In between I’d like to try a couple of sprint tris and hopefully an Olympic
Whatever else I can manage!!!!

Ps. I might need you (John) to explain me a little bit more about how this all thing works and how we’ll work it together!! I'm very new to BT Thanks!!
…and.. sorry all if my english is not always good!!
2007-01-06 10:48 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: Writebrained's Group - Full

FULL

(thsplash_e0.gif)

Attachments
----------------
thsplash_e0.gif (36KB - 52 downloads)
2007-01-12 9:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Incline Village, NV
Question for everyone...

How long between triathlon's should I give myself to recover before doing another one? I signed up for a Sprints in June and July and would like to try an Int'l distance. But the one I want to do is the weekend after the July Sprint.

Any thoughts/advice/past experience?

Thanks!
~k
2007-01-12 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland

I'm not an expert by any means and have never done an oly, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I would say that you are fine.  The only thing I would keep in mind is treat the Sprint the weeekend before the olympic as a training Tri, don't push yourself too hard to avoid too much soreness.  Your time might be a bit slower, but you will be able to have a nice taper week for the following weekend's race, which counts more between the two, and you will perform better at the olympic.  Does that make sense?

2007-01-12 1:35 PM

User image

Hope I could be of any help!!!
I haven't done any Tris yet so..... I can only be supportive!!
anyway..... here's what I think:
  • ..as far as U enjoy them U should do both!!! (..that's what I would do!!! )

• We're all with U , keep us up to date!!!
    2007-01-12 1:42 PM

User image

Master
    Central, IL

If you stay consistent with your training the rest of the winter and spring....you'll be fine.  You might want to do either the sprint or the Intl. race "just for fun" so you don't put too much pressure on yourself. 

If you keep focused, no problem!  

2007-01-14 4:09 PM

User image

Regular
    Dubln, Ohio
    8 days before I start my program. Resting up this week. Looking forward to the challenge.
    2007-01-15 12:13 PM
    in reply to: #654188

User image

Veteran
    Spokane, Washington
    Sounds good, Which Program are you starting?
    2007-01-15 6:03 PM
    in reply to: #655052

User image

Regular
    Dubln, Ohio
    20 week run focus olympic.

2007-01-18 8:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Incline Village, NV
    Hi! I realized I never popped back in and thanked everyone for their advice. I've decided to do all 3 tris and am throwing in a marathon at the end of the season. Although it has already been agreed upon that we're running half and walking half of the marathon.

Happy (almost) Friday!
    2007-01-19 1:50 AM

User image

Hi,
    just wanna tell I’m going for a week holiday (Alps ), so next week I won’t be able to write any comments and (..unfortunately) log any training!! (…well… never say never..)
    U guys keep going, race season is closing up and we all wanna have lots of fun, don’t we??
  • .see U soon...
  • 2007-01-19 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran
    Spokane, Washington

Fast&Furious:

just wanna tell I’m going for a week holiday (Alps ), so next week I won’t be able to write any comments and (..unfortunately) log any training!!

As long as you're having a blast and doing something fun, having a holiday is definitely worth it!

pipscweek:

I've decided to do all 3 tris and am throwing in a marathon at the end of the season.

Good for you!  I'm still in the debating phase, I'm going to do at least a couple of sprints an Olympic, and maybe a half mary in October.  We'll see about the run tho, It frightens me!

2007-01-19 1:53 PM

User image

…don’t worry, U’ll do fine!!!

• .see U all when I'm back!!!

• byeeee!!!
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Writebrained's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 2