BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bellinghamspence's Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-24 2:43 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: Bellinghamspence's Group - Full

Name:  Bellinghamspence/Spencer

Story:  Retired Air Force, Now driving a city bus for a living.  So I do alot of sitting on the tuckus.  I got back into running to loose weight and to stop smoking.  After a couple of marathons, decided to give triathlons a tri to broaden my training regime.  The natural progression took place and I finished an IM and HIM last summer.    I look at triathlons and distance races for Health and Fitness, plus it's a challenge.  I'm turning the corner to 49 years young in January.   Not going to be a podium finisher or win my age group, but I still get fired up to go after personal records and personal best.

Family:  Married 18 years (wife is a big supporter but not an athlete-well she use to bowl) two dogs (one is my running buddy)

Current Training:  Right now setting a base of endurance for spring 50K race and just to maintain weight (loosing battle during the holidays)

2006:  Ironman Coeur d'Alene (afterwards said never again that distance) three weeks later did a Lake Stevens 70.3.   Seattle Marathon and the Mt Baker Hill Climb (think Alp d'Huez)

2007:  Registered for Ironman Canada (Glutton for punishment) Chuckanut Mountain 50K trail race,  Lake Stevens 70.3, plus a fall Marathon race.

Weight Loss:  I wish.  A constant battle.  I love food and red wine, wife likes to cook.   I'm trying to focus on the calories in and calories burned.

Edited by BellinghamSpence 2007-01-21 10:09 AM

2006-12-29 1:43 PM
in reply to: #632660

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: Bellinghamspence's Group - OPEN
2006-12-31 6:03 PM

User image

Spencer,

I am not quite sure how this Mentor Program thing works, but since I am getting ready to do my first marathon (Portland Oct. 7), I would appreciate having another person to turn to for tips. 

I am just going to be sticking to sprint tris this summer.  I have a training plan that I am still tweaking, but mainly I am setting my base and getting ready for the Issy Tri. 

My main goal is to finish the Portland Marathon and still be able to loop back and run with my dad to his finish.   

2007-01-01 10:51 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
My pleasure to assist you.  Portland 2004 was my second marathon ever and I learned alot.
2007-01-02 6:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois
Spencer,

I'd like to give a shot a joining your group since there are some other Northwesterners hanging out here. I only hesitate to join a group because I don't always have time for lengthy online participation. However, I will do my best.

I am David Cossey. I usually go by my middle name in person, which is Gene (Eugene, actually). But I tend to use David while Online... I think I have a secret need to confuse poeple. Anyway, I answer to both.

I am the Airport Operations Manager of the Southwest Oregon Regional Airport located in Coos County Oregon (North Bend). I alsow manage the IT department for the District that runs the airport. I've lived on the Oregon Coast for almost 20 years. Before that I grew up moving from place to place and never lived anywhere for more than 2 years. Most of those places included various locations in Arizona, California, and Texas.

I'm 37 years old, I've been married for 18 years, and I have a son who is 15 and a daughter who is 12.

I've wanted to do a triathlon since the first one I watched on tv back in the late '80s. My son, who has recently gotten involved in running and swimming and who as always loved biking wants to do one with me. So, with great anticipation, we have decided to sign up and do our first triatlon together this comming summer. I'm actually kinda jealous of him and wish that I had of been encouraged to do such things when I was his age!

Because over the last few years I've not exercised as much as I should and haven't watched what I eat to closely, I have about 40 lbs to lose. This is good news on two fronts (don't tell anyone that I'm an optimist). First, if I increase my activity and just watch what I eat even a little, I usually have no problem losing weight. Second, when I drop 40 lbs, swimming, biking, and running will all be sooooo much easier!

Okay, so my first Triathlon will be the Pacific Crest Tri in Sun River Oregon, (Olympic version) . I've been told that this is a rather difficult tri for a newbie, but wouldn't any tri be difficult for a first timer? Assuming all goes well, I'm going to do a sprint that is up in the Portland area in September. And, just so no one says I'm not the type to jump feet first into the deep end of the pool, I'm going to the Circle the Bay Race (Coos Bay) in August and the Prefontaine Memorial 10k in September. I figure, what the hey, I'm spending all this time getting in shape I might as well have some fun!

Okay... well, hopefully there is still room in your group and I didn't just type all this for nothing... LOL I geuss I should have waited for a "Yes" first.... I really don't like being so d*&med optimistic!!

2007-01-03 9:28 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
It's never to late to start.  Sounds like you have some good races to go for.  Glad to give you any help that I can.

2007-01-03 2:41 PM
in reply to: #640423

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois
Actually, I've had mixed reactions from people... some say, "Great! You can do it!" and others have said, "Wow, aren't you a little old for that!"

Well, obviously, I don't think I am too old to do it... :D

2007-01-05 3:29 PM

Spence-

Just moved to Bellingham last June. Have always wanted to tri. An old friend came up the second weekend I was in BHam and did the Padden tri. I knew that i could finally enter training with a specific goal.

I am 34, a pastor and husband of 14 years. I am currently run/walking Padden once a week w/ my 4 legged running partner A few years ago I swam quite a bit for exercise but basically i am making things up as i go along. i just borrowed a mtn bike from a friend and don't have a place to swim (budget is small til i prove that i am into this). My wife is being supportive as she is busy w/ a new job and fulltime schooling.

I would like to join your group since you are local. I am 5'10 and 200 lbs. Not really worried about weight as it is pretty solid but need tips and a plan. Help?
2007-01-05 4:04 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Welcome SaintPaul, and welcome to Bellingham.  Shhhhhhh don't tell anyone about Bellingham,  let them know it rains here every day.
2007-01-09 7:22 PM

User image

Grafton, WI

Edited by trYgrl 2007-01-09 7:45 PM
2007-01-09 11:59 PM

Spencer:
I turned 32 last year and I used to play rugby during university. I graduated and gradually got away from any kind of exercise... to the point that I gained weight -quite a bit-. I've never been a fit guy, and grew up with the mindset that I was not able to complete any athletic challenge... I wasn't that kind of guy.
Last year was the end of the rope, my wife and I are wanting to have kids. I weighed 248 lbs. and knew that if I was going to continue on this path I wouldn't be able to celebrate my 50th Anniversary -we just had our 1st- or see our kids get married.
So last June I decided to challenge myself and found a triathlon race on the TV. I started walking for 30 min 4 times/week, biking once/week and swimming 200m/week.
Now, I'm at 194 lbs, run 5k 2 times/week, bike 8k 3 times/week and swim 1k/week. I'm really excited because I can see that I can do this... my first triathlon will be this July... never done one before, but you have to start somewhere.
If there is still room in your group I would like to join.

2007-01-13 5:07 PM

Veteran
Las Vegas

Name: pilotncommand172/ Jeff

Story:
Currently serving in the United States Air Force. I caught the 2005 ironman world championships. Having seen that told myself i could do that. being  on the swim team in high school and i have always love riding my bike. went out and google triathlon and soon register for a sprint and got a bike for christmas.  I did two sprint tris this last year. I guess the reason i joining this group is because in my line of work being fit is a must and the more people i have to tell me to get out and run is more the better

Family: Close to both of my parents only child and no significant other right now

Current Training: Don't know if i going to get any races in this year. due to where i going to be stationed but right now i focusing on my running and being able to have some energy left in the tank after the swim and bike 

Weight Loss: don't need to lose weight so much as to firm up my upper body i been doing alot to try and get rid of the love handles.

2007-01-15 11:22 PM

User image

Victoria
I am having a hard time getting going this year, so I think or hope that this group will help me out, I am in the Northwest, Vancouver Island to be specific. Did IMC last year and enjoyed he experience,this year I am looking to do the Lake Stevens Half Ironman, running is my strenth and cycling is my weakness and well swimming is just swimming. I can train almost anyday of the week as I am an early riser. I keep fairly fit year round but put on a few extra pounds over the holidays. I hope that some one will kick me in the to get me going as I am hoping for a PB as I have entered a new age group this year, 45-49. Damn that seems old but I dont feel it, well maybe sometimes but not often.

Anyone out there willing to help just drop me a line

Bill
2007-01-17 8:50 PM

Subject: ---
Hi My name is Diana,
I was wondering if your group is open? I am semi new to triathlons and would love to find a mentor. I am from Arlington so just down the road. I have been married 12 years and am a mom of 3. I am very busy with kids sports but love to have a goal my self. I finished my first tri sprint last summer and would like to do 3 this year. I really need some guidance in setting a training plan. About a year ago I reached a very big goal of loosing 100 pounds now I would like to continue on that track of loosing about 25 more. I very much stick to and accomplish my goals. I would really appreciate any advice you have towards tris. Thanks Diana
2007-01-20 9:59 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Welcome Diana.  I'll try my best to assist you.

2007-01-20 11:35 AM

Hi! Is your group still open? I would love to join if I may!
Brief personal history, my name is Kaci. I am 28 years old. I live in Tacoma, born and raised in Bremerton. I work as a full time EMT in Bremerton, and I am also a full time student in the paramedic program at TCC, which is one of the best experiences of my life.
Last year at work, one of our paramedics saw me running every shift, and suggested I do a sprint triathlon with him. So we trained together every shift (which is every 3rd day), and I trained on my off days also, and I did my first sprint tri at Seafair last summer. What an amazing thing it was, I loved it!
So this year my goals are much loftier. There are some roadblocks to my training, because between full time work, full time school, clinicals for school, and field ride time, my free time is virtually nonexistent. I still plan to work it in, because it's important to me. This summer I'd like to do at least 3 sprint tri's and hopefully an olympic by the end of the summer.
I think it's cool you are willing to mentor, and I hope there's still room for me!

2007-01-21 10:10 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: Bellinghamspence's Group - Full
Sure thing Kaci, glad to help out.
2007-01-22 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois
Spence,

You asked me in the training log if I used a Heart Rate Monitor. I thought it might be a good idea to respond in the group so that everyone could get involved in this conversation, if they so desired.

I do not use one, but I have been entertaining the idea of getting one. I've been reading a lot about the concept of training within certian heart rate zones, and it seems like a great way to go about building ones endurance as effieciently as possible.

I have not yet been able to determine my maximum heart rate and I know that the general formulas for figuring your heart rate aren't that accurate. With that in mind, I'm not sure how beneficial a HRM would be based on my best guess of what zone to be in.

So, anyway, what are your thoughts? You said you have one. Do you see any benefit to using it? Have you accurately gotten your maximum heart rate? If not, what method are you using to determine your training zone?

2007-02-12 11:42 PM

back in the saddle since being sick. I took my first ride today in years! Feels real good. ABout 7 miles is all but it is just nice to do something different than run. Wanted to check in on everybody else in the group. I talk to Spence but nobody else and the conversations inspire me.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bellinghamspence's Group - Full Rss Feed