of 4

2007-01-22 9:50 AM
in reply to: #632936

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: wsm9363's group - Full

Happy Monday all!
I hope everyone had a great weekend, and that everyone is starting to feel better from their colds/flu stuff.

It looks like pretty much everyone has stepped up into the training mode.  Some of you are walking/jogging and others are running.

I have seen goals from pretty much everyone.  Does anyone have any specific goals for this week?  Often we set a goal of doing something 2-3-8 months from now, but don't set any short term goals to help us reach that goal.  If your goal is to complete a Tri in August, or even April, what steps should you be taking now to get there? 

If you want to beat a time from last year, what are you doing today to make that a reality?

I'll give you an example.  Last year my first Tri ever was Tri for Joe.  I trained for it from Janaury to May.  When I ran it I completed it in 1:55 and some seconds.  This year I want to run that same Tri and take some time off.  So I want to beat last year's time.  I want to take time off the swim, T1, bike, T2 and run.  Now today I am not ready to post what I want to take off for each of those, but I need to start thinking about what I need to do to better each area.

For example - I have a pool membership and am swimming 2-3 times a week.  So the increased swimming should reflect in my swim time dropping.  Last year I struggled in the swim, but with the extra training I will see my time drop.

In T1 last year I didn't have a Tri top, so I fought with my biking jersey.  This year I have a tri-top and will have Tri shorts as well.  So I should see my time improve.

My biking leg last year went really well.  I have a new Tri-bike but is that enough to improve my time?  No, what steps should I be taking today to do that... Training harder but in what way? 

T2 - I have different shoes, and Yanks... is that enough to improve that time?

Run - Last year I was whacked, I had only run 2 5Ks prior to my race, and in both I had walked some/a lot.  I struggled with the run mentally, and phyically.  I know I have run a LOT more, but can I take off 4 minutes or can I drop my time 7-8 minutes.  What else can I do to improve this area?  Speedwork, training, fitness level, hydration, mental training.

My steps today are to continue swimming 2-3 times a week, follow the BT training plan.  Bike between 1-3 times a week, use the Spinnervual videos once a week.  Running continue the half Marathon training, and plan to run several 5K's prior to then.  I also want to envision myself running strong, and relaxed at the end.  Mentally prepare for the race.

I hope this gives each of you some ideas to work with and toward.  Post any ideas or goals here, and also on your blogs.

2007-01-22 9:22 PM
in reply to: #663133

User image

Regular
River Falls
My big goal this week is to keep steady! The semester started in full swing this week, which means my time is in big demand! I barely have time to breathe some days, but I did do a good job today - I ate lunch (including a salad) which was a good step, and I snacked on a banana before my classes. I made it to the gym in time for my ride (barely). One big change I made this semester was moving my office hours to the afternoons on Tuesday - that means I can go do my big workout right after I drop the girls off for school. It's much easier for me to go into the office late and stay there, than go into the office and try to leave in time for my workout. Wednesday is my busiest day, so I took that day off completely since I'm on campus from 9-8 that day. I can't really work out early in the morning because my DH is working, and I can't leave the girls alone. Given those changes in my schedule, I'm hoping I'm getting myself a route for success!
2007-01-23 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Jen,
That is a great goal. 
One thing to think about, is this a measurable goal or is this a "feeling" goal?

A measurable goal is one that you know you if it was done or not.  Workout for 120 minutes this week - that is a measurable goal.  Workout 3 times this week, run 5 miles, swim, bike.... these are all things that you can tell I did it.

When you say something like "keep steady" what does that mean?  I understand what you want to do, but can you measure your success?  Is there a way to do this and yet "feel" like you failed?  I am not sure if I am making my point clear.

I want to be able to help cheer your accomplishments, and avoid failures.  I have told people, I will not play "your game" because it is a no win game for me.  I might win, but even in winning I lose.  If I do what you can not is it because I am better than you?  Or does it give you "permission" to give up or quit?  If I can not do it, does it re-inforce it is a hopeless situation? 

I say all that, because many times we set up a goal for ourselves in such a manner that we can not beat the goal.  So when we fail, we beat ourselves.  But we should not have played that game.  I could play golf with Tiger Woods, and the only way I MIGHT win, is if he gave me 40 strokes and he played blindfolded.  But would that make any sense to HIM to play me then?

I hope that makes sense, but I am not sure it does.

I just saw this as well.

And the goals should be SMART.
- Specific
- Measurable
- Attainable
- Relevant
- Trackable

Edited by wsm9363 2007-01-23 3:48 PM
2007-01-26 8:44 AM
in reply to: #664540

User image

Regular
River Falls
Yes, that makes perfect sense! Had I answered this at the beginning of the week, I would have said "not miss any of my training, eat all meals, don't miss any salads." Well, things didn't quite work out that way, but I'm not really upset. I did miss quite a bit of training this week, but it wasn't because of work, which is the reason I usually miss doing workouts! It was because of life circumstances (sick kid, birthday party upcoming) which can't be controlled and are short lived. My real focus is on balancing work and working out and life. So, not missing workouts on a consistent basis becuase of work. If I look at it that way, I did a great job this week! Meals were only so/so, but I didn't have a "pig out" session which I usually do if I don't eat well. Tried to think about correct choices. So, I have a very busy weekend (family birthday party for the girls and an 8-10 hour Tae Kwon Do test)but I'm determined to fit my training in around that stuff. I just have to be smart and creative

Jen
2007-01-26 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
Good morning or afternoon depending on where you maybe,
I have a swim training question for the group. In my swim workout today which is listed below, I am noticing that while my sets were pretty even time wise, I just could not push them to get any faster. There was a noticeable effort difference between the easy and hard lengths, but I had a hard time getting the build lengths to feel much different than the easy ones unless I really pushed it in which case it felt like the hard ones, so I feel I have the overall endurance to keep the sub 2' 100's up for a long distance, but do not have the power to get the speed up over said distance, as in the build laps. Any comments, suggestions, etc?
WU:
400 continuous, last 50 of every 100 kick only
MS:
8x100 EBEH (25 easy, 25 build, 25 easy, 25 hard) w 1' minute recovery which got me to maybe 70% recovery
1 - 1:49
2 - 1:50
3 - 1:51
4 - 1:51
5 - 1:52
6 - 1:51
7 - 1:52
8 - 1:53
CD:
6x25 with each being slower than the last, these averaged 30" each
Thanks,
Devin
2007-01-26 11:36 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Devon,
When it comes to swimming, I am a fish out of water.... well mostly.  I have a couple of ideas, but nothing really concret.

When you did an easy lap, were you pushing harder than you should have?  When I look at the lap times being basically the same.... 1-2 seconds is not a large gap.  So my best guess would be you were pushing too hard on the easy, therefore when you did both the Build and the Hard, the change was very small.

Another idea is that you are changing your form some where between the easy and the others.  When you push harder, if you have dropped your legs, or have done something to alter your form it would explain why you would not have reduced the time for the lap.  Your best bet would be to ask your wife, or someone at the pool to video tape your workout.  Then watch that workout to see what you are doing. 

I know that is not much help.  Sorry the swimming is my bug-a-boo, I am looking forward to getting better.

2007-01-29 12:09 AM
in reply to: #668999

User image

Regular
River Falls
Hey everyone - I'm going to be revamping my goals this week - want to start them on the first - mainly nutrition goals, I think, but I have to sit down and think about what's attainable before I just fly off with some grand ideas like I'm prone to! I will have them up no later than Wednesday, but probably sometime Tuesday.
2007-01-29 8:28 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Everyone,
Check out the challenge me area, they will have some kind of "team" challenge for February.  You pledge so many miles, minutes or Kilometers and then just post the actual to your blog.

I have made some great friends through the challenges, so let me encourage you to check it out.

2007-01-29 1:01 PM
in reply to: #671038

User image

Regular
River Falls
Sounds like a fun plan!
2007-01-29 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
Hello all,
I had a great week last week with my workout and found a new plan and I have migrated the first 10m weeks of my new HIM plan which includes the following:
6 weeks base
4 weeks build 1 phase
The idea behind this plan is made up of 7 key workouts and use the periodization model.
High intensity (HI) swim, bike, and run - Mainly intervals
Endurance swim, bike, and run - Mainly long sessions at a steady pace
One brick - Alternating between HIM pace and endurance pace.
There are also 2 more workouts not considered key which are a swim and run.
A big problem I am having is that I am having problems coming up with longer swim sessions for non key workout. I have come up with sessions that get to about 2000 yards, but then I get stuck, as I do not want to add more intervals, so I am leaning toward more mid range endurance sets such as 2, 3, and 4x 100-300yds.

Any ideas would be great, so please send them my way. I have first workouts tomorrow which are a HI swim and bike. Thanks for letting me babble on.
2007-01-30 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Devin,
Have you thought about doing some ladders?  You could do a 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 400, 300, 200, 100 or even go in 200, 400, 600, 800, 600, 400, 200.  That would give you 2500 in the first and 3200 in the second.  I am sure there are several other variations you could do with that.

Edited by wsm9363 2007-02-02 3:24 PM

2007-02-02 1:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont

Schedule is complete. Here it is:

2/4/2007 - City of Lakes Loppet 35K freestyle/skate ski race

3/18/2007 - Human Race 8K

4/28/2007 - Get In Gear 10K

6/3/2007 - Buffalo Olympic Triathlon

6/9/2007 - Liberty 1/2 Ironman

7/7/2007 - Timberman Olympic - Registration opens 2/24

7/29/2007 - Chisago Lakes HIM - Waiting on this one until April/May

8/19/2007 - St. Paul Triathlon Olympic - Same as above

9/9/2007 - Square lake HIM - Same as above

Devin 

2007-02-02 8:50 PM
in reply to: #677205

User image

Regular
River Falls
Holy Buckets dude! You are ambitious! Sorry I've been absent for the week, things have been so crazy at work, while I've made room for exercise, I forgot to make room for posting on BT . I am spending tomorrow morning working on the girls' birthday party, but the afternoon is slated for some schedule and goal setting work. I'll have some stuff posted by Sunday at the latest. BTW, I signed up for the February Bike/Run challenge - I'm looking forward to it! I'm really glad I've been able to stick with at least most of my workouts - I've really only missed one run/walk and one strength training.
2007-02-03 9:09 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

Jen,
Good for you, that will give you some extra help to get out and excersize, as well as others who will check your blogs to inspire you.  I'll have to see what team they put you on, I am on team Red (I think with my daughter.)

2007-02-06 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

So how is everyone doing?  Has the winter doldrums kicked in for anyone?  If you seem to be in a funk, here is a quick pick me up.

Set a couple of simple workout goals, like I will run 2 times in the next 5 days, or swim 2 times over the next week.  Whatever the goal make it pretty simple, then do it.  Don't worry about distance, or time, just get some workouts in.  Once you have that accomplished then you can start calculating time or distance.

My personal goals for February are 125 miles of biking, 60 miles of running and to swim at least 2 times per week.  Last month I set a PR for yards swam at 25K for the month.  This month I am on target to hit about the same. 

2007-02-06 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont

I am doing fine on the winter blues/duldrums parts. Had a nice attempt at my ski race, but dropped due to bad nutrition and dehydration based on my camelback freezing, oh well.

I am excited about this week and had a great ride and swim today which is a good start.

2007-02-06 2:51 PM
in reply to: #681401

User image

Regular
River Falls
I'm doing well on the winter blues as well - being so busy is what's driving me insane! I have had so many things try to interfere, but I've been doing remarkably well considering (new semester, kids birthday parties, all that stuff!). My goals for Feb are 74 miles on the bike and 7.5 hours running (walking). I did 5 miles on the bike today, and hope to possibly get in a walk as well. Unfortunatley, I am going to have to axe the 5K I had planned in a couple of weeks. My husband has the opportunity to go to a NASM weekend workshop, and since he is taking that test at the end of April, we decided it was too good an opportunity for him to pass up.
2007-02-07 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Longmont

I posted this in my other mentor group, so I thought I might post here as well.

Fair warning that this is going to be log winded!

If you are not ready for the LT test, I would say use the method although it is very inaccurate of 220 minus your age in years. Now to set your zones use the following percentages of your MHR. I have attached an excel spreadheet that will help determine basic zones once you input some basic data.

• Zone 1 60% of MHR (recovery/fat burning)
  • Zone 2 70% of MHR (Develop oxygen transportation systems)
  • Zone 3 80% of MHR (Improve lactic acid threshold)
  • Zone 4 85% of MHR (Lactic thresehold)
  • Zone 5 90% of MHR (sprints and anaerobic training)

For reference my cycling HR zones for are:

Recovery <125
Endurance 125-156
Overdistance 157-170
T/LT 171-180
V02 181-186

For running they are:

Recovery <141
Endurance 141-150
Overdistance 151-157
T/LT 158-164
V02 165-168

I know it is VERY hard to train in your zones for first couple of weeks and maybe even months due to you feeling like I should be able to run faster/harder, etc. Please realize that these zones will help your body get stronger faster and with less injury if give them the chance.

For example, I can physically run 9 MM for 2-3 miles if I want to, but this puts me well into Z3 which is not where I want to be for endurance training which is Z2 and an average speed of 10-10:30 MM. If I trained at this level (Z3 and above) on all my runs, I would get faster, but would not be able to hold he speed for any distance due to no endurance training. The opposite is also true for speed work, you need to stress your heart for short intervals into Z3/Z4 to get faster and develop better recovery.

Each zone has a specific purpose and I detail this out in my workouts, so I know what I am doing and why. An example is today's run was an high intensity run, which was designed to get my HR into Z3/Z4 and promote recovery and speed by using hill repeats or intervals. I also have endurance ride, swims, and runs where the purpose is to stay in Z2 for the duration of the workout. Feel free to take a look at my logs to see how I use purpose in each workout.

let me know if you have any questions,

Devin

Attachments
----------------
hrmzones.xls (15KB - 47 downloads)
2007-02-07 11:04 AM
in reply to: #682576

User image

Regular
River Falls
What is the LT test?
2007-02-07 11:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
Lactate Threshold. The point at which your body can no longer process lactic acid into energy.
2007-02-07 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

LT = Lactic Threshold the point at which your body produces more lactic acid than you can pull it away from the muscles.  You produce lactic acid when you workout, the amount will depend on how hard you work out.

Here is a article that might help you understand it a little more.

http://home.hia.no/~stephens/lacthres.htm

2007-02-07 12:27 PM
in reply to: #682790

User image

Regular
River Falls
So the LT test is something we'd probably have to get done professionally it looks like - right?
2007-02-07 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont

Jen, 

Yes, look up a sports medicine practice and they will either be able to one or point you in the right direction. I warn you that these are not pretty or fun, but they will get you accurate numbers to train by. I have one done each year, but in 06, I did not. You can also do a field test by running or cycling on a treadmill/trainer in the following manner:

Wearing a HRM, WU very well with a few high effort sprints to get the blood flowing and  then run/cycle as hard as you can for 30 minutes and at 10 minutes into the test hit the lap button on your HRM and take the average HR for the last 20 minutes. This will be roughly your LT.

Devin 

2007-02-07 3:10 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

Let me add.   Don't go out too fast in the 30 minutes, you want to keep the same pace pretty much throughout the LT, but when you finish you should feel like you couldn't go an extra step.

When I did my first running LT, I went out way too hard in the first 10 minutes, and the last 20 was pretty much a waist of time.  The next time I did it, I actually did a 5 mile race, and I felt like I was pretty right on for the LT.

There are several threads dealing with LT and LT testing here on BT. 

2007-02-07 4:30 PM
in reply to: #683157

User image

Regular
River Falls
Thanks guys - I appreciate the help!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » wsm9363's group - Full Rss Feed  

of 4