Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2006-12-25 7:09 PM

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: wsm9363's group - Full

NAME: wsm9363 / Scott

STORY: Late in 2005 I got an email from my brother (McFuzz) telling me he was signed up to do a HIM.  I had wanted to do a Tri for years.  I was then 42 and weighing 208 pounds.  I decided I needed to do something, so I started training in January 2006.  I train today to help keep in shape, and for the fun of the races.  I have found that without a goal, I will not run and swim "Just for the fun of it."

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 18 years, 4 kids ages 11, 9, 6, and 16 months.  I work 45-50 hours a week with a 1.5 hour commute (round trip)

CURRENT TRAINING: I am training for a half Marathon in April, possibly a 2nd in early May.  I am also training for several Sprints and an Oly I am not sure how many Tris I am going to do in 2007, some where between 4 and 6.  I am considering doing a Marathon in 2007, but I have not convinced myself on that score quite yet.  I generally train using a HRM, I am still working on my zones.  When possible I include my children in my training plans.  I own a tandem bike which my older children will ride with me, I also have run while they bike along.  It forces them to slow down, but I can still talk with them while I run.  Lastly at the pool, I will race my kids, I generally race them at 100 yards while I swim 150.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: I ran my first 5K in April of 2006, I finished in 34:00 minutes.  My last 5K I finished in 26:31.  I ran the Air Force half marathon in Sept, I finished in 2:21.  I ran 6 Sprints in 2006 I finished most in BOP (Back of the Pack), the final race I finished MOP.  My main weakness has been running, although I am not that fast of a swimmer.  I am working on the swimming while also continuing to improve my running speed.

2007 RACES:  My goals are to do a 1/2 marathon in under 2:00 hours.  To continue to get faster running, and swimming.  While I would like to improve and get an AG spot in some race, I know I can not (will not) train enough to do that.  Additional goals are to show my kids how to enjoy running and biking, and set a healthy example.  I am looking at the races in my area, and trying to determine which races I want to complete.  I see at least 4 Tris over the season, possibly another 2 depending on my schedule and budget.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have lost about 25 pounds since my first training, I have added back since October about 6-7 pounds.  My goal is to drop an additional 20 pounds over this coming season.

Edited by wsm9363 2007-01-09 3:19 PM

2006-12-29 1:44 PM
in reply to: #632936

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: wsm9363's group - open
2007-01-02 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Happy New Year all!

Edited by wsm9363 2007-01-06 2:41 PM
2007-01-06 2:43 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

What is your motivation?  Why do you want to Tri?

2007-01-06 4:12 PM

Hi Scott,

Your group doesnt look too busy? so can i join.

NAME: Hugh MacDiarmid

STORY: Have thought of doing a triathlon for years but never got round to doing anything about it. Dont own a bike and don't do any kind of endurance training. (yes, i know it will be a major challange)

FAMILY STATUS: Long term girlfriend and son (8).

CURRENT TRAINING: Not that much, play indoor and outdoor soccer. trying to get to the gym 3 times a week.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: I came first in a race for the bus a couple of times. This would be my first race of any kind

2007 RACES: The first sprint triathlon in Calgary is June 3rd, i've no idea if thats too soon

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm about 215, but i'm also 6 foot 8, so weightloss is not that important to me.

I guess i'm looking for very basic help, how often i should train, should a swim a certain amount a week, should i follow a programme or just increase what i'm doing slowely every week, diet, preperation, You'll have your work cut out for you if you take me on.

i should also add that i'm vegatarian and i'm 26
2007-01-06 7:30 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

Hugh,

Welcome to the group.

Not owning a bike will not hurt you in most ways, but it will hamper the training you can do for the bike.  Unless you have a friend, neighbor that will let you use one.

June is not too soon, it will give you enough time to do some training.  The soccer running will help in the running department.

If you check through the training plans you will see some basic free plans.  I followed the free plan for the first part of my training last year.  It was the Sprint basic, where you train in each sport 2 times a week.  I didn't start swimming until 2 months prior to my race.  I would have liked to have done better, but I didn't have pool access.

Not sure how old you are, 20's 30's or older.  That can have some impact on training, but not a lot.

2007-01-06 9:17 PM

New user

Aurora, IL
NAME: Redav72 / Phil

STORY: I'm a true clydsdale, played offensive line in highschool and college. After college I bounced around a few different sports until doing a sprint Tri in August of 05. I was hooked, I liked the variety of triathlons and loved the fact that I could compete again.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 kids (9 months and 18 months) I've got a blog that I rarely update at hproductions.com. My wife is understanding about my hobby but limits me to 5 races a year, so I have to choose wisely.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm not currently training at all but plan to start running this week and in Feburary I'm going to join a masters swim class. Once it warms up I'll begin riding my bike to work, it's about 20 miles and 95% of it is on bike trails.

GOAL: My goal for 2007 is to finish the Chicago Tri in under 3 hours. (I did it this year in 3:32, so shaving a full half hour from my time is quite an aggressive goal.)

LAST YEAR'S RACES:
Batavia (Sprint), Evergreen Lake (Olympic), Springfield Tri (Sprint), Naperville (Sprint), Chicago (Olympic)

2007 RACES: This list is still tentative as I've only actually put money down on the last race.
Batavia (Sprint), Lake Michigan - Kenosha (Olympic), Iron Abe (Olympic), Naperville (Sprint), Chicago (Olympic)

WEIGHTLOSS: I weigh 305 right now and would ideally like to be 265 by the end of August for the Chicago triathlon. I've been as heavy as 325 and as an adult I've been as low as 285, I think that dropping 40 pounds will do a lot for my times.
2007-01-06 10:48 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

Phil,

Welcome to my group.

I can understand about limiting yourself to a few races, or being limited.  And having young children can make working out and balancing family time very tough.

Cutting 30 minutes off your time is a very agressive goal.  I am sure you can do that.  What areas are you looking at shaving time?  All areas or mainly one? 

Weightloss - I am sure that once you start back on the workout plan you will see the weight drop.  Chance are that getting back to 265 would help you mainly in the running.  What is your Body Fat?  That is most likely the area to focus on.  Weight is a pretty hard and arbitrary thing.  BF% of 10-15% is pretty normal once you hit your 30's.

2007-01-07 9:15 AM
in reply to: #645117

New user

Aurora, IL
I'm looking at dropping time in all three disciplines, but my biggest area of focus will be swimming. I did the swim at in 50 minutes. I've never taken swim lessons before so I know my technique is costing me in both time and energy. Our local park-district offers a masters swim class and I'm hoping that after I learn better technique I'll be able to get my swim time down to 40 minutes.
Previously in 2006 I did my first Olympic length tri, I used an old early 80's bike with broken bottom bracket. I finished that one in 3:30 with a bike time of 1:27. The day before Chicago I got it into my head that I needed a new bike, so I went down to the local bike shop and they had a great road bike just my size in stock. I'd been doing my races with a hear-rate monitor, usually trying to keep in the vicinity of 174. In Chicago on this new unbelievably fast bike I let myself slip up to 185, it felt great to pass people and I was having the most fun I'd ever had on a bike. The first lap was great but by the second I was really starting to feel my legs. I finished the bike in 1:16 and started off on my run, but after the first mile I had to start the walk-jog routine. So after a respectable swim and a good bike I turned in my slowest run time at 1:24. Earlier in the year at Evergreen Lake I had finished the run in 1:04 only walking the water stations, so I knew that if I had paced myself a little on the bike I would have done much better in Chicago.
This year with better preparation I'd like to finish the swim in 40 minutes, the bike in 1:10, and run in 1 hour, this still gives me 10 minutes for transition and flexibility on the run.
As far a weight goes I'm in the vicinity of 23% body fat, so I've got 30 or 40 pounds that should come off. In high school I ran a 6:30 mile weighing 265 and I'd really like to get back to that level
The Chicago race is really cool for Clydesdale's, they have both age and weight divisions so there is a really great opportunity to take home a medal. This will also be my first year in the competitive 30-39 age group and last years winner of the 250+ class finished just under 3 hours. So if I can meet my goals I've even got a shot at taking my division. My secondary goal is to place as a Clydesdale in any other race this is a little less likely as there are a lot of very fast 200lb guys out there, but I've got a decent shot as I should be pretty competitive on everything except the run.
2007-01-07 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

I don't have a lot of answers for the swim part, yet.  I just purchased the TI DVD and Drill cards (Total Immersion- a swim instruction).  I figure my swim times are 2:10-2:20 per 100.

As I have seen others say, no one wins the race in the swimming, but plenty of people lose it there.

There are some pretty good plans here on BT, you might check into them.  I am thinking about doing my first Oly distance this year, so I will be training for that later in the spring/summer.

2007-01-08 7:22 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Phil and Hugh,
You should go a head and start listing you goals in the short term goal and long term goal sections of your log.  Think about what it is you want to do, and what it will take to get there.  Generally I have several short term goals related to my Tri training.

One might be to select a plan from the various plans here on BT, unless you have something you are already working with on your own.  Related to that you might also have a goal of completed at least 75% of your planned workouts (or 100%).  Remember part of what you want to do is set yourself up to achive some/most of your early goals.  That will help encourage you into some of the more challenging goals.

2007-01-08 3:18 PM

User image

New user

Hi Scott,

I'd like you join your group. I've looked at some of the others, and was drawn to this one because everyone here seems serious and focused. Looks like I might be the only girl, but after reading your profile I feel confident that you are the mentor for me. I'm looking for someone who can help with specific training and nutrition tips, and you seem to know what you're doing.

NAME: honeychile/kristen

STORY: I've been training for various sporting events on and off my whole life. I was swimmer in my youth, a soccer player in high school, and have settled into hiking a yoga after a serious injury to my left ankle. I suffered a horrible break and now have two titanium plates and nine screws keeping me together. My leg 100% healed, but in the 1.5 years immediately following my surgery I had gained almost 40 pounds, most of the strength in my lower body was gone, and lost much of my flexibility. I started training again in earnest 2 years ago, and am looking to take it to the next level. I'm 5'9" and have a very strong muscular frame...underneath some curves...and athleticism comes naturally to me. I need to have a goal in my sights as a reason to stay motivated. Proving to myself that I can complete the training, and show up and finish on race day, will be a huge accomplishment.

FAMILY STATUS: Live in boyfriend and two cats. My boyfriend is supportive in every way possible and I know he will be a great asset to me during the training process...so long as I can get him to keep the sweets out of the house...or at least hidden from me! He's the type who likes dessert after every dinner.

CURRENT TRAINING: Hiking/speed walking 3 miles a day. I've been using Budokon and Cardio Dance DVD's to supplement for inclement weather and during the time where I was between gym memberships. I've recently joined my local YMCA, so I'll have access to all the facilities I will need for my training though weather permitting I enjoy training outdoors. I’m going to start off with biking and running, and a swim of the weekends to get used to being in the water again. I’m concerned already about breathing deeply without inhaling water, so I plan to take an adult freestyle course.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: None.

2007 RACES: My goal for this year is to complete a sprint in September. I'd like to show up on race day and finish strong. I'm looking to get through this first one, giving 100% to the process, and then improve from there.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'd lost 50 pounds since I began training 2 years ago, but after living with my boyfriend for the last year I've put 15 back on. I'm looking to lose that 15 plus another 40 over the next year, and keep it off for the rest of my life.
2007-01-08 3:57 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

Kristen,
Welcome to my mentor group.

As I indicated to Phil and Hugh, go ahead a post your goals in your short term goals area.  Check through the BT plans and see if you can find one that fits your schedule and free time.

You say you want to do a Tri by Sept, I think you can be ready earlier.  You can be ready by June if you want to get ready that soon.  Now I don't know that you will win your AG, but you can finish a race with a smile on your face by then.

I know because I went from no training to racing between Jan 1 and May 21 last year.  Now I didn't finish as high I would have liked, but I finishing standing and smiling.

2007-01-09 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: wsm9363's group - open 2 Spots left

I see that you are beginning your training and workouts.  How are you feeling during those workouts?  If it has been a while since you have run, start out easy.  When I started running in January last year it took me quite a while before I was ready to run.  I walked and jogged for a month before I was able to run a mile non-stop.

Also when you stretch, make a point of walking or jogging for 10-15 minutes prior to stretching.  One of the articles I picked up here on BT talked about how you can hurt yourself by trying to stretch cold muscles.

2007-01-09 10:15 AM
in reply to: #647589

New user

Aurora, IL
Well I'm definitely a little sore today. I'm going to build a good base before i start a training plan. To get up to speed I plan on running twice a week for one to two miles at a go, in a couple weeks I'll start visiting the pool. I've looked over the plans and think I'll do the 4 month 2x blanced starting April 1st, so that gives me 3 months to put together a solid base, at the end of my base-building I expect to be able to run 5k in around 30 minutes. I looked for the goals section in the training log but couldn't find it. Do you need to buy a membership to access that portion of the site?

Thanks, Phil Howard
2007-01-09 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Phil,

When you log into your training blog, click on the window with the flower/gear looking thing on it.  That will allow you to add people to your friends list, as well as add goals in your short/long term goals areas.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

2007-01-09 1:11 PM

User image

Regular
River Falls
Any room left?

NAME: Jennifer Rivera

STORY: My husband is a personal trainer and has mainly done running, but is getting into triathlons as well. I went to 3 triathlons last summer and got to meet Natasha Badmann at a small triathlon in Minnesota - that's when the bug bit me, and it got worse when I watched the Hawaii Ironman in December. After that, my husband and I both signed up for some triathlons this summer (they were half price before Jan 1!).

FAMILY STATUS: Husband (almost 9 years) and soon-to-be 8 year old twin daughters (who are also doing triathlons this summer!)

CURRENT TRAINING: started with the weightloss routine, but went to the 22 weeker. Have some problems with a left hip flexor and right knee. Had heel problems (PF) before I lost 20 pounds 2 years ago, but 15 of that has crept back on and heel has bugged me last couple of weeks. Also do Taekwondo 2-3 times a week. Very comfortable swimming, can't run until I lose more weight (knee), but don't care if I walk/jog these tris, need to build confidence on the bike in the road. A challenge for Buffalo, because lets face it. I'm in Wisconsin! I won't be "on the road" with the bike until April at the earliest!!!

LAST YEAR'S RACES: I walk/jogged a 5K here in town - came in 2nd out of 4 in my age group.

2007 RACES: Buffalo MN, June 3, Chisago Lake, July 29, Square Lake Sept. 9. All Sprints.

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to lose about 45 pounds.

I am mainly looking for confirmation of my program, and motivation. The community is what really helps me.

I too am a vegetarian, and 41 years old
2007-01-09 2:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
Scott,
If you have an opening, I would like to join your mentoring group. I will use your template, as the others have for my bio.

NAME: co_tri_guy/Devin

STORY: IN 2004 I went to Hawaii during the week of IM and fell in love with the idea of a triathlon. I had a coach through 2005 and did well in the spring I signed up for. My family moved to MN from CO this spring, so 06 was a wash for me.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 8 years, 2 kids ages 6, and 4. I work 40-45 hours a week with a 10 minute commute.

CURRENT TRAINING: I train with a HRM Polar 720. My main focus this last year has been sanity via bicycling which is my strong sport. I can run fairly well when in shape and I learned I liked swimming in 2004 when I started training for the sprint. My biggest challenge is the weight loss that I need to do, as I put on 20-30 pds with the move.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: I did not do any races in 06 expect for some long bike rides on my own.

2007 RACES: My goals are to do another sprint and then move up to an Olympic and maybe a 1/2. I would like throw in some bike races/rides and running races.

WEIGHTLOSS: At the risk of TMI, the last time I weighed myself, I was ~180LBS and 5'8, so a bit heavy. The good thing is that I have a set of lungs to move all this mass. I was down in the 150-160 range in 05 when training for the sprint. The move and new job with the lack of focused training caused my weight gain.

Thanks and I hope I made the cutoff.
2007-01-09 3:32 PM

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: wsm9363's group - Full

Devon and Jennifer welcome to my mentor group.

You folks fill it up.

Let me encourage you to sit down think about the upcoming weeks.  What is it you want to accomplish in this time?  What goals do you need/want help with?

Add each other to your friends list.  You can do that by going under your window with the flower/gear thing and typing in each name.  Feel free to check my log, and know I will be checking yours.

I will leave inspires for you, and answer the questions that I can answer.  Feel free to inspire each other as well. 

Please remember - I am not a coach, I am a fellow triathlete that is willing to share some of my exerinces and hopefully help you in training for your 2007 year.  I freely admit, I know very little about swimming, a little more about running (Ex-track and XC) and quite a bit more about biking.

Also please remember each of you is at a different point in training, and over all fitness.  Do not be discoraged if you see someone do something that you can not.  And please do not push yourself too hard to where you injure yourself.  Tri-ing is a lot of fun, and when it becomes work you need to be paid for it (As in become a PRO.)  If you are not good enough to go pro, make it a LOT of fun!

Scott

2007-01-10 9:05 AM
in reply to: #648212

User image

Veteran
Longmont
Hello fellow members,
I wanted to reply to the question of what we want from this group and what our goals are. Right now I am waiting for my membership here to become active, so I can start reviewing plans for this spring, but it also leads to some questions about laying out my race and training schedule.

I am looking at the following races and trying to pick one for my HIM race and am looking for advice on the training required for a HIM. In addition to the HIM I pick I am also looking at doing 1-3 sprints and 1 Olympic this summer and I would figure on working these race in after I pick my 1/2 or is this the wrong way to do this?

Here are the races and the weeks to each based on starting my training next Monday 1/15/07

Liberty 1/2 - 6/09
22 weeks
http://www.libertytri.com/home.html

High Cliff 1/2 - 6/24
24 weeks
http://www.midwestsportsevents.com/events.php?EventID=2

Chisago Lakes - 7/29/07
29 weeks
http://www.midwestsportsevents.com/events.php?EventID=4

Pigman 1/2 - 8/19
32 weeks
http://www.pigmantri.com/

Square Lake 1/2
35 weeks
http://www.vacationsports.com/squarelaketri.html

Thanks,
Devin

2007-01-10 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Devon,
From what I have been able to read, working shorter races into your training plans should not be a major problem.  I know that several people use Sprints and Olys as part of the training for longer races.  I would just try to make sure the races don't fall on the recovery weeks, or the final 2 weeks prior to your HIM

Last year my brother (McFuzz) did a HIM.  Now I would not recomend the doing what he did.  He choose the Gold HIM plan, but then didn't follow it 100%.... I really don't know how closely he did follow it.

I would think if you pick on of the plans it should allow you to complete the race.  Time wise I do not have any idea how long it will take to train for a HIM.  I would think it would require more than either a sprint or an OLY, but only because it is so much longer. 

2007-01-10 12:12 PM
in reply to: #648908

User image

Regular
River Falls
I'll see you at Chisago Lake and Square Lake! I've registered for the sprint at Square Lake already, and plan to register for the sprint at Chisago. My husband is doing the HIM at CHisago as well. I'm also registered for Buffalo's sprint, so I guess those three are my goals.

Jennifer
2007-01-11 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
All,
Please do no take this the wrong way, but through my tri club I found a mentor on this board and feel it is more beneficial to have my mentor local. I would like to stay part of this group as a lurker and to provide support and inspiration to you all, but I am going to make my primary mentor group the one located here. I will keep all as my friends on my blog.
Thanks and good luck,
Devin
2007-01-11 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Devon,
That is fine, I will still check up with you over then next few months.  It does make sense to have someone you can talk with in the area.  They should be able to address issues and needs that I can not address because of the nature of this site.

2007-01-11 11:49 AM
in reply to: #650752

User image

Regular
River Falls
Devin - Keep in touch - let me know what races you plan on doing in the area!

Jennifer
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » wsm9363's group - Full Rss Feed  

of 4