Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-01-15 12:58 PM
in reply to: #655127

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: RE: UTTRIMAN's Group - FULL

kcguy - 2007-01-15 11:51 AM I also forgot to ask. How soon is too soon to do another race? There is a tri that I would like to participate in at the beginning of July after my first race the beginning of June. d

Fair Question!

A lot of that will depend on the difficulty and distance of the race.  For example, for the average marathoner, they say you should rest post race for about 26 days, meaning reduced efforts.

Last year, on the other hand, I did 3 sprint distance races in 3 weeks, and did relatively well.  But I don't think I'd do that again.  But a race in June and a race in July, shouldn't be a big issue.

Be careful not to overload yourself.  I almost did that last season with 11 races.  I'll probably only do 5 or 6 this year.  Especially, since I want to do more Olympic distance events.

2007-01-16 9:33 PM
in reply to: #655148

User image

Veteran
Roeland Park
UTTriman - 2007-01-15 12:58 PM

But a race in June and a race in July, shouldn't be a big issue. Be careful not to overload yourself.  I almost did that last season with 11 races.  I'll probably only do 5 or 6 this year.  Especially, since I want to do more Olympic distance events.

Well, if I do multiples this year, they will all most likely be sprints. There is about one every month over the summer. I may have to look into those.

Thanks for the advice on the paddles, I may need to ask her about that.
2007-01-17 11:00 AM
in reply to: #633210

User image

New user

Salt Lake City, UT
Hey guys I found a website with some videos of good swimming technics I thought I would pass along. http://finisinc.blogspot.com/
I have never done the backstroke flipturn. I think I would like to learn how now that you can turn over before you flip. Although for the Triathlons, Im only swimming front crawl.

Anyway, How is everyone doing? I am encountering a few issues with shin splints. I am going to visit the running store and see if there are some inserts that will help. They seemed to first start since wearing new dress shoes I got for christmas... go figure. Anyway I will let you know what I find out. Brett is helping me believe I can do this. For some reason I keep doubting I will be able to finish or some other embarrasing thing will happen. I am entered in the aquathon (swim and run) on the 27th. And, although I think I am prepared, I just feel really nervous.

Good luck,
Ty
2007-01-17 7:49 PM
in reply to: #657732

New user
I have another swim question, on open water swims do most people submerge their face or do they swim with their head above water? My stomach hurts when I think about submerging my face and possibly swallowing some of the water and god knows what else. Maybe I am overreacting, but this issue stays in the back of my mind.

2007-01-18 4:02 PM
in reply to: #658660

New user
MN
Hope everyone is doing OK!

Ty-- hope your shins get better. I've had problems when I've worn new shoes before. Hopefully, the inserts will help.

I feel like I'm making progress . . . except for the swimming. I'm a little annoyed at myself. Actually, a lot. I had to send back my swimsuit I ordered online because it didn't fit; I should have known better than to order a suit online. So, I've yet to get in the pool, but I've found a few options for lessons, so I"m set up as far as that is concerned. Went to Target to find a suit, but they didn't really have anything that looked good for actually "swimming." Go figure . . . Grrrr..

So, am going to go to a sporting good store tomorrow, and hopefully they will have something! If I don't find anything there, I've decided I'm just going to swim in the suit I have, just to do a little bit. It's completely not meant for swimming laps, but I don't care at this point!! It's not going to be a good situation anyhow, so that will be the least of my problems...
2007-01-18 4:16 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Hi Gang! Glad to see everyone is getting back at it.  Looked like we'd all fallen off the end of the earth there for a couple of days when you figure in little things like ice storms, sickness, etc, etc, etc.

Joyjoy, yes most people swim the open water as they would in a lap pool.  Seems gross, but isn't bad.  USAT races require that the water meet local "cleanliness" standards.  That doesn't mean it has to be "drinkable" though.  One way to help avoid "drinking the lake, or the pool for that matter, is to breath out while the face is in the water.  That way, you are pushing the water out.  You should end up drinking very little of it that way.  Will you still get a mouthful here and there - most likely, but it's manageable.  But remember -- in the US there are no illegal strokes, so if you wanted to do the whole thing backstroke, you could!  

It's really not as bad as it seems.

KrisMarie.  bummer about the suit not fitting.  Happens sometimes.  I know you're in the Minneapolis area but if I recall correctly you're out a ways from the metro.   If you can get to a swim or tri specific shop in the cities, you'll have no problem finding the suit you want.  I'll see if I can find one or two and send the addresses/phone numbers to you in a PM.  Suggestion, get polyester as opposed to lycra.  The fit is very very similar, but a poly suit will last MUCH longer than lycra.

Don't let the pool scare ya!  They have lifeguards there !   haha

Seriously, just get in there and have fun!

Everyone else -- keep up the good work, and yes TY, you are going to do AWESOME at the Aquathon.  You've got a good shot at HARDWARE!  Wouldn't that be great!  Nothing like a little hardware to make someone's day!

Keep it up gang,  YOU ROCK!

Edited by UTTriman 2007-01-18 4:18 PM

2007-01-21 2:05 PM

Just wanted to wish everyone a great week - I'll be thinking of you all as I head off for my training sessions.
2007-01-26 9:12 AM

Master
Hey guys! Just wanted to apoligize for being MIA. My home PC has a virus or something and I've been traveling between office locations for work all week, so I've been unable to log my training like ususal. I should have the computer fixed this weeked...but I just wanted to give a shout out to let you know I'm still here and working hard.

I did have a question about swimming. How deep is the water at most tri events? Just curious.

Hava a great weekend!
2007-01-26 12:49 PM
in reply to: #668769

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

hamiltks10 - 2007-01-26 8:12 AM Hey guys! Just wanted to apoligize for being MIA. My home PC has a virus or something and I've been traveling between office locations for work all week, so I've been unable to log my training like ususal. I should have the computer fixed this weeked...but I just wanted to give a shout out to let you know I'm still here and working hard. I did have a question about swimming. How deep is the water at most tri events? Just curious. Hava a great weekend!

FORGIVEN!

Glad to hear you're still at it!  That's great!

Water Depth -- now there's a nebulus question.  A lot will depend if it's in a pool or open water, and then the venue itself.

I've swum races in lakes that average 10-20 feet deep, as well as in venues where the water is significantly deeper.   One venue I was considering recently noted portions of the swim in water 400 feet deep!   This is ONLY a guess, but I would guess that most events are probably in the 20-100 foot range, mainly because of their "general" proximity to the shore line.

January is coming to a close, how are you doing in your individual goals??  Are you making progress, are you "inspiring" each other.  What can we do as a team to help you all along?

Lot's of things happening with Teammates this weekend!  

1.  KCGUY is going to run a 5K race in a Cave -- and beat his last year time (my guess by about 3 minutes)!

2. TYUTAHMAN is scheduled to participate in the LEGACY AQUATHON!  He'll do awesome and will likely place is my prediction (assuming he's feeling better -- He's been a bit under the weather this week)

3. UTTRIMAN is scheduled to play Race Director at the LEGACY AQUATHON!  He's now not only a Triathlete, but a Race Director.  Pretty excited about this new phase of my Triathlon Career!   There won't be any need to shave down before the swim  for him (many triathletes do), because he won't have any hair left from pulling it all out getting things organized!

KrisMarie actually got into the pool,  Hamitks10 won some hockey games and caught all kinds of computer viruses, Nezza has done great with his biking, joyjoy is getting better from being sick.   All in all - you're a great team!

Let's send all kinds of GOOD LUCK Vibes to Tyutahman and KCguy for their events this weekend.

I'll get some new pointers put together and post them next week.

Have a GREAT WEEKEND ALL!!!

2007-01-26 2:50 PM

New user
MN
Hey all,

Hope everyone is doing well. I know I'm looking forward to the weekend. Going to see a MN Wild game tonight (that's our hockey team up here), so should be fun!

My training has been going OK, but I'm looking forward to starting my swimming lessons (they start next Saturday and go for seven weeks). I think I will really feel like I'm actually training for a triathlon once I start those. I talked to my instructor today on the phone, and she seems like someone I will really be comfortable with, so I'm happy about that. The one thing that I wanted to do this month that I really haven't yet is start looking for a bike. I guess it's not huge priority, but I need to get on that.

Danny and Ty, I will be thinking of you this weekend and wishing you luck on your races! Brett, congrats on being race director; that's neat that you'll get to cheer on one of our teammates in person!

Have a good one, everyone!

Kristin
2007-01-27 3:17 PM

User image

New user

Salt Lake City, UT
Subject: AQUATHON

YAHOO!
I did it. I finished it. I really wondered if I was gonna do it but I did it. I was hacking pretty bad all night long, but I thought of all you guys and decided at had to at least try. AND, I finished 3rd in my category... Amazing. Brett did a wonderful Job he looked very busy, but he took time out to chat with me, which was really nice. He is very positive online and even more supportive in person. I think everyone in our group should go to one of his events. He totally Rocks!

So here is the breakdown of my activities. The Swim portion was harder than I expected. I didnt realize that breathing is so important in swimming. With the bad cough I swam the entire time with my head out of the water. And, I passed one guy and one guy passed me so I guess I did ok. The transition was the best part. I could catch my breath and just sit a second or 2. The run was not nearly as bad as I thought. I didnt have much air but I was able to get through it. Running on the indoor track was pretty fun. And the monitor Brett had placed at the end of each lap with your count and time was really cool. I finished and spent the next 45mins breathing slowly, my cough is still really bad and deep, but I dont care. I feel great now. I just wish I wasnt so sick. I was behind 1st place by about 6 minutes, 2nd by 3 minutes and only 1 minute ahead of 4th. I even beat a 5th place person.

I definately want to do another one. It really is fun. Everyone there was really supportive. It is a great atmosphere of people and positive energy. You can really feel your body and you feel so good about your accomplishment. I have been wearing my bronze medal all day.

GO EVERYONE! We CAN do this. and Thanks again Brett.

~TY

2007-01-27 10:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Roeland Park
WAY TO GO, TY! You are an amazing person to have finished the race, placed AND doing all this with a cold! You are truly inspiring!

Yeah Kris you got in the pool!!! I'm so excited for you! It does really make you feel like a triathlete once you get your feet wet!

Brett, I am so happy that you are able to bring your knowledge of the sport to another level and help others achieve their goals and enjoy their races!

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragment! I don't think I could really have been doing all of this without your support! I will be thinking about you all as I race tomorrow

2007-01-28 10:45 AM

New user
Ty - Congrats on yourt first event. I am so impressed and proud, you made me so very excited about my own first event in March.

kcguy - Good luck at your event, I know you will ROCK!!

I hope everyone has a fantastic week, mine should be better now that my knee has healed. I still hate the pool at my gym :-)

Edited by joyjoy 2007-01-28 10:46 AM
2007-01-28 11:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Roeland Park

Drum roll please.............................................................................28:26!!

I BEAT LAST YEAR BY 5 MINUTES!!

I'd forgotten how much my shins hate running outside. Running in the cave is sooo much fun! Not to mention how funny it is watching the huge herd of 'people' groundhogs!

Had a bit of cramping near the end but pushed through for a nice little sprint for that last 1/2 mile.

I had a big smile on my face thinking about you guys as I was running! Thanks for your words of encouragement. I should get the official results and time later this week to see how ranking goes.
2007-01-28 6:28 PM

New user
MN
Woohoo! Huge congratulations Danny and Ty! You guys both did awesome!!

Ty, not sure I would have been able to push myself like you did having a cold -- and to place on top of it -- that's great! And Danny, five minutes off your time is amazing!

And congrats to Brett on your debut as race director -- sounds like it went well!

Thanks all for giving me inspiration to start the week!
2007-01-29 1:03 PM

Master
Awesome job guys. I'm very impressed and glad to hear that you both exceeded your goals and had a great time. Nice work!

2007-01-29 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

CONGRATULATIONS  TY AND KCGUY!

Ty had an awesome race!  You could tell he hadn't been feeling well, but he hunkered down and put in a GREAT performance.  I watched him come out of the pool, get changed and headed off to the run, and then saw him run by several times!  He DID AWESOME!  I don't know if I could have done as well as he did, given the cold he obviously had!    His wife ran the event as well, and she did great also!!  CONGRATS TO THE TY HOUSEHOLD!

KCGUY, wish I could have been there to cheer you on!  But to beat last year by a WHOPPING 5 minutes -- that's HUGE!  CONGRATULATIONS!

Everyone keep it up -- You're doing GREAT!

2007-02-03 6:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Roeland Park
HAPPY FEBRUARY EVERYONE!!

I hope everyone has some new goals for the new month. I've been taking the last week off because, frankly, I was tired! A good tired of course!

I'm think about incorporating some weight training. Hey Brett, forgive me if we've discussed this before, but how should triathletes incorporate weights into a training program?

I also want to open a discussion about proper nutrition while training AND during a race. I'm still not sure how all the water, GU, jellybeans, pasta, etc. should work for a budding triathlete. I'm sure most of us know the basics, but I would like other athletes views on how they handle their diets.

AND I am now officially in the market to buy a bike! Yeah! So, any of you in our team have some sage advice, I'd like some pointers if you have them.

Have fun everyone!!!

danny
2007-02-03 6:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Roeland Park
BTW....My offical time for the race is 28:31! I was off by 5 seconds.

d
2007-02-05 10:11 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Happy February TEAM!

Can you believe it?  February in on us already!  We've had a busy January.  How did everyone do in the goal accomplishment department?  Did you make it?  Time to report in.  A common thread the wound through the early stages of our team was that many of us talked about the need for accountability to help keep each other motivated.  

Here's my report. 

Swim yardage -- knocked it out of the water.  Did well, AND set a new PR for a 100 yard swim.  HUGE accomplishment for me.

Running.  Missed my goal here by about .6 miles.  And my pace improved significantle.

Strength -- well started a bit on that.  Need to work harder at it though.  Am doing at least 100 situps a day now.

Weight.  STUCK!  Got to get that coming off again. 

Have fun! -- YOU BET!

New goals are in the works.  I've not got myself registered for a race yet -- I'm slothful I know, but with the new race company, we're still finalizing some event dates.   When those are set, I'll know which races I can do.  I'll likely do the "course" on all of our events, because someone's got to test it out! 

One of my goals this month will be to get my strength training going better.  KCGUY talks about needing some strength training tips.  Not my strong suit, but you definately want to focus on your core.  That's where all the strength comes from.   Some upper body work will do well for swimming, and some leg work for running/biking.  -- SO basically work everywhere, but the focus should really be on your "core".   Focus on ENDURANCE work in the lifting.  Instead of heavier weights and low reps, do lighter weight and high reps.  For example, when I do bench press, I'll do 3 sets of 20 reps, changing the width of my hands on the bar for each set.  Wide, middle, and more narrow.  This will cause the exercise to work the entire muscle more thouroughly.

There is an EXCELLENT book out there that I highly recommend.  You can by it online from several sources, but the source I like is powertri.com.   The book is called "The Triathlete's Training Bible".  It is a EXCELLENT resource on periodization, training strategies, strength training, etc.   If you want a good general resource book for tri training, this is the book for you!

Now, everyone, report in on how you did on your goals this past month, and let us know what your goals for February are.   Time to kick your intensity up just a bit, the main season is getting closer!

You are ALL CHAMPIONS in my book -- Keep up the GREAT work!

2007-02-06 9:48 AM

Master
Overall....January was good! I hit a few goals and was just shy on a few others. Here is my report:

Swimming - Having absolutely no experience in swimming, I had to learn fast. My first goal was to purchase a swim suit, goggles and a swim cap. Goal accomplished! After getting my feet wet (literally), learning some basic techniques, and getting comfortable in the water, I set the goal of swimming for 150 meters without having to break. I accomplished this goal as well! I didn't have a goal for this, but I averaged about 500 meters per workout during January.

SWIM GOALS FOR FEBRUARY -
--Swim for 300 meters w/out breaking at an easy pace
--Swim for 150 meters at a hard/fast pace.
--Increase my average distance per workout to 1000+ meters

Running - I'm beginning to understand why everyone calls the treadmill a dreadmill. It is so hard for me to keep my mind OFF of my legs and lungs when the clock is right in front of my face! My goal for January was to build my endurance and be able to run for 20 minutes without breaking. I didn't get it done. I was able to run for 15 minutes non-stop and even felt pretty good...but wasn't able to get beyond that. Physically, I know I can do this easily. It's the mental part that is stopping me right now.

RUNNING GOALS FOR FEBRUARY -
-Increase my endurance so I'm able to run for 20 minutes non-stop
-Take my run outside 1x per week

Biking - I find it difficult to put together a training program for this portion of the race when working only on the stationary bike at the gym. And to top it off....some bikes allow you to choose a level between 1-20 and others only allow you to choose a level between 1-8 (but they are the same brand and style of bikes...it is very confusing). My goal for January was to increase the level from 12 to 15 on the hill program for 30 minutes. I didn't hit this goal. I jumped between level 12 and level 8 (depending on which bike I ended up on).

BIKING GOALS FOR FEBRUARY -
-Increase the level from 8 and 12 to 10 and 15 on the stationary bike.
-Get outside for a couple of rides (weather contingent)

Strength Training - I hadn't set any strength training goals for January because I wanted to focus on building endurance and slimming down/toning up. I've begun to incorporate strength training into my routine, and will set more specific goals once I have an idea of where I am.

STRENGTH TRAINING GOALS FOR FEBRUARY -
-Strength training 3x per week-Core training 3x per week.

I haven't registered yet for my races....mainly because I'm still recovering from overspending at Christmas time. I'm expecting a nice refund on my taxes and will regsiter for the events then.

Edited by hamiltks10 2007-02-06 9:51 AM

2007-02-07 9:23 AM

New user
MN
Hey all,

Yeah, I can't believe it is February already. Just after I changed my short term goals on my log, I looked at the calendar and realized there's only three weeks left in this month. Not a lot of time to work on them, but I'll see what I can do!

As for my January goals:

2) Enroll in some sort of swimming lesson, and start looking around for bikes (might not buy one this month, but would like to start looking at different options and decide how much I want to spend).

3) Use the bike at the gym twice a week (20 minutes).

4) Dust off the ol' swimsuit and just get in the water. 5) Don't drown.

Looking back at my goals for the month of Jan., I was probably too easy on myself, and I would like any or all of you to feel free to give me suggestions on my current and future month goals. I'm trying to increase my training, but I'm not sure I'm doing a good job at guaging how much is significant, or if I'm putting the focus on the right areas. Anyhow, I did meet my goals for January other than looking for a bike. I'm still thinking about this one. I have a bike that I could probably use, although it's nothing fancy and definitely not a racing bike . . .but, I'm worried that I will spend money on a bike and either not finish the triathlon, or do one and decide not to do any more. I could get a lower-end bike, but at that point, maybe I should just use the one I have, and then if I actually finish the tri and decide I like the sport enough to do more, I would invest in a good bike.

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome -- and here's to hoping we all meet our goals for Feb!

2007-02-07 10:30 AM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Great Job onyour goals work ladies!  You're Awesome!

General rule of thumb on training increase.  You should generally not increase distances, particularly in running, more than about 10% per week.  So if you swim 5000 yards this week, then next week, I wouldn't go more than about 5500.    Run 10 miles this week, probably not more than 11 miles next week.  You can take bigger jumps from time to time, but that should be the general rule.

Bikes -- Everyone needs one.  KrisMarie asks a good question, do I go buy one or make do with what I've got until you decide if you like the sport.   Well, my answer to that is only you can decide, although the fact that you are accomplishing goals, and are still "hanging around" tells me you are probably having fun!  I can pretty much guarantee you won't be a 1 race hero as it were! 

That being said, MANY MANY triathletes do their first races on a mountain bike or something similar.  Not a thing wrong with that.  There is a online bike shop, www.bikesdirect.com that has some decent entry level bikes for as little as about $300 bucks.  One friend of mine, who places in overalls or top of age group at virtually every race we've done together, rides a $350 bike he bought there.   Can you spend more on a bike -- absolutely.  There will be many paying 2500-5000 for their bikes.  I paid about 600 for my bike and it does everything I need it to.  Someday, I may get something a little nicer, but I'm very happy with what I have.

If you can get a road type bike, I'd recommend it.  But is it necessary, no.   Hope that helps with your quandry!   And you're not alone -- virtually every new triathlete, unless they were already a cyclist, goes through the same quandry!  Welcome to the club!!!

Have a great training week everyone!

2007-02-07 11:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Roeland Park
Good times...not enough month!

January's Goals

1. Run 3x a week: I think I got that one down pretty good. Little stiff in the beginning but managed to pull out 5K's everytime at the gym to reach 31:00 a run! Pulled out to get at least 9 miles a week

2. Run my 5K race at the end of the month: BOO YAH! Made a new PR 28:31! Beat LY by 5 minutes. Next year: run faster

3. Start swim lessons: A few hitches here and there with weather and scheduling, but my stroke has improved dramatically. Now to work on endurance.

4. Hopped on the stationary for a few frontwards/backwards bricks. That was the bonus for the month.

Overall, January was a bit of a light month.

In February, I am going to try to squeeze in a weight training workout and move into going to the gym twice a day (every other day of course). Still trying to find a bit of a groove with scheduled visits to the gym. Looks like it will be early morning and way late in the evening, but you've got to do what you've got to do. This month will be focused on swimming endurance as my lessons will be ending soon. I hope to maintain a nice base for my running and move up to 12 miles a week.

Good luck with this month team! I can't wait to see what happens now!
2007-02-08 4:41 AM

Did pretty well on my goals for January.

- choose and enter a sprint triathlon on or before 7 May (my 35th birthday) DONE 17/01/2007
- create a structured training plan DONE 1/02/2007
- find a pool near work I can use in my lunch hour, and use it DONE 8/01/207
- cycle to Tonbridge station at least twice per week (only once in first week of January due to holidays) not sure whether I did this or not. Probably did, on average.
- extend cycle leg distance to reach Hildenborough station (about 12km) DONE 9/01/2007

So, my structured training plan is as follows:-

Monday bike to/from Paddock Wood (4 km each way); swim (technique) at lunchtime 30 min + 10% each week
Tuesday bike to/from Tonbridge (~6.5km each way) moderate HR; run (high cadence/moderate HR) at lunchtime 30 min + 10% each week.
Wednesday bike to from Paddock Wood (active recovery ride)
Thursday bike to/from Tonbridge intervals on the hills; swim at lunchtime (technique) 30 min
Friday bike to/from Tonbridge (Hildenborough ~12km optional) spinning; optional run at lunchtime
Sat/Sun optional 1hr bike on one of these days spinning/moderate HR

I realise it's a bit light but my theory is a) start with what is do-able, b) build from there.

It's a total of between ~4 hrs and 6 1/2 hrs per week, depending on whether I do the optional sessions or not.

Need some help with specific goals though. I have no idea how fast I should improve based on this programme. All I know is that on 5th Jan my 5km run took 37 1/2 minutes trying to keep my HR down (ave 156) and on 6th Feb the exact same route took me 30 minutes with ave HR of 153 so 20% improvement in a month. Obviously I can't expect to keep that rate of progress up! Swim-wise, my first time in the pool I could manage 50 metres and then had to stop for a bit. Last week I did 1000 more-or-less non-stop (I did stop for a few seconds a few times but not because I needed to recover).
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » UTTRIMAN's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 5