BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ontherun's Group -Full, off and running :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-03-08 8:19 AM
in reply to: #633464

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member
Subject: RE: Ontherun's Group -Full, off and running :)
I woke up this morning and felt blah...gotta work...gotta do this, blah, blah, blah...then a thought came to my head. What am I going to do for a workout today? And I got a smile on my face. See...isn't excercise a good thing?

Hope everyone has a super day today!
Helen

2007-03-08 8:19 AM

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member
I woke up this morning and felt blah...gotta work...gotta do this, blah, blah, blah...then a thought came to my head. What am I going to do for a workout today? And I got a smile on my face. See...isn't excercise a good thing?

Hope everyone has a super day today!
Helen

2007-03-08 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I agree exercise is a great thing...it can change your whole outlook on things around you. I have been having good workout the past couple of weeks, but when I get on the scale it just tries to destory everything. I have lost 5 lbs, but my head just tells me it's water so what's the accomplishment...0, nada, nothing you know. I want to lose 10 lbs in 2.5 weeks and with all that I'm working out it shouldn't be a big deal, but you know what, I lost 48 lbs 2 years ago and I wasn't exercising, it came off so much easier. Ok, I'm ready for the humor in that. This 10 lbs just crept back on me and I "WANT IT OFF....LIKE NOW!" Can anyone tell I'm NOT happy this morning...I need an attitude adjustment, I'm just so mad at my body right now. Oh, yea I forgot to mention I go on a cruise to the Bahamas in 2.5 weeks...................can anyone say S W I M S U I T ..................YIKES.

Ok, I vented....ha

Have a great day everyone.

Amy
2007-03-08 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oh, and to answer the question what workout plan I'm on Breezy. I guess I'm not really on one I just have my daughter modify her college workout to the old people workout and go with it. I will start a training program in May with our local YMCA for sprint triathlon training, it will take us all the way up to the sprint tri I'm doing in August. I am really excited about that, I will be with other rookies and learn about swim strokes, transitions, proper running etc... I will sign up for the sprint tri at the first meeting............then I can't back out.

I am doing more running than anything because our hometown race is in June and I have never ran that, I want to run it in a 29 something if possible, at this point I don't see that happening, If I don't feel I can run it in a 29 something I will probably race walk it, I'm very good at that, can race walk it in 36. I really want to run it though, it's personal.

I will be checking on everyones logs this weekend, and keep checking on mine to keep me in line...
2007-03-08 9:59 AM

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member
Hey Amy....I feel your 'pain' when it comes to the scale. And I don't understand...we all work out...we are fit....yet we continue to 'beat ourselves up'??? I run 5 miles and then call myself out of shape for not doing it fast enough? Good grief. When I whine to myself like that...I make myself think about how lucky I am that I can do those things.

I keep trying to tell myself not to step on the scale...but then I'm scared if I don't that I will gain even more! Where is the happy medium???? I probably should enroll in body image classes...if there is such a thing!

Ok....time for breakfast

2007-03-08 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks Helen....you put a smile on my face. Let's both try harder to love ourselves just the way we are, I think it's ok to do that.

2007-03-08 3:25 PM

I know the feeling. I have been pretty out of control with the scale thing, but I have the same fear that if I don't keep myself in line I will stop working as hard.

Not that I am any role model in the body image area, but one thing that helps is to pick the one part of you that you really like (for example I love my legs but have a super flabby belly) and dress to show off that part.

My roommate has sick flat abs, but hates her legs.

Everyone has something about them. Identify what yours is and focus on it during these times of madness.

And I really doubt it is 5lbs of water weight. You ARE losing weight, and it takes time.
2007-03-08 3:35 PM

User image

Tiffin, Ohio
Weight is just a number. It is not a reflection of health or fitness. We all have this idea of what a perfect weight for us would be, but where did that number come from? For me it is the number from when I was the thinnest I ever was. Back in high school I dropped from a size 14 to a size 5 in less then 4 months. I was 118lbs at my lightest. Friends and family told me I was too skinny but I didn't believe them. I was finally happy with my body. But it was a weight I could not maintain (without adopting an eating disorder). Now, looking back at pictures of me then, I didn't look healthy and I was not fit.

Fastforward over 15 years of gaining and losing weight.

For the last 2 years I have worked out 6 days a week except in times of great stress (i.e. family emergencies). I am strong. I have endurance. I am lean. But I am also 134lbs. That is the same weight I was when I started working out, when I wanted to get back to 118. Now I know it isn't possible. Not because I don't eat right or workout enough but because I DO eat right and work out. I am muscular, not a lot but much more than when I was 118lbs. Muscle weighs more than fat.

Over the last 2 years I have dropped 16% of my body fat. I wear a size 6. It isn't the size 5 I wore at 118 but wouldn't have to drop 17lbs to get to a size 5. There is no correlation between my body now and my body then, when I decided what my ideal weight was. So, it is time to let go of that image and my idea of my perfect body weight. It is time to focus on my perfect body. That is a body that is healthy and fit and there is no number on any scale in the world that can tell me that.

Focus on nutrition and workouts and you will be healthy. Focus on the scale and you will be frustrated.
2007-03-08 5:47 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Ok, a few thoughts here. First off if you asked Angolina Jolie, and she was being honest, she would say she has issues with her body. With that in mind, look at what Anna Nicole Smith went through. As far as I can tell, she only saw herself in a mirror and could look no further.

With that in mind and on a lighter note (pun intended) lets look at our results. I too have been fighting the scales a lot latley. I am currently heavier than a year ago and almost double the volume of training. What I look at is how are my cloths fitting right now. I recently was able to go one more belt hole back twards the ones I added last year! Keep in mind, my lined winter jeans are bulkier than my summer ones, so I am looking forward to pulling them back out soon. Yes the scale is there. It is a great tool in taking a snap shot at how we are doing. The problem is, so many things can adjust it. First off and a major swing issue for me is water weight. Too much salt, and the weight jumps for 24 hours, only to drop just as fast. Anouther issue is we are building mussle mass. Mussle is more dense than fat, thus the weight may come off slower than a diet only plan. I agree, it is not as gratifying in the short run. On the up side, look at a flight of stairs. No longer do I say "where is the elevator?". Instead, I say "what only 5 floors, couldn't they live a few more flights up for the view?"  

I know a few things. I am at least 30 lbs heavier, and probably closer to 50 pounds heavier than when I got out of high school. I also know that in highschool as a freshman, I could hardly finish a 5k with the cross country track club. I also know that it took an entire gym class to finish a mile on the track. Yes I was that slow. I also know that I am running over 3 minutes per mile faster than when I started almost 4 years ago. I can keep up with my kids. I smile more than frown or pout. Sundays are for long training rides, time with the family and not for 8 hours of football, a dip and a pt of icecream. I know my wifes grandmother died a very slow death due to her poor physical health and an inablity to take corrective actions. I also know I will not let that happen to me.

Yes I would love to have six pack abs, and not a two pack in progress. I would love to be under 200 lbs. I would love to be able to run a sub 3 hour marrathon. In the mean time, I am content with who I am. If I were to hold this weight and fitness level until I retire, I will be very happy. It will take a lot of work, and I am ready. Until then, I try to find something each day that makes me smile and keep the thought. The last thing I try to realy loose any energy on is vanity. So for what it is worth, keep an eye on the scale, but remember it is only a small percentage of the rewards from training. It is hard to quantify the results right now. I will guarentee this. After your first tri, you will know why you did it! Just keep the goals, and dreams real. Shoot for the stars if you want, but know it took man millions of years to take that dream and get into the heavens. It will take us time to sculpt and train our bodys to do what we want on race day.

2007-03-08 5:48 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
As for a training plan, I think I am on the 20 week 1/2 IM bridge from oly plan, but not positive.
2007-03-08 5:58 PM

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member
how's this for water retention.....I can successfully gain 8 pounds over a couple of days if I eat too much salt. Not kidding. It's happened and it's painful!

OK...my training plan....or lack of, haha...was the 36 week ironman plan. It is too hard for me, so I'm just trying to build up a base so I can use the 20 wk beginner IM on this sight. I know I need to strength train since I lost most of my strength from my back injury a year ago...but it's just not easy motivating myself. Ugh. Pilates helps with pain management as well as the odd massage here & there.....but I know what I have to do. Plus a resting muscle cell burns more calories than a fat cell.....

But, all I can do is take it one day at a time. Today was a good day for the most part....the ice is melting today, finally and that makes most of us very happy around here!

Later dudes! I'm going back to work. Sigh.

2007-03-12 7:43 PM

User image

Tiffin, Ohio
Where's our week 2 run stats?
This challenge is really forcing me out there for those runs.
Although my mileage has been low the first two weeks, I think I am on track to make my 30 miles.
2007-03-12 9:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey Breezy, got it in, and then had to go to a meeting at the High School to sign my son up for Freshman year, so didn't log until 9:33 pm..............Going to bed now. I feel so old today.
I will check everyones logs out tomorrow....GOOD NITE.
2007-03-13 4:27 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

sorry, will get the results up tonight I hope. Been just a little nuts around here the last few days.

2007-03-13 5:23 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Screen name      March pledge      Week 1  Week 2       Total      

Amymutz            56                          6.2         16.1          22.3

Breezy                 30                         4.1         1.37            5.5

Crazychristian      60                         1               7              8

Destynova           69                          7               4              11

fone84259           25                          2.28         10             12.3

Helen120             56                          3               14.3          17.3

Ontherun             80                          10.5           6.6           17.1

Nice to see everyone still hanging in with the challange. I for one need to step up big time!! New shoes are an immediate issue before my knees go junk!! Enough with my excuses. Time to go shoe shopping

2007-03-13 5:45 PM

User image

Tiffin, Ohio
Darn. I forgot Sunday runs count for the next week.
I swear my Week 3 totals will be much more impressive.

2007-03-13 6:18 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
That is ok. I just dragged the kids out after supper to get my new running shoes. So I hope to be running in the morning with some distance involved
2007-03-13 6:18 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
That is ok. I just dragged the kids out after supper to get my new running shoes. So I hope to be running in the morning with some distance involved
2007-03-13 9:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good job to everyone, I know it's hard to fit in the runs but it looks like we all are reaching deep to achieve our goals.

Joe, I hope you got the new shoes
Breezy, Sunday is beginning of the weeks run
Fone, I picked my stomach as best part of me
Helen, I'm remembering to go easy on the salt

If anyone wants to know what I do for a living go to www.itsasignstore.com...thatsawhat I do. So if I say I'm working to much at least you know what I'm doing.

Have a great week everyone...

Amy in Indiana
2007-03-14 11:50 AM

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member
Thanx for the smile Amy!

Our server is down so I'm playing on the internet waiting...waiting...

So...I am bad. I was supposed to go to a lunch meeting. I forgot about it, packed my weightwatchers lunch & my workout gear.....I'm gonna workout (bike today so I can rest up for a long run Thursday). hehehehehe. The meeting isn't mandatory anyway...

Day three of 'diet'. I've already eaten most of my lunch before lunch. But I'm still in control! I am determined to stop whining about my weight and actually do something about it. I can't wait to fit into my old jeans!!!!! 6-10 weeks......

Running is going well for me these past couple of days...it's a good boost for my self confidence. if I could ever get motivated for strength training....I'd be happier. Why do I put it off everyday????????????

Ok, back to work I guess. Sigh. Have a super day everyone!!!!!
Helen

2007-03-14 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good for you Helen... I admire your determination, I'm still trying to not look at the scale, but everyday it talks to me...."Come here Amy, you know you have to weigh-weigh-weigh" It's like being sucked into a black hole But I'm still trying to take everyones advice to look at the measurements, and I'm still sticking to my healthy eating...so we'll see. Keep us informed as to how your diet is going. So you got a long run tomorrow...ok...I will be checking up on you.

Amy in Indiana

2007-03-14 12:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
BTW...I love this site, it keeps me motivated to do more each day...

Thanks Everyone

Amy
2007-03-15 9:39 AM

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member
Good morning everyone! Well, it snowed 4 inches last night so my idea of a 10 mile run outdoors is gone. Maybe this weekend or tomorrow if it melts. I just can't face doing it on the treadmill...or maybe I can...I wanted this long run really badly. I have another lunch meeting that I can't skip today - I hope my motivation continues past that meeting to get a workout in.

Amy....I gave in & weighed myself. Bad idea. I've been watching what I eat all week, and of course no movement on the scales. Why do I set myself up for disappointment? Hmmm.

BUT...I am determined. Day 4 of 'diet'. I just want all the weight gone NOW! hahahaha.

Alrighty...may the running gods smile upon everyone today.
2007-03-18 3:14 PM

User image

Hey hey everyone,
I had an exciting day so I had to tell you all. So far this is a personal best for me. I am excited about it. Today with my training partner we kick out a 10 mile run in a 1:35 which is a pretty good pace for me. That averages to be a 9.5 min/mile. With that run am very excited and ready to run my first race at the end of March.

2007-03-18 8:31 PM

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member
Good for you Crazy! That's an awesome run!!!

Hope everyone had a good weekend....I lost my motivation due to um, a few too many beers Friday night. I wo'nt be doing that again for a long time!!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ontherun's Group -Full, off and running :) Rss Feed  

of 11