BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ontherun's Group -Full, off and running :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2006-12-26 3:09 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: Ontherun's Group -Full, off and running :)

Hi, I am Ontherun, also known as Joe

At 36 years of age, I am a father of two great kids, 4 and 7. I also just celebrated 10 years of wedded bliss with my loving wife. I work for a local DPW and enjoy the satisfaction of serving the community I grew up in.

I have been addicted to the sport of triathlon since the fall of 2003. I have been a BTer since that time. I started to tri for the pure purpose of stopping the weight gain that I have always experience. I love to compete (mostly against myself) and enjoy my training.

I have done sprint and oly distance tris over the last 3 seasons. Last year also saw my first 1/2 marathon and full Marathon, along with a day with 2 races in it, a 5k and a 1/2 marathon.  My tri season last year had one sprint distance and one oly distance race. I have tried to use weights when in highschool, but they never realy got me motivated. I am just happy to find a way that has kept me active consitently for 3 years (2.5 years better than any other single activity ever has).

This season has a 1/2 iron distance race in the cards, to be added to an oly distance race or two. I also plan on tring to have a better full marathon in the fall. My long term goals include a full Ironman in the next 3 years.

I curently weigh 230 lbs. I have lost and held off (the more important part) 20 pounds since I started to race. I hope to eventualy no longer qualify for the clysdale (over 190 lbs) catigory in races. If this never happens I will be ok with it.

Edited by Ontherun 2007-01-03 3:33 PM

2006-12-29 1:45 PM
in reply to: #633464

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: Ontherun's Group -Open!!
2006-12-30 6:41 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Bump pt2
2006-12-30 11:13 AM

User image

Tiffin, Ohio
Hi Joe! Will you be my mentor?

2007 is shaping up to be a major life-changing year and I need someone to help keep me on track with my fitness goals. I'm finishing my PhD and on the job hunt. I expect a major move this summer and the new job to start in August so I am not sure what sort of a peak season I can have. I think being on track for a spring half marathon and getting major time in the pool (I just learned how to swim this year) is crucial to having a tri happen this year.

I'm 33 and have been married for 13 years. My husband and I used to stay in shape by doing martial arts together. In 1996 I qualified for the National USAKF competition in the advanced women's category (brown and black belts under 35 years of age), even though I had yet to test for my brown belt. That was my last regular training until 2001 when I started having migraines and realized how out of shape I was. I started doing yoga and weight training which helped reduce my migraines but avoided cardio as I have excercise and cold induced asthma. I started playing socer on an intramural team in 2003 and my desire to improve with that slowly lead me to push my limits.

I've been working out 6 days a week since June 2005, mostly weight training, yoga, and cycling. I trained for my first century ride last summer but less than 2 weeks before the event I took a nasty fall on the bike 35 miles from home. I cut my knee and shredded my shin. The doctors didn't stitch the cut so I could have a shot at the century but the nurse that cleaned my wounds every couple of days forbid me to do it. Making the decision to go for it anyway and then completing the century helped me realize that I had been holding myself back. I have a nasty scar but I think of it more as an abstract tattoo!

Right now I am working on my running, both pushing my lungs to determine their real limits and trying to get well below the 10 min/mile mark. Once the campus gym reopens I need to spend mucho amounts of time in the pool so I can build up endurance and work on my form. I'll also be attending yoga and spinning classes.

-April
2006-12-30 3:29 PM

Thank Joe for the little note - it helped and got me outside to walk/run for 1h and 20 min even if it was cold and rainy (a 1st for me)

Do you think I could join your group with my level? I don't want to slow the group down beeing a "starter" with limited experience under my belt.

I posted my background in my intro, but I can post more info for the group.

Let me know.

Again thanks ...

Desty
2006-12-31 6:38 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Ladies, let me start off by saying I am flattered that you would like to be in my group, WELCOME! I am looking forward to chatting with you and helping in anyways that I can. Please feel free to ask as many questions (the only stupid qustion is the one unasked), as you would like. I will keep an eye on your training and look in regularly. Feel free to post on this thread, but also in my blogs. If you have a personal question, and you do not feel comfortable asking it in a pubic forum/blog, feel free to PM me instead.

In the mean time get your last workout in for the year, and Happy New Year if I do not get back on the computer again today

2007-01-01 9:34 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Happy New Year ladies, and welcome to anyone who is willing to make a commitment to themselves to getting healtier. Welcome to our group.

2007-01-01 11:10 AM
in reply to: #638282

Thanks Joe Happy New Year to you as well.

PS: Desty is not a Lady
2007-01-01 11:55 AM

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member
Happy New Year everyone!

I hope that you'll let me join this group....I need lots of motivation.

A little background....I'm 36 (sigh), mother of one terrrific kid. I've talked my boyfriend into doing the Grand Coulee Ironman with me in Sept 07

I've been running since I was 14 but the past few years my motivation has waned..then I had a back injury last March and it seemed to zap all of my strength & fitness. I was registered for the Sept 06 ironman, but had to postpone it because I wasn't fit enough. So, it feels like I'm starting over. I hate getting up early...but I know it's essential to get up & do most of the training before work. Yuck. And I have to lose 20 pounds. Double yuck.

So, it's 37 weeks till the ironman....I'm sitting here with my back turned to the treadmill & indoor trainer & dusty weights. I only had one drink at midnight so I could be fresh for training today. Hmmm....it's almost noon.

Ok....I'm going to stop whining & work out.

I'm looking forward to being part of the group - please let me know if there is room.

thanx!
Helen

2007-01-01 12:33 PM

User image

Hey, May I join your group,

I am James, 28 I just decieded to train for a tri because the town I am in Host a modified tri every year. I am lucky because in my first tri no swimming just a 9 mile canoe. I plan on doing a couple of other tri's on this year. I plan on a couple of sprints this year may be toward the end of the season an Oly we shall see. I am shooting for a full Ironman in 3 to 5 years. Eventually I will have to swim. So i decided to take the plunge. So I do have a few months of training under my belt but just started to log it here.

Any way I have been married for 8 years, and have two wonderful kids 2 and 4. I work full time, and then some. I have a fairly athletic background, soccer in High School, Coached soccer in college, and played. So running is my strong point. Even at college playing soccer i managed to get up to 205lbs. Also I am driving my wife nuts because all I talk about it training and working out. I guess it is about time I start to talk to people with the same intrest.

OK, If yo like to know more just ask, I am not shy.

later
2007-01-02 4:11 PM
in reply to: #638340

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

ooops, sorry about the confusion desty

Edited by Ontherun 2007-01-02 4:11 PM

2007-01-02 5:31 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

First off I would like to welcome Helen and Crazy to our group. We should all be having lots of fun "together" soon. I have one request of all of you. Please make an entry into your blog, preferably every day, even if there is no workout. This will help me see what is going on in your life besides Swim, Bike and Run. I plan on checking in on all of you regularly, and hope you decide to do the same to the others in our cozy little group.

I will also take the time to ansure a question posed to me earlier today in a PM. The question was do I use a HRM, and $$ came up as an issue. The short ansure is Yes I do use on. I do not use it regularly anymore. I did however find it very useful when I started to train to help find a sustainable pace in my workouts. As for the $$ issue, Polar makes a few bare bones modles for around $40. The nice ones go above $300, but that is a great tri geek toy for a begginer. I would recomend a cheep Polar modle though. They last a long time (three years so far for mine) and give a good starting point on workouts. Word of caution. They work in the water, but tend to move around and give false readings. Also I have heard women complain about finding a good spot to have the chest strap so it will stay put and give a good reading.

Feel free to fire back any questions you may have. I will get back to them as soon as I can. As always I will give my opinion on anything asked, and try to send you in the right direction for more comprehesive ansures if I am not sure.

have fun training

2007-01-02 5:38 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: RE: Ontherun's Group -One space left!

If you get a chance, could you all let me know a few things. I am looking to know what you have for equipment. Pertinant info would be type of bike (mt, road, tri will do), if you have a drainer  ( trainer for the bike), dreadmill (treadmill) or a stationary bike available. I would also like to know what kind of access you have to a pool at this time of year. I for one take most of the winter off and wait until spring to swim again. My personal best oppertunity to swim is open water at a nearby lake, but it is frozen

2007-01-02 10:33 PM

Is there still one space left? if so I would love to join this group as well.

I have never done a triathlon, but am hoping to do an olympic distance by the end of the summer, and thus probably a sprint before that.

I am 24 years old and in my last year of law school so this is really a year of transition for me. I am spending this month in Los Angeles working on a paper, but then in February return to Massachusetts for school until the end of the school year. Then this summer I will be back in Los Angeles studying for the bar exam until August 1st when I move to Las Vegas for a year long clerkship. So as I said this is a year of transition and a lot of moving, which may make training for a triathlon particularly challenging.

Last year I ran the LA marathon. I did it on my own, without a group or anything, just following Hal Higdon's book and program. I can be stubborn and determined when I have a goal. It was one of the biggest accomplishments of my life, and while my goal was just to finish, I did so in under 5 hours, which I was very happy with. This fall I followed it up with a half marathon in Boston.

Unlike running though, tris, and for me especially biking is significantly less intuitive. I have almost no biking experience. I do know how to ride a bike, and have a really old mountain bike here in LA from my days riding a bike to get around college, but that is about it. I was a swimmer in high school, but haven't really done it much since, so while I have the background and probably decent form, it will take me a while to build back into shape.

For me this is part for the experience itself, and part to lose weight and keep it off, as otherwise I find it hard to stay motivated just going to the gym.

I am pretty open so feel free to ask me for more information.
2007-01-03 3:33 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
The last spot is yours. Welcome to the group.
2007-01-03 3:36 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: RE: Ontherun's Group -Full, off and running :)

Crazy's current equipment

A heavy MT bike, which needs work, considering getting a new one. I currently use a stationary bike at the Y, set at Hill interval work out level 7.

Run out side when possible, but use a dread mill when I can't (boreing)

Pool access, again I use the Y, It is a small pool only 45 long.

This is a good start. Feel free to ask as many questions as you would like about buying a bike if you choose this route. I would also recomend checking out my article about buying bikes.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=688

Edited by Ontherun 2007-01-03 6:29 PM

2007-01-03 5:33 PM

thanks for letting me join your group.

My current equipment:

As I mentioned I currently have no bike in Boston, and a really old Mtn bike in Los Angeles.
One main concern with buying a bike would be where would I buy it, and would it be worth it/expensive to move it back and forth? One thought might be to wait until May when I move to LA to buy a bike to train with for the summer. Also in Boston I have access to stationary bikes at the school gym.

Swimming: In Los Angeles I have access to a normal backyard pool, although even in LA in January it is kind of cold to use it. Once I get back to Boston I have access to an indoor pool through school.

Running: I try to run outside as much as possible, and even trained outside last year through the winter for much of the marathon training. In both Boston and LA I have accesst to a dreadmill. I know what you mean about it being boring though. January 1, 2006 a year ago when we had that crazy rain in LA that destroyed the rose parade I was scheduled to go 12 miles, which I did on the treadmill. So boring. At least at school each treadmill has its own TV which helps a lot.

I also have a Garmin GPS watch, which helps me track my distances accurately when running outside.
2007-01-03 6:28 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Well, let me see if I can help on the bike delema. Shipping bikes is an expensive propostion.I believe you start at about $200 before you buy a container to ship it in. Plus you need to be able to put it all back together.

Anouther important point will be when do you plan on racing? If your first race will not until you are back on the left coast that would lean me twards waiting until then. If somehow money is not a real issue in buying a bike, I believe it is Richie who makes a bike that is race worthy and folds to be shipped as check in luggage. Problem is they start at over $3000.

low cost options for racing are beg, borrow or rent. The rentals would be sad racers, but would do if all you want to do is have some fun racing. Somehow, I am sure someone on campus has a bike they might loan out for a day or two to race with, espcialy if there was a pizza with it when returned

2007-01-03 6:40 PM

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member
current equipment....here's my list...

I'm lucky, I work at a YMCA so I get access to all of the equipment & the pool. Sometimes I'll use the city pool, which is metres, rather than yards. Depends on my mood. At home though, I have a Minoura 850 indoor trainer, my bike is a devinci amsterdam. I chose a hybrid bike because I know I will never be into competitive cycling & I don't have a large budget.....I also have a dreadmill. For some reason the treadmill kicks my *ss...my times are slower???? I use a timex watch/heart rate monitor, cheap, about $80. I rarely use the HRM because it gives me a rash if I wear it for more than an hour, especially running.

I try to run outdoors as much as possible, to -25c as long as the wind isn't too bad. I've been running on a track lately though coz the BF isn't used to winter running...yet

sniffle. i hope my cold goes away soon. sniffle. sorry about the whining.

Helen
2007-01-03 8:06 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

When it comes to times from dreadmills, track and measured route, I tend to take the times as all being relative. A dreadmill may or may not be accurate as to distance or rate. So I try to use the times as a guide, not gosple. Track and measured routes can vary also. It depends on who measured the route and if there are hills and such. So I try to vary my workouts and use certain routes for PR attempts and to gauge progress.

As for bikes, when it is all said and done, any bike that is safe will work. To go fast is relative to the engine and the bike. I rode on a touring bike for about 6 years before I got a racing bike for long rides. Had that bike for 15+ years before I replaced it last March. Could ride any of them if I had no other choices, but the older bikes are due for major meltdowns soon, so I only use them on my drainer and spring rides now.

Anouther good choice for a cheep bike is check the local PD. The ones in my area do a few different things. Some "auction" them off for a donation of $5-$25 depending on condition. Others toss them in a dumpster. So if you are looking for a very cheep ride consider asking the local PD what happens to the bikes. Mind you a good tune up will cost you, so you should try to get a good PD bike or due the service yourself. A solid bare bones bike at a good bike shop will start around $ 350 and could be flipped on e-bay when you are ready to move on. Also check Local Bike Shops (LBS) to see if they have some solid trades you could look at.

2007-01-04 10:02 AM

Hi Joe - and Greetings "Ontherun" Team

I am 28 years old professor and entrepreneur. I run a department and teach classes during the day, and I am starting a small business (3D / Web Development) in the evenings. I have a wonderful and supportive wife that puts up with my hectic schedule and is willing to help me achieve my athletic goals. (though she thinks that going through Iron Man is plain and simple unnecessary torture).

I have no solid background in any of the activities, as I have never taken any of the sports to seriously. What I mean by lack of seriousness, is a lack of sustained long term effort. In any sport I have engaged in, I push it very hard (1 to 3 months), to the brink of injury and exhaustion and then I stop for a year or so.

Equipment:
I live literally 1 minute away from the YMCA and 5 minutes from a park and a 2 mile path surrounded by trees and grass. Which gives me access to a warm indoor pool (25 yards laps), and a brand new gym (treadmills, bikes, and weights)

I do have a Heart rate monitor (Nike Trac C6)
I don't have a bike yet, but I have a $750 budget for it, I am just hesitating on what to buy.

Goals:
Summer 2007 - 5K + Sprint distance race (location TBD)
2008 Escape from Alcatraz Qualifier http://www.tricalifornia.com/dirtyseries/2006/
2009 Escape from Alcatraz http://www.tricalifornia.com/alcatraz/2007/index.htm
2013 IronMan Hawai (for my 35th Birthday)

The goals are there to keep me looking forward and motivated, they are not the sole reason behind my efforts. What I really look for is to enjoy running, biking and swimming and thus feeling healthy, energized, happy and accomplished every single day.

I look forward to being part of this team.

Desty

2007-01-04 5:00 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Ok, I am not trying to burst any bubles but I have seen lots of IM Kona hopes latley on BT. I am one of them. Just keep in mind, only a few people get blessed with that oppertunity. Ways I know you can get into Kona.

1) Qualify-means geting one of 80 slots at a IM quailifying IM or 1/2 IM event. these tend to go to the first 3 to 5 finsihers in each AG. They can trickle down to the first person in each AG who wants to go, so there is always a chance if you finish well.

2) Loto spot-BT had a loto spot winner last year, and maybe more than one, I just know of one. My local tri club had one also. Sign up each year, and maybe the gods will smile on you

3) Charety Auction-I believe there are 5 spots autioned off each year on a site, maybe E-bay. At last check they go for about $30,000 each for the last few years. The first winner tends to be less expensive than the last

4) Find a way to get NBC to foot the bill-If you watched the 2006 IM coverage, you saw Rick, Dick and Jason Hoyt. Rick and Dick have been racing for years. I belive NBC extended an invite to Jason to help encourgage Rick and Dick to come back for one more try. I am not sure of all the logistics, but it seems to gel with why the Blazeman got his entry changed from IM Florida to Kona. Blaze's training partner for IMF wrote to NBC to suggest the ALS angle as a great human interest story, and the rest is history.

Again, I am not trying to discoruage IM Kona as a goal. I for one am planning on going to IM Lake Placid in about 2 years. This also requires signing up within 2 hours of regestraion opneing the day after the previous race is finished. Best bet is to voulenteer the at the year befores race so you are on property when reg. opens. IM branded races fill very fast.

An alternative to IM branded Iron distance races are held by other race directors.There are many fine Iron distance races, I just have not boned up on them yet

Good luch and good training.

2007-01-04 9:56 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
I notices a few in the group have gotten themselves premeir memberships with BT. Too cool. I could schedual a chat session some night durring the week if anyone was interested in some "live" Q&A or just a good bull session.
2007-01-05 11:49 AM

User image

I plan on stepping up my membership soon. Any way there is alot of time involved in trainging for a tri, what about over training, i know it can lead to injury, which my be the cause of my knee. I started in Oct running, then in Nov joined the Y and started everyday alternating from run to bike. Now I am starting Running/swim and bike everytoher day. I know to take it easy the week before the race, but is there a time when in training i should take more that 2 days off. I do have a light week, but would it benfit me more to take more time for recovery. this seems like a dumb question, but with my knee issues it has become a concern.

Thanks

2007-01-05 5:38 PM
in reply to: #643543

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

the issues involved with overtraining are hotly debated. Where we are right now getting ready for a first tri are a slightly different story. A few good places to start are as follows. First is the 10% rule. You should NEVER up your milage/time more than 10% from the previous weeks workouts. Jumping up more than that dose not allow your body to adapt to the stresses being put on it.

Anouther realy good place to start is to import a training program from BT. They have the 10% rule built in with benifits. One of the added benifits is three weeks of build with the forth week as a recovery week. This allows your body to build up for three weeks then rest and recover. Normaly the milage/time increases are something like +5%,+5%,+5%,-10%.

The biggest issues with over training boil down to basicly too much too fast, and too long with no rest. BTW, make sure you make time to sleep. Without enough, your body will not rebuild properly between workouts.

As always keep the qustions comming.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ontherun's Group -Full, off and running :) Rss Feed  

of 11