General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training after gallbladder surgery. How to ease back in? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-26 5:58 PM

Subject: Training after gallbladder surgery. How to ease back in?
I plan to do my first sprint tri in May 2007. I had my gallbladder removed due to gallstones a week ago. The doctor won't let me return to training or do anything strenuous until after the new year. How should I ease back into training? I have gone from being obese and never jogging in my life to losing 75 lbs. in a year and running 2.5 miles (used a walk/run six week program found online). I alternate swimming and running during the week. I am more concerned with the running, although due to the location and tenderness of the largest incision, the swimming may prove to be challenging in it's own regard. I bike at the gym for now (getting bike in a month). The doctor did say I could walk but I have a cold/fever, so that's off the menu for the moment as well. Any suggestions regarding how to build back up to where I left off after being absent two weeks+ from the gym? I'm new here (this site and to tri training), but the site is very helpful and everyone seems very nice. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Edited by beamishgrrl 2006-12-26 5:59 PM

2006-12-26 10:15 PM
in reply to: #633589

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Training after gallbladder surgery. How to ease back in?
OK, since you think we are all nice, I'll try to come across in a nice way. First and foremost, your surgeon is in charge up to a point. If he says walk, then walk. Having a cold and/or fever is not a contraindication to walking. Pateints admitted to the hospital have an order line called "Activity", and as much as possible that line says "Ambulated ad lib", which means walk as much as the patient desires. There are very few exceptions to this. Walking will help you maintain muscle tone which you have likely lost already if you havn't been doing ANY exercise since your surgery. When I had back surgery, my leg muscles were SO weak, that when I walked (as ordered) with jeans on instead of shorts, I had to grab my jeans and help pull my leg up because the weight of the jeans was enough to fatigue me...so muscle atrophy can happen rapidly if all you are doing is laying on yoru back. (which is what I was doing after back surgery).

OK, so hopefully I've convicned you to walk, as long as your surgeon says it's OK. Next you'll have to ask your surgeon about the other things you are concerned about. Swimmming...was it an open procedure or laproscopic? Is the wound healing? Running ... will the impact of running affect internal healing/scar tissue ? (I don't know the answer to this...). I would tink cycling would be the least problematic as relating to surgical recovery.

When I had my back surgery, my surgeon was very helpful with activities, and this was even before I was training for tris.

First of all, he told me to walk, walk, walk as much as I could, as much as I wanted. At my 6 week followup, he gave me clearance to do anything I wanted, including running. Since then I have tried everything I can think of with the peace of mind that my surgeon said it was OK. Only once I needed medical clearance for scuba diving...I lied and said I'd never had surgery because I was on a little island and didn't want to deal with going to see their doctor. And they wouldn't let me sign my own papers!

OK, hope that helps...
2006-12-26 11:41 PM

thanks! I intend to walk. It was laproscopic. When I asked for details, he wasn't very forthcoming, just...nothing until after the new year.

It sounds like you've made tremendous progress since you're surgery. kudos.

thanks again!
2006-12-27 4:42 AM

New user
The surgeon is not your boss. Use what he says as guidelines. Ask for information, then use that information to make your own decisions. No doctor or surgeon is going to say, "yes, by all means start training again".
2006-12-27 6:24 AM
in reply to: #633719

User image

Champion

You'll find plenty of docs who'll say just that.  There's a reason that you're told to do light activity for awhile, and it's not because the doc gets a kick out of it.  Healing times from different surgeries involving various tissues is fairly well known across the board.  If you're deciding on your own and ignoring what you've been told, you're doing something potentially dangerous to yourself.

All of us can probably point you to any number of patients who did too much too soon and had complications in recovery.  The surgeon is not your boss, but he/she might actually know something on occasion. 

markg72 - 2006-12-27 4:42 AM The surgeon is not your boss. Use what he says as guidelines. Ask for information, then use that information to make your own decisions. No doctor or surgeon is going to say, "yes, by all means start training again".

2006-12-27 8:11 AM

New user
He/she does know SOMETHING, but contrary to what he/she thinks, not EVERYTHING. Patients know SOMETHING, also. Don't forget that.

2006-12-27 8:23 AM

User image

Oregon
I agree with the "do what your surgeon says" school of thought. After all, you selected this doctor to do his/her best for you and you paid one heck of alot of money to get it done.

In August, I had prostate surgery. Walked a mile the next day around the halls of the hospital. Surgeon and nursing staff were very encouraging. On release from the hospital, I walked every day reaching four or five miles after a few weeks. Then started walk and run. Felt good but had to stop frequently to urinate. Was told not to ride my bike or swim for six weeks. After that all restrictions were removed.

Doing "what the man says" worked for me.

Oh, did I mention, the surgeon removed all the cancer allowing me to live and tri for years to come.

Good luck with your recovery.
2006-12-27 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
I had gallbladder surgery in August of 2005.  I was back at work after about 5 days, against medical advice, but due to necessity.  I was totally exhausted from overdoing it at work and I was really unable to get back to exercise for probably a month.  I would try and just be dead tired... probably because I tried to do too much.  Taking it easy and resting in the beginning makes it a whole lot easier in the middle and the end.  It is a lot easier to say than to do though....
2006-12-27 10:02 AM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA

I'll put in my two cents. I'm a general surgeon and perform GB surgery on a regular basis.  First of all, much of the advice your surgeon gives you after surgery is not based on trials, that is, scientifically supported data.  We usually tell people to stay away from heavy lifting for 6 weeks after surgery on the abdomen because it gives your abdominal incisions time to heal and this should help prevent incisional hernias.

Unfortunately, this time honored reccomendation is not well supported by medical literature. The facts are that some people recover very quickly from abdominal incisions and can get back to activity quickly, while others struggle as they heal more slowly.

In the case of cholecystectomy, I stick with the 6 weeks without heavy lifting.  It really takes much longer for your tissues to reach the maximum scar tensile strength, but at six weeks your fibroblasts are well in place and producing collagen.

For most patients, I tell them to slowly increase activity after week 2.  I would allow them to swim run or bike if it felt comfortable. If they experienced any pain or discofort after a short trial, I would tell them to cut back.   I also advise them to avoid any sharp tranfers of force from upper to lower or lower to upper body. Golf, tennis and hurky jerky movements can overwhelm the tesile strength of the fascia at the site of suture attatchment.  The fascia there has poorer blood supply as it is at the edge of the wound.

After 6 weeks of adding back activity, I tell them to resume full activity.  Many do so before 6 weeks.  

It's very reasonable to discuss your goals with your surgeon and ask them to help tailor your return to full activity. To be fair to your surgeon, you should discuss your plans to return to activity. It IS true that you are the boss of your own body, but at the same time, they are (most likely) advising you based on their expertise and are looking out for your best interests.   I have patients that decide to 'go their own way' and most do just fine.  When they didn't listen and bad things happen, I say 'I'm sorry but what did you expect?'

Good luck on your recovery! 

2006-12-27 1:06 PM

User image

Beamishgrrl,

I had my gallbladder removed laproscopically on Sept 9 of this year. I was down for the weekend after my surgery (my surgery was on a friday afternoon). My husband had to go back to work that monday so i had my 18 month old at the time and my 1 month old baby to take care. I had no choice but to deal with the everyday of an active toddler and the demands of a newborn. By the end of the evening that first week i was incredibly sore and i cried pretty much every night that week b/c it hurt to breathe. My body had to heal and i mostly felt the pain of my body readjusting after having air pumped into it. This lasted about 1 week and my incisions took about another week to heal. I officially started excercising 4-5 days a week about 6 week later. I did do regular walking after about week two just to get some exercise in and to feel better.
Just a thought. This surgery is considered outpatient but i tell you i think they really need to reconsider that and keep people for atleast 1 day in the hospital. Between the anesthesia and the soreness it affected my life greatly for about 2-3 weeks.

-beth
2006-12-27 1:12 PM

New user
Bluejack, sounds as if you and I would get along as doc/patient. You sound as though you are willing to listen to a person's goals and desires - not just say, "I am the doc, and I say you need six weeks of rest." The patient knows their body, as well as their lifestyle and goals; and the doc knows the med side of things. It should be a team effort, not a single-sided dictatorship.

2006-12-27 1:25 PM
in reply to: #633776

User image

Champion

Why so defensive about this?  Nobody's claimed that docs know everything.  All I'm trying to say is that docs who do those surgeries have lots of experience with patients and their healing times and might actually know what they're talking about.  Is there a standard day when you can start doing strenuous activity?  Of course not.  Is there a time period after surgery where you're more likely to hurt yourself?  Of course there is.

Not sure what your issue is with physicians, but you'll find more who will work with you for your health than the god-complex types that you're speaking of.

markg72 - 2006-12-27 8:11 AM He/she does know SOMETHING, but contrary to what he/she thinks, not EVERYTHING. Patients know SOMETHING, also. Don't forget that.

2006-12-27 1:51 PM
in reply to: #634156

User image

Elite
Evans, GA

montyb49 - 2006-12-27 1:06 PM This surgery is considered outpatient but i tell you i think they really need to reconsider that and keep people for atleast 1 day in the hospital. Between the anesthesia and the soreness it affected my life greatly for about 2-3 weeks. -beth

As payments for surgeries go down and the hospitals apply more pressure for less patient days, the pressure is on a surgeon to get folks out of the hospital sooner.   Inguinal hernia repairs were inpatient procedures not so long ago.

At the VA here in Augusta, my patients tend to have comorbid conditions and I tend to be able to keep them for 24 hours as needed. If I were  in private practice, the beancounters would be breathing down my neck!  I will also be tagged by physician tracking groups for having a longer length of stay for my procedures.

The fact is, most people are safely discharged to home the same day for cholecystectomy and there are no statistically observable MEDICAL complications for folks who go home the same day versus those who go home on post op day one.   Most complications after this surgery take time to develop, and are relatively infrequent for this procedure. The almighty dollar doesn't care if folks are at home in more discomfort than they would have had as an inpatient.

The flip side of the argument is that we do not have infinate resources for health care, and if people stay in the hospital a day longer, the ability of the health system to tolerate the extra cost means something else suffers. 

As per Derek's comments, while there are exceptions, most MDs I know care deeply abou their patients and the results of their surgeries. You need to understand that they treat many folks, and that complications can hurt the physician emotionally, financially and professionally.  Thus, they tend to presume that bad things will happen.  I'd much rather have my surgeon be cautious and hold me back from activity for 6 weeks than say WTF and let me go willy nilly. This reduces complications for ALL of their patients. 

Most people are actually on the other end of the scale and have to be pushed to increase activities!

(That being said, I'd want my wife to stay overnight).

Edited by Bluejack 2006-12-27 1:53 PM
2006-12-27 5:49 PM
in reply to: #633845

I have found this to be true. I definitely feel zapped most of the time since surgery. I'm less sore everyday though. I cleaned house and mopped my floors (I have hardwoor floors in all the rooms except one in my house) a couple of days ago and felt horrible the next day. I did walk a couple of miles on Christmas day, but then woke up with a nasty cold and fever the next day (yesterday). I guess I'm more susceptible (?). I do tend to push myself a little too much too early, but the soreness and cold have prevented that...probably a good thing.

Thanks!
2006-12-27 5:51 PM
in reply to: #633893

Bluejack - 2006-12-27 10:02 AM

I'll put in my two cents. I'm a general surgeon and perform GB surgery on a regular basis. First of all, much of the advice your surgeon gives you after surgery is not based on trials, that is, scientifically supported data. We usually tell people to stay away from heavy lifting for 6 weeks after surgery on the abdomen because it gives your abdominal incisions time to heal and this should help prevent incisional hernias.

Unfortunately, this time honored reccomendation is not well supported by medical literature. The facts are that some people recover very quickly from abdominal incisions and can get back to activity quickly, while others struggle as they heal more slowly.

In the case of cholecystectomy, I stick with the 6 weeks without heavy lifting. It really takes much longer for your tissues to reach the maximum scar tensile strength, but at six weeks your fibroblasts are well in place and producing collagen.

For most patients, I tell them to slowly increase activity after week 2. I would allow them to swim run or bike if it felt comfortable. If they experienced any pain or discofort after a short trial, I would tell them to cut back. I also advise them to avoid any sharp tranfers of force from upper to lower or lower to upper body. Golf, tennis and hurky jerky movements can overwhelm the tesile strength of the fascia at the site of suture attatchment. The fascia there has poorer blood supply as it is at the edge of the wound.

After 6 weeks of adding back activity, I tell them to resume full activity. Many do so before 6 weeks.

It's very reasonable to discuss your goals with your surgeon and ask them to help tailor your return to full activity. To be fair to your surgeon, you should discuss your plans to return to activity. It IS true that you are the boss of your own body, but at the same time, they are (most likely) advising you based on their expertise and are looking out for your best interests. I have patients that decide to 'go their own way' and most do just fine. When they didn't listen and bad things happen, I say 'I'm sorry but what did you expect?'

Good luck on your recovery!

This is so helpful! Thank you so much!
2006-12-27 5:57 PM
in reply to: #633791

JohnM - 2006-12-27 8:23 AM

Oh, did I mention, the surgeon removed all the cancer allowing me to live and tri for years to come.

Good luck with your recovery.

That's wonderful!

2006-12-28 4:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Welcome to the club!
I had my gallbladder out (lapro, thankfully) on Dec 13th.
On Dec 21st I saw my surgeon and he gave me the go ahead to run whenever I wanted. I ran 2 miles on Dec 23rd (couldn't go a step further, ribs/lungs very sore probably from the CO2).
I ran 6 yesterday and I am paying for it today. The muscles in my abs are quite sore, but my surgeon warned me this would happen and said it would be o.k. I warn you though, just take it easy.
He also told me that biking and walking would be the least painful and he was correct.
I can't imagine swimming as activities that involve reaching up over my head are quite uncomfortable.
I hope you are doing well with your recovery, it really does come in stages, on Dec 16th I wanted to kill myself (so uncomfortable from the gas, and I couldn't sleep), and today I am at work and doing just fine.

p.s. I for 1 am THRILLED the procedure is outpatient, hospitals are about the worst place you can be to recover (you can't sleep, the risk of hospital-acquired infections is high, and it sure isn't cheap to spend the night!).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training after gallbladder surgery. How to ease back in? Rss Feed