BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2007-01-04 4:42 PM
in reply to: #634648

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Manatee Express Group - Full

Note to group.....my screen name is changed as of this afternoon. (Thanks Mike/Marmadaddy!)

New screen name: GTAUSP3

Now to get a plan on my log and I am ready to go (again) !

Gina

2007-01-05 7:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
Tried reading throught the "how to's", but couldn't find how to post that colorful graph of races that I plan to do...any help???
2007-01-05 9:48 AM
in reply to: #641405

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Subject: RE: Manatee Express Group - Open

To your bike question, I will start with a couple of questions to you. What are you riding now, how much are budgeting to spend on a new bike and where will you do most of your riding. The budget is a big deal because like a car you can spend a fortune on a new bike but you don't have too. It depends on the bells and whistles you want. What you ride now gives me a starting point on what you can expect to improve by upgrading. A lot of folks will tell you go to the internet for the best deal. I am not one of those people. I have been bought both on the net and from a local bike shop and I favor the latter. Big reason for me is that I am not mechanical and am not very good at fixing things when they go wrong and I get a lot better treatment from a bike shop if I bought the bike there. I am digressing, but answer my questions and I will elaborate more.

ken

Well, I have no where to go but up. I have been riding a JAMIS sport comfort bike, and am now ready to move to a road bike. I agree with you on the local bike shop advice, and have actually been talking with them for a little while. What they have told me is that one of the most important things for me is weight (I'm not a big person). I want to ride with groups, and worry about keeping up with the "big boys". I've actually been looking at a couple of Felts (funny Ryan should mention that), and plan to go test driving next week. As far as budget goes, I just got a bonus check from work (yea!) so I'm not too constrained. However, I'm thinking mid range in case it doesn't turn out to be the bike for me, or if I really want to upgrade later, or for other miscellaneous reasons.

Cheri
2007-01-05 10:23 AM
in reply to: #641113

User image

Veteran

Cheri,

Let me chime in too. I agree with Ken totally on the local bike shop recommendation. Although an online price might be appealing, having a relationship with a LBS will give you great return when you have maintenance issues, general questions, and need professional knowledge about cycling and equipment. I rely on two shops in my area. Both provide excellent service and also are good resources for group rides and event notification. And I get notices about special sales....woo hoo!

I am in Mobile not too far from you.  

Gina 

2007-01-05 11:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
one more chime...

LBS and the relationship aspect will be huge. I have starting dealing with a LBS (gearwest) and I actually get to deal with the owner, do spin classes (once I buy the bike) with their team members, do training and the whole nine yards.

I also hope that I will be part of their tri team, get advanced registration, a place to stay (under their tent at races) and also plug money into a LBS that is willing to hopefully reinvest their time with me to help me out.

2007-01-05 1:32 PM
in reply to: #643295

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Sledge - 2007-01-05 9:48 AM

[ken

Well, I have no where to go but up. I have been riding a JAMIS sport comfort bike, and am now ready to move to a road bike. I agree with you on the local bike shop advice, and have actually been talking with them for a little while. What they have told me is that one of the most important things for me is weight (I'm not a big person). I want to ride with groups, and worry about keeping up with the "big boys". I've actually been looking at a couple of Felts (funny Ryan should mention that), and plan to go test driving next week. As far as budget goes, I just got a bonus check from work (yea!) so I'm not too constrained. However, I'm thinking mid range in case it doesn't turn out to be the bike for me, or if I really want to upgrade later, or for other miscellaneous reasons.

Cheri

Good starting info. This is a dangerous subject for me. I could talk for days about bikes. I am gonna throw out a couple things to think about.

Price Ranges for new bikes

Entry Level - $500 to $800
Mid Range - $800 to $1,600
Hi end - $1,600 to 3000
What everyone really wants - >3,000

Road Bike vs Tri Bike

Road bike - Big difference is that it has drop down handle bars and does not have aero bars. Aero bars can be added. For someone who want to ride in groups you want to be able to ride with your hands near the brakes, drop down bars let you do this. If you add the aerobars it allows you ride aero or in the drop bars.

Tri Bike - no drop bars only aero bars. Some group rides don't allow them and you can't ride in a pure bicyle race with them. You can race in a bike time trial.

There are other differences besides the bar, but its a big one and has impact on how and where you ride.

After several years in the sport, most people end up with both a road bike and a tri bike.

My recommendation is a road bike. You can put aero bars on it when you buy it but you can still do group riding. I also think you get get a little more bang for your buck at the entry level and possibly the mid range.

Components

The type of components are actually one of the biggest parts of the bike cost. Components include breaks, gears, shifters, deraillers, chains, etc. The most common compenent groups are made by shimano and are as follows:

Tiagra - Low end
105's - Low mid
Ultegra - High End
Dura Ace - Very High End

Most entry level are tiagra or 105's. If you can get 105's they are definetly preferred to Tiagra. Better quality shifting, longer lasting.

The mid range will be 105's with some Ultegra depending on the bike. Most folks say there is a big jump in quality from 105 to Ultegra.

Dura Ace is top of the line. The big difference from Dura ace to Ultegra is weight, with Dura Ace being lightest.

Frame Material - Steel, Aluminum, Carbon, Titanium. I will try to find an article to share on this. Its just alot of info for me to try and type.

I prefer carbon but it has alot of drawbacks. In the entry to mid range, aluminum is usually the best buy.

You hear alot of talk about bike weight. Don't get too caught up in this. Most bikes fully loaded will be 18 to 20lbs. Even for a small person, your weight will be the significant portion of the total weight moving. For example

100 pound person on a 20 pound bike is less a single percent different than a 100 pound person on an 18 pound bike. Even less significant for bigger guys like me.

I gotta get back to work. Keep the questions coming.

2007-01-05 2:30 PM

Grand Rapids, MI
Awesome info, thanks very much!!
2007-01-05 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
You know I think I my explanation of tri vs road bike was really weak. Here is a link to an article that really does a great job.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml
2007-01-06 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
since we are talking about bikes...update from my first post!

I bought my Felt S32 yesterday. They still have it. They had to order a size 52 shoe (road not tri) and I also get a QR full john wetsuit!!! It was a package deal. I will pick it up when the shoes come in!
2007-01-06 2:59 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Cool, I love new bikes.
2007-01-06 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Cheri did a pretty quick half marathon today. Way to go!

2007-01-06 6:52 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
As I noted earlier, Cheri raced today and she asked me how to write a race report. The site has a template and it helps you write a race report. It's a great tool to document for yourself how you performed for reference for future races and to look back when you go to do a race you have done before. Its also a great way to research a race your interested in doing. You can find others who have done the race and read what they say about the race.

To write a race report do the following.

1. First you have to add the race to your race list. On the left side of your training blog there are 3 buttons that say Alblum, Races, PM. Select Races and it takes you to a new pages.

2. On the bottom of the new page there is a button to add a race. Select this button.

3. This takes you to the page where you input information about the race. You input the info, date, location, etc. After you enter the info, press search for existing races. If another BT'er has already entered the race, you select the race and it puts the race on your schedule. This is neat because you can look and see if any others are doing the race. If it isn't in the database then you tell it to add the race.

4. If you have to add the race, you give more details on the race per the template.

5. Once you input the race, save it as draft. You can input your races in advance if you like or do it when you get ready to write the report.

6. To input your report go back to your blog and hit the race button again. The race will now be listed on this page. Click on edit and then just follow the template to write your report. Some people write long ones, some just fill in the times, its up to you. If your writing a long one, save it as you go, to prevent losing what your typing.

7. Once you complete the report, save it as draft. You then can make it public if you like. By making it public it post to the a forum of race reports. This forum is called race reports and it has race reports that others have printed. You can go in and look at the others race reports and read about other races. This is how I actually found BT. I was looking for info on a race and googled the race name and it took me hear. You can also comment on race reports, just like any other post.

8. You can edit your report any time.

hope this wasn't too long winded.
2007-01-06 9:03 PM
in reply to: #640109

Roswell, GA
I would be interested in some sprint races between PCB and Destin. My wife and I have a place we stay in PCB quite a bit from March to September.
2007-01-06 9:13 PM
in reply to: #644818

Roswell, GA
I realize I"m a bit late on the bike info, but I feel the need to chime in. First of all, I'm a big fan of the local bike shop idea. I have done everything over the past 2 years with one shop that is fantastic. I have a Cannondale R700. I had to order it since it's a 63 and I wasn't about ready to "build" from parts the best sized bike. It's a road bike due to the "geometry" of a tri bike that was not going to work with my geometry. I still don't really know what that means but various experts in various bike shops shared the same suggestion after seeing me.

I'm really excited about having a group to share, motivate and ask questions to. I'm looking forward to kicking of 2007 in a big way.

Chris
2007-01-07 6:39 AM
in reply to: #645062

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
ctreanor - 2007-01-06 9:03 PM

I would be interested in some sprint races between PCB and Destin. My wife and I have a place we stay in PCB quite a bit from March to September.[/QUOT

The best place to find races is the following website:

http://trifind.com/

It doesn't have everything but it has most of them. I don't know if the races for 07 are up yet but these are the races I know about in that area.

Emerald Coast Triathlon Series - 4 sprints in Panama City from April to October.
Gulf Coast Triathlon (half iron)- Panama City, I think its May 13
San Destin Triathlon - August in Destin 1000 swim 20 bike, 4 run
Destin Crab Tri - Sprint October
Beach Blast Triathlon Series - Mexico Beach, FL. I think they are having a sprint, an olympic, and a duathlon in both April and October. Not sure yet on dates.
My First Tri - not sure of the dates, its in Ft Walton.

Pensacola and Gulf Shores also have a couple races if you don't mind a little drive.

Ken
2007-01-07 8:40 AM
in reply to: #643373

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
GTAUSP3 - 2007-01-05 10:23 AM

Cheri,

Let me chime in too. I agree with Ken totally on the local bike shop recommendation. Although an online price might be appealing, having a relationship with a LBS will give you great return when you have maintenance issues, general questions, and need professional knowledge about cycling and equipment. I rely on two shops in my area. Both provide excellent service and also are good resources for group rides and event notification. And I get notices about special sales....woo hoo!

I am in Mobile not too far from you.  

Gina 

Gina (and everyone else who chimed in about supporting LBS),

I am certainly a believer in supporting any local business. If you don't support it, it just may go away and then where will we be? And I'm especially glad to have the bike shop, because I'm very much a beginner when it comes to buying. I sure don't want to make a bad purchase! Thanks for all of the help (especially Ken!). I'm going to "test drive" a couple of bikes this week, and see what works.

Gina, I like your comment about making peace with running. I'm thinking about doing the Azalea Trail Run in Mobile on March 24th. Are you going to do it?

Cheri

2007-01-07 8:54 AM
in reply to: #645165

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Manatee Express - 2007-01-07 6:39 AM

Ken

My First Tri is on June 9th. That's the one I'm shooting for. It's on Eglin AFB, so you have to pre-register so that they can put you on the base access list. I volunteered at it last year to get a feel for what a tri is all about. But I still have lots of basic questions, since I really am a beginner.

The whole transition thing is a mystery to me. Is it difficult to get out of the water and on a bike?

Then there's the "lead" feeling in my legs going from bike to run. I tried it the other day, and it was very strange. It only took a couple of minutes to get past it, but still...

And then there's the clothes thing -- I saw some people wearing bathing suits and not bothering to worry about anything else, then there were others who threw shirts on, and others who wore running shorts in the water. It was all very confusing. What do you recommend?

I still have lots of other questions, but I don't want to wear everyone down immediately. But any help would be appreciated!
2007-01-07 9:03 AM
in reply to: #644819

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Manatee Express - 2007-01-06 3:00 PM

Cheri did a pretty quick half marathon today. Way to go!

Thanks Ken. And thanks for the instructions to fill out a race report. I did one for this race. As everyone will see, I didn't have my best race ever, but I do know what happened and will work to correct it. It is an excuse (which I hate!), but between weather and traveling over Christmas I wasn't able to keep up with my long runs. That showed up at mile 10, when I just crumbled. I will definitely do more long runs between now and my next half in March!
2007-01-07 10:26 AM
in reply to: #645199

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Sledge - 2007-01-07 8:54 AM

Manatee Express - 2007-01-07 6:39 AM

Ken

My First Tri is on June 9th. That's the one I'm shooting for. It's on Eglin AFB, so you have to pre-register so that they can put you on the base access list. I volunteered at it last year to get a feel for what a tri is all about. But I still have lots of basic questions, since I really am a beginner.

The whole transition thing is a mystery to me. Is it difficult to get out of the water and on a bike?

Then there's the "lead" feeling in my legs going from bike to run. I tried it the other day, and it was very strange. It only took a couple of minutes to get past it, but still...

And then there's the clothes thing -- I saw some people wearing bathing suits and not bothering to worry about anything else, then there were others who threw shirts on, and others who wore running shorts in the water. It was all very confusing. What do you recommend?

I still have lots of other questions, but I don't want to wear everyone down immediately. But any help would be appreciated!

Very good questions! First with your run base you can be ready to race earlier than June but I am not trying to rush you.

Some notes on transition and don't hesitate to ask. In my wife's first triathlon she actually had a towel and changed from a bathing suit to bike shorts and shirt after her swim. You will see even more interesting things at some races. The ideal solution is a tri suit which you do the whole race in. They come in both one or two piece. The bottoms have a small chamois for compfort but nothing near as big as regular bike shorts. If you go to the gear review forum's and search you can easily find some feedback on different brands. Some good brands are DeSoto, Zoot, and Pearl Izuma, but there are plenty more and you can find them in bike shops or online. For guys, same thing - two piece or one piece but you race with what you start with. It's a real pain to try to put on clothes during transition when you are wet or in a hurry. Feel free to ask more questions here.

As for how transition works, the big rule is practice before you race. For the bike to run, its a real good idea to do combo (brick) workouts as you get close to your race. They help you get use to the feeling. Swim/bike bricks are good too. As we get closer to race season I will try to elaborate alot more of transitions. For those who are competitive in your age group transitions can be the difference in a race.

2007-01-07 11:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
Thank you for the above post on transitions. I actually had that question go through my mind right before bed last night. I am awaiting more advice closer to race season. Thank you.
2007-01-07 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
What are your plans for the week. I am planning on swim team 3 days. At least 2 runs and maybe a bike trainer ride. I may do a half marathon Sunday if my ankle feels good on Friday. I also plan on starting strength work again.

2007-01-07 6:42 PM
in reply to: #645520

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
Manatee Express - 2007-01-07 5:38 PM

What are your plans for the week. I am planning on swim team 3 days. At least 2 runs and maybe a bike trainer ride. I may do a half marathon Sunday if my ankle feels good on Friday. I also plan on starting strength work again.

Not as lofty as yours, but...
I plan to have a great week of training and finish with a nice brick (swim/bike) on saturday morning. I have 2 swim days left, 2 bike, and 1 run left. My strength training is my strong point. My strength is up near were I want it...Felt good during chest and tri's today. I also want to have a very healthy week at work (foodwise).

KEN---i did a search for cycle computers...saw you logged over 5000miles...wow. My question for you...what computer are you using? I have a Polar HRM that can double as a bike computer, but i want a specific one that stays with the bike...any suggestions?

Edited by hundoracer 2007-01-07 7:35 PM
2007-01-07 11:15 PM

Grand Rapids, MI
Manatee Express - 2007-01-07 6:38 PM

I can't help but chuckle. My plans for tomorrow are to get the stationary bike out of the back of my van (been there since wednesday) and to ride it for 1/2 and hour. That and some free weights will be my best friend for at least a month. I don't plan on running or swimming till mid february, and then I plan on taking it slow and learning how to do both right. Hopefully by September, I will be at least competent enough in all three disciplines to finish "not last."

2007-01-08 8:30 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Manatee Express - 2007-01-07 5:38 PM

I'll do my morning runs Mon-Fri, plus a long run on Sunday and a run with the track club after work on Wednesday. I also plan to get a couple of bike rides in, plus go to the gym a couple of days after work.
2007-01-08 12:12 PM
in reply to: #645774

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
grnerd - 2007-01-07 11:15 PM

Manatee Express - 2007-01-07 6:38 PM

I can't help but chuckle. My plans for tomorrow are to get the stationary bike out of the back of my van (been there since wednesday) and to ride it for 1/2 and hour. That and some free weights will be my best friend for at least a month. I don't plan on running or swimming till mid february, and then I plan on taking it slow and learning how to do both right. Hopefully by September, I will be at least competent enough in all three disciplines to finish "not last."

You don't need to chuckle. I may not have explained myself on my historical training well. I am just coming off training for an ironman (14 to 20 hours a week) so I can still ramp up pretty quick. My base is pretty solid even though I am slow, I can go forever.

I started in a very similiar place to you and you are correct in starting out slowly. Doing too much to start is an invitation to injury. The only suggestion I might make is consider getting some walking in. Walking is underrated as a calorie burner.

Now get that trainer out of the van!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 10