BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2007-03-12 4:06 PM
in reply to: #718842

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Manatee Express Group - Full

Manatee Express - 2007-03-11 8:47 AM Here is a pretty good one on cadence. I will look for more. http://www.trifuel.com/training/bike/cycling-cadence[/QUOTE]

Did I read this correctly? Is he advocating 88-92? I am doing good to maintain 80-ish.

2007-03-14 7:21 PM
in reply to: #634648

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Hey Gang,

Sorry I have been a little absent lately. Rough times at work but I have thought about all of you. I will check your blogs and see whats happening.

The cadence number of 88 to 92 is accurate. Its not a freak opinion, you will find it in almost any bicycle training log. Its not just for triathlon either, its what the bike racers use to. Terrain and wind can be a factor but 90 is the goal in longer rides.

That being said, if your cycling at 80, you want get there overnight. Drop to an easier gear and work at it. I know some people who turn there cycle computer to where they can only see cadence. There logic is that speed is a function of terrain and wind while cadence is something they can control in there training. I don't do that, I gotta know how fast! You will find over time that you can go alot further when you use a lower cadence. It also helps get the legs right for running, which interestingly enuff is best done at a cadence of around 90 steps a minute.
2007-03-14 7:29 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Here are some other articles on cadence with tips as well.

http://www.cptips.com/tech.htm

http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/bike/cycling-cadence-and-pedaling-...
I believe this article is by a coach who post on BT.
2007-03-15 7:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
Hey gang...
I have finally gotten over the "sick wife" hump. She was really sick. Now she is better and we just got back from vacation @ Key West. What a wonderful town!

Anyways, ran down there and it sucked. Vacations are vacations and running hurt my body!

My weeks are getting goofy, just got another puppy so that is messing with my schedule, but I will be back in gear this weekend. I can't wait to get things rolling again (it has been maybe 3 weeks since my good training).

I have a 10k to look forward to in about 1 month, then the duathlon creeps up on me then it is tri season! whoohoo!
2007-03-15 9:10 PM
in reply to: #723301

User image

Veteran
Ft. Washington, MD

Manatee Express - 2007-03-14 8:21 PM ...It also helps get the legs right for running, which interestingly enuff is best done at a cadence of around 90 steps a minute.

This brings me to another question: How do you track running cadence?

2007-03-15 10:28 PM
in reply to: #724829

Roswell, GA
I was at a seminar the other day and they discussed this. You should be doine about 170+ steps per minute (both feet). There are a few ways to do it but only a couple I have found. You can count, which isn't easy. ALthough I do the same thing I do on the bike for cadence, I count one foot for six seconds, then do some multipliacation to get the minute (count of one foot X 10 X 2). Another alternative that was shared was a metronome (sp?) and set it to the pace you want. Another was an electronic device either a watch or some kind of light or buzzer that can be set to the right tempo and your feet will match. The last option that I was able to find was from Itunes that references a web site called podrunner.com which is a DJ from CA that creates 150+ beats per minute so you could play this and use it for your running cadence. I hope this helps.

2007-03-16 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Washington, MD
Great information.  I'll have to figure out which one works best for me, but there are a few options at least.  Thanx for that!!!
2007-03-16 1:35 PM
in reply to: #724903

User image

Veteran

ctreanor - 2007-03-15 10:28 PM I was at a seminar the other day and they discussed this. You should be doine about 170+ steps per minute (both feet). There are a few ways to do it but only a couple I have found. You can count, which isn't easy. ALthough I do the same thing I do on the bike for cadence, I count one foot for six seconds, then do some multipliacation to get the minute (count of one foot X 10 X 2). Another alternative that was shared was a metronome (sp?) and set it to the pace you want. Another was an electronic device either a watch or some kind of light or buzzer that can be set to the right tempo and your feet will match. The last option that I was able to find was from Itunes that references a web site called podrunner.com which is a DJ from CA that creates 150+ beats per minute so you could play this and use it for your running cadence. I hope this helps.

Chi Running suggests using a metronome and offers it as part of their product line. No endorsement for this particular model, just giving you something to review.  

http://www.chirunning.com/shop/home.php?cat=8

2007-03-18 9:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Washington, MD

I tried a podrunner mix (173 BPM) for this morning's bike ride on the trainer. I was able to close my eyes, visualize, and keep cadence without concentrating on the bike comp. The time flew by. I've got a new training partner for a while!! Thanks for the tip.

2007-03-21 8:37 PM
in reply to: #727644

Roswell, GA
Hmm, it's great to hear that the podmiser worked for you. I listened to a few samples while sitting in front of the computer and I couldn't take the music. I'm sure it's much different while active. Good to know.
2007-03-21 8:47 PM
in reply to: #732506

Roswell, GA
Swim Analysis ------

A couple of weeks ago I went to an evening seminar session about Tri here in Atlanta. It was run by an athletic club. They had a few sessions and one of them was run by a couple that both were All Americans in swimming in their day. Now they have both qualified and/or completed Kona. Anyway that's not the important part.

They offered for $65 to do swim analysis and drills this past Sunday afternoon. THis included underwater video and critique. I thought it would be interesting - what a deal. I had my first swim workout on my plan tonight after this event. They provided the following feedback for me 1) I had a heavy crossover under the water which caused my feet to "flail" 2) I didn't keep my feet high enough to be parallel to the surface, 3) My catch needed some serious work, 4) My hands entered the water too early (just ahead of my eyes/head)

Well, now for the best part. I didn't do anything fantastic. However, my workout today was to be 800 yards/meters in 35 minutes. I did 800 yards in 17 minutes! Better than that I felt great when I was finished. I could have easily done more laps. I was so perplexed after the workout I swam an additional 50 to measure the time at what felt to be the same pace - I did a 50 second 50 after swimming an 800. I focused on using core to keep my body in the right position, and arm extension, and a good catch position. I think the biggest difference besides the catch was the hands entering early, they said, was providing pressure against the water coming at me which could actually slow me down. I had my hands way out in front, as suggested, what a difference.

Thanks for allowing me to tell my story. I'm ecstatic, and unfortunately, I can't explain this to anyone that would care, or understand. Any way, if you have an opportunity to do this or have done it before - what a deal!!!! highly recommend video analysis.

2007-03-22 9:33 AM
in reply to: #727644

User image

Veteran
getnfit - 2007-03-18 9:06 PM

I tried a podrunner mix (173 BPM) for this morning's bike ride on the trainer. I was able to close my eyes, visualize, and keep cadence without concentrating on the bike comp. The time flew by. I've got a new training partner for a while!! Thanks for the tip.

This is probably a really dense question but here goes: when using the podrunner mixes, are you supposed to match your pace to the beat of the music? I listerned to samples of two different mixes, a 140 and a 160. I really couldn't tell the difference. What am I supposed to be listening for?

2007-03-22 9:35 AM
in reply to: #732512

User image

Veteran

ctreanor - 2007-03-21 8:47 PM Swim Analysis ------ A couple of weeks ago I went to an evening seminar session about Tri here in Atlanta. It was run by an athletic club. They had a few sessions and one of them was run by a couple that both were All Americans in swimming in their day. Now they have both qualified and/or completed Kona. Anyway that's not the important part. They offered for $65 to do swim analysis and drills this past Sunday afternoon. THis included underwater video and critique. I thought it would be interesting - what a deal. I had my first swim workout on my plan tonight after this event. They provided the following feedback for me 1) I had a heavy crossover under the water which caused my feet to "flail" 2) I didn't keep my feet high enough to be parallel to the surface, 3) My catch needed some serious work, 4) My hands entered the water too early (just ahead of my eyes/head) Well, now for the best part. I didn't do anything fantastic. However, my workout today was to be 800 yards/meters in 35 minutes. I did 800 yards in 17 minutes! Better than that I felt great when I was finished. I could have easily done more laps. I was so perplexed after the workout I swam an additional 50 to measure the time at what felt to be the same pace - I did a 50 second 50 after swimming an 800. I focused on using core to keep my body in the right position, and arm extension, and a good catch position. I think the biggest difference besides the catch was the hands entering early, they said, was providing pressure against the water coming at me which could actually slow me down. I had my hands way out in front, as suggested, what a difference. Thanks for allowing me to tell my story. I'm ecstatic, and unfortunately, I can't explain this to anyone that would care, or understand. Any way, if you have an opportunity to do this or have done it before - what a deal!!!! highly recommend video analysis.

AWESOME! Sounds like you have really benefited from this experience. 

2007-03-22 3:33 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Real smart training on the swim. It just goes to show how form intensive swimming is!
2007-03-22 8:21 PM
in reply to: #732962

User image

Veteran
Ft. Washington, MD
GTAUSP3 - 2007-03-22 10:33 AM

I listerned to samples of two different mixes, a 140 and a 160. I really couldn't tell the difference. What am I supposed to be listening for?

You probably won't notice 20 extra beats per min unless you listen to them simultaneously. But yes, you are listening for the overall beat of the music which is very strong. However, on the mixes I have, and probably the samples you heard, it starts with an intro and some speaking that are not a part of the BPM mix though they are part of the actual track/file. Also, music at a BPM this high sounds horrible (IMO). I doubt that I could ever listen to it other than during a workout. Download one and try it for a bike session and see if you get anything out of it.

2007-03-23 5:33 PM

User image

Veteran

Good idea. I'll give it a try this weekend. I listened to samples from the Yahoo podcast site. Is this the same site you recommended?

(And I will also check my posts more carefully...listeRn??

2007-03-25 5:12 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Hi everyone! I've been quiet for awhile. No excuses, just busy. I ran my half marathon in Atlanta today, and while I didn't make my goal I'm really not displeased with the results. My race report (such as it is) is up. I don't do as thorough a job as Ken does on his reports, but hopefully I captured the highlights.

I'm so tired, I feel like I could go to bed right now and sleep the night away!
2007-03-27 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Congratulations on your 1/2 marathon Cheri. Tough racing weekend with above-average temps and humidity. Good job!
2007-03-27 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
yes, double congrats!

I ran for 4.4 miles yesterday and I thought about a 1/2 marathon, then I ran into a car. He totalled it. I am fine. Just messed up my hair.

• None of that happened, except the running and thinking about a half marathon.

Edited by hundoracer 2007-03-27 2:23 PM
    2007-03-27 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
    Ft. Washington, MD
    Whew....so the hair is actually okay!  
    2007-03-27 7:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Shakopee, MN
    So, I have a 2:04 bike ride/trainer because it is raining and crappy outside. I am doing the beginner olympic and skipped a few weeks of training because of a sick wife. Does 2hours 4min seem like a lot for the olympic distance training...this saturday is an additional increase too!

Just want to get feedback...I get so bored by myself and on the trainer.

Would 1hour or so be ok? any thoughts??

Edited by hundoracer 2007-03-28 11:31 AM

2007-04-01 11:14 AM
    in reply to: #739422

User image

Master
    Gulf Shores, AL
    hundoracer - 2007-03-27 7:23 PM

So, I have a 2:04 bike ride/trainer because it is raining and crappy outside. I am doing the beginner olympic and skipped a few weeks of training because of a sick wife. Does 2hours 4min seem like a lot for the olympic distance training...this saturday is an additional increase too!

Just want to get feedback...I get so bored by myself and on the trainer.

Would 1hour or so be ok? any thoughts??

Ryan - Your first race is still 45 days away and your olympic is even further out, 1 hour on the trainer at a time is plenty. Right now you should focus on frequency and not worry about duration so much on the bike. Get your miles up and build slowly. 45 minutes is fine. Riding outside is so much more enjoyable and you have plenty of time to build your long ride. By the time you get to your Olympic race your long ride should be 2 hours but build it up, not a rush to get there for a june race.

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner.

ken
    2007-04-01 11:14 AM

User image

Master
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Check it out, Sherry won her age group in her run this weekend!!!!
    2007-04-01 3:41 PM
    in reply to: #744410

User image

Expert
    Shalimar, FL
    Manatee Express - 2007-04-01 11:14 AM

Check it out, Sherry won her age group in her skip this weekend!!!!

I'm a happy camper today, although I think the course was a little short.
    2007-04-05 8:53 AM
    in reply to: #744567

User image

Veteran
    You are really doing well this race season, Cheri. Congratulations! (Now, how about sharing some of that fast running stuff with me?!)
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 10