General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim questions: pull buoy & foot cramps Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-28 3:29 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Swim questions: pull buoy & foot cramps

OK, I know that pull buoys are good, and you shouldn't get in a habit of relying on them.  I've been alternating the use the pull buoy on intervals and have been able to get the differences in the 50 yard laps to within 1-2 seconds with buoy vs w/o the buoy, vs 5 or more seconds diff earlier this month.  Also over the month I've have lowered my 50yd times 8-10 seconds.  I can now really feel the water, the balance, glide, everything without the pull buoy.  Should I back way off on my use of the buoy to 10-25% of the time?  Pretty much I'm using it 50% of the time right now.

Next foot cramps, anyone else get a cramp on the bottom of their foot when swimming?  I seem to get one at the end of long swim sessions (50-60 mins).  Right in the middle of the bottom of the foot, sometimes the right foot other times the left.  First I thought it was related to long runs the day before, but yesterdays swim was without such a run for a couple a days beforehand and again I got one.  Am I forcing a cramp by trying to keep my ankles straight?

2006-12-28 3:44 PM
in reply to: #635741

User image

Expert
Welcome to Super Mario World
Subject: RE: Swim questions: pull buoy & foot cramps
Foot cramps are a way of life with swimming. My masters coach says to take magnesium supplements. I would really recommend backing off the pull bouy... you can only use training wheels for so long.
2006-12-28 7:46 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Foot Cramps seem to be a pretty normal part of swimming. seems to be related to pointing the toes. I also get calf cramps from time to time but that is more common in open water and/or body surfing. (Also seems to be caused by pointing toes and cold water)

Can't offer much advise on the Bouy as I have never used one and am not much of a "Traditional" Pool swimmer. (I am sure that some of the Master's Swimmers here would be better at offering advise)

If you do figure out how to prevent the cramps, surely you need to post it as it just seems to be something to endure during long swim sessions.
2006-12-29 9:38 AM
in reply to: #635762

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

felloffmybike - 2006-12-28 4:44 PM Foot cramps are a way of life with swimming. My masters coach says to take magnesium supplements. I would really recommend backing off the pull bouy... you can only use training wheels for so long.

WaterDog66 - 2006-12-28 8:46 PM Foot Cramps seem to be a pretty normal part of swimming. seems to be related to pointing the toes. I also get calf cramps from time to time but that is more common in open water and/or body surfing. (Also seems to be caused by pointing toes and cold water) Can't offer much advise on the Bouy as I have never used one and am not much of a "Traditional" Pool swimmer. (I am sure that some of the Master's Swimmers here would be better at offering advise) If you do figure out how to prevent the cramps, surely you need to post it as it just seems to be something to endure during long swim sessions.

Glad foot cramps isn't just me!  Last night I gave myself a foot massage, holy crap did I ever have knots on the bottom of my feet.  Then I went for a long run and did it again.  They feel great today so far!  I'm swimming later today and will do another massage and see how they fair in the pool.

Now on the pull buoy. I cannot find any info on what the expected difference in lap speed/time should be to say one has the stroke down, kinda like the excellent swimmer not getting much of an advantage with a wetsuit.  Like I mentioned, I can be within 1-2 seconds with & without the buoy. If I only use it to gauge my stroke every now & then and I see I'm back up to 4-5 sec diff that must mean I'm losing form without it. 

2006-12-29 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Re foot cramps - are you keeping your toes pointed the whole time through the kick?  My kick is lazy but from what I was told the foot should relax on the upstroke (like a swim fin does as you pull it back up).  Correct me if I am wrong.
2006-12-29 1:46 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-12-29 2:02 PM
in reply to: #636684

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

surfwallace - 2006-12-29 2:46 PM Do you take fluid with you to the pool? Stupid question but I must ask. A lot of people think because they are in the water they don't need to drink any. I used to not drink anything during workouts and would get cramps almost everytime going from a pull set to a kick set. After I started drinking during workouts, I didn't have the problem as much.

Yes I do, same routine, I hydrate all day and have my 20-24oz water bottle on the pool deck.  I also use it to move on the tiles to track the laps!

2006-12-29 2:03 PM
in reply to: #636620

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

CalgaryRunner - 2006-12-29 1:35 PM Re foot cramps - are you keeping your toes pointed the whole time through the kick?  My kick is lazy but from what I was told the foot should relax on the upstroke (like a swim fin does as you pull it back up).  Correct me if I am wrong.

I think so.  I'll have to pay attention to this later today in the pool.

2006-12-29 2:59 PM

Regular
dude there should be no reason why your time with or without the buoy should be the same. technically your pull buoy times should be slower than your swim times.

if that is truly the case, i would spend more time with the kick board.
kicking+pulling with your arms=faster swim times. i know most triathletes downplay the role of kicking during the swim, to conserve the leg for the bike and run, but it's good to have a nice kick if you ever need it. my kick is definitely better than my pull, so i may be biased. but i also swam in college so i'm not totally talking nonsense either.

not sure what to say about foot cramps, it may have to do with the way your kicking, dehydration, who knows. i'm sure you know this but, your toes should not be pointed at the bottom of the pool, but to the back in a nice stream lined position.

good luck.
2006-12-29 3:42 PM
in reply to: #636782

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Man, here I was feeling good about myself  

Thanks, it makes sense if I think about it.  My 7 years son can out kick me in 25 yards.  Now that I have my balance down better I'll begin to focus on some kick drills.  I think I need some fins though as kicking without is brutal!

whataboutjohnlee - 2006-12-29 3:59 PM dude there should be no reason why your time with or without the buoy should be the same. technically your pull buoy times should be slower than your swim times. if that is truly the case, i would spend more time with the kick board. kicking+pulling with your arms=faster swim times. i know most triathletes downplay the role of kicking during the swim, to conserve the leg for the bike and run, but it's good to have a nice kick if you ever need it. my kick is definitely better than my pull, so i may be biased. but i also swam in college so i'm not totally talking nonsense either. not sure what to say about foot cramps, it may have to do with the way your kicking, dehydration, who knows. i'm sure you know this but, your toes should not be pointed at the bottom of the pool, but to the back in a nice stream lined position. good luck.

2006-12-29 8:21 PM
in reply to: #636820

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Went to Sports Authority and purchased a pair of Zoomers Blue fins and drove straight to the pool,  I get it now! 

I did 6 lengths with the board and fins, 1st pass was a pitiful 51 sec, each pass got 2-3 sec faster and on the last one I did 32 sec.  putting it all together with a buoy and then free, I swam my quickest 50 & 100 free yet today!

2006-12-29 8:56 PM
in reply to: #636981

Regular
good job man! zoomers are good to train your feet and ankles to move in the right way for the kick. keep doing kick sets, some distance, some sprint intervals. also you can do some swims with the zoomers as well.

keep on putting it all together!
2006-12-30 4:32 PM
in reply to: #636718

Master
brummie land
DRM - 2006-12-29 8:02 PM

surfwallace - 2006-12-29 2:46 PM Do you take fluid with you to the pool? Stupid question but I must ask. A lot of people think because they are in the water they don't need to drink any. I used to not drink anything during workouts and would get cramps almost everytime going from a pull set to a kick set. After I started drinking during workouts, I didn't have the problem as much.

Yes I do, same routine, I hydrate all day and have my 20-24oz water bottle on the pool deck. I also use it to move on the tiles to track the laps!

is it only water you drink? maybe try an electrolyte based drink instead - makes a big difference.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim questions: pull buoy & foot cramps Rss Feed