General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Possible Charity Event--SORRY MOVED TO MAIN GROUP POSTING Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-28 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Subject: Possible Charity Event--SORRY MOVED TO MAIN GROUP POSTING
I'm interested in putting on an event to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Two years ago, I was diagnosed with Hodkins Lymphoma. After 8 months of chemo, I was looking for something to rebuild my lung strength and conditioning and found triathlons. April will be one year since I first considered a triathlon. Since then, I've lost 20 pounds, dropped almost 6% bodyfat, and found a new lifestyle. I've been looking for a way to give back and I think this is the right way for me.

I'd like to put together a swim-a-thon at a local aquatic center in the Charlotte area. Essentially, participants would recruit their own sponsors (by the lap or overall), similar to events like Susan Komen or the CROP Walk. I've got several questions for the group:

1) Is this something that would interest you, both as an triathlete and as a charity venture?
2) Would you be willing to pay a low registration fee (approx $15) in exchange for a tshirt and food? I'd also offer raffles/prizes for participants who reached certain sponsorship levels.
3) What sort of raffles/give-aways would you like from an event like this?

I'm interested in any other thoughts or suggestions that you might have.

Thanks for your input.

Eric

Edited by medic0020 2006-12-28 4:20 PM

2007-01-05 1:11 PM
in reply to: #635799

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Possible Charity Event--SORRY MOVED TO MAIN GROUP POSTING
First, congratulations on beating your disease, way to go.

Secondly, while I am not a great swimmer, I would be interested in doing something like this. Maybe you could speak to someone at the MAC downtown and see if they can arrange lanes for a specific time in the morning. I dont like hounding people for donations but maybe you could have a "buy in" for people like me (kinda like the Booty and MS150 do).

I think $15 is more than reasonable for an entry fee. I dont know about giveaways, I do events for the t-shirts myself

Good luck with this.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Possible Charity Event--SORRY MOVED TO MAIN GROUP POSTING Rss Feed