BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TH3_FRB's (Joel) Group - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2006-12-28 9:49 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: TH3_FRB's (Joel) Group - FULL!
NAME: Joel, TH3_FRB

STORY: I got into triathon a few years ago as a new challenge. Since then I've completed 3 HIM/70.3 distance races and about a dozen shorter tris along with lots of road races and a few duathlons. I found that I enjoy helping others so much that I decided to take on coaching as a part-time profession. I'm currently a certified USAT and USAC coach and will be certified in power-based training by USAT in the spring. I spent this past season rebuilding after being hit by a car on my bike in April and suffering a fractured pelvis. I'm back to 1005 now and looking forward to a full season of racing and training in 2007.

FAMILY STATUS: Single living with my girlfriend

CURRENT TRAINING: Focusing on 70.3 and IM for 2007. Technical periodized training including HR and power based training.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: The highlights - Boston Marathon, Timberman 70.3, Clearwater 70.3 World Championships

2007 RACES: Some of the more important races on my schedule - Shamrock 1/2 Marathon, Virginia Duathlon, White Lake HIM, Eagleman 70.3, Xterra Richmond, Rock N' Roll 1/2 Marathon, Diamondman HIM, Pinehurst Oly, IM Florida, JFK 50

WEIGHTLOSS: N/A

Edited by TH3_FRB 2007-01-02 12:48 PM

2006-12-29 1:53 PM
in reply to: #636064

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: TH3_FRB's (Joel) Group - Open
2006-12-29 6:42 PM

Darn - if I didn't have a group I'd join yours. I know you are an HR junkie too.

-Danielle
2006-12-30 10:44 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Maybe it is the avatar with the crutches that is scaring all the potential new "mentees" away  

Look forward to meeting you at IM-FL  

2006-12-30 10:46 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Darn, if I was looking for a mentor, you would have been it!
2006-12-30 10:50 PM
in reply to: #636929

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Don't worry everyone...I won't throw you in front of a car

jcjsc00 - 2006-12-30 11:44 PM

Maybe it is the avatar with the crutches that is scaring all the potential new "mentees" away

Look forward to meeting you at IM-FL

Edited by TH3_FRB 2006-12-30 10:51 PM

2006-12-30 10:53 PM

User image

Expert
Toronto

Ooh, ooh! I'd like to sign up. As a start, here's a link to my Q&A in the Training Plan Support forum.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=58409&posts=11#M584837

Very excited about this!

2007-01-01 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountains of Colorado!

joel,  or mr th3_frb.... will you be my mentor?

i've been doing this tri stuff for about a year...i did about 3 or 4 sprints, couple oly's throw in a half iron and two iron distance....

i need some direction. i was the guy who the folks in the tri club would call if they needed a workout partner or someone to do a race with...."edde you wanna run 16 tomorrow?" "sure" "edde, you wanna ride 70miles tomorrow?" "sure" "edde, you wanna do a half iron next month" "sure" you get the picture.

races i'm doing in 2007

misc sprints and timetrials

white lake half

duke half 

southcarolina half

then imfl 

2007-01-01 4:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu,
Would like to join the group. I also need to get some structure to my workouts instead of winging it. I have done 4 sprint and 2 olys, but will only be able to race once or twice this year so my goal for this year is to work on my base with the races just to do for fun. Also would like to get my wieght down to around 170 from the 200 that im at right now.
2007-01-01 5:54 PM

I would like to join the group.

I just started with some long distance races. I'm running the Disney marathon 1/6/07. I'm real interested trying out some tri's and see if I can eventually work my way up to an Full IM distance.

Since I'm starting out I'm looking for a solid training base to expand on.
2007-01-01 11:29 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama

Joel, would you have me? I am currently really really trying to work with zones and hr, and am desperate to improve my running times. Plus other things.

thanks.tiz.

2007-01-02 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Can I join? Im looking for a group.... heres my background:

NAME: Kellie, klc09

STORY: I got into training for Tris through a Adventure Race I got talked into. I was looking for a way to train for more than just running, and the closest thing I could think of was tris. So after the Adventure Race I decided to try a tri, and I loved it and was hooked. It was a great way to break up all the running, which I had been doing for about a year. I used to be athletic back in high school, and then as the story goes, let myself go through college, etc. Im loving being back in shape, and I feel so much better about everything these days, hopefully it continues

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a cat and new puppy!

CURRENT TRAINING: Main goal this year is Steelhead 70.3, then my first Marathon

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Did a few sprints, and a Olympic, and ended with my first Half Marathon

2007 RACES: A few sprints, a 70.3 in August, and then a marathon in the fall hopefully

WEIGHTLOSS: Im fairly close to where I want to be, potentially would like to drop 5

Edited by kellc09 2007-01-02 10:30 AM
2007-01-02 12:47 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: TH3_FRB's (Joel) Group - Closed

Okay everyone, the group is full (over-booked actually).  Here's who we've got:

• Caius
  • ellasdad - Ed
  • adameldridge - Adam
  • jmgarcia - Joe
  • Tizzy - Dee
  • klc09 - Kellie

I see the mentor program as a way to form small support groups, share our experiences, provide motivation, and help each other get started in our training for 2007.  I'm happy to answer training/planning questions along the way and help people get moving int he right direction with their training zones and that type of thing but I honestly just don't have the time to "coach" each of you individually.  I'm sure everyone has different goals and background so we'll have to find ways to do things that everyone can relate to in some way.  The first thing that pops into my head is to make sure everyone is set up with appropriate training zones and paces for swim/bike/run.  No matter what your current fitness or goals are, training at the proper intensity is very important.  Does everyone have a heart rate monitor (HRM)?  i know there are testing protocols on BT and all over the internet but I'll put together what I like to use in the next week so we can all be working on the same page.

We're all here to help each other so I think it would be a good idea to check in and leave some inspiration on the other training logs a couple times a week...even if just to say "hi" and give some encouragement.

2007-01-02 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Subject: RE: TH3_FRB's (Joel) Group - FULL!
Sounds good to me Joel. I do have a HRM now, and I have not yet properly set my zones, but would like to. So I'll watch for your posting on how were going to do it, and get to work on it.

Hello to everyone else, and I look forward to working with everyone!
2007-01-02 1:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu,
I have a hrm but i need to redo my hr zones due to me not working out for 4 months. I used the test from the Training bible to set my zones last time.
2007-01-02 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
Toronto

Yup, I've got an HRM and have used the D3 LTHR test to set my running zones. Haven't done that yet for the bike or swim but since I have a bike session planned for tonight, I will look after that.

2007-01-02 4:05 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I use a testing protocol very similar to Mike (D3).  If you're motivated to do it tonight then go ahead but if not we can all plan bike and run testing in the next week or two.  For swimming I use one test to establish threshold pace and a time trial to periodically measure improvement.  Give me a few days and I'll post the info on testing for everything.
2007-01-02 4:40 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama

Good deal!

I have a hr moniter, and have done my run LT test 4 months ago and am due to retest.  I have not done my bike or swim testing, but of course will do so as soon as I can.

2007-01-02 9:27 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: Threshold testing (bike/run)

Heart Rate Training:

Heart rate monitors are a relatively inexpensive tool that can be used to help guide our training. The old saying "no pain, no gain" is only partially true. Sure, there are times when you need to push yourself into that discomfort zone and it may even become painful (in a good way of course ) but the majority of triathletes and endurance athletes should be spending a significant amount of their training developing a solid aerobic base rather than logging copious tempo runs and interval sessions at the track. Yes, these workouts have a time and place but they also have a relatively high cost in terms of recovery. They are best used sparingly during the build and peak phases of training. As triathletes I think we collectively have a problem of being too motivated to push our limits. Chances are even an "easy" run is typically at too high of an intensity to serve the purpose (developing base or recovery) unless we have something to guide us. Enter the heart rate monitor...There is no cheating when that display strapped to your wrist is telling you exactly how hard you are really pushing.

One of the most confusing things about using a heart rate monitor during training is how to establish heart rate training zones. Google "heart rate training" and you'll find a lot of different opinions about how to set up training zones. A number of formulas have been developed to estimate training zones based around maximum heart rate...Age-Adjusted Method, Karvonen Formula, Leger Formula, MAF Method...but these formulas are estimates at best and can be 20, 30, even 40 beats off for a given individual. A much more precise method for establishing training zones is to base the zones around the lactate threshold, sometimes called anaerobic threshold (AT). Lactate threshold is the highest intensity at which your body can recycle lactic acid as quickly as it is being produced. As endurance athletes knowing our LT is extremely important for both training and racing. A well-trained athlete can sustain LT intensity for 60-75min before overloading their body. Lab testing of LT is the most accurate method for establishing zones but many athletes either can’t afford this type of clinical testing or don’t have access to facilities with the necessary equipment. Luckily, there are ways to estimate your LT by performing field tests that require nothing more than a heart rate monitor. Many coaches have found that the field test method produces results that are very consistent with lab testing and have concluded that field tests are a perfectly acceptable alternative.

Testing Protocol:

Make sure to warm up well for 10 to 15 minutes before starting out. The field test is going to be an individual time trial of 30 minutes. The effort should be very hard, but not so hard that you slow down at the end, think race effort of about 10k running or 30k bike time trial effort. It's best to do this on a track in order to control for hills and avoid changes in effort that could be associated with external factors such as traffic. Another good option is to find a 5k, 8k or 10k race (which ever you think would be closest to a 30min all-out effort). This can actually produce better results since you have the motivation of the other runners to keep you going. Again, the goal is to go as hard as you can sustain for the entire 30min without slowing and finish with nothing left in the tank.

Start the time trial and make sure to press the start button on the heart rate monitor. After the first 10 minutes press the lap button, and then press the lap button again at 30 minutes. Cool down 5 to 10 minutes very easy. Your average heart rate over the last 20 minutes is your estimated lactate threshold.

This same protocol applies to the bike as well. It's important to test both the bike and run because you will have different LT values for each. As a general rule of thumb, your bike LT will be ~10bpm lower than your run LT but this could vary from 5-15bpm so it's best to test and make sure. For the bike I think it's even more important to perform the test on a trainer or closed course (think time trial) unless you can find a stretch of road or loop that you can ride hard for 30min without any stops or slowing for traffic and turns. Some people will argue that testing on a trainer isn't ideal because you race and train outside. I agree that the trainer isn't ideal but I believe that the control over your testing conditions and focus you can have on a trainer outweighs the negatives of not being outside. If you do use a trainer be sure to have a big fan directly in front of you to help cool your body. 

These tests are fairly intense so I would suggest taking at least 2-3 days of easy training and/or rest between the bike and run testing.  You want to be relatively fresh and well rested so you can give it your best effort.  Once you have estimated your LTHR for both bike and run we can establish appropriate HR training zones for each. 

Training Zone Descriptions (from Mike Ricci, D3Multisport)

Zone 1 – This is considered aerobic and a very easy effort. So easy, that you feel guilty.
When to use Zone 1: Recovery days.

Zone 2 – This is an easy effort but not quite as easy as Zone 1. This may be twenty-five beats lower then LT.
When to use Zone 2: Long rides and runs.

Zone 3 – In this training zone you are neither LT, nor aerobic. This zone should be used for longer training sessions only, such as ½ Ironman and Ironman training.
When to use Zone 3: You may use this during Ironman training sessions or you may creep into this zone at the end of long rides or runs.

Zone 4–5a - This is a training zone that is called LT, or lactate threshold.
When to use Zone 4-5a: These are the workouts that are our ‘hard’ session during the week. The Master’s swim workout, tempo runs, or the "hammer session" group ride – these are all LT workouts. Studies have shown that training at, or below, LT creates the greatest benefit as it allows the body to recover quicker then if we train above LT.

Zone 5b - This zone is still LT but it is above LT and it hurts like heck! It could mean five to ten beats above LT. Most athletes will do very little training in this zone.  An example would be shorter track intervals with long recoveries.  Too much training here leads to over training according to Joe Friel.
When to use Zone 5b: Not often, but if you do, this would be at the end of a long hard set.

Zone 5c -  In this zone you are going all out for a very short period of time. According to Friel, this zone, in general, has limited benefit for the multisport athlete. The exception is those who are lacking the capacity to develop muscle mass or recruit fast twitch muscle fibers.
When to use Zone 5c: Seldom, but if you do, they are short fast explosions. The recovery time between these intervals may be long, and a few days will be needed after one of these sessions to help the body recover.

2007-01-02 10:30 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: Threshold testing (swim)

Just like the bike and run, we want to have some way to guide our training efforts during swim training. HR monitors aren't as convienent in the pool so instead we want to establish a threshold pace to use as a reference point. I like to use a testing protocol by Gale Bernhardt. Gale suggests slightly different testing depending on the goal race. Warm-up is the same regardless...10-20min of your choice of strokes followed by 4X25 fast. The 4X25 doesn't need to be a 100% sprint but they should be fast enought to get your HR up and prepare you for the testing. Take 2-3 min to recover and then go directly into the testing.

Sprint-distance

Swim 3X100 with 20 seconds of rest between each. The goal of the set is to swim at the highest possible sustained speed. Ideally, you'd like your times to be within a few seconds for each 100 so be careful not to go too hard on the first and end up hitting the wall on #3. I'd even suggest being slightly conservative on #1. It's best of all three 100s are within 5 seconds of each other. Average the time for all three 100s to establish your threshold pace (Gale calls this T1-pace). For example, a reasonable swim test might be 1:25, 1:21, 1:24 which would give a T1-pace of 1:23. Be sure to cool down with 3-500 easy swimming.

Olympic- to Ironman-distance

Swim 3X300 with 30 seconds of rest between each. The goal of the set is to swim at the highest possible sustained speed. An accurate test is when all three 300s are within 15sec of each other. Average the time for all three 300s then divide the average by three to establish your T1-pace for 100. For example, if you swim 3:30, 3:25, 3:22, the average time for the 300s is 3:27 and your T1-pace would be 1:09. Be sure to cool down with 500-1000 easy swimming.

Training Intensities (from Gale Bernhardt)

E1 - Endurance -  Ignore the clock and hold RPE in zone 1.  E1 is used for aerobic swims and active recovery.

E2 - Endurance - RPE is in zones 1-2 or 5-10 seconds per 100 slower than T1-pace.  E2 is used for aerobic swims and extensive endurance.

E3 - Endurance; Muscular Endurance (Distance) - RPE is in zones 2-3 or 0-5 seconds per 100 slower than T1-pace.  E3 is used for tempo and intensive endurance. 

Force - Force workouts often use a pull-buoy and paddles for a significant portion of the main set.  These workouts are intended to improve swimming strength.  Goal pace is typically 0-5 seconds per 100 slower than T1-pace.

ME - Muscular Endurance - ME workouts are analogous to Lactate Threshold sessions for bike and run.  Pace is typicallt T1-pace or slightly faster for a good protion of the main set.  Swim intervals might be 50-200m with 5-20sec recoveries.  The goal is to accumulate as much time as possible at T1-pace.

A - Anaerobic Endurance -  The goal of anaerobic endurance workouts is to swim FAST and you need to be well rested for bst results.  Intervals are typically short (50m) and recoveries are long.  You may find that speed decreases as the set goes on but you should always be faster than T1-pace.

Edited by TH3_FRB 2007-01-02 10:52 PM
2007-01-03 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountains of Colorado!
wow! i new i joined the right group.... the joel that kind a info is exactly what i need..

2007-01-03 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
Toronto

Good post Joel. I didn't perform my bike LT test last night. I spent a good part of yesterday afternoon with the weights trying to figure out my 1RM and my legs are killed. I think I will have to wait a couple of days before I give the bike test a try. I'm going to go for an easy swim today and nice recovery spin on the trainer tonight and go from there.

2007-01-03 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu,
I did the swim test this morning with a T1 pace of 1:46. Which I think is pretty good for me since I have only been swimming for a year now. Lots of room for improvement though. So should i wait to do my test for bike and run till another day. or could i do the run test tonight? Also im looking for a simple weight program. All the programs i have seen have at least 20 different lifts

Edited by adameldridge 2007-01-03 1:34 PM
2007-01-03 1:27 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Thanks Joel.... I will do those tests next week when I get my new HR monitor. Also, when you said do a 10 min warmup, then 30 minutes hard, and 10 min recovery, and take the last 20 minutes... do you mean the last 20 mintures of the 30 hard minutes?

Just making sure I have it right since I havent done a LT test before
2007-01-03 1:42 PM
in reply to: #640826

User image

Expert
Toronto
Yup, take the average HR over the last 30 hard minutes as your LT heart rate.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TH3_FRB's (Joel) Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 4