General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor Bike Training?'s Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-29 1:22 PM

Subject: Indoor Bike Training?'s
I have made the decision to go for a couple of sprint and olympic triathlons in 2007. I have been reading about the training plans and hours involved and I think I am ready. I've been spinning at they gym 2-3 times a week for about eight months, taken swimming lessons, and did a 5K the other week. My plan is to do a few sprints to gain a little confidence and then I have the olympic length as my overall goal.

The only thing I'm not sure how to tackle is the biking portion. Most of the durations laid out in the olypmic training plan are in excess of a typical 60 minute spinning class.

How do you get a bike session in that's 141 minutes long if you can't train outside the majority of the time? Do all triathletes spin on their own bikes in the wee hours of the morning at home? Spinning is my one activity that is social with the other spinning groupies and I don't think I can give that up!

2006-12-29 1:30 PM
in reply to: #636656

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Indoor Bike Training?'s
Hi! Welcome to BT.

I do go to spinning classes in the winter. But trust me on this: Only spinning and not riding outside will seriously hurt you. Yes, spinning classes are hard, but they are NOT the same as riding outside. I made the mistake in 2005 of spinning a lot and riding only occassionally, and was really hurting on the bike portion of a sprint tri I did.

When it gets warmer (and light) outside, then get on the bike. You can still be social on a bike -- find a local bike club and go on some group rides. And maybe you can convince some of your spinning class buddies to switch to road bikes in the spring, too.
2006-12-29 3:23 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
I don't, but a lot of people feel avoid going over an hour on a spin bike or trainer.  If you are spinning for an hour 2-3 times per week (plus running and swimming) you are building a decent general fitness level that you can build on once the weather improves and you can ride outside.  Nothing wrong with saving the >1 hour workouts for the road.  Of course, in making these comments I'm making assumptions about your goals for the race.  I'm assuming your goal is just to finish, or finish with a decent time for your fitness level, wherever it is at the time.   If your goal is to be on the podium you are probably going to need to commit to a lot more road and trainer cycling.
2006-12-29 3:51 PM

Champion
South Jersey

I'm not so sure you need to be doing 141-minute rides at this point in the season. Even if you do head out for a 2+ hour ride, you can do that on the weekend (I am assuming the bike training is an issue this time of year because of lack of daylight) and stick to the 60-minute sessions (even less) during the week.

When is your Olympic-distance race anyway?

2006-12-29 5:12 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Trainer rides and more trainer ride.  Use Spinerval dvd's mostly to get me through the rides as it provides a structured workout and the time seems to pass quicker.

Longest trainer ride last winter was 2 hours.

2006-12-29 7:00 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I do the vast majority of my riding on my trainer in the basement after the kids go to bed and doing cycling classes at the YMCA on the weekends. I enjoy the cycling classes because it is a group thing and is very different from that spinning on the trainer, but a good deal of my milage involved spinning and making up interval workouts on the trainer with just my IPOD. However, I would have to say I have become a very proficient climber thanks to those cycling classes (I really don't do hills anywhere else). So if you enjoy them the classes keep doing them. My YMCA offerred back to back classes on Sat mornings, 6-8 weeks of that and you will be more than ready for an OLY. Trust me I used them to train for my Ironman.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor Bike Training?'s Rss Feed