of 11

2007-05-31 7:36 AM
in reply to: #821742

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: TitanIV Group FULL

sparco - 2007-05-30 8:38 AM
1st tri June 30th.  1/3 mile OWS, 13 mile bike, 5K.  Short one.
2nd tri August 11th.  OLY!  Nervous about the OWS.  Need more practice...

Do you have a place you can go for OWS and somone(s) to go with. We are lucky as we have lakes, big river and ocean. We also have two local races that we can do the swim course at. It does help a lot with your confidence, especially when you can get some training when the wind has picked up making it choppy or other adverse circumstances.

One thing that helps me is when the waves in the river are choppy, if I push my head down lower (swim downstream more) it seems like the waves go over me easier versus hitting against my head when I swim normally.

Also, if you haven't seen the oly swim course laid out before, it can be intimidating. The first time I did an oly it really freaked me out. Just realx and keep telling yourself you have done the training and will be able to do it. Once you get past the first 500y or so you should settle down into a smooth swim. Just focus on technique and sighting. Also just focus on getting to the next buouy, don't worry about how far to go.

Edited by TitanIV 2007-05-31 7:41 AM

2007-05-31 7:42 AM
in reply to: #821755

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
moreland007 - 2007-05-30 8:50 AM

Thinking about doing another sprint this Sunday.  It is in the same place the HIM I'm thinking about doing in September is held.

Anyone have a good HIM plan for someone who can't do run training??? 

Well obviosuly it would require lots of biking. Is it ok for your knee for heavy training on the bike?

2007-05-31 7:44 AM
in reply to: #822404

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

tntexpres - 2007-05-30 1:27 PM First tri coming up July 29th - XTerra First Coast Off-Road Tri - I am registered so no backing out now! I can't wait - I think this off road stuff maybe just up my alley. I enjoy the off road - trail runs and rides much more than the road stuff. It also gives me an added training element - most of my road rides/runs are on flat pavement/concrete - not many hills here in NE Florida - but the off road gives me some hills/sand/brush etc to break up the monotony. Anyway - I'll post a race report afterwards - until then I'll take on the encouragement & advice on my logs I can get!

Sounds fun! My buddy did the Jacksonville race several years ago. I have the same probelm as you for hills. Do you have a causeway or bridge nearby. When I do hill training it is at one of the three causeways over the Indian river. You have to do repeats though.

2007-05-31 7:47 AM
in reply to: #639066

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
For all my races I ahve a checklist for my stuff. I have attached the file I use. You should add the things you need/use. Day before race I lay out my transition in the garage. Then I gather everything on the list. I put a diagonal line through each item's check box. I bring into the garage. Then I put it in my bag in an order easy to lay back out at transition and also put other things I might need first on top. When an item goes in the car, I cross the item out with a dark marker. That way I know I am ready to go in the morning.

Attachments
----------------
TriCheckList.xls (17KB - 132 downloads)
2007-05-31 8:55 AM
in reply to: #823637

User image

Veteran
Independence, KY
TitanIV - 2007-05-31 8:42 AM
moreland007 - 2007-05-30 8:50 AM

Thinking about doing another sprint this Sunday. It is in the same place the HIM I'm thinking about doing in September is held.

Anyone have a good HIM plan for someone who can't do run training???

Well obviosuly it would require lots of biking. Is it ok for your knee for heavy training on the bike?

Biking and swimming are the two activities my Dr. has recommended for me.  Of course he gave me the "let pain be your guide" speech about how much I should be biking.  So that's what I'll do.  I'll try to stick to a schedule but if it hurts (bad hurt) I'll slow up the training.  For run training I'm pretty much stuck to running in the pool or on an eliptical.  I'm ok with that but I miss running outside.  I am only going to run on race days or on softer surfaces like trails if I can find some.

2007-05-31 11:30 AM
in reply to: #823629

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
TitanIV - 2007-05-31 7:36 AM

sparco - 2007-05-30 8:38 AM
1st tri June 30th.  1/3 mile OWS, 13 mile bike, 5K.  Short one.
2nd tri August 11th.  OLY!  Nervous about the OWS.  Need more practice...

Do you have a place you can go for OWS and somone(s) to go with. We are lucky as we have lakes, big river and ocean. We also have two local races that we can do the swim course at. It does help a lot with your confidence, especially when you can get some training when the wind has picked up making it choppy or other adverse circumstances.

One thing that helps me is when the waves in the river are choppy, if I push my head down lower (swim downstream more) it seems like the waves go over me easier versus hitting against my head when I swim normally.

Also, if you haven't seen the oly swim course laid out before, it can be intimidating. The first time I did an oly it really freaked me out. Just realx and keep telling yourself you have done the training and will be able to do it. Once you get past the first 500y or so you should settle down into a smooth swim. Just focus on technique and sighting. Also just focus on getting to the next buouy, don't worry about how far to go.

Thanks Cameron, great advice.  I do have a place to do OWSs.  It's actually at a beach where they start a local triathlon.  What I typically do is swim just outside the guarded swim area.  That way if I have any 'freak out' issues, I'm usually only about 15 yds or so from being able to stand up.  The guarded beach area is 78 yds long, so it allows me quite a bit of swim time before I have to turn around.

You're absolutely right.  Usually, if I can get through the 1st 350 yds or so, my breathing settles out and I'm good to go.  It helped in my last sprint tri to warm up for about 200 yds.  Great advice...

2007-05-31 5:01 PM

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI

I'm loving the checklist!! Thank you!

My first race is June 16th, and now that I'm registered for my 2nd Tri in August I'm less stressed about this one, and using it as I should as a first timer (a stepping stone to future races).  It's a 500m swim, 20k bike and 5k run.

Any suggestions for training/nutrition the week before the race? 

2007-05-31 5:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Yea Cameron - I do have the intracoastal bridge onto the island - fairly good sized bridge I guess - maybe 1/2 mile from one side to the other and a height of .......75-100 ft?? Not sure of the height. Only thing is I am a little timid.......I mean scared as hell of traffic coming from behind me at that speed. My rides so far are on side roads with speed limits of 35-40mph - the speed limit over the bridge is 55 and probably most people are running 60-70 mph. Kinda makes me "pucker".........

But I do see people riding and running over it occasionally - guess I am just gonna have to get over it at some point. Which brings me to a question - I am sure that as a kid I was taught to ride on the same side of the road as oncoming traffic - easier for them to see me and definitely easier for me to see them - but from what I read/am told nowdays that seems incorrect. How do you guys ride? Anyone know what the law is? Did someone just steer me wrong as a kid?
2007-06-01 7:12 AM
in reply to: #823788

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

moreland007 - 2007-05-31 9:55 AM
TitanIV - 2007-05-31 8:42 AM
Biking and swimming are the two activities my Dr. has recommended for me.  Of course he gave me the "let pain be your guide" speech about how much I should be biking.  So that's what I'll do.  I'll try to stick to a schedule but if it hurts (bad hurt) I'll slow up the training.  For run training I'm pretty much stuck to running in the pool or on an eliptical.  I'm ok with that but I miss running outside.  I am only going to run on race days or on softer surfaces like trails if I can find some.

I hear you about running outside! Make sure your bike fit is good also. A bad fit, especially in relation to seat and pedal position can cause knee pain also.

2007-06-01 7:14 AM
in reply to: #824161

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
sparco - 2007-05-31 12:30 PM
TitanIV - 2007-05-31 7:36 AM

Thanks Cameron, great advice.  I do have a place to do OWSs.  It's actually at a beach where they start a local triathlon.  What I typically do is swim just outside the guarded swim area.  That way if I have any 'freak out' issues, I'm usually only about 15 yds or so from being able to stand up.  The guarded beach area is 78 yds long, so it allows me quite a bit of swim time before I have to turn around.

You're absolutely right.  Usually, if I can get through the 1st 350 yds or so, my breathing settles out and I'm good to go.  It helped in my last sprint tri to warm up for about 200 yds.  Great advice...

They have beaches in MN :-) Sounds like a pretty good place to practice. You can do some intervals and just go back and forth for practicing longer swims.

2007-06-01 7:24 AM
in reply to: #824747

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
jhanton - 2007-05-31 6:01 PM

I'm loving the checklist!! Thank you!

My first race is June 16th, and now that I'm registered for my 2nd Tri in August I'm less stressed about this one, and using it as I should as a first timer (a stepping stone to future races).  It's a 500m swim, 20k bike and 5k run.

Any suggestions for training/nutrition the week before the race? 

That's a good attitude for your first race! Have fun.

Nutrition for a sprint is not too critical. Make sure you hydrate well. Especially the three days before the race. You will be training less, so cut back your calories a little that week. I tend to have a spaghetti dinner night before. Not much spices or meat though. Morning of race a doubleshot to wake up and sip some gatorade. I used to drink a red bull about 15' prior to race, but I think it was jacking me up too much before the swim elevating the HR too much and making me go out too fast. Last race I had a gell 15' prior to race and that seemed better.

During the race I will drink gatorade from the aero bottle on the bike and take a gel the last mile of the bike so I don't have to worry about it during transition or starting the run.

For last week you want to taper, but also keep up your speed. Here is a sample for a race week from a sprint plan:

M: S-20' B-30' R-20' For each slowly build up to race pace and then cool back down. Not necessarily a brick, maybe combine 2
T: S-20'
W: off
T: R-15' WU 10' and 5' at race pace
F: S-15' B20' R 15'
S:  off
S:  race

2007-06-01 7:31 AM
in reply to: #824792

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

tntexpres - 2007-05-31 6:48 PM Yea Cameron - I do have the intracoastal bridge onto the island - fairly good sized bridge I guess - maybe 1/2 mile from one side to the other and a height of .......75-100 ft?? Not sure of the height. Only thing is I am a little timid.......I mean scared as hell of traffic coming from behind me at that speed. My rides so far are on side roads with speed limits of 35-40mph - the speed limit over the bridge is 55 and probably most people are running 60-70 mph. Kinda makes me "pucker"......... But I do see people riding and running over it occasionally - guess I am just gonna have to get over it at some point. Which brings me to a question - I am sure that as a kid I was taught to ride on the same side of the road as oncoming traffic - easier for them to see me and definitely easier for me to see them - but from what I read/am told nowdays that seems incorrect. How do you guys ride? Anyone know what the law is? Did someone just steer me wrong as a kid?

That does sound a little scary. Our causeways have a big emergency lane. If not much room and cars going that fast I would be a little leery too. Maybe just once a week or so go early morning and later in evening when less traffic and do repeats.

As a kid riding around the neighborhood that was probably a good idea since kids don't tend to look back much before crossing lanes. But now you are basically the same as a car on the road. You MUST ride with traffic and stay over in your lane without riding so close to the edge that any little pot hole makes you swerve back into traffic. This is the law. People will also yell at you to get off the road and onto the sidewalk. It is also against the law to ride at speed on the sidewalk unless a special sidewalk/trail for cyclists. I try to stay on roads with a bike lane or a road along the river with cyclists warning signs and little traffic. One of the reasons I can't commute to work is because a 5 mile stretch where the roads are narrow with no bike lane and lots of traffic. When a policeman came within 6" of me I know I had to give it up :-)

Great question! Don't be afraid to ask stuff like this. We all had to ask at some point.

2007-06-01 4:15 PM
in reply to: #825162

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI
Sounds great. Thanks for the advice
2007-06-25 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Well, I am back from vacation! Had a blast. Did some running in the mountains, mountain biked Unicoi gap in North GA and whitewater rafting. Also lots of walking!
2007-06-25 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Some of you had some races! Let us know how they went!
2007-06-29 5:40 PM
in reply to: #858434

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI

Swim (including a 150yd freak out! I will never start front and center again)

12m 25s 500.00 yards 2m 29s /100 yards

Bike (felt great, last hill was steep, but made it

43m 23s 12.40 miles 17.15 miles/hr

Run (legs were really heavy)

33m 08s 3.20 miles 10m 21s /mile
Overall very fun, and I'm hooked!

2007-07-05 9:55 AM
in reply to: #866725

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
jhanton - 2007-06-29 6:40 PM

Swim (including a 150yd freak out! I will never start front and center again)

12m 25s 500.00 yards 2m 29s /100 yards

Bike (felt great, last hill was steep, but made it

43m 23s 12.40 miles 17.15 miles/hr

Run (legs were really heavy)

33m 08s 3.20 miles 10m 21s /mile

Overall very fun, and I'm hooked!

Awesome race Jackie! Sorry took so long to comment. Yes swim can be scary. Do like you said and next race start outside and back. As for the water in T2, drink a lot on the bike. When you get aero bars and an aero bottle this is much easier. Think of the bike as your rolling smorgasbord :-) Not as important on sprint races, but nice to be hydrated starting the run. If you use gels, also take your gel the last couple miles of the bike and drink some more. Then you are ready to start the run!

Great job hanging in there for the rough swim and hard run! You are now a triathlete! Congrats!!!

2007-08-01 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Independence, KY

I just wanted to check in with everyone to see if you're still alive and how you are doing.

I in the midst of my peak weeks of training for my HIM at the end of September and wanted to see if others have their A race on their minds now? 

Cameron - I know you are doing Miami Man in November.  How's the training going for that?  My brother is doing that race also (mykle15). 

2007-08-01 2:11 PM
in reply to: #909335

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
moreland007 - 2007-08-01 8:29 AM

I just wanted to check in with everyone to see if you're still alive and how you are doing.

I in the midst of my peak weeks of training for my HIM at the end of September and wanted to see if others have their A race on their minds now? 

Cameron - I know you are doing Miami Man in November.  How's the training going for that?  My brother is doing that race also (mykle15).

Wow!  Awesome Kevin...HIM this season...pretty unbelievable considering you started this year with a busted knee...I'm shooting for an HIM next season...Cameron, will MiamiMan be an Oly or HIM for you?

O.K., embarassed to say, I haven't checked in to this thread since end of May...

And also, I never reported (at least here) on my races for 2007 (here it comes, shameless plug):

Year started with running races:

Race:
Securian Frozen 5k and Half Marathon
Race: Get in Gear 10K
Race: Fargo Marathon

All 3 just within seconds or minutes (O.K., 9 minutes) of a PR...was starting to get a complex...of course I was spending more time in the pool than running this winter...

Big payola came at the start of tri season:

Race: MinneMan Sprint
Race: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Sprint Relay

PR at Minneman, swim PR at Lifetime...

Now for the biggie...my 1st Oly this year...

Race: Turtleman Triathlon

Bike and run should be fine...although my swimming's improved, I always (unjustifiably) worry about the swim...10 days away...

Hope to end my season with a tri cooldown...potentially 1 more sprint before getting back to running mode...

St. Croix Valley Triathlon: Sprint Course (Triathlon)
9/1/2007 in Hudson, WI , Minnesota
RaceLink (1 Members) - RaceReports

Square Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance (Triathlon)
9/8/2007 in Stillwater , Minnesota
RaceLink (7 Members) - RaceReports
StartThread

Good luck all as we wind down the race season...of course all y'all south of the Mason Dixon, your tri season probably continues into January...about the time I do my Frozen 5K/Half Mary...

2007-08-01 3:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Ok - I did complete my first triathlon this past Sunday - Xterra First Coast Off Road Triathlon. Although I didn't do near as well as I had hoped - I did finish!

Had an Olympic in mind for the end of August as my A race this year - but unsure if I could make the distances ...after my race this weekend. If anyone cares to read my logs/race report and give me their 2 cents - please do! This olympic coming up is the very first triathlon I ever experienced....I volunteered at last years race and was so caught up in the energy I pledged to enter this years race. That has been a goal for the past year. Life has gotten in the way several times over the past year so my training hasn't been what is necessary I am afraid to complete this race. I do have almost 4 weeks....hmmmmm......thoughts?

2007-08-01 4:03 PM
in reply to: #910118

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

tntexpres - 2007-08-01 3:29 PM Ok - I did complete my first triathlon this past Sunday - Xterra First Coast Off Road Triathlon. Although I didn't do near as well as I had hoped - I did finish! Had an Olympic in mind for the end of August as my A race this year - but unsure if I could make the distances ...after my race this weekend. If anyone cares to read my logs/race report and give me their 2 cents - please do! This olympic coming up is the very first triathlon I ever experienced....I volunteered at last years race and was so caught up in the energy I pledged to enter this years race. That has been a goal for the past year. Life has gotten in the way several times over the past year so my training hasn't been what is necessary I am afraid to complete this race. I do have almost 4 weeks....hmmmmm......thoughts?

First off...YOU'RE A TRIATHLETE!!!  After reading your blog and race report, all I can say is, you define COURAGE man...

Question: Which tri is it?  If your first tri was an ocean swim, off-road bike and trail run, a lake swim, road ride and road run Oly might be just a little more effort than an off-road sprint race...

You might be surprised...I biked and ran VERY LITTLE before my last sprint tri and PRed.  Sometimes our bodies are capable of more than we give them credit for...

2007-08-03 1:25 PM
in reply to: #909335

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
moreland007 - 2007-08-01 9:29 AM

I have actually switched to marathon training. I do keep changing my mind what I want to do when I grow up every week or so though :-) So, no MiamiMan this year. Plus all my buddies had backed out for this year.

Planning on mary training and then in Jan see about tri training again for the Tri-America long course in April.

2007-08-03 1:28 PM
in reply to: #909991

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

sparco - 2007-08-01 3:11 PM  Good luck all as we wind down the race season...of course all y'all south of the Mason Dixon, your tri season probably continues into January...about the time I do my Frozen 5K/Half Mary...

I was going to say this is our OFF season :-) It is so hot that there isn't that many races compared to spring and winter.  Looks like you had a great season so far.

2007-08-03 1:34 PM
in reply to: #910118

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

tntexpres - 2007-08-01 4:29 PM Ok - I did complete my first triathlon this past Sunday - Xterra First Coast Off Road Triathlon. Although I didn't do near as well as I had hoped - I did finish! Had an Olympic in mind for the end of August as my A race this year - but unsure if I could make the distances ...after my race this weekend. If anyone cares to read my logs/race report and give me their 2 cents - please do! This olympic coming up is the very first triathlon I ever experienced....I volunteered at last years race and was so caught up in the energy I pledged to enter this years race. That has been a goal for the past year. Life has gotten in the way several times over the past year so my training hasn't been what is necessary I am afraid to complete this race. I do have almost 4 weeks....hmmmmm......thoughts?

Well after your 7m run yesterday, I say go for it. Just plan on an easy bike. If you try to do a good bike the run can really hurt! Just plan on a fun race without worrying too much about time.

2007-08-04 8:02 AM
in reply to: #910179

User image

Veteran
The olympic is the HOT! ...Hammerhead Olympic Triathlon and at the end of August believe me it is HOT! I am feeling like as much as I wanna do this, and I KNOW I could do the distance ( everyone may be gone by the time I finish! - positive thinkin - right?) I am thinking about looking for a race maybe another month or so out - late Sept or Oct maybe. Lots going on in life right now that is demanding my attention - anyway!!

Sal -
Question: Which tri is it? If your first tri was an ocean swim, off-road bike and trail run, a lake swim, road ride and road run Oly might be just a little more effort than an off-road sprint race...

Question though - I can't tell by your comment - are you saying that it might be BARELY a little more effort or a LOT more effort? Thinking you are saying that it might not be much more effort and that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TitanIV Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 11