General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hello All and Happy New Year! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-02 3:09 PM

New user
MN
Subject: Hello All and Happy New Year!
Hi everyone!

I just found this website and wanted to introduce myself. I plan on doing my first triathlon in 2007 (thinking of the Lifetime Ftiness in July). I'm pretty much starting at the proverbial square one, so it will definitely be a challenge, but one I am looking forward to.

Right now, I would consider myself an OK runner, sub-par biker and tragic swimmer.
I've run a few marathons in the past; however, it's been a few years. I had a surgery about a year and a half ago that derailed much of my training, and I'm just starting to feel like I'm getting my fitness back. (It's amazing how fast you lose cardiovascular strength!)

Anyhow, I won't babble too much now, but I was glad to find this site, as I will need a lot of advice and support. My first goal is to just develop a decent beginning program that won't kill me, and I hope to get into the pool sometime within the next week (once I can shake this cold). It will be the first time I've tried swimming in a few years (gulp! like I said, I have a long road ahead of me), but I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

I'm sure I will be checking in on these forums quite often, and welcome any encouragement and advice I can get from all of you experienced athletes!

~ Kristin

2007-01-02 4:03 PM
in reply to: #639689

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Subject: RE: Hello All and Happy New Year!
Welcome and good luck!  There are plenty of us around who had "tragic" beginnings as swimmers and are doing just fine today !  You'll find lots of helpful people and information on BT!
2007-01-02 7:49 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Welcome! 

(thinking of the Lifetime Ftiness in July)...Right now, I would consider myself an OK runner, sub-par biker and tragic swimmer. I've run a few marathons in the past

Too funny!  Looks like we come from similar backgrounds, although I grew up biking lots.  Did 2 marathons before I even considered a tri, I swam like a boat anchor (could barely swim 1 length) and was terrified of open water.  If you're essentially a 'non-swimmer', check out http://www.totalimmersion.net/, great for 'beginners', not as helpful to experienced swimmers.

I was glad to find this site, as I will need a lot of advice and support. My first goal is to just develop a decent beginning program that won't kill me

You've come to the right place.  Folks on this site, ESPECIALLY the MN crew are very helpful/supportive.  Check out this site for the training plans.  There's several free plans to get you started.

Good luck this season!

2007-01-03 7:42 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hello there, and welcome! It's great to have another Minnesotan among us! There are all kinds of us here to answer any q's you have. What part of MN are you in, if you don't mind my asking?

Have you checked out the training plans on this site yet? They are good and there are several beginner options. Best of luck to you!

2007-01-03 9:15 AM

Welcome. For a good general education on triathlon I'd suggest a beginner's book like Triathlon 101 or something similar. It'll go a long way by just laying out the basics for you. Other than that just fire away questions here
2007-01-03 10:09 AM

User image

Elite
Welcome to the site. Good luck with your training. Minnesota has so many really good triathlons to choose as your first. If you are thinking of doing Lifetime Fitness for your first that is great. I'm sure you will love it. I don't know if I would reccomend it too people as a first triathlon though. That is just my opinion and please don't look at this as bashing the triathlon. It's just that it is really big, and a lot of time before the race is spent sitting around in the blazing sun waiting to start. Also very expensive. Once again, welcome.

2007-01-03 10:20 AM

New user
MN
Thanks for the warm welcomes!

I live in New Hope, and have a membership at Liftetime Fitness, so I will be doing a lot of my training there. Yesterday I poked around quite a bit on this site and found a few programs that I think might work well. I find it interesting that they calulate the training by time and not distance. Is this common? The program I'm looking at is a 20-month program, so that would bring me to around the time of the Lifetime tri.

As for the swimming, I definitely am going to need some professional instruction and I'm just debating which way to go. I looked at that Total Immersion site (thanks for the link!) and it looks very interesting and might be a good option. I also thought of possibly trying out the private/semi-private lessons they offer at Liftetime; however, I'm not sure what kind of coaches they use, or the approach they use.

Do any of you belong to an organized club for tri's? Come spring, I'd like to find some people to bike/swim with, but since I am a beginner I'll need a slower paced group.
2007-01-03 10:43 AM
in reply to: #640503

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

I belong to the Minnesota Triathlon Club, www.mntriclub.com. I'm not a super active member, but it's worth the $25 in my opinion. They have organized rides, runs, and swims, and are actually offering a couple of Dave Cameron swim clinics soon. I have been to the group open water swims (in Lac Lavon in Burnsville) before, and all ability levels are represented. It's an excellent way to get some open water swimming experience before a race if needed.

I haven't been to one of their sponsored rides, but from what I understand, they also have all ability levels and make sure that no one gets stranded by having an out and back course. I keep meaning to try one, but just haven't.

2007-01-03 12:53 PM

User image

Elite
I'm also in the MN tri club and would 2nd everything just said in the above post.
2007-01-03 4:20 PM
in reply to: #640503

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

I live in New Hope...I find it interesting that they calculate the training by time and not distance. Is this common? The program I'm looking at is a 20-month program, so that would bring me to around the time of the Lifetime tri...I looked at that Total Immersion site (thanks for the link!) and it looks very interesting and might be a good option...

Not too familiar with the New Hope crowd, or if there's one (I live south of the river, workout in Edina, and work in Golden Valley), but you can do a search for users in the area (US, Minnesota).  There's several active bloggers in the area (St. Louis Park, Maple Grove).

It's pretty common for beginner programs to base training on time vs. distance.  They do that with beginner programs on the Runner's World site (www.runnersworld.com).  Upgrading to silver membership will allow you to download detailed training plans (not a paid endorsement! ).  Each day has a specific workout and goals. 

I agree with the previous comments about Lifetime.  Check out Autumn's famous polls to get a list of favorite MN races: winter/spring, spring/summer.

In regards to Total Immersion (TI), there are 2 guys in my running/tri group who were able to get TI lessons right at Lifetime Fitness.  I'll ask them about it...

2007-01-03 9:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN

I'm one of the friendly Minnesotans in Maple Grove and I happen to swim in New Hope.  I can tell you a little about the LTF Masters group in Plymouth from my observations, if you're interested.  I am in a Masters group right now that is largely uncoached - so what we really are is a (small) group of people who swim in the pool at the same time, with roughly the same workout, and encourage one another.  Let me know if you want more info.

This year I am dedicating myself to mostly smaller races.  I have found over the last two years that I like them best.  Haven't done Lifetime, but I do have some small race recommendations if you need some!

2007-01-05 7:56 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
welcome!
2007-01-05 7:53 PM

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Welcome, Kristin! I did my first two tris last summer. This site is FULL of helpful information and people!
2007-01-11 7:03 PM

User image

Twin Cities, MN
Hi!

I too am new to this site and relatively new to triathlons. I completed two last summer, but have definite areas for improvement. I recently moved to Golden Valley and work out at the LTF in New Hope. I need to get back in the pool in the next few weeks. I'd love to go on training rides this spring or just meet up at the gym.

Kim
2007-01-11 10:02 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Kristin, looks like another triathlete in Golden Valley/New Hope.  Welcome Kim...
2007-01-11 11:11 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Welcome!

2007-01-12 1:19 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
welcome!
2007-01-13 12:21 PM

New user
MN
Thanks all!

Looks like this is a great group! I'm still trying to decide which way to go with the swimming. I really feel like I need to take a lesson before I start swimming regularly (I plan to get in the pool here shortly, but it's not going to do me much good when I don't know how to do any of the strokes properly). I think I might look into getting some private or semi-private at LTF. If anyone is a member of Lifetime and would like to join me, let me know!! I'd like to start late-January/early-February.

Kim-- that's great! I would love to partner up for some workouts come spring. We'll definitely keep in touch. I should warn you, I'm not very fast, but if you don't mind, I would welcome the company!

Kristin

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hello All and Happy New Year! Rss Feed