General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training opinion needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-12 8:46 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Training opinion needed
Ok, so I have been training now since March and lost a pretty good amount of weight doing it (35lbs).

But what has happened to me is that I have become addicted to working out.....seriously, I want to do something all the time. The problem my body seems to be having with this all is that it doesnt necessarily have the same enthusiasm as my mind does about this and lately I have been really pooped out (I actually took today off).

Question is this, I currently work out 6 days a week....alternating run, bikes, swims and some two a days. Would I be better off to do two a days x5 days a week and take 2 days off? All the tri programs I see have two days off but I dont see how I can get the amount of work in that I want to in only 5 days. Any suggestions for a newb would be helpful.

2004-08-12 8:55 AM
in reply to: #46755

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
Subject: RE: Training opinion needed
I generally do about 7-9 workouts a week, so some have to be two a days...try to have one two a day day be a 'brick' workout, where you are giving a harder effort on both disciplines...have that be focused training...on the other two a days, have it be your easier training days, in each discipline (this will avoid burnout/injury)...I try (not always successfully) to have two 'rest days' where there is little or no training (sometimes a 'rest' day is a 3-5 mile run)...not so much for the training aspect (although it is necessary for recovery), but for the 'life' aspect...giving 2-3 hours a day to the sport, on top of work, you sometimes end up neglecting the other aspects of life (cooking dinner, shopping for a new bike, painting house, telling wife how much you love her, etc.) so to have at least one day a week to focus on 'life' allows you to go guilt free for a few days...thats what I have found anyways...good luck

d
2004-08-12 9:25 AM
in reply to: #46755

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee
Subject: RE: Training opinion needed
I think that the important thing is to listen to your body which you seem to be doing. It may also help to mix things up a little - it sounds like you stick to biking, running, and swimming...maybe try some yoga, or a exercise class, hiking...something that is still active but gives your body a little change (and maybe a little rest).

If there is some one or something in your life that you are neglecting - see what they would like to do and remeber even things like cleaning the house keep you active!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training opinion needed Rss Feed