General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Member from San Diego, California Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-03 10:50 PM

Subject: New Member from San Diego, California
My name is Ryan and I am a new member from the San Diego area. I am thinking of using the 22-week program "taking you from the couch to the finishline" that I read in the articles section. From the very little I know about the sport, it seems that a Sprint would best fit my goals for a first event. I am very goal oriented and like the idea of working out while participating in three sports that take me outside and away from repeat treadmill activity. To be honest, there is a Sprint event in Encinitas, Ca. in the middle of May and while I do not want to push myself too hard, I would sure like my first race to be close to home and comfortable. I would have the ability to actually train on the course over the next several months! What are your thoughts on this? I figure that starting fresh on Mon the 8th would give me 18 weeks to train from scratch. Is this asking too much of my body? I do not want to over-commit myself. I look forward to chatting with everyone and hope to get more comfortable with the training log and other features available here.

2007-01-03 11:01 PM
in reply to: #641594

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: New Member from San Diego, California
Welcome to BT

There are actually quite a few Sprint Triathlons in the area throughout the Summer that will surely fit into your schedule. (Encinitas, Carlsbad, Silver Strand, Solana Beach, Misson Bay)

Log some workouts and dive in.

I hope you find this site as helpful as I have
2007-01-04 9:58 AM
in reply to: #641598

Thanks for your response. I also noticed the races you mentioned after digging a little deaper online last night. I am going to look at the training log section and try to get a handle on using it today. I plan on starting my workout on Monday. Do you have a local pool that you use for your swim workout? I am not quite sure how/where to look. Because of a long commute and long workday, I would like to get one of my workouts done in the early morning and the other in the evening.
2007-01-04 11:35 AM
in reply to: #642022

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
I have a membership at 24 Hour Fitness. (They have a pool and are super cheap)

Some other Gyms in your area, PureFitness and Frogs for example are quite a bit more expensive but offer some really posh facilities and even coaching.

You might check out the YMCA in Encinitas on Saxony. (Where the Skate Park is) They have an Indoor/Outdoor pool and I think also Master's Swim Sessions.

Also, if you Join the SD Tri Club, they have regular swim workouts but I don't remember where. (In addition to OWS workouts at the Cove)

Sounds like your diving right in

2007-01-04 9:55 PM
in reply to: #641594

User image

Welcome to BT!!!!

Without knowing your current physical health/abilities it's hard to answer but 18 weeks is enough time for a lot of improvement!!!!

One thing I would suggest as you begin your training, is it is better to undertrain than it is to vertrain. If you feel like you are run down and fatigued from your workouts it's bets to back off or take a rest day.

Good Luck and Enjoy!!!

2007-01-05 12:39 PM
in reply to: #642937

User image

Elite
San Diego

Welcome to BT.

Another thing to consider is Encinitas has some pretty good swells and current at times. Since you are from that area you should be OK with your swimming in those conditions. If you are unsure, you might want to try the Spring Sprint to start with. It is in the bay vs. OW

Again, good luck and welcome

Tom

2007-01-05 4:45 PM
in reply to: #643652

Thanks for the pointer. I am an avid surfer and not afraid to train with some other athletes at my begining level in the Open Water. The Encinitas Spring Sprint is exactly what I was thinking for a first race. I am going to attend a beginners meeting with the Tri-Club of San Diego on Monday night. Seems they have alot of group work-outs and support in all three areas.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Member from San Diego, California Rss Feed