BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2007-07-02 10:47 AM
in reply to: #867723

User image

Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL
Nice job Rich! Way to get one in the books, feels great doesn't it? Thinking about doing any other ones?

2007-07-02 11:53 AM
in reply to: #645139

User image

Veteran

Thanks Adam, it does feel good.

I'm considering my next tri now. I have a 1/2 mara on July 15th and then will look at the Tri's for the late July and August time. Will let you know.

2007-07-02 12:37 PM

User image

Good job Rich. I can't imagine having a running race the day after a tri. Yuck!

Well, I got my second tri under my belt yesterday. If anyone wants, you can read my race report. If not, here's the summary. Run time was extrememely bad for me. I forgot my race belt in T2 and had to turn around and get it. I would guess that added 5 minutes to my time.

Overall
68/205

Age Group
4/10

Swim
67/205, 6/10

Bike
50/205, 2/10

Run
112/205, 5/10
2007-07-02 12:43 PM

User image

Oh yeah. One more thing. I have plans on finishing my season with a race in November. The distances are as follows. Swim = 0.93 mile, Bike = 40.4 mile, Run = 9.3 mile.

Up to this point I have been following the free training programs on beginner triathlete, but this is an in between distance (not quite 1/2 IM, but longer than OLY). Does anyone out there have a rule of thumb for the maximum distance that you typically train in each event? For instance, if the bike is 40 miles, should I make sure I can ride 60 miles? And if the run is 9.3, should I be able to run 13?

Open to suggestions. I was forcasting my training for the rest of the year, and it looks like I could be overtraining if I keep my current routine up. Right now I work out a week, increase by 10% over the next two, then reduce by 40% on the fourth week. Then I start over at my last 10% increase.

Later,

Benson
2007-07-02 1:12 PM
in reply to: #869002

Searcy, AR
DscoNfrno - 2007-07-02 12:43 PM

Oh yeah. One more thing. I have plans on finishing my season with a race in November. The distances are as follows. Swim = 0.93 mile, Bike = 40.4 mile, Run = 9.3 mile.

Up to this point I have been following the free training programs on beginner triathlete, but this is an in between distance (not quite 1/2 IM, but longer than OLY). Does anyone out there have a rule of thumb for the maximum distance that you typically train in each event? For instance, if the bike is 40 miles, should I make sure I can ride 60 miles? And if the run is 9.3, should I be able to run 13?

Open to suggestions. I was forcasting my training for the rest of the year, and it looks like I could be overtraining if I keep my current routine up. Right now I work out a week, increase by 10% over the next two, then reduce by 40% on the fourth week. Then I start over at my last 10% increase.

Later,

Benson

Is that the Woodlands outside of Houston?
2007-07-02 1:36 PM
in reply to: #869061

User image

dustyken - 2007-07-02 1:12 PM

DscoNfrno - 2007-07-02 12:43 PM

Later,

Benson

Is that the Woodlands outside of Houston?

That's the one, or the One O One I should say

2007-07-02 1:55 PM

Searcy, AR
I just got a post card for that one in the mail this past weekend. Looks interesting.
2007-07-13 6:55 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Hope all is well.... Haven't heard from anyone in a while!! TOO BUSY RACING I HOPE?! HAPPY FRIDAY, and HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GOOD WEEKEND!
2007-07-15 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran

Well, things are going fairly well. See my race report for the Brampton 1/2 Marathon "Run for the Rose". I completed it, which was my goal. An considering no training for it, I am pretty happy.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

2007-07-16 6:34 PM
in reply to: #886413

User image

Pro
richtherunner - 2007-07-15 11:14 AM

Well, things are going fairly well. See my race report for the Brampton 1/2 Marathon "Run for the Rose". I completed it, which was my goal. An considering no training for it, I am pretty happy.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Great JOB! Weather looks like it was perfect for this race as well? Question is.. Did you get the ROSE?
2007-07-18 6:04 AM

User image

Veteran

Didn't get the Rose, but got a nice medal though.

Well, now I have committed to my first Olympic distance Tri. The Wasaga Beach on September 8th. I just signed up yesterday and now I'm starting to worry. I think I'll get her done, but will probably be last though. Oh well, I'm giving 'er a go anyway. 7 weeks of training to go, so this Sunday I am doing a swim, bike and run practice at Lake Ontario (will be cold). And I also signed up for the Toronto Island Sprint Tri on August 18 as a guage of how I am coming along training wise.

Should be a fun couple of months.

2007-07-21 2:54 PM
in reply to: #890648

User image

Well...took the first spill on the bike today. A little gravel on a road under construction took my bike out to my left. Road rash all up my right leg, the worst on the thigh and hip. Skinned up my hands, the right one pretty bad, digging out a half inch piece of gravel out of the heel of it. Skinned up my right arm pretty good too. Decided to go to doc so he could look at my hand since its going to be my living as a chiropractor. Ended up getting cleaned up pretty well and got a couple stitches for the gouge in my forearm...Pain isn't too bad, the not training for a couple days will be. Have fun out there on the roads and in the pool, I'm jealous!

I'll post some pics (unless somebody objects) tonight after I change my dressings...

Adam
2007-07-21 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran

Sorry to hear about your spill Adam. I guess it happens to all of us sometime. I have had one minor spill, so I'm pretty sure my big one is coming. Hopefully I'll take it as well as you seem to be.

Keep busy and enjoy the little bit of rest.

2007-07-22 9:29 AM

User image

Here are some night of pics:
...moral of the story, stay on top of your bike

Edited by adam.gentzler 2007-07-22 10:59 AM

(bike crash 015 paint.JPG)

(bike crash 010 paint.JPG)

(bike crash 011 paint.JPG)

(bike crash 009 paint.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
bike crash 015 paint.JPG (18KB - 36 downloads)
bike crash 010 paint.JPG (12KB - 35 downloads)
bike crash 011 paint.JPG (10KB - 35 downloads)
bike crash 009 paint.JPG (15KB - 46 downloads)
2007-07-23 6:23 AM

User image

Veteran

Ouch!

Yesterday I had a blow out on my bike. At about 20 minutes out the front went. No spare tube or repair kit, so had to walk back. That'll teach me eh. I'll be getting a couple of spares and repair it today from my LBS.

2007-07-23 8:54 AM

User image

Yowsers! That looks like that hurt. I imagine you'll be staying out of the pool for a little while too.

I couldn't help but notice your t-shirt. Do you happen to go to GA Tech? I'm a Tech grad, May '02, Chem E.

2007-07-23 11:30 AM

User image

Pro
GOOD LORD ADAM??? My wife would say... GOOD THING YOU PUT YOUR HANDS DOWN! I always seem to forget this.... Hope you heel quickly and nicely.. Maybe a good time to build your running miles?! Hang in there... Hope everyone had a great weekend.

I did my 1st race of the year (wife and I relayed- We have done races for almost 8 years, and never tried a relay! We had a blast). She did the swim and bike (olympic distance), and I did the run.... WE WON THE RELAY DIVISION! 1st place. We had a fun day!
2007-07-23 9:27 PM

User image

Not fun, but I learned a lesson thats for sure. Yeah, my GT pride is showin through. I didn't attend there, my Dad did though and I was born in Atlanta, lived in married student housing for a couple years. I've been a proud supporter all my life!

I won't be in the pool for awhile, and it cancelled my plans for the stoneman tri this weekend (I was going to register as soon as I got back from the unfortunate ride...guess it wasn't meant to be). But I will increase my running miles as you mentioned...I'm verbally contracted into doing a half marathon in september...guess this is a good time to put some miles in. I'll probably do one, possibly two more tris this season and then a half marathon or two.

this endurance stuff is addicting....

What does everyone else's competition/race schedules look like?

Adam

One more thing, tell me what you think of this: In order to get my Dad back into shape I told him we should do a sprint distance relay. He's toying w/ it since I'd swim and my bro would run. Well my Dad rides (occaisonally) a '84 schwinn. What do you think about an 80's theme for our team? i.e. all decked out in authentic 80's wear courtesy of thrift shops? I think it sounds pretttttty sweet
2007-07-24 10:33 AM

User image

Pro
Adam.. Sounds like you are right on w/ your dad. The key is to make it enjoyable for him. I made the mistake a few years back of talking my dad into climbing Mount St. Helens w/ me and a couple friends.... He didn't talk to me for a couple days after, and has yet to go back. Sell him on the FAMILY FUN. Your dad will be good to go. Have fun... Side note--- I am going to Atlanta in November... Any races arounda the "downtown area?"
2007-07-27 2:58 PM

User image

Pro
GUESS WHAT LADIES AND GENT'S IT'S FRIDAY! Time to go grab a glass of wine, play w/ the kids/dogs, race, workout, lounge around, sleep, and relax! I hope everyone has a great weekend. Next post you guys get from me, I will hopefully have been to the summit of Mt. Rainer and back. I am leaving on Wed, and will be pretty busy up until then! I will try to get on BT before I leave! Good luck if you are racing this weekend!
2007-07-30 1:17 PM

User image

Does anyone here know if I should be using a different tire if I am riding a trainer? It has been unusually rainy here in Houston this summer and it’s been interfering with my training and I’ve had to resort to the indoor trainer on some occasions. I put a new rear tire on my bike and when I rode the trainer the next time I noticed rubbery residue left on the drum. It looks like it melted off my tire and stuck to the drum.

Also, I just bought a used bike for my wife (Specialized). It came with a set of tires that are completely slick and almost hard. I think the tires came like that from the factory. Is that a typical tire design? Should I buy tires that are a little more rubbery (have more grip) and have a little bit of tread to them? I rode her bike yesteday and was contantly fearing the bike would slip out from under me at any moment.

Thanks for any input.

2007-07-30 2:19 PM
in reply to: #906900

User image

Pro
DscoNfrno - 2007-07-30 11:17 AM

Does anyone here know if I should be using a different tire if I am riding a trainer? It has been unusually rainy here in Houston this summer and it’s been interfering with my training and I’ve had to resort to the indoor trainer on some occasions. I put a new rear tire on my bike and when I rode the trainer the next time I noticed rubbery residue left on the drum. It looks like it melted off my tire and stuck to the drum.

Also, I just bought a used bike for my wife (Specialized). It came with a set of tires that are completely slick and almost hard. I think the tires came like that from the factory. Is that a typical tire design? Should I buy tires that are a little more rubbery (have more grip) and have a little bit of tread to them? I rode her bike yesteday and was contantly fearing the bike would slip out from under me at any moment.

Thanks for any input.

Depending on much you are riding on the trainer I would try using a different tire. It is not too bad if you are doing it occasionally. But if your bike is going to be on there ALL WINTER LONG or something like that... It may not be a bad idea to have your "training tire."

As far as your wife.. CONGRATS ON THE BIKE. She should be fine with those tires. The hold really well. We ride w/ them up here in Seattle, and we typically don't have the best weather. I just recommend being safe rounding corners if it wet. The paint in the roads (lines) are ALWAYS slicker than the road itself. So be careful there. HOWEVER, if you and your wife would feel more comfortable with some sort of tread on them, then it may be worth the extra $80 or so to buy to new tires. GOOD LUCK w/ this...

HOPE EVERYONE IS DOING GOOD AS WELL!
2007-08-02 7:15 PM
in reply to: #857717

User image

Subject: Half Marathon
Well I signed up for my first half marathon in about 6 weeks. I can run for an hour w/o being too tired at about 8:15 min/mile, so about 7.5 miles. I plan on increasing my long run on Saturdays by 10% every week, so my long run the week before will be about an 1:45. Does this sound like a good enough plan? Also, do I need to include some race pace miles in my weekday training (2-3 others per week)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Adam

Edited by adam.gentzler 2007-08-02 7:16 PM
2007-08-02 9:16 PM
in reply to: #911831

User image

Subject: RE: Half Marathon
adam.gentzler - 2007-08-02 7:15 PM

Well I signed up for my first half marathon in about 6 weeks. I can run for an hour w/o being too tired at about 8:15 min/mile, so about 7.5 miles. I plan on increasing my long run on Saturdays by 10% every week, so my long run the week before will be about an 1:45. Does this sound like a good enough plan? Also, do I need to include some race pace miles in my weekday training (2-3 others per week)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Adam

First of all, congrats on deciding to do a half marathon. I'm planning on doing one in January and I think it will tie in nicely with my winter training.

About the training (and keep in mind I'm definately no expert) I personally like to train a little over the distance I'm going to be racing at. I do understand that for a full marathon it wouldn't be such a good idea to train over, but I will probably be running around 16 miles at my peak in preparation to run the half.

I'm totally open for suggestions too. If anyone has any input as to my approach I would love to hear it.

Benson
2007-08-03 6:54 AM
in reply to: #911923

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Half Marathon

I have done 6 1/2's now in the last 2 years and from my experience depending on your anticipated completion time, there are a number of different things to consider.

• 10% a week is a great way to increase your distance 
  • About 2 weeks before your race, you should be up to about 20k (sorry I work in K's) as your long run
  • Then two week taper
  • Mid week runs you should mix in some hill training once a week, starting with 3x400M hills
  • Once the hill training has finished (about 5 weeks prior to event), then start doing some speed work

Hope this helps,

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  

of 21