BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2007-08-03 8:33 AM
in reply to: #912042

User image

Subject: RE: Half Marathon
richtherunner - 2007-08-03 6:54 AM

I have done 6 1/2's now in the last 2 years and from my experience depending on your anticipated completion time, there are a number of different things to consider.

• 10% a week is a great way to increase your distance 
  • About 2 weeks before your race, you should be up to about 20k (sorry I work in K's) as your long run
  • Then two week taper
  • Mid week runs you should mix in some hill training once a week, starting with 3x400M hills
  • Once the hill training has finished (about 5 weeks prior to event), then start doing some speed work

Hope this helps,

Sounds like a good plan to me! Do you end up doing about 3 weeks of speed work before your two week taper? And I'm guessing you only do speed work about twice per week.

2007-08-03 8:41 AM
in reply to: #912128

User image

Veteran

Yep, about 3 weeks of speed and only really need one per week. The speed should be about 20 to 30 seconds faster per k than your 5k race pace for about 400m, followed by recovery for 400m or until you are back in your HR zone. Reps start at about 4 and then upto about 6 by week 3. This is usually once per week. Another run in the week would be a tempo rin where you run the whole run at 80% of MHR. This is usually about 5 or 6k. The other runs are at steady pace which will be slower that your race pace.

2007-08-05 9:17 AM
in reply to: #912128

User image

DscoNfrno - 2007-08-03 8:33 AM

richtherunner - 2007-08-03 6:54 AM

I have done 6 1/2's now in the last 2 years and from my experience depending on your anticipated completion time, there are a number of different things to consider.

• 10% a week is a great way to increase your distance 
  • About 2 weeks before your race, you should be up to about 20k (sorry I work in K's) as your long run
  • Then two week taper
  • Mid week runs you should mix in some hill training once a week, starting with 3x400M hills
  • Once the hill training has finished (about 5 weeks prior to event), then start doing some speed work

Hope this helps,

Sounds like a good plan to me! Do you end up doing about 3 weeks of speed work before your two week taper? And I'm guessing you only do speed work about twice per week.

Thanks for the advice guys, it really helps. As far as over distance training Benson, I'm completely on the same page as you. However, this one in September is really just a training run. I'm running one (my "A" race if you want to call it that) October 20th in Kansas City with two buddies from college that I talked into it. So here's my plan: I would like to finish my first half at about 8 min/mile (1:44 flat), but I'm going to try and keep my heartrate below 170. I'm averaging about 160 at about 8:25 min/mile pace. Does this sound doable? I really don't have enough endurance background to determine it. It sounds feasible. Also, do you think that I could put off speed work till after my first race and focus it more on the second race, or should i just do 3 weeks before each race? Again, Benson and Rich, I appreciate your advice. I pegged Rich as the guy for some advice!

STEVE---How was Mt. Ranier? Cmon, talk it up!

Adam
2007-08-05 8:47 PM
in reply to: #645139

User image

Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL
Hi everyone.

I pretty much feel off the radar since my Oly in April, but just an hour ago I signed up for the Disney Marathon in January. This will be my first, having completed the 1/2 in 2006. I'm excited about it, but the goal is just to finish (preferably somewhere around 5 hrs). My sister talked me into it, and I figured when else am I going to have the time (no kids yet) and a training/marathon buddy to do his with again? Another lifetime goal I can check off the list. It's going to be a hell of a weekend in January though -- my company's national sales meeting is that weekend (conveniently in Orlando, too), so I've been granted permission to "squeeze in" the marathon in between other team building activities that day and formal dinners. My official marathon training doesn't start for another month, so I'm right now working on the bridge training. This afternoon I watched the Ironman ('06) in Kona, and if that's not inspiration, I don't know what is!

Good job to all you guys still going strong on the Tri's.

Mindy

2007-08-05 9:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia

Mindy - Way to go in signing up for the Disney Marathon!!!  I've heard that it's one of the best ones to do.  We used to live in Tampa and that's what all my running buddies told me.  Yes, this is before I was stricken with the running/triathlon bug.   I waited too late and now we've moved away.  You'll do great, I'm sure!  Just remember slow and steady in your training.

I've completed 2 sprint triathlons, so far and have my 1st Oly coming up in September.   Followed up by my 1st marathon in October.  The Marine Corp Marathon!! I am totally stoked about this race.  I jockstrapped for my running buddy last year.  An amazing race!  She's going to jockstrap for me this year.  I've encouraged 6 others from work to run it, too.  We had our first 12 mile run last weekend.  Good stuff!  It's always easier to run long when you've got somebody with you.

I haven't posted much this summer, but I've been keeping track on everyone.  Adam - how's your road rash healing up?  Those were some nasty wounds!!  Rich - you are awesome!  Great work!  Steve - I'm with Adam!  Details on Mt. Ranier???

Take care everbody! 

Edited by jlough 2007-08-05 9:16 PM
2007-08-06 12:28 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
WELL AFTER 3 days of great excitement, and a year of anticipation I am off the mountain. I am also COMPLETELY DEVISTATED! We did not make it to the summit. I went w/ 2 other friends that physically, and mentally could not make it to the top. I felt at the time it was necessary to stick w/ my friends and turned around w/ them! We made to about 12500 feet before turning back (it would have been another 2 hrs to the summit--- and after going 5 hours already, and being awake 36 hours... we were tired)... Our turning point was the sketchy bring as shown in the picture below..... I know the mountain will ALWAYS BE THERE, and I will go back and show it who is boss... I just need to get over it in the next couple days!!! IT SUCKS!

(Rainier-DC-variation-07302007-small1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Rainier-DC-variation-07302007-small1.jpg (75KB - 60 downloads)

2007-08-06 12:52 PM

User image

Subject: Another Training Q.
Along the same lines as Adam's question, I have a question about how much training I should be doing for a particular race. I believe I posed this question in a previous post, but got no takers on the answer.

I signed up for the 50.5 in the Woodlands, TX (1500 meter, ~40 miles, 9.3 miles). Right now I have my training volume peaking out at the end of September with a little over 11 hours scheduled for that week. My long bike ride tops out at 3 hours, my long run at 2 hours, and my long swim of 45 minutes rounds it off.

Is this enough training to sucessfully finish the 50.5? I figure this race will probably take about 4 hours to complete, but I haven't planned for any of my workouts to go that long. I will be doing excess of each individual part of the race, but do the sum of the parts equal the whole?

After the peak I'm allowing for one week of rest followed by three weeks of speed work. Then I have two weeks of taper, and then I race. I'm comfortable with this part, but not sure if I will have done enough volume before this time.

Comments, suggestions, anything response at all is welcome.

Thanks,
2007-08-06 12:59 PM
in reply to: #914996

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Another Training Q.
DscoNfrno - 2007-08-06 10:52 AM

Along the same lines as Adam's question, I have a question about how much training I should be doing for a particular race. I believe I posed this question in a previous post, but got no takers on the answer.

I signed up for the 50.5 in the Woodlands, TX (1500 meter, ~40 miles, 9.3 miles). Right now I have my training volume peaking out at the end of September with a little over 11 hours scheduled for that week. My long bike ride tops out at 3 hours, my long run at 2 hours, and my long swim of 45 minutes rounds it off.

Is this enough training to sucessfully finish the 50.5? I figure this race will probably take about 4 hours to complete, but I haven't planned for any of my workouts to go that long. I will be doing excess of each individual part of the race, but do the sum of the parts equal the whole?

After the peak I'm allowing for one week of rest followed by three weeks of speed work. Then I have two weeks of taper, and then I race. I'm comfortable with this part, but not sure if I will have done enough volume before this time.

Comments, suggestions, anything response at all is welcome.

Thanks,

It will be plenty of time.... Depending on what type of training schedule you follow you will never exceed the time/distance that you are racing... In a marathon you hardly ever run 30 miles to get ready for a 26.2 mile race (except Jeff Galloway-- I think he likes runner's to do this), and in an IRONMAN I think the longest workout I had was 9 hours in 1 go. Just be sure to focus on your nutrition, HR, etc... A 3 hour ride should get you over 45 miles (more than required), a 2 hr run at your pace (WAY OVER THE 9.3 miles)! Hope this helps you out at all??
2007-08-20 12:14 PM

User image

Pro
Hope everyone is doing good! Full into race season!!! TO ALL... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
2007-08-20 12:58 PM

User image

Ok, guys... what's your best advice on shin splints? Friday night I could barely walk after my run and I iced, rested, and heated my legs all weekend. I'm frustrated because I don't want to miss out on my runs, but I know I need to give them time to heal. Any recommendations for treatment or training?
2007-08-20 1:07 PM
in reply to: #932528

User image

Pro
REST!!!!!

YOU NEED TO SKIP YOUR RUNS! UNFORTUNATELY!

2007-08-20 1:58 PM

User image

I did tri #3 last Sunday, the 12th. My brother came out to do it with me. It was so much fun to have him there. He almost beat me, and it was his first tri! He thought I beat him out of the water, so when he was on the bike he pushed himself really hard to catch up with me. I was really almost 2 minutes behind him on the swim and was having a difficult time on the bike due to my own pre-race error in adjusting my seat height the day before. He gained about another 2 mintues on me on the bike. But I ended up catching him at the very end of the run and only came in about 10 seconds before he did. Well, below summarizes my results. Check out my race log if you get a chance.

Overall 56/204
Age Group 4/17
Swim (500 meter)- 12:42 (2:32/100m) 147/204, 13/17
Bike (16 miles) - 49:09 (19.5 mph), 89/204, 8/17
Run (2.5 miles) - 16:59 (6:48 min/mile), 17/204, 4/17

And I have no rememdy for shin splints. Sorry. However, I have been reading that Chi Running book and the fellow that wrote it suggests that pushing off with your toes is the primary cause of shin splints. I don't necessarily agree with a lot of this guys views on life, but I can't argue with his technique of running. Seems very logical and he claims it can pretty much eliminate any running injury, including shin splints. You may want to give it a read while your recovering. Good luck!
2007-08-20 3:06 PM
in reply to: #932670

User image

DscoNfrno - 2007-08-20 2:58 PM

And I have no remedy for shin splints. Sorry. However, I have been reading that Chi Running book and the fellow that wrote it suggests that pushing off with your toes is the primary cause of shin splints. I don't necessarily agree with a lot of this guys views on life, but I can't argue with his technique of running. Seems very logical and he claims it can pretty much eliminate any running injury, including shin splints. You may want to give it a read while your recovering. Good luck!

You know, you may be on to something. These last couple of weeks I have been focusing on lengthening my stride -- most of that has involved me pushing off more on my back foot to stretch out my front. Guess I will keep my short stride in lieu of injury. Thanks, and great job on your tri.

2007-08-20 4:12 PM
in reply to: #932670

User image

Pro
DscoNfrno - 2007-08-20 11:58 AM

I did tri #3 last Sunday, the 12th. My brother came out to do it with me. It was so much fun to have him there. He almost beat me, and it was his first tri! He thought I beat him out of the water, so when he was on the bike he pushed himself really hard to catch up with me. I was really almost 2 minutes behind him on the swim and was having a difficult time on the bike due to my own pre-race error in adjusting my seat height the day before. He gained about another 2 mintues on me on the bike. But I ended up catching him at the very end of the run and only came in about 10 seconds before he did. Well, below summarizes my results. Check out my race log if you get a chance.

Overall 56/204
Age Group 4/17
Swim (500 meter)- 12:42 (2:32/100m) 147/204, 13/17
Bike (16 miles) - 49:09 (19.5 mph), 89/204, 8/17
Run (2.5 miles) - 16:59 (6:48 min/mile), 17/204, 4/17

And I have no rememdy for shin splints. Sorry. However, I have been reading that Chi Running book and the fellow that wrote it suggests that pushing off with your toes is the primary cause of shin splints. I don't necessarily agree with a lot of this guys views on life, but I can't argue with his technique of running. Seems very logical and he claims it can pretty much eliminate any running injury, including shin splints. You may want to give it a read while your recovering. Good luck!

GREAT RACE!!!!!!!!!
2007-08-21 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran

I did another race on Saturday (Aug 18th). Was supposed to be a spring tri, but swim was cancelled due to the cold water, so ended up as a Du.

Check out my race report if you are interested.

Now training for Wasaga beach Olympic distance debut.

2007-08-21 11:22 AM
in reply to: #933792

User image

richtherunner - 2007-08-21 7:53 AM

I did another race on Saturday (Aug 18th). Was supposed to be a spring tri, but swim was cancelled due to the cold water, so ended up as a Du.

Check out my race report if you are interested.

Now training for Wasaga beach Olympic distance debut.

Congrats Rich! I can't imagine having to share the course with the public. I have a hard enough time concentrating on just what I'm doing, much less a hoard of people around me.

2007-09-04 2:35 PM

User image

Did a 5k on saturday after not running for a week and my last run being a 10 miler. Did well enough to get first in my age group w/ an unimpressive 20:40. Oh well, I wasn't expecting too much, and my friend won overall w/ 16:46 (college XC and track) so it was fun.

I backed out of my last tri of the season on Sept. 16th due to college football tickets. For all those who like college football, you'll appreciate that the game is the Huskers vs. USC in Lincoln. If you're a Husker fan, you'll know that Lincoln will be an incredible place that Saturday and you'll either be excited for me, or jealous of the tickets!!

Everyone else's training/racing going well?

Go Big Red,
Adam
2007-09-04 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran

Good job Adam. I only wish I could do 20 minutes for a 5k. (my best is 25).

I did a 1/2 marathon yesterday and was supposed to be a training run, but ended up running it pretty well )2hr 10M)and taking 11 minutes off my last 1/2 time (mid July). Still getting closer to a PB (2:05), which I hope to break on October 14.

This Saturday is my Olympic distance Tri debut, really concerned about the swim as it is a 695 meter out across the lake and then back. I'll probably end up doing my comfort stroke but hope to get it done. Bike and run not really an issue (I hope I haven't jinxed myself now).

2007-09-09 3:41 PM
in reply to: #951821

User image

richtherunner - 2007-09-04 3:00 PM

Good job Adam. I only wish I could do 20 minutes for a 5k. (my best is 25).

I did a 1/2 marathon yesterday and was supposed to be a training run, but ended up running it pretty well )2hr 10M)and taking 11 minutes off my last 1/2 time (mid July). Still getting closer to a PB (2:05), which I hope to break on October 14.

This Saturday is my Olympic distance Tri debut, really concerned about the swim as it is a 695 meter out across the lake and then back. I'll probably end up doing my comfort stroke but hope to get it done. Bike and run not really an issue (I hope I haven't jinxed myself now).

Well Rich, how was your debut? Do tell.

I had my debut Sept. 3rd (Labor Day here in the States) and it was quite an experience. Some funny things happened to me during the course of the race. I just finished my race report, and just to intrigue all of you into reading it, I'll dangle two subject matters in front of your noses: head locks and fecal matter.
2007-09-09 5:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia

Ok, Benson... that's enough of a dangle for me.  I'm going to read your race report ASAP!!!  Should be interesting...

I completed my 1st olympic distance tri today.  I don't have official times yet and I screwed up my watch on the swim and the bike.  But regardless of official times, let me tell ya, I crossed that finish line feeling awesome.  I balanced giving it all I had and not overextending perfectly today.  What a feeling.  It was great!!  i'll get my race report up sometime after they post the results. 

Hope everyone's doing well!!

2007-09-10 6:03 AM

User image

Veteran

Hey Benson, Jan, well, they cancelled the swim due to high waves and undertow so ended up doing a Du (10k, 40k, 5k). I completed it in 3hr 10m, so was happy with that. I have posted a report in the race reports section.

I'm off to read your report now.

2007-09-10 10:13 AM
in reply to: #957143

User image

Pro
jlough - 2007-09-09 3:39 PM

Ok, Benson... that's enough of a dangle for me.  I'm going to read your race report ASAP!!!  Should be interesting...

I completed my 1st olympic distance tri today.  I don't have official times yet and I screwed up my watch on the swim and the bike.  But regardless of official times, let me tell ya, I crossed that finish line feeling awesome.  I balanced giving it all I had and not overextending perfectly today.  What a feeling.  It was great!!  i'll get my race report up sometime after they post the results. 

Hope everyone's doing well!!

OOOOHHH RAY!!!!!!!!! GREAT JOB! CONGRATS!
2007-09-16 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia

Hi everyone!  What a great day here today in Northern Virginia.  Highs of 65 and bright, beautiful, sunny blue skies.  I reached another uncharted territory on my run today leading up to my first marathon in Oct.  A friend and I ran 18 miles this morning.  Wow... I'm not feeling too bad either.  There might just be hope for me after all in the Marine Corp Marathon. 

What's everyone else up to?

2007-09-17 10:01 AM

User image

Pro
Well yesterday I put on my wetsuit for the 1st time this year, and went out and did a race (also a 1st this year!).... Weather was about 55 degree's, cold, windy... not too fun! I think I did ok... I PR this race by 5 minutes (which to me is pretty good considering it was a sprint).. I will send out a race report once they post the times... Hope all is well w/ everyone!?!

Here is the race report..
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by swbkrun 2007-09-17 10:54 AM
2007-09-17 12:09 PM

User image

Veteran

Hey Steve, sounds like you had a good race even without the training. I'd hate to be in your age group if you had been training. Good job.

What's next?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  

of 21