General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BT Groups SE Michigan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-11 5:53 AM

Subject: BT Groups SE Michigan
If anyone is part of a BT group in SE Michigan please let me know how to get involved. Thanks

2007-01-11 4:20 PM
in reply to: #650183

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: RE: BT Groups SE Michigan

gsimony - 2007-01-11 6:53 AM If anyone is part of a BT group in SE Michigan please let me know how to get involved. Thanks

Hey, G...

BT groups?  Ummm, it's pretty informal...we'll just post on the Michigan pages when it's time for a ride or a run.  But if you mean TRI-CLUBS, There are a few to choose from.  I don't belong to any of 'em due to convenience from where I live, but I know folks in each of 'em:

www.aatriclub.org/  - Ann Arbor Tri Club
www.swimfasttrifast.com/ - Dearborn-based swim and Tri club
www.msutriathlon.com/ - Michigan State Tri club, Lansing
www.infinitemultisport.com - Infinite Multisport, Sterling Heights

I thought about going to an Infinite meeting, as they're closest to me....but just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.  There are also some cycling clubs, running groups, and masters swim clubs that I haven't mentioned because they tend to be pretty local.  If you're interested in any of these, just post back.

Hope this helps.

2007-01-11 5:06 PM
in reply to: #651333

Thanks for the input. Can you please tell me whether I'm better off purchasing a new bike at a store, online, used, etc. This whole experience is new to me, so even with the most basic things like equipment, clothes, etc., I'm lost.
2007-01-12 8:16 AM
in reply to: #651408

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

gsimony - 2007-01-11 6:06 PM Thanks for the input. Can you please tell me whether I'm better off purchasing a new bike at a store, online, used, etc. This whole experience is new to me, so even with the most basic things like equipment, clothes, etc., I'm lost.

Oooh, that's a pretty broad question.  It depends on the kind of bike, price range, what your goals are, etc, etc....

There are a couple basic guidelines I'd use, though... 1) don't spend huge amounts of money until you're sure you like tri...you can always add or upgrade equipment later, 2) the three MUST-HAVE pieces of good equipment I'd recommend are Goggles, Running Shoes, and to a lesser extent bike shorts. 

You can get goggles anywhere, that's just a question of trying them out to see what fits your face.  You'll prolly go through a few pairs trying to find the right ones. Most triathletes I know have a closetful of goggles.   Running shoes - if you haven't been running and don't have a tried-and-true shoe, go to Hanson's running shop (a couple locations around Detroit) and they'll fit you for shoes...size, model, etc.   And for the shorts, I'd recommend some Pearl Izumi Ultrasensors, or the like - you can buy them online at Performance Bike or Nashbar or Trisports.com.  They'll keep ya happy.

Pretty much ALL the other tri gear is about speed or comfort, and you can add them to your arsenal as you need to, have the budget for, or want to.  Do a search on 'race checklist' in the forums, and you'll find a complete list of gear folks take to races....so you'll see the universe of stuff you might want to buy at some point. 

And you asked specifically about bikes...if you feel compelled to jump into getting a tri-bike right away, visit Bikesport Michigan...they're one of the best tri-bike shops in the country.  But maybe a tri-bike isn't what you need?  I'd start by getting lots of education just by reading the bikesport site and BT's forums.  Use the search function on BT, or scroll down through the pages, as so many folks have asked the same 'What kind of bike should I get?' question.  Hope this helps. 

2007-01-12 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan
Another possible bike shop is Fraser Bicycle. They also have a decent selection of tri bikes, but bikesport is a great shop.

On a side note, it might be kinda fun to have a SE Michigan BT meet and greet. Most of us train on our own, but it might be fun to get together to meet everyone before the season gets going.

Shorty
2007-01-12 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

Shoes: As rkreuser said... Definitely go to a running shop for these. I also go to Hansons in Royal Oak (Rochester Road just south of 13 mile). I was drove by there one day on my way to buy new running shoes and decided to stop in. I was blown away!! The sales clerk spent a lot of time asking me questions and figuring out the best shoe for me, I ended up with 3 different options and was even able to take each one out in the parking lot for a little jog.

Bike: Fit is key so I would go to a shop. You may save some money by buying on line but that could hurt you in the end.

gsimony.. What tri are you thinking of doing??

2007-01-13 8:55 AM

Thanks for all the input. I have ran for 3 years now, so I'm ok with running apparel. I really appreciate all the help with regards to the bike end of it.

2007-01-13 6:57 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan
my recommendation on a bike is to ride as many as you can, there is a huge difference in them. i may have a felt s25 for sale if you're interested. (it's a 50), as far as get togethers we should plan some.  in the past we have used kensington metro parks, there is a good bike and run loop.  as of late kreuser and i have been running at the potowatami trails(aa area), they are awesome and great on your legs.  we are headed out there next weekend if anyone is interested.  we plan on 2 hours but there are small loops we could do to accommodate any one of you yahoos.  just let either one of us know, we'd love to have new people come and join us.
2007-01-14 11:11 AM
in reply to: #653748

User image

Master
Michigan

trixie - 2007-01-13 7:57 PM my recommendation on a bike is to ride as many as you can, there is a huge difference in them. i may have a felt s25 for sale if you're interested. (it's a 50), as far as get togethers we should plan some. in the past we have used kensington metro parks, there is a good bike and run loop. as of late kreuser and i have been running at the potowatami trails(aa area), they are awesome and great on your legs. we are headed out there next weekend if anyone is interested. we plan on 2 hours but there are small loops we could do to accommodate any one of you yahoos. just let either one of us know, we'd love to have new people come and join us.

50, dang I didn't know they made frames for the Lord of the Rings cast.Tongue out

2007-01-14 11:37 AM

User image

Champion
Michigan
ha! my new bike is a 48! are we gonna get you out this year, smoke?  can you get healthy and stay healthy this year? please?
2007-01-15 9:41 AM
in reply to: #654046

User image

Master
Michigan

trixie - 2007-01-14 12:37 PM ha! my new bike is a 48! are we gonna get you out this year, smoke? can you get healthy and stay healthy this year? please?

I don't make many promises. But I will be seeing you guys this year for sure.  

2007-01-17 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
A little late on the thread, but Im part of Infinite, good informal group. Normally you can find someone to train with in your time/distance.
2007-01-19 12:36 AM

Royal Oak, MI
I think a SE meet and greet would be great. My training partner from last year moved out of the country so I'm always looking for someone to swim/bike/run with.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BT Groups SE Michigan Rss Feed