BT Development Mentor Program Archives » IronSteves Group Now FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2007-01-18 8:04 PM
in reply to: #651117

New user

Subject: RE: IronSteves Group Now Open
Folks, here is IronSteve’s Group- Target “A” races 2007. Thought it would be a good way to help motivate us all!

Let me know if I have missed anything/anyone.

28 April Hamishwannabe- Olympic

24 June Midnightmedia (Michael)- Sprint

1 July Elmatto (Matt)- Singapore (Sprint)

15 July Nmaise (Nick)- Pittsburgh Tri (Oly)

22 July Oddicon- New York Tri (Sprint)
22 July IronSteve (Steve)- Lake Placid (Ironman)

26 Aug TriThor- SB Sprint

IronmanAndrew TBC

2007-01-19 1:42 AM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Hello Steve, I am hoping you have some room for me in your mentoring group. I have just jumped into the world of Triathalon and am very excited to continue to grow in the sport.

My name is Chris, I am 31 years old, married, no kids (that I know of) with a job that has me on call a lot and working all kinds of goofy hours. I have had a hard time sticking to a regimented routine, so I have a hard time keeping interest in the gym and running on a regular basis.
I am a pretty strong runner for the amount of running I do, I can run a 10K in 45mins (I think its good anyway). Biking, I have taken the training wheels off a while ago and can ride at a pretty steady pace before my heart throws a fit. For the swim, I am built for sinking not swiming. I found out that after 30 mins in the pool tonight, I DO need goggles. I swam 500 meters and am feeling not as bad as I thought. Be another thing in the morning I am sure. I am thinking about taking lessons to improve my form as a swimmer.
I think I could really benefit from you, looking at your Tri history. So if you have room, I would love to team you with your group! I could use some moral support from a group that understands training for and taking part in this sport.
Thanks
Chris
2007-01-19 8:22 AM

Regular
Philadelphia, Pa
Hey IronSteve, I hope there's still room left in your group, I saw that it was still open, so I assumed so. This is my first year participating in triathlons and I thought this would be a good place to come to for support and questions when I need it and hopefully can provide the same for the rest of the group. My goals this season are the Philadelphia Olympic Triathlon at the end of June and Bassman Half Ironman in October and potentially the Philadelphia Marathon in November, but we shall see about that.

A little about myself, I'm a 26 year old male from Philadelphia, work a pretty typical 40-50 hours a week and try to plan my workouts accordingly, which I'm sure will get more complicated as swimming and biking enter the mix. My athletic background is mostly in basketball and football which I played high school then played a few years of football in college, I played defensive end, so obviously I do not have the build of what most what think of when they think of an endurance athlete. At my peak I was 270, I have that down to 210 which I have been hovering around for about 2 years, but would like to get under 200 this year, the weight loss was largely impart to getting involved with a coed field hockey team, which was by far the most running I had ever done. I completed a duathlon and half marathon last year, so I'm not entirely foreign to all the spandex, short shorts, and bikes made of some hybrid metal that I probably should have learned about in 7th grade. Anyway, I hope everyone has a great season and I'm sure we can all learn a good amount from each other.
2007-01-19 8:29 AM
in reply to: #660262

User image

New user
Hey Chris,
Come on in! Thigs are brewing now as elmatto put it out there--our A races. But you don't have to go that far. Love the way you are thinking as per your 10k thoughts. Triathlon is an individual effort that you can't control who races and what they think. You can only put the time into your training and raccing. Being a strong runner helps. I beleive it worth you while taking swim classes and even now, I sink or I mean stink as a swimmer and I continue to get advice on how to improve my swim stroke. Tri shopuld keep you interested in training because you can have quite a bit of variety in training.

Steve
2007-01-19 8:52 AM
in reply to: #660030

User image

New user
Hi Michael,
Just read you post from yesterday. A plan is what it is and it provides structure. Unfortunately the plan doesn't execute training for us. then tri would be easy! Training does hurt and will push our energy levels to the max. Your concern about having 2 workouts per day and the energy is a valid one. However keep in mind that you wll exit the water and get on a bike, then rack your bike and go for a run. The 2 workouts can aid in building fitness. I think that you can push yourself in both at an areobic level. Do you have a heart rate monitor which you can use in your run? Keeping your heart rate values in the areobic blue zone is key to building endurance. This can be determined by a few tests and there is a calculator in the traiing log section of this site that help determine values for you as well.

For stratching there is a section called Flexibility I that will be helpful
http://www.performancetrainingsystems.com/newstips/tips.html#var

FInally running shoes! Extremely important. The best way is to go to a "pure" running store. They ca fit you and have you run on a treadmill analysing you run stride in the shoes. This is an area you donn't want to go cheap in because good running shoes (at least 2 pairs to rotate them after runs) are keep to being injury free.
Steve
2007-01-19 6:24 PM

After some thinking about goals, I've decided to change my target race to an earlier one. Rather than doing the Santa Barbara sprint at the end of August, I'm going to move things up and shoot for the Redondo Beach sprint on June 10. It's a 1/2 mile swim, a 6 mile bike race and a 2 mile run. Seems like a good place to start.

Originally I had been thinking that I would need more conditioning, hence the late August date. But the more I thought about it, the "itchier" I got to get going. My original plan involved a lot more walking the first month, and as I thought about it, I decided that might not be as challenging as I'd like.

I'm still going to do the "Couch to Sprint" 12 week program, but now I'm going to start on 3/19 and finish up with the R.B. race. I'll still be working out between now and 3/19 (swimming, running, core) as well as getting gear squared away. Another goal between now and 3/19 is to improve my swimming technique, maybe by using the Total Immersion program (book or DVD.) Since I'm kind of starting from scratch as a swimmer, I'd like to learn the right way to do it so that I can practice good technique from the start.

The other benefit to doing this earlier race is that it leaves me the option of doing another race in September, assuming I like it. We'll see.

2007-01-20 7:32 AM
in reply to: #660386

User image

New user
Welcom to the group 2171!
Philly OLY is another on of those races I want to do in my tri career. Pedaling up Lemon Hill like the pros did is very appealing. I can only hope that the swim doesn't get canclled for you this year like it did in 2006. Have you thought of a small aprint before Philly? There are some health clubs who do some Spring races with the swim being a pool swim or thinky about Marathon Sports Sprint in Middleton DE in Early June as a "warm-up"? SJust some ideas. I post more later today for you and the rest of the group I have DAD coaching duties this morning!
2007-01-20 9:57 AM
in reply to: #661528

Regular
Philadelphia, Pa
Thanks for the suggestions Steve, I'm going to look into them, I'm also looking at the Got the nerve? Sprint tri in late May and the Brandywine Valley Duathlon in April just to get some experience with the transitions, open water swimming and basically the whole experience!
2007-01-20 5:08 PM

New user

Hey TriThor, I just signed up for a Total Immersion class at their upstate New York facility next weekend. I'm in a similar place with my swimming as you are and would like to start my training with good technique rather than just be splashing around in the water for a couple hours a week. I'll give a review after I have the class.
2007-01-20 7:40 PM
in reply to: #661856

I'll definitely be interested to hear your opinion. Based on the price, I don't think their workshop is in the cards for me this year. Maybe next. I'll have to make due with the DVD for now. I don't know if you're aware, but the guy who does the Tritalk podcast (David something) did an indepth story about the TI workshop. He came away very impressed. Said it was really useful to have your swim stroke analyzed on video. Have fun!
2007-01-21 7:14 AM

Hi Steve,

Im in Australia and have just entered a womens tri on March 4th. So have 6 weeks. Maybe i should have given myself longer but it seemed like the perfect race for a beginner, so thought 'what the heck'. Its a 0.75/20/5 event - thats in kms, something like 0.5/12.5/3 in you're mile language!

Im a long distance swimmer, so theres no dramas with that leg, but am really struggling with the running. My first run lasted for 3 minutes 32 seconds!!! and that was last week. I managed 15 minutes on Friday but had a sore muscle/tendon under my heel. I went to get properly fitted with running shoes, and he said it was called planus......... something or other and was partly due to my sneakers not being suitable for my feet. Anyhow it wasnt too bad and Im sure i will be fine.

My problem is that i live in a rural town (a rather hilly one) and so i dont have nice flat tracks to run or ride on. But i am a regular gym goer. Is it ok to run on the treadmill instead of trying (unsuccessfully) to run up hills???? And if so are the times equivalent to running on the ground?? Or would i be better off running down hill and as far up as i can manage, then walk a bit, then run a bit???

I like the hills for the bike as I can just get up them so i figure its good for my fitness. Is that right or should i do more on the bike at the gym do you think to keep a constant pace??

Love having someone to answer these questions!!

Cheers,
Kathy

2007-01-21 9:09 AM
in reply to: #662126

User image

New user
Hi Kathy,
THe issue is called Planteur Fascitis (sp). I have been struggling with this since July and it hurts like crazy. Go to a Podiatrist immediately and get treatment or you will be like me suffering 9 months later! Treatment usually consists of an antiinflamitory, possible a night splint (IF you don't get one go to www.thesock.com) Shoe have a lot to do with this. I have been using heat modable insoles in my running and cycling shoes to give me arch support as I have very flat feet (http://www.yoursole.com/products/index.htm). This shouldn't dissuade you from your race. Keep cycling asn cycling helps out your running. I did a Half Iron last AUgust where I cut my running by 50% and increase my cycling by 35% (timewise) and was able to have a PB in my run as on the bike I suffered a few mechanical issues. Final note, invest in good running shoes, at leas 2 pair so that you can rotate them and allow the foam in the shoe reform after you pound them on your run. Your feet and body will thank you sometime down the road...

As far as the hills on your run. They are great for building strength and that is a good thing. Treadmill work is good but you don't face the elements such as varied course topography and weather (tepmarture, wind, etc). So, in essence it is "easier" to do treadmill work. Do you have one at home? If so there are some DVD's out there that can help. If not then you should do some interval work where you are changing speeds and incline of the treatmill. In sum, when you get on a flat course, you will do well as because of hills in your area you will develop power and I would worry about the sustainable power yet or at least until you move up in distance.

Steve
2007-01-21 9:16 AM
in reply to: #661586

User image

New user
Hi ljk 2171,
Just took a look at the some Mid-Atlantic Races and checking out the New Jersey Devilman Sprint on May 6th. This may be a good race for you. I am thinking about doing this myself but havent't really decided yet. Neil Semmel is an excellent race director and I have done many of his races in the past so I think you may get a quality race to start out with. Here's the web site
http://www.piranha-sports.com/

Steve
2007-01-21 11:16 AM

Regular
Philadelphia, Pa
Thanks for the link Steve, I am planning on doing one of their races (Brandywine Valley Duathlon) on April 14 and was planning on doing the Devilman Sprint, but had already made a commitment with a bunch of friend to do the Broad Street Run on the same day, which happens to be a great race, not sure if any of you have ever participated. But I am going to look into some of the others you had mentioned in the earlier post. Thanks again!
2007-01-21 3:18 PM
in reply to: #662178

Thanks Steve, much appreciated. Will get onto a podiatrist.
Cheers
2007-01-22 11:59 AM

Regular
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't know if any of you have seen this, I know it's popped up on the main forum a few times, but I used it last year just to do some swimming and it worked pretty well in building a base. Just thought I'd throw it out there, I'm planning on starting it up again this week.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

2007-01-22 1:09 PM

Regular
Philadelphia, Pa
2007-01-22 3:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
steve do you have room for one more???
me i have been a long time lurker at bt, and after doing the yearly checkup and bloodwork(hi cholesteral/sugars) there is no time like the present to shed a few pounds(current 254), and improve my overall fitness level. i am 45, married two kids-11 and 6 that keep my like full and happy.
current traning- i have a sedentary job, and exercise when i can. back in the day i did do a lot of cycling, and still currently will go do 30-50 miles on my uncomfortable mtb. i can walk for hours at 4mph, but that transition to being a runner is difficult for me. i just need some guidance to put it all together.
2007 races-i want to do the Malibu Traiathlon September 2007.
2007-01-22 3:15 PM
in reply to: #663448

User image

New user
ljk2171,
Looks like you found something. If you able towards the end of the "program" vary you speed. A bit slower at longer distances and speed up during the shorter ones. Also, another trick as you begin long efforts, start slower and build to faster paces. DON"T ALL SPRINT...varying speeds will come in handy during a race.

Steve

Edited by IronSteve 2007-01-22 3:16 PM
2007-01-22 3:24 PM
in reply to: #663716

User image

New user
wplummer,
Join us there is room. Start out slow. There are a number of "Couch to--- Programs at this website. The most important thing is being consistent with a plan. I too have a butt job and here are some of my tricks that don't show up in my training log. I typically walk about 20 min after meals (lunch) I find a reason to go up steps numerous times during the day. I dring lots of water and gatorade. If nice outside I find reasons to go to my car which is parked the furtherest away from the door to the office. I swim at lunch 2 x per week (during IM Buildup and peek training periods). Hold abs for 10 seconds and release do this throughout the day. Gains come and will be worth it. Setting a goal for Malibu is great. Think about some intermediate goals between. For example maybe you want to run a mile on the track in March? Get back on MTB bike and ride 10 miles by x date. Just some thoughts off the time of my head...
Antoher quote I heard similar to yours...Pain is temporary and Pride is forever!

Steve
2007-01-24 5:56 PM

New user

Hi Steve,

I am looking for a mentor and would love to join. I am a 26yr old female just getting into tris. I played sports all through high school and college but now I struggle to stay in shape. I became interested in tris about a yr ago just havent found the right time until now I guess. I have been training for 2 wks now with one of the programs from the website. I would like to do a tri the end of April. I feel I can run and bike pretty good once in shape but struggle with the swim. Would like some suggestions on the workouts.

Thanks,

Lisa

2007-01-24 6:07 PM

New user

Hi Steve!   I am hoping you are still open as there are just two right now.   Any women in  here?Not that it's critical, just that it's nice to have another woman to relate to in varying ways.  I know I could benefit from anyone in some way.  I am a true newbie - a WITTY woman = Woman In Training for Triatholons - Yikes!  Yes, I just made that up.  It's copywrited though.  I am 42 years strong and wise and ready for more, and a Registered Nurse during my sane periods ( although work often results in insanity).   I have never tri'd before and am doing my first sprint tri in June so HELP!!!!   I have always been very physically active most of my life - danced for 16 years, on the tennis, gymnastics and track teams in high school, taught Aerobic classes in my 20's, walked and strength trained, mostly on, for 24 years, have done Yoga, pilates and varying other exercise classes.  Never much biking or swimming, though.  I lived in the pool as a kid and took many lessons and taught beginner swimmers but never laps or competitively.   I did have my stroke analyzed at the gym I belong to and they were very impressed at how good it was for never having practiced it formally!  It's the lungs that needs the work.  I did herniate a disc 4 years ago and broke my left foot which both left me in a wheelchair for 9 months but have worked and worked at getting back to as close to my young self as possible and am definetly ready to take a leap!    As long as it's not a cliff.  I am starting off with a sprint tri.  My boyfriend does Ironman triatholons,among other races,and he is willing to help but doesn't want to take any responsibility!  (Typical, sorry)  Anway I love this website and would love to join your group!  Thanks so much,  Witty Tammy

Edited by tammyrn 2007-01-24 11:08 PM
2007-01-25 7:17 AM

New user

Gland, Switzerland
Hi Steve,

My name is Renee, 34 year old female from Canada but currently living in Switzerland. I used to be into triathlons (some 9 years ago) and had really enjoyed the training and racing. To my surprise I had done quite well in a couple of races, placing in my age group.

However, I've worked overseas for the last 7 years, mostly in developing countries where there weren't many opportunities nor places to train/race. But my recent move to Switzerland has motivated me to get back into triathlons. Lots of good training and racing opportunities here, and lots of fresh air!

Like yourself, I am more of a distance performer, so I've signed up for my 1st 1/2 Ironman here in Switzerland. I've also signed up for a 1/2 marathon a couple of months before the race just to make sure I am ready for the distance.

But, having not trained for many years I am afraid that I don't have a lot of confidence. I am a fast swimmer, ok runner but terribly slow on the bike (I get bored and distracted on the bike). So, I know I'll have to work more on the mental part than on the physical part of the training.

Renee Lariviere
2007-01-25 8:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
Is there still room for a newbie?

My name is Paul Rayman, I'm 31, currently living in Colorado Springs. I've been active duty for 13 years. I am planning on doing my first Sprint distance Tri in June 07 "5430 Sprint" in Boulder, CO followed by my second in late August. I am not a cyclist, or a runner, and I havn't done any competitive swimming since I was a kid. I have participated in sports as far back as I can remember (swimming, football, basketball, etc) at various levels, but I havnt done much over the last 3 or 4 years.

I am a husband and father of 5, my newest addition was born on Christmas Day..... What I really want is to set an example of healthy and active living for them.

I am dedicating my first race to my cousin David who is a Leukemia Survivor. I am going to a TNT meeting Monday, so I can raise money for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

My personal Tri goals are as follows:

1: Finish the race in June, since I dont know what to expect, I don't plan on being competitive yet.

2. Complete a half IM by the end of 2008

3. Complete an IM 2010

I think that'll keep me busy for a while.....

Edited by AF_SGT 2007-01-25 8:14 AM
2007-01-25 8:30 AM

New user

Manchester
Hi Steve,

My names Michael, 28yrs old and i'm from Manchester, England. I'm a totally new to the world of Triathlons, but not to competion. I'm quite an accomplished runner, with completing several half marathons usually around a time of 1hr35mins and numerous 10K's around 40-42mins. Started cycling last year completing a 100km bike ride in around 4hrs (i don't have a road bike).

I decided to enter the London Triathlon (olympic distance) this August, but when it comes to training i have no real idea about fitting all three disciplines into a usual working week, with regards to durations, intensity, do you need to carry out all three activities in one workout?, etc. Also im a rubbish swimmer, and my shins and left knee have been giving me pain over the previous 2-3months, another reason to move into Triathlons, to move away from road running four times a week.

I feel being part of a group and having a mentor will assist in keeping me focused, on track and achieving my aims of completing my 1st Triathlon and several more before my joints pack in.

Thanks,

Mike Pickles
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » IronSteves Group Now FULL Rss Feed  

of 7