General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running downhill.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-11 7:04 PM

User image

Subject: Running downhill....

As a Clydesdale, I find running downhill difficult.  If I let the dogs out and let the legs go, it feels like my stride lengthens too much and I start feeling out of control.  If I hold back, then I really feel it in my feet, ankles, knees and hips as I put the brakes on.  It's like I am either falling too far down the hill or resisting it.

Is there an in between?  When running with my training partner he absolutely smokes me going downhill, and it's not as if he's sprinting.

Thoughts?  resources for learning how to do this properly without getting injured?

2007-01-11 8:42 PM
in reply to: #651503

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: RE: Running downhill....
ChiRunning says to let yourself go crazy. Use gravity to your advantage.

When it is super downhill though, my coach suggested that your run with your weight on your back and as if you are holding one of those big core workout balls.

During the steep downhill portion of the LA triathlon run, I heard this one guy coaching a girl to swim down the hill -- literally use the swim stroke to balance yourself. I tried it a bit and it seemed to work.

Running downhill can be hard on the legs. I wouldn't think you would want to increase your stride that much since it put even more stress on the body.

Cheers,
Mark
2007-01-11 10:11 PM

I actually go at a faster pace up than down. I too get out of control going downhill so really ride the brakes.

Do you stretch? I started stretching about 10 days ago and it seems to help the legs turn over faster. Who knows if its the stretching or not, but for now I'm sold. We'll see in a few weeks if it helps overall speed increase.
2007-01-11 10:29 PM

User image

I think it somewhere in between, just before going completely out of control, landing soft, staying relaxed and using your arms for balance is key, oh and practice practice practice. I try to think of it as floating when trying to go downhill fast.

I do think it is more difficult for bigger runners than smaller one's just due to the higher center of gravity. The other side of the coin is with the longer legs and gravity working for you have a better opportuinty to kick their A$$ compete with the little speedsters downhill.

We used to race down Squaw Peak in Phoenix, a jagged hiking trail about 1.25 miles, I couldn't imagine doing that now.

I'd be interested to know what the chi and evolution folks say about it though.

http://www.mamashealth.com/run/downhill.asp

Edited by crusevegas 2007-01-11 10:35 PM
2007-01-12 9:11 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

You definately don't want to hit the brakes.  As you noted, you will really be taking a big impact every time you land (and going slower to boot).  Downhill you want to really make sure you are getting quick turnover and keeping your feet landing underneath your body (not out in front). 

If you generally run at a low cadence, it will be very difficult to run downhill without forcefully hitting the brakes.  But hitting the brakes and running slower will actually take more out of your legs.  Working on strides on a slight downhill is a great way to get a feeling for this and improve your ability to turnover at higher cadences.

Edit:  Also, your stride length will increase.  But it should not lengthen by reaching out in front of your body with your leg.  You will simply be in the air longer after push-off as you take advantage of the hill.  And keep your upper body steady--no twising at the hips or swinging the arms across your midsection.  Form becomes more important going downhill in my view.

Edited by JohnnyKay 2007-01-12 9:16 AM
2007-01-12 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Thanks for posting this, ChrisM. I'm not a large person, but I still feel it in my knees more going downhill than up. It'll be nice to try the whole "going with gravity" next run.

2007-01-12 9:29 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Sheesh, I've written a lot about this lately to people.  I'm not a clyde but I am 195 lbs. so I know about impact on downhills.  The key for me is this:

"it feels like my stride lengthens too much"

Don't let it!  Focus hard on form.  Think of yourself as rolling like a bicycle on the downhill.  Your feet just tap the ground in order to keep your balance (and your face off the asphalt).  tap tap tap like a machine gun.  Keep your stride as short as you can.  In reality it will lengthen, but it feels like you are taking shorter steps than normal.  Stay on your toes/balls of feet.  Hold your upper body tight (solid, not painfully locked) and in rhythm.   Think of it like swimming form.  You can do it if you perfect the form.  Smooth is fast.

2007-01-12 9:32 AM

User image

Runner

Bob Glover talks about this in "The Competitive Runner's Handbook".  He said the best way is to stay perpendicular to the surface (much like you are when running on a flat), and focus on maintaining your form.  And he's a big guy, too.  Your stride length will increase automatically, since you're spending a little more time in the air.  But other than that, you let the downhill do the work for you.  You shouldn't feel out of control unless you're flopping around a lot, or it's a very steep hill.  If the hill is extremely steep, he recommends walking down it, and resuming your run at the bottom.

If you're hitting hard on your heels, you're leaning back too much.  Also, don't exaggerate the arm swing, it's counterproductive (unlike going uphill). 

2007-01-12 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT
Lean forward just a bit when running downhill, and open up those strides.  Use gravity to your advantage!  The leaning seems unnatural, at first, but you will prevent damage to your feet and knees, and you will actually gain more control this way.  I can't beat fellow runners on the uphill for shite, but downhill, watch me fly!!  Once I learned to be comfortable with running downhill, I actually began to look forward to hills, b/c I knew I could beat people on the down-side and move up a few spots.

Edited by lobstergirl 2007-01-12 9:39 AM
2007-01-12 9:43 AM
in reply to: #652011

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

As Scout said, the accepted norm in the running world seems to be to make sure no matter which direction you are going (up or down) it is best to stick to keeping your body 90 degrees to the running surface.  I guess the premise is that it keeps your body in alignment so your form doesn't go to crap.

I'm going to need to ensure that my downhill running is smooth and consistent come April ..... people have said that little race I'm doing can make or break you with the downhill work in the first half .......

2007-01-12 9:55 AM
in reply to: #652017

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Daremo - 2007-01-12 9:43 AM

As Scout said, the accepted norm in the running world seems to be to make sure no matter which direction you are going (up or down) it is best to stick to keeping your body 90 degrees to the running surface.  I guess the premise is that it keeps your body in alignment so your form doesn't go to crap.

I'm going to need to ensure that my downhill running is smooth and consistent come April ..... people have said that little race I'm doing can make or break you with the downhill work in the first half .......

Oh it will!

Same as Rick and scout said, keep your body as if you were running on a flat surface. DO NOT lean backwards because this will cause you to break every step and don’t lean too much forward because that will through you out of balance.  You can basically either let yourself go and in order to keep your regular cadence (i.e. 180) you can lengthen your stride. Since you’ll be going down faster you still should be landing underneath your hips. Or you can keep your stride length the same but you’ll have to increase your cadence (i.e. 186-190). Again you’ll let your self go running a bit faster but the quicker smother steps should make you feel you are ‘rolling’ down the hill…

2007-01-12 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I had trouble in the past with this also, and I can say that I got the same advice as is being given above and it is all true and has worked for me. I used to dread going downhill but now see it as an opportunity to pick up the pace while actually lowering my heart rate.

I focus on (as mentioned above) imagining my legs as wheels, keeping good form, a quick and light turnover, and a slight lean forward. The key for me is to get the feet down in a good rhythm and not stretch out my stride.
2007-01-12 11:02 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Lots of great advice so far, I had similar problems (feeling out of control) after I had read some advice about leaning forward going downhill. After I returned to my normal lean, I felt much stronger and in control.

The other point that I think is crucial is to let your cadence come up - that way you can keep your stride short and help you maintain control.

Shane
2007-01-12 11:07 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Learn to use gravity going downhill.

The way I look at it is; my form should stay good, I shouldn't feel additional force on my heels on my foot strike, and my heart rate shouldn't go down.  

As others have stated, it's a great way to pass people and pick up a few places in a race. 

2007-01-12 11:37 AM
in reply to: #652179

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

gsmacleod - 2007-01-12 11:02 AM Lots of great advice so far, I had similar problems (feeling out of control) after I had read some advice about leaning forward going downhill. After I returned to my normal lean, I felt much stronger and in control. The other point that I think is crucial is to let your cadence come up - that way you can keep your stride short and help you maintain control. Shane

For me this was key.  Don't be deluded into thinking its less work than running on flats.  For me it IS harder and my HR and breathing do become more labored on a very steep downhill.  The point is the return on investment is WAY more than just running on flats so it is worth the extra effort.  I don't even feel like I'm trying to move my legs now, it just happens.  Once you nail it right on a few STEEP downhills it will be a lot easier to recapture the form on rolling downhills.  Those can really pay off too.

Going back to the OP, you already know 95% of what was suggested here, Chris, it just doesn't sound like you have the feel for it yet.  Find a pretty steep hill and try some hill repeats incorporating the tips people have suggested.  Something is sure to click with you and even if it doesn't the UPhill running will surely benefit you.  Of course, stay safe, I'm not suggesting you careen wildly out of control until the feeling hits you.  That's how I did it.

2007-01-12 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Chi running has a nice form for non run downable hills. You would be surprised what is considered run downable and not run downable though. The idea is to sit like in a chair and lift your feet 1 at a time. The idea is to shift the weight back and not so much on the feet. I would suggest the book if only for the hills because frankly I do better on a hilly course than I do on a non hilly course being 285 lbs that is alot .

2007-01-12 12:45 PM
in reply to: #652255

User image

Going back to the OP, you already know 95% of what was suggested here, Chris, it just doesn't sound like you have the feel for it yet.  Find a pretty steep hill and try some hill repeats incorporating the tips people have suggested.  Something is sure to click with you and even if it doesn't the UPhill running will surely benefit you.  Of course, stay safe, I'm not suggesting you careen wildly out of control until the feeling hits you.  That's how I did it.

LOL, yeah, my running partner and I found a grassy hill, he said that's where I should practice so if I do a face plant it's no big deal (well, less of a big deal).  Great.  Haven't done that since I was 12.

Thanks for all the great advice here.  Sounds like leaning forward so I am perpendicular and higher cadence are the two key things.  Something to work on.

2007-01-12 12:56 PM
in reply to: #652379

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
ChrisM - 2007-01-12 10:45 AM

LOL, yeah, my running partner and I found a grassy hill, he said that's where I should practice so if I do a face plant it's no big deal (well, less of a big deal).  Great.  Haven't done that since I was 12.

Thanks for all the great advice here.  Sounds like leaning forward so I am perpendicular and higher cadence are the two key things.  Something to work on.

Chris - as the ChiRunner said, if it is very steep, you should actually sit in an imaginary chair. I have practiced this. I can't imagine going at 90 degrees without putting yourself in jeapordy of falling down on a severe slope.

Signed,
Another Faithful ChiRunner

2007-01-12 1:38 PM
in reply to: #652255

User image

Extreme Veteran
hangloose - 2007-01-12 12:37 PM

gsmacleod - 2007-01-12 11:02 AM Don't be deluded into thinking its less work than running on flats.  For me it IS harder and my HR and breathing do become more labored on a very steep downhill.  The point is the return on investment is WAY more than just running on flats so it is worth the extra effort. 

I agree...if the hill is steep it can become a situation where it is more intense and my HR does go up due to the rapid turnover trying to keep up with gravity and I do agree that it is worth the work because the gain is high. However, I do still say that if the hill is not too steep it can be an increase in speed with reduced effort and lowered HR...at least in my experience.

Edited by tritank 2007-01-12 1:40 PM
2007-01-12 1:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Montreal
I love running down hills when I'm trail running. The advice given above is the same advice I'd been given before, and it seems to work for me (I'm 6'3" and 180 pounds). I think of it as a cadence exercise packed with a thrill (especially when the trail has a lot of turns).
2007-03-06 12:32 AM

User image

Here is an interesting artile on the subject.

http://www.mamashealth.com/run/downhill.asp 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running downhill.... Rss Feed