BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Older&Wiser Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2007-02-01 12:57 AM
in reply to: #652388

Subject: RE: Older&Wiser Group - FULL
Hi everyone
Yes rose, I have been to italy countless times. My father is south-tyrolian and was actually born in terni - some 100km north of rome. Before I got to "the holiest of all lands" - just kidding - I lived in austria, where I was born, and then lived about twelve years in Boston.
Italy is great and I am sure you miss the somewhat warmer weather right now. I am impressed how cold recilient you canadians are, remembering skating at -30 in Ottawa and there were lots of people doing the same as if it was no big deal at all. Even in austria it rarely gets so cold. So I use my canadian experience to brag about my own resistance to freezing temps, even though I am not even half as tuff as you guys are. For israeli standards however it's pretty good.
Israel is a very interesting country and although the news coming out of it are almost always negative, it's a good place to be. Jerusalem is certainly worth a visit.
For one thing - the weather where I live is almost always good (if sunshine translates to good)
In the summer it gets a bit too hot to exercise during the day of course, but in the early hours of the day it is perfect even then.
Right now I feel a bit drained - perhaps due to the long bikeride of the weekend - but I will hopfully pick it up again soon - easy does it.
So to all you polar bears - keep warm - I try to keep cool.
best
w.

2007-02-01 7:45 AM
in reply to: #667603

Hi all.........sorry for not putting my 2 cents in but I'll have to catch up with reading and posting every few days. I have 2 girls and I'm a work at home Dad and they have activities every day. So, not a lot of free time. I've been keeping up with the "couch to olympic" program. This week was back to the a higher time amount of training. Patricia is absolutely right about listening to your body. It is so easy to try to run faster or push yourself where you can hurt yourself. So far I've stayed motivated to stay with the exercise program. In another month the minutes dedicated to each work out increases to levels I've never done before in my life. I'm going to have questions Patricia, relating to how important is it to do other swim drills or strokes in training for a TRI. Right now I'm just doing only freestyle swimming for whatever minutes I'm suppose to swim that day. I'm not good at bilateral breathing and I've tried doing drills for my stroke but I just can't stay motivated because I can't do them properly. I'm fortunate because I can take a MASTER SWIM class at the Y. I did it last year(I struggled a lot)but its at 5:30 in the morning and I'm not motivated yet for that.

I just like to say the best results I've achieved whether it was weight loss or training for a 5k was from doing the training with a BUDDY. I'm looking to this forum or group as another form of a WORK-OUT BUDDY. So Patricia THANKS for your time and effort and everyone else here who will be my surrogate WORK-OUT BUDDY.
2007-02-02 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

10in of fresh powder here in the last 48hrs - this snow is to die for.  Skiing on it is like floating on clouds.  When I fall, it feels like I'm landing on the biggest, softest pillow.  Growing up in Hong Kong, it took a long time for me to figure out this Canadian winter thing.  Since I started skiing about 15 years ago, the winter feels so much shorter, and more enjoyable.  I'll never be as tough as those home grown Canadians but every time I go skiing in the Alps, I learn to embrace winter a little more.  Wolf, I know skiing is the national sport of Austria, but are you guys born with the national secret ski gene or do they send you to ski boot camp the minute you can stand?  You guys are truly awesome skiers, I'm a klutz on these planks.  Doesn't stop me from discovering that other Austrian secret though - in 1994, my husband and I were doing some spring skiing in Kitzbuhel, arguably the mecca for Austrian skiing.  The sun was shining, the air just cold enough you could see your every breath as you exhale.  After a hard day of skiing, we found ourselves at a sidewalk cafe, admiring the tyrolean winter landscape.  The apple strudel came, steaming hot, melting the ice cream beside it.  Oh, what a heavenly sensation as the strudel and the ice cream and the crisp clean mountain air dissolved in our mouths and we could taste and smell and even see the aroma rising into thin air from our every breath as we savoured every bite at this sidewalk cafe - Ah, that's my best apple strudel experience, one of my most memorable Austrian experiences, THAT'S LIFE!

Fast forward to 2007, I'm convinced this tri lifestyle will allow us to continue to indulge in these experiences without having to pay the price later in life.  Just like me, most of you seem to be struggling a little with the swim.  You can do breast stroke and you can walk in a tri, LOTS of people do it, so don't worry.  If you wear a wetsuit though, you cannot do breast stroke (suit is too restrictive and too buoyant).  So even though I can swim longer and faster in breast stroke, cold water makes me hyperventilate, so I opt for wetsuit and front "crawl".  However, we're blessed by the presence of Lynne in our group, the swim goddess amongst us.  Feb 1, she logged "swim - 40min, 2000m, 2min/100m.  Today is my rest day, so just an easy swim.  Nothing special."  EASY, NOTHING SPECIAL???  I go as HARD as I can, and maybe if the stars are all lined up, I may get one 100m in 2min.  Swimming is definitely the next topic I'd like to discuss, after weight loss / maintenance.  Jennifer, I noticed you're dead consistent with your weight.  Are you always like that?  What's your secret?  And Rose, you've dropped a few lbs since you started with us, what's your key?  I'd like to hear all your ideas as I truly believe our collective wisdom will help each of us reach the next level.  Together, we're more than the sum of our parts.  Angelo, you can count on us to be your buddies and we'll hold you accountable, to yourself.

2007-02-03 10:19 AM

Hi to all of you!
Patricia, 25 cm of fresh powder - the color reflecting from my monitor is sort of greenish - god I envy you.
Yes, Kitzbuehel is sort of a mecca among austrian skiing resorts - I grew up about 50 km away from it - in what they proudly call the "European Sport Region" Zell am See - Kaprun. One is hard pressed to think of a sport that cannot be done there. Even the winner of the olympic goldmedal is sailing (he won it 2x, I forgot which class though) comes from Zell am See, which actually means Zell on the Lake - The lake is quite small but rather deep and the water is cristall clear - drinking quality. I guess one has to make so many turns to avoid collission or stranding that one develops world class skills doing just that. Also the olympic nordic combination was won by a fellow from that small town (10.000 inhabitants). I bought my first car from his father.
Anyway, I had to return my toy, the HR monitor because the battery was low and no illumination or warning peep was forthcoming any longer.
Freed from technology I did a very uplifting jog yesterday - slow and easy - it felt really good. Today the forecast was for rainy weather but what rain means in the negev - I alredy told you that the annual total precipitation is 70mm. So I swung on my bike and off I went, feeling exalted because I was flying along - at least compared to what I am used to. Little did I notice that it was downwind and it's also a bit downhill - ok, this, even I noticed - until I hit the turning point, 25km away. As I turned around I was suddenly facing the wind and together whith the slight uphill terrain, I got to almost a stillstand. About 17km from home it started - surprise - to rain. First not seriously and I tried to estimate the drops that hit my face to distract myself from the struggle, but very soon it came to quite a downpour even you toughened americans/canadians whould have recognized as what it was - quite a bit of rain. My dear wife called me to make sure I was ok and though I wished a few minutes later I had agreed to her suggestion to come and pick me up - I refused - stupid macho behaviour of mine.
I was in my shorts and it took not very long to get soaking wet and quite cold - freezing cold in negev terms. Remember we are not used to this sort of things - it's sort of a shock when it happens.
Anyway to make a long story short I arrived finally at my home and that felt really good - probably much better than if I would have given in and let my darling pick me up. My HR monitor - I'm afraid would not have been satisfied with my performance because when I struggled on in the rain, all I wanted is to get this over with - never mind the advice to keep it slow and easy.
Slow it was for sure but not easy.
Geetings from the desert (where it sometimes rains as well) to you all.
Keep on doing what we set out to do and feel good doing just that.
best
wolf
e.g. swimming ...does my wet workout today count as a swimming as well? Think of it, I have too few and at the same time too many choices where I could swim, The next pool is 50km, the mediterranian sea is about 100km and the red sea is 130km away. I still could go to the dead sea which is about 80km from where I am - probably the best choice because even I would not drown there. And if I would- at least I'd be famous.
2007-02-03 4:34 PM
in reply to: #678025

Regular
San Luis Obispo, CA

Wolf - I checked your log and left a note BEFORE I read your workout story. Now I'm really impressed with your ride!

Think of it this way, as unpleasant as it may have been when you were riding, it was good practice. Unfortunately, race days don't insure perfect weather and some practice time in adverse conditions can be helpful when the weather doesn't cooperate for a race.

I've had many of what I call "good weather" workout buddies that refused to run when it was warm or swim when it was cold. These were the same ones that had issues during races when the weather conditions were less than perfect because they didn't know how to adjust to, or weren't used to the conditions.

2007-02-03 6:45 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

See our "collective wisdom" post on the first post of the last page.

Links: group summaryswolfbuying running shoesprogression to injury free runningsetting yourself up for success

Keys to  successful weight loss / maintenance – the following is based on our group's discussion and the 7 habits of highly effective dieters by Professor Jim Hill, who started the National Weight Control Registry where the average individual has maintained a weight loss of 67 pounds for five-and-a-half years:

1. Keep trying. Most people, over 90%, failed many times before they finally succeeded. 
  2. Don't deny yourself. Eat a little bit of everything but in moderation.
  3. Weigh yourself often, say every week. No denial. Don’t get too worked up about a pound or two. But when it creeps up, time to cut out the wine and cheese.
  4. Exercise an hour a day. You can’t lose weight and keep it off by dieting or exercising alone.
  5. Get other bits of physical activity into the daily routine.
  6. Eat a low fat, high carb diet, research shows this is the most effective diet for keeping weight off.
  7. Eat five meals a day starting with breakfast.
  8. Do a race that’s the same every year. Racing keeps us training. The same race makes it easier to compare our fitness level year over year and with others in our age group.
  9. Train with a BUDDY, provides camaraderie and mutual support. Join the BT mentor program.

Next topic - swim tips

Older&Wiser Group - Patricia, Wolf, Lynne, Jennifer, Malinda, Rose, Angelo, Jeff

Edited by patricia7 2007-03-16 11:45 AM

2007-02-03 6:56 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Anybody has any suggestions or nominations for this week's award?
2007-02-04 6:30 AM
in reply to: #678380

Owasso
For the awards--slug of the week or turtle of the week.

Slug would go to that person who forgot to work out or became the couch potatoe. Turtle of the week which would be a lot better award would go to that person who is persistant in working out and slowly but surely is progressing.
2007-02-04 5:55 PM
in reply to: #677480

NW Pennsylvania
Sounds absolutely fabulous Patricia--what great fun! As for my weight, as you can see by the last couple of days, I often go up and down a couple pounds or so within a day or two, even though I was unusually consistent this past week or so. I guess that would be part of my contribution to the words of older and wiser...I weigh myself every day to keep a sense of where my weight is so I don't get too crazy off track, but I also make it a point not to get too worked up about a pound or two one way or another on any given day. That way, if I'm concerned about gaining a couple of pounds sustained over a few days, I won't have that second helping of ice cream for a day or two. Thanks for all your energy in keeping up with all of us!
Jennifer
2007-02-05 10:15 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
In case some of you don't know, when you prefer more privacy, you can send private mail under "PM" button .  When you have private mail, the top left hand corner of the page will say you've new messages in your inbox.
2007-02-06 7:41 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Hi all,

I'm back from Aspen, although our luggage are still taking the scenic route around the world.  I apologize for being a couple of days late with my weekly wrap up, but here goes:

1.  Each of you is awesome this week – I should go away more often. Look at the graphs you’ve created on the left of your logs, everyone has raised the bar. Don’t you feel great? Pat yourself on the back and keep it up. The award for this week goes to everyone who has raised the bar on his/her graph – congratulations, Wolf, Lynne, Jennifer, Malinda, Rose and Angelo. Malinda, you’re too hard on yourself, over 200min in a week is no slug! Jeff has gone home for the weekend and is giving his knees another week of rest. Jeff, hope you feel better soon. Here are the standings so far:

Award

Wolf

Lynne

Jennifer

Malinda

Rose

Angelo

1. most inspiring training session – Jan 17

2. toughing it out

3. coolest idea – "swolf"

4. raising the bar

Overall winner – TBA

2.  Our team is awesome – Not sure if people are aware, but there are now over 120 mentors on this site, and we’re about 4th in # of views, with relatively few posts, and the top 3 had a 2-4 week headstart. Seems like there’re a lot of lurkers checking our thread for content and wisdom. Let’s keep up with what we’re doing and continue to ask questions, exchange info, share ideas and experiences to help each other reach our goals.

3.  Keys to successful weight loss / maintenance – Combining everyone’s ideas and also the 7 habits of highly effective dieters by Professor Jim Hill, who started the National Weight Control Registry where the average individual has maintained a weight loss of 67 pounds for five-and-a-half years, this is what we’ve got so far:

1. Keep trying. Most people, over 90 percent, failed many times before they finally succeeded.
  2. Don't deny yourself. Eat a little bit of everything but in moderation.
  3. Weigh yourself often, say every week. No denial. Don’t get too worked up about a pound or two. But when it creeps up, time to cut out the wine and cheese.
  4. Exercise an hour a day. You can’t lose weight and keep it off by dieting or exercising alone.
  5. Get other bits of physical activity into the daily routine.
  6. Eat a low fat, high carb diet, research shows this is the most effective diet for keeping weight off.
  7. Eat five meals a day starting with breakfast.
  8. Do a race that’s the same every year. Racing keeps us training. The same race makes it easier to compare our fitness level year over year and with others in our age group.
  9. Train with a BUDDY, provides camaraderie and mutual support. Join the BT mentor program.

Can anybody think of anything else? I’m going to put these in the first post of the page, which I’ll call our "collective wisdom" post, and add to it as we discuss other topics. I’ll include in it links to other important posts so we don’t have to search all over the place. I’d really like to start discussing swimming next week, unless people have other suggestions.

4.  Albums – There’s an album button where you can upload and share pictures in case people are wondering what it is. I’ll put up some of my various ski pictures eventually .

5.  Lynne is racing this weekend. We’re cheering for you Lynne!

Edited by patricia7 2007-02-06 8:51 PM

2007-02-07 1:18 AM

Boker tov everybody
It's great to read that we are doing ok. Welcome back Patricia from what sounds like a mega skiing vacation. You worked hard doing all these moguls (mugls) but I'm sure you had some time to relax as well.
Jeff – all the power to you for a speedy recovery and Lynne- I'm already nervous for you – good luck in your race.
This morning I felt I needed to check if the sun is doing her job – repairing my playground by sucking up most of the puddles and drying out the mud - but I must say I was a bit disappointed. She still has quite a bit of work to do.
I put on my "mud-armored" sneakers – as you guessed correctly I did neither find time nor energy to knock off the adobe bricks that attached themselves to me shoes and headed out for another slow and easy running exercise.
Once I lost most of the added weight – eventually the bricks crumbled off – I did fine. The terrain still looks like an aerial photograph of Minnesota, with "thousands" of lakes. But somehow I made it through – not gracefully like a gazelle leaping across the water channels, but plowing through it, more like the kind of animal whose meat we don't eat.
On my attempt to take some 800cals off my frame I startled a fox out off his dreams – He must have dreamt about an imminent earthquake sensing the vibration when I got near. He took off in a speed that I got dizzy just watching him. After about 200m of record-breaking speed he suddenly stopped and I think I saw him feeling his pulse to make sure that he is still within his HR limits. He must have overdone it because he just turned and slowly walked away.
Anyway I added a few hundred meters to the far end of my jog just to calm my conscience – claiming I jog 10k, but falling short of it.
Soon I'll adopt a more structured plan but I am having too much fun running around irresponsibly without much clue where I'm going. Losing body mass ( to be polite to myself) is what I concentrate on right now and yes – from below the hemisphere of my waist I can see more and more of my running shoes popping out forward - left right, left right….
Greeting to all of you… and Lynne – good luck.

2007-02-07 8:10 AM

Good morning everyone and good afternoon Wolf. You know I look forward to coming in every morning to read the new postings and this morning Wolf, you had me laughing (not chuckling) but laughing. Your account is so colourful I can picture it all in my mind. I have a question though. Where I live in Mississauga we are very close to the lake and therefore have alot of sand in the area. When it rains it takes no time for the water to be absorbed into the ground. Is the desert not like that too. How come you have so many puddles 2 days after the rain? And you would think that the earth is so parched it would absord the water right away. Can you explain this phenomenon to me?
2007-02-07 9:10 AM

Hi Rose
Yes, it seems strange that there are still puddles around after two days of not really that much rain. The reason is this. The ground is not sandy but it's a thick layer of loess with some sand mixt into it of couse - its somewhat like clay. As a matter of fact we can go to a riverbed after rain and collect perfect clay. The rain that falls, does not penetrate at all or only after a rather long downpour. Even then penetration is minimal. The rain runs off immediately and then we have spring floods where the waterlevel in dry riverbeds rises very very quickly. Every year some people get killed by being trapped in places where they cannot escape the flood. It's beautiful to watch though - from safe grounds.
best
wolf
2007-02-07 10:11 AM
in reply to: #682008

Hi all........this is my time to catch up. Very cold here on L.I. I did my monday work out. Swim/bike and made it thru it with out any real problems. In about an hour I will go to Y and do my swim/run. Thank goodess my local Y keeps the pool water nice and warm. Some people like it cooler but I like it warm. I want to mention I'm trying to organize a community FUN TRI. I'm the prez. of my homeowners assoc. and they liked the idea. I'm approaching the board of our local swim club(my daughter swims for it) and asking them if they would like to join in. So far feedback has been good. My interest in maybe doing a TRI and learning how to swim better ,really started with my now 11 yr, old daughter. She started swimming at age 9 for her club. I give all the kids in her swim club great credit for their had work in the pool. I believe swimming actually can improve a kids school grades, as it has done for my daughter. The discipline she needs and her work ethic involved in swimming has made her a better student. I believe this is also the case for us, who add discipline and hard work into our daily schedules by working out or eating healthier.

That's it for now. I'll try to update my training log. I'm just following the "couch to olympic " training program. Once it gets nicer outside, I'll tag along with a friend who has done TRI's before and get some inside info. I'll make sure I'll pass it along.

Angelo
2007-02-08 9:07 AM

Hi my supportive, ever so slightly age-challenged and wiser companions
I posted some photographs of the place we live and play around. I bragged so much about it that I thought I better show you some "evidence". All shots were taken this morning during my walk to nahal zin. Yes, I understand... in serious training one probably should not take a camera and stop when one wants to take a shot, but my HR is probably still so high that I'm actually "required" to stop once in a while. Excuses, excuses.....
enjoy

2007-02-08 10:44 AM
in reply to: #683804

Regular
San Luis Obispo, CA
2007-02-08 10:53 AM
in reply to: #683944

Regular
San Luis Obispo, CA
Sorry for the double post.

Wolf - Thank you for sharing your photos. The area you train in is beautiful! All those hills - no wonder your heartrate gets up there.
2007-02-11 4:31 AM
in reply to: #682008

Hi Patricia
I love you albums - especially the skiing album of course. I have to controll myself not to start yodelling watching it.
Aiguille de Midi...? know what you are talking about.
Scary to first hundred meters from the station to where you actually can start skiing...isn't it?
2007-02-11 8:13 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Hi all,

As Wolf noticed, I uploaded some pictures yesterday.  Aiguille du Midi – those words still send shivers down my spine, but what unforgettable memories!  Wolf, when were you there last and where do you think I should go skiing next, I’m still learning.  Now, back to business:

1. I’m pleased to report once again that we’re making great progress.  It’s now been 4 weeks, and that means working out is slowly becoming a habit for all of us.  I hope Jeff can resume his training next week, Jeff is considering switching to the "Couch to Sprint" program as the knees are not cooperating, and busy season is setting in.  Rose reaches a milestone – she ran for the first time, a few minutes as per her Couch to 5K plan.  Wolf gets more toys from Amazon and discovers Eric Harr’s programs.  Kudos to Angelo for trying to organize a community fun tri.  Malinda, Jennifer and I continue our base building quietly.   Lynne finishes the week with a bang – her weekly volume exceeds, for the first time, 1.2 mi swim + 56 mi bike + 13.1 mi, i.e. a Half Ironman (HIM) distance of 70.3, and caps the week off with a 10K race where she sets a PR!  Congratulations, Lynne for a great race and thank you, Wolf, for those amazing pictures, which inspire and motivate us all, so a √ as special recognition for your inspiration.  As important are the "inspire me" notes that all of you are writing each other, which I believe have been instrumental to our group’s success.  Standings thus far:
  2. Award

Wolf

Lynne

Jennifer

Malinda

Rose

Angelo

1. most inspiring training session – Jan 17

2. toughing it out

3. coolest idea – "swolf"

4. raising the bar

5. inspiring race / pictures

Overall winner – TBA

3. Call me slow, but I just found out this week about the new BT button  in the training logs.  You can integrate the route in your log, but I love the elevation graph which will help me find the closest, longest and steepest hill for my bike hill training come spring.
  4. SWIM – Let’s talk about swim.  Angelo has previously asked how important it is to do other swim drills or strokes in training for a TRI.  For myself, the 2 things that really made a huge difference to my swim:
    1. Do sets / drills instead of lap swimming – The idea is to focus on form / technique first, speed comes later.  Also, I’ve found doing sets / drills / other strokes reduce risk of overuse injury because they give your system valuable rest in between (eg arm drills let your legs rest, kick drills let your shoulders rest, seconds in between sets let you stretch, let your system rest and adapt).  Contrary to popular belief, practice does not make perfect, it only makes permanent.   Laps and laps of swimming with poor form only reinforce poor technique.   Only perfect practice makes perfect, and drills are the keys to perfect practice.  There’s no need to do every drill in the book, just focus on those that correct your bad habits / poor technique.  Of course, I still do test swims (lap swimming) periodically, once every 2-3 weeks.
    2. Find some feet to follow, whether in the pool or in a race – Everybody knows about the benefits of drafting in open water swimming, you can swim faster with less effort and save time on sighting.  2 of my very best swims happened when I found a person to follow.  In a pool, if you swim behind a person that’s slightly faster and try to reach for their toes on every stroke, it trains you to swim faster with a long efficient stroke.  Just make sure you don’t pull on their toes, they get very mad at you.

I have 2 questions:

1. Should we use HRM for swim training?
    2. Bilateral breathing – even though I normally breath every 3 strokes, any time I want to swim fast and at races, I feel I need more oxygen and end up breathing every 2 strokes and just changing the breathing side only occasionally.  Is that OK?

What’s everybody’s take? Questions? Ideas?  Bring them on.

I’ll combine everybody’s ideas in our "collective wisdom" post eventually. Here is a summary thus far, many of the tips are from Lynne’s prior posts. Let me know of any errors, omissions, etc…

General Tips:

1. Have someone (swim instructor, coach, experienced swimmer, etc.) look at your stroke and offer suggestions.   I've my stroke videotaped and found that helpful.
  2. DRILLS DO NOT HAVE TO BE DONE FAST!  They should be done as slowly as you need to do them correctly.

Technique / Drill Tips:

1. Swolf - swim golf, trains you swim faster with the most effective stroke count....

Edited by patricia7 2007-02-13 8:39 AM
2007-02-12 8:15 AM

Funny thing happen in the pool. I've been concerned about my swim training and more importantly my stroke. My daughter is on a swim club and I've been studying the better swimmers freestyle strokes. I've tried many resources on drills and stroke technique but this happen to me on SAT. at the Y.

I started my swim alone in my lane(7 a.m) and I was playing around again with my stroke. About a half hour into doing the same stroke, lap after lap, a women swimmer joins my lane. I just automatically stay on one side of the lane. I try to make sure I don't get in the way of someone who is a better swimmer than me. AND SHE WAS A LOT BETTER. As with the case of swimming, if you just swim laps, it can get pretty boring. I notice the other lanes were filled with several male swimmers each now. I looked to see if I recognized anybody. I did notice the guys were taking a glance every so often when stopping at the wall and checking out the woman swimming in my lane. They might have been impressed with her swimming ability but I think they were just checking her out , if you know what I mean. As I was about to end my 58 minute swim session, the women stops at the wall and says something to me. At first I didn't understand her. I wear ear plugs. But she also had her hand shielding her mouth. She repeated what she said,"Do you know you swim with straight arms?" Again she is holding her hand in front of her mouth. I notice 1 tooth sitting all by itself on the top of her mouth but everything in the front is missing! I could tell she was quite embarassed but she continued to give me a stroke lesson. She showed me exactly how my stroke should look. She apologized for her holding her hand in front of her mouth but she explained she just lost her teeth while swimming . I ask her if she needed help finding them. That's the least I could do for her invaluable stroke lesson she gave me. She said thank you but she found them. I then proceed to try what she had showed me. I LOOKED at out the clock and started at the 60 and did a 50 yd. free in 5 seconds less than my previous best time. YAAAHOOOOOO! I wanted to thank her but as I stopped at the wall, I saw her walking into the ladies locker room.

Now, I can't wait to do today's swim session and work on my NEW STROKE and to formally THANK HER.

2007-02-12 9:21 AM
in reply to: #687479

Wow..an hour long swim session...sounds exhausting. You can be proud. What a nice woman you met who showed you how to improve your stroke. Its even nicer because she did it at the cost of embarrassing herself by talking, instead of just rushing out of the water and taking care of her predicament. 5 seconds less per lap sounds a lot to me. I am a complete greenhorn when it comes to swimming. Once I swam 50 laps in an 25m pool, 100 times forth and back (with very strong push-offs from the wall that propelled my halfway through the pool without making any stroke .... I guess that's cheating, isn't it?) I ended up with a sunburn on my back that was worth writing home about and made me stay away from the pool for the rest of the season - which lasts here from end of june to the beginning of october with very restictive opening hours. When we go home from work - the pool closes. Isn't that great?

2007-02-12 11:27 AM
in reply to: #687616

Regular
San Luis Obispo, CA
Wolf - hard push-offs are not cheating. In fact, if you were on a swim team, you actually practice turns/push-offs.
2007-02-12 12:36 PM
in reply to: #687154

Regular
San Luis Obispo, CA
Here's my input with regards to Patricia's swim questions. Most triathletes I've seen don't use HRM during swim training. Although most monitors are "water resistant", I've heard about a lot of problems with the watch portion due to water leakage. A lot of monitors tell you its OK to wear them in water, but just don't push the buttons while you are in the water. I've also heared complaints that it is hard to keep the strap in place.

Bilateral breathing - Supposedly it keeps your stroke balanced. I breath only to my left side, unless I need to see something on the right. I have tried breathing bilaterally many, many, many times and I always go back to one sided breathing. I'm no faster when I breath bilaterally and I'm much more comfortable with one sided breathing. I think some swim instructors push bilateral breathing on beginning swimmers before the swimmer is comfortable in the water. I think you should do whatever feels best for you.

I worked with a group of newbie swimmers last year and the biggest problem all of them had was the bilateral breathing. They were taking lessons from a swim instructor who insisted they breath bilaterally. These girls were having problems swimming 1 length of the pool and trying to learn to breath to both sides was just making things worse. I told them to relax and breath as much as they wanted. Most switched to one sided breathing and we saw immediate improvement.

2007-02-12 4:28 PM
in reply to: #687479

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

acfutures - 2007-02-12 9:15 AM Funny thing happen in the pool. ...But she also had her hand shielding her mouth. She repeated what she said,"Do you know you swim with straight arms?" Again she is holding her hand in front of her mouth. I notice 1 tooth sitting all by itself on the top of her mouth but everything in the front is missing! I could tell she was quite embarassed but she continued to give me a stroke lesson. She showed me exactly how my stroke should look. She apologized for her holding her hand in front of her mouth but she explained she just lost her teeth while swimming... 

I was laughing so hard as I read your post.  How did she lose her teeth while swimming?  I never realize how dangerous swimming can be!  Now, when you say swimming with straight arms,  do you mean straight arms during recovery or straight arms pulling under water?  2 important points in your post -

1. Useful to check out the strokes of better swimmers.  I found the better the swimmer, the lower their stroke count, almost always under 20 per 25m. 
  2. Important to swim against pace clock to know if you're improving with stroke modification.

Lynne, I feel so much better after what you said.  If you breath on one side, then it must be OK! 

Edited by patricia7 2007-02-12 4:29 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Older&Wiser Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9