BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Older&Wiser Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2007-03-16 1:21 PM
in reply to: #652388

Owasso
Subject: RE: Older&Wiser Group - FULL
Ok everybody, lean over and swat me!
On Wednesday nights, I started roller skating again with friends. I can make it around the rink and not land on my bum but that is about it. My friends are part of a local roller derby team--remember the old fashioned roller derby--it is back.

Tomorrow is my big day to bring up the back of the pack. The local tri group is having a mock tri just to try and get the transitions down. They put out the invite. I told them that I was a back of the packer but they said come anyway. So tomorrow, I get to try--200 yard swim (the pool is too small with only 2 lanes and bunch of us) 13 mile bike and 3 mile run. We shall see what type of time I get. The people that I have met so far in the tri group are competitive with fancy bikes.

2007-03-16 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Malinda, before you know it, you'll be the roller derby queen.   Must feel like 15 again.  Good luck on your mock tri, have lots of fun.  I'm dying to race, but nothing out there until May.   BTW, congrats on your new bike, let us know how it works out for you.  We want pictures!

2007-03-17 3:37 PM

Owasso
Well, I wimped out. Pick the excuse.
1. My husband adjusted the brakes on my new bike and made them so killywampus that the wheel would not turn. That meant that I had to ride the commuter bike.
2. It was only 42 degrees this morning. We had to turn on the heat in the house last night.
3. I do not like to be wet when I ride.
4. There was no area that was private to change clothes. None of my bathing suits has enough support to be able to run and not bounce.

Bottom line: This is probably not what I need to be thinking about doing. A leisurely ride through on the bike path is sounding quite reasonable.
2007-03-18 3:24 PM

sorry guys for the double posting.... senility gets the better of me.

Edited by womoha 2007-03-18 3:32 PM
2007-03-18 3:27 PM

Hi All
Sorry for the mute line again from the holy land, that is holy only in name.
Had another crazy schedule and little time to log but I managed to get out to woggle, huff and puff and whatever else happens when I get going. This was a mixed week that brought good as well as not so good news. Perhaps you know that I had a physical, and the results are not bad in general but there are some problems with cholesterol and in related areas. The big shocker was when I triumphantly hopped on the scale in the infirmary, proudly grinning at the nurse - now watch this, I have news for you – I lost some wei….what? that can't be – impossible - the numbers on this wicked scale jumped to 90kg.
Ok, I was fully clothed but I did not wear my ski boots or any other super heavy gear that I could have blamed for this. My home scale is slowly dipping towards 84 – when I weigh myself after brushing teeth, shaving, blowing my nose and clipping finger and toe nails. I already made plans to announce the news to the world that I managed to lose one whole kg after all these weeks…. and now this. What a set back!.
On Thursday I got out to woggle to the airfield but rain made me change my plan – it's too darn muddy when it rains. So I woggled around aimlessly in the midrasha until the time was up. I can have longer workouts right in the morning – up to two hours – depending when I get out, since my commute to work is only 45 seconds if I hit rush hour. If not I make it in 30.
I bet you are all green in your faces now but sorry I' m not going to trade with any of you. Granted, cultural interests take a beating when one lives at the worlds butt, but hey – even we have some chamber music ensemble once in a while playing their hearts out for us, the culturally deprived. Otherwise we organize our fun things ourselves. Sometimes it's a lot of fun and sometimes it's not, to see all the time the same people who know every minute detail of everybody's live. "I thought you have your tea with one spoon of sugar, when did you decide to have none?" Oh, you want to lose weight again…I see."
Anyway it started out as usual, I woggled but suddenly it rained on me from a perfectly blue sky. Yes, there were dark clouds a bit further away on the horizon but above my head were none. We are not particularly surprised about such things, after all, this is a place where many unexplainable events like this happened in the past - fire falling from the sky, an entire sea being split because one guy swung the magic stick – as I said, such things seem to happen all the time in the holiest of lands.
On Friday the situation did not look much better because the rain was here to stay and so I went out photographing the flood. I'll update my album with some new shots if I have time. It was awfully muddy and I have photographic proof of how loaded my sneakers got with the cement like mud, after stomping around in it, like a little boy.
On Saturday it was still on and off raining – this year turned out to be the wettest I remember – but I managed to get a decent work-out done and this made me happy.
I hope everybody is doing well and I wish all of you a happy and successful week
Warmest greetings from the muddy Negev.

Edited by womoha 2007-03-18 3:29 PM
2007-03-18 3:27 PM

Hi All
Sorry for the mute line again from the holy land, that is holy only in name.
Had another crazy schedule and little time to log but I managed to get out to woggle, huff and puff and whatever else happens when I get going. This was a mixed week that brought good as well as not so good news. Perhaps you know that I had a physical, and the results are not bad in general but there are some problems with cholesterol and in related areas. The big shocker was when I triumphantly hopped on the scale in the infirmary, proudly grinning at the nurse - now watch this, I have news for you – I lost some wei….what? that can't be – impossible - the numbers on this wicked scale jumped to 90kg.
Ok, I was fully clothed but I did not wear my ski boots or any other super heavy gear that I could have blamed for this. My home scale is slowly dipping towards 84 – when I weigh myself after brushing teeth, shaving, blowing my nose and clipping finger and toe nails. I already made plans to announce the news to the world that I managed to lose one whole kg after all these weeks…. and now this. What a set back!.
On Thursday I got out to woggle to the airfield but rain made me change my plan – it's too darn muddy when it rains. So I woggled around aimlessly in the midrasha until the time was up. I can have longer workouts right in the morning – up to two hours – depending when I get out, since my commute to work is only 45 seconds if I hit rush hour. If not I make it in 30.
I bet you are all green in your faces now but sorry I' m not going to trade with any of you. Granted, cultural interests take a beating when one lives at the worlds butt, but hey – even we have some chamber music ensemble once in a while playing their hearts out for us, the culturally deprived. Otherwise we organize our fun things ourselves. Sometimes it's a lot of fun and sometimes it's not, to see all the time the same people who know every minute detail of everybody's live. "I thought you have your tea with one spoon of sugar, when did you decide to have none?" Oh, you want to lose weight again…I see."
Anyway it started out as usual, I woggled but suddenly it rained on me from a perfectly blue sky. Yes, there were dark clouds a bit further away on the horizon but above my head were none. We are not particularly surprised about such things, after all, this is a place where many unexplainable events like this happened in the past - fire falling from the sky, an entire sea being split because one guy swung the magic stick – as I said, such things seem to happen all the time in the holiest of lands.
On Friday the situation did not look much better because the rain was here to stay and so I went out photographing the flood. I'll update my album with some new shots if I have time. It was awfully muddy and I have photographic proof of how loaded my sneakers got with the cement like mud, after stomping around in it, like a little boy.
On Saturday it was still on and off raining – this year turned out to be the wettest I remember – but I managed to get a decent work-out done and this made me happy.
I hope everybody is doing well and I wish all of you a happy and successful week
Warmest greetings from the muddy Negev.

2007-03-18 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

This is our "collective wisdom" post, which is regularly updated, so check back often.  Don’t get overwhelmed by it.   Pick what’s relevant to you and come back periodically for new ideas.  Don’t try to do all of it all of the time, just some of it some of the time, or even all of the time, or all of it some of the time.

Links: group summaryprogression to injury free runningbuying running shoessetting yourself up for successcycling tipsaward standings,  

The following is based on our discussion so far.  Let me know of any errors, omissions, etc…  I've set up links to some of our key posts above, so people don't have to search all over for it.  If there're other ones you'd like me to link, let me know.

SWIM:  General Tips:

1. Have someone (swim instructor, coach, experienced swimmer, etc.) look at your stroke and offer suggestions.  Or even have others videotaped your stroke.
  2. Do sets / drills instead of lap swimming – Contrary to popular belief, practice does not make perfect, it only makes permanent.  Laps and laps of swimming with poor form only reinforce poor technique.  Only perfect practice makes perfect, and drills are the keys to perfect practice.  Doing sets / drills / other strokes also reduce risk of overuse injury because they give your system valuable rest in between (eg arm drills let your legs rest, kick drills let your shoulders rest, seconds in between sets let your system rest, etc).
  3. DRILLS DO NOT HAVE TO BE DONE FAST! They should be done as slowly as you need to do them correctly.
  4. Find some feet to follow, whether in the pool or in a race – Everybody knows about the benefits of drafting in open water swimming, you can swim faster with less effort and save time on sighting.  But even in a pool, if you swim behind a person that’s slightly faster and try to reach for their toes on every stroke, it forces you to swim faster with a long efficient stroke.
  5. Check out the strokes of better swimmers.  The better the swimmer, the lower the stroke count, almost always under 20 per 25m.
  6. Count your stroke/lap so you become more aware of your efficiency.
  7. Swim against pace clock so you become more aware of your pace, and whether a stroke modification is working.

Technique / Drill Tips:

1. Swim downhill - Think about pressing down towards the bottom of the pool with your chest. (Not your head, just your chest.)  This will help get your legs/hips up.
  2. Swim taller - Each stroke, say to yourself, "The most important thing I do with my hand is lengthen my body. "Reach! Reach! Reach!" This will give you a longer stroke and a longer, sleeker vessel, allowing you to slice far more easily through the water.  But remember to press your chest down and swim downhill or this technique may seem impossible.
  3. Swim from side to side - Think of swimming as rotating your body on an axis from side to side.  Breathe by rolling your body to where the air is – rather than lifting or turning your head.
  4. Swolf - swim golf, trains you swim faster with the most effective stroke count.
  5. Lots of swim drill videos at this site
  6. The classic drill for high bent elbow recovery is the fingertip drag drill, click on video here - Aside from the nice bent elbow recovery, the video shows a very nice long stroke, arm is stretched and straight before underwater pull and body rotates on an axis from side to side.
  7. Stroke count can also be reduced if you delay your pull, i.e. don’t start pulling right away, wait till your recovery arm is at 10-11 o’clock position, but not quite a full catch-up. They call it "front-quadrant swimming".   The video mentioned in 6 demonstrates this quite nicely too.

Check out the ultimate tri swim training video by accomplished triathlete / coach Wes Hobson.

One stroke at a time:

"Effort - The spirit to win and the will to excel are always measured one stroke at a time"

Just keep swimming swimming swimming (click for audio clip)

Staying Motivated - Tips The following are tricks I’ve used over the years to stay motivated - [Mostly from http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1996/07_96/y_ex.htm & http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=540

Staying motivated is tough for all exercisers—even true jocks. A variety of techniques, though, can help you stick with it.  Pick and choose the ones below that suit you.

• Register for a race.    Racing keeps us training.   It provides focus, a short term goal, something to look forward to.  Putting $$MONEY$$ down to register for a race has a way of giving a little extra kick when the training goes stale.
  • Celebrate success. Reward yourself for sustaining an exercise program.  Pat yourself on the back.  Buy that finish line race picture.  Eat a special meal, or treat yourself in some other way—a new jogging outfit, perhaps.  
  • The 5min rule. If you're feeling lethargic, tell yourself you'll just do a 5min workout. Then, once you are up and out, you probably will decide to do a full-blown workout.
  • Have a plan.   Plan ahead so you know what you’re supposed to do on a daily / weekly / annual basis.  The failure to plan is a plan for failure.  BT Programs are great.  
  • Set a higher goal. Gain satisfaction from achieving goals. Try to jog a bit farther or for a bit longer than the session before.  But don't fret over minor setbacks—improve over weeks and months.
  • Distract yourself. When working out on an exercising machine, read, watch TV, or listen to tunes.  But don't wear earphones when exercising outside near traffic.
  • Buddying up. By working out with a partner, you can inspire and encourage one another—and spend more time with a friend.  BT mentor program does wonders.  Or join a tri club, running group or cycling club.
  • Change quickly. Change directly from work clothes into workout clothes. This will keep you from getting sidetracked.
  • Variety is the spice. Use a variety of activities to keep things interesting. Triathlon training is varied by its very nature.   Also, change the duration or intensity of your workout.  Or try new scenery.  Or try something totally different, skiing, volleyball, yoga…
  • Logging in. Keep a diary of daily exercise accomplishments. It will help you track your progress and can serve as reinforcement.   BT Training Logs are great for this purpose.
  • Wake-up call. Exercising first thing in the morning means only one shower and dressing session. But remember that not everyone's body—or mind!—is suited for it.  If you have a heart problem or may be at risk for one, check with your doctor first.
  • Straight expectations. Fitness takes time. If you've put on weight, don't expect it to disappear in 3 weeks!

Keys to successful weight loss / maintenance – the following is based on our group's discussion and the 7 habits of highly effective dieters by Professor Jim Hill, who started the National Weight Control Registry where the average individual has maintained a weight loss of 67 pounds for five-and-a-half years:

1. Keep trying. Most people, over 90%, failed many times before they finally succeeded. 
  2. Don't deny yourself. Eat a little bit of everything but in moderation.
  3. Weigh yourself often, say every week. No denial. Don’t get too worked up about a pound or two. But when it creeps up, time to cut out the wine and cheese.
  4. Exercise an hour a day. You can’t lose weight and keep it off by dieting or exercising alone.
  5. Get other bits of physical activity into the daily routine.
  6. Eat a low fat, high carb diet, research shows this is the most effective diet for keeping weight off.
  7. Eat five meals a day starting with breakfast.
  8. Do a race that’s the same every year. Racing keeps us training. The same race makes it easier to compare our fitness level year over year and with others in our age group.
  9. Train with a BUDDY, provides camaraderie and mutual support. Join the BT mentor program.
  10. Next topic - TBA

Older&Wiser Group - Patricia, Wolf, Lynne, Jennifer, Malinda, Rose, Angelo, Jeff

Edited by patricia7 2007-04-08 9:38 PM
2007-03-18 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Wolf, what are you doing to me, messing me up with your double posting so I lost the prime spot for our collective wisdom post.  Well, not to worry, I'm sure our group is smart enough to look one post further down for it. Sorry about the weight thing; my philosophy is stick to one scale - the one that gives the best reading! 

This has been a quiet week, with Lynne out of town and Rose on vacation.  Jennifer keeps a low profile but keeps on ticking.  Malinda is generating all the excitement, almost doing a mock tri, getting a new bike and going roller skating, yes roller skating, not rollerblading – so I think Malinda deserves a "young at heart" award for this week -

Award

Wolf

Lynne

Jennifer

Malinda

Rose

Patricia

Angelo

1. most inspiring training session – Jan 17

2. toughing it out

3. coolest idea – "swolf"

4. raising the bar

5. inspiring race / pictures

6. breakthrough wt loss

7. Older&Wiser

8. Raising the bar / gold medal of inspiration (Wolf)

√√

9. Young at heart

Overall – TBA

As I was preparing for my weekly post, I thought about how all of you have families and lives and somehow find time to train and how many people out there have similar families and lives but cannot find time to exercise.  In BT article Go Ahead...Tri and Balance, the author shares her thoughts and experience on the issue.  Perhaps being Older&Wiser, we’ve finally figured it out, life is about choices, priorities and balance!  No exercise = no health = no energy to enjoy family / no life.  So give yourselves a pat on the back for sticking with it and keep it up, my Older&Wiser friends!!  Happy training…

Edited by patricia7 2007-03-19 9:40 AM
2007-03-21 12:46 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Great to see Lynne and Rose back logging workouts.  Looks like both of you were able to get in a few workouts when you’re out of town / on vacation.  That’s hard to do and kudos to you both! 

I felt really tired this morning.  Not sure whether that’s because I didn’t sleep well or the changes in weather are bringing on my migraines.  So I followed BT 5min rule of training – I told myself I’d get up and walk for 5min, and if I still didn’t feel well, I’d go back to sleep.  So I got up, walked for 5min, didn’t feel so good, but not so bad, and walked for another 5min, then ran for 5min, then walked a bit more.  Ended up walking for maybe 20min and running 10min!

The following are tricks I’ve used over the years to stay motivated - [Mostly from http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1996/07_96/y_ex.htm & http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=540]

Staying motivated is tough for all exercisers—even true jocks. A variety of techniques, though, can help you stick with it.  Pick and choose the ones below that suit you.

• Register for a race.    Racing keeps us training.   It provides focus, a short term goal, something to look forward to.  Putting $$MONEY$$ down to register for a race has a way of giving a little extra kick when the training goes stale.
  • Celebrate success. Reward yourself for sustaining an exercise program.  Pat yourself on the back.  Buy that finish line race picture.  Eat a special meal, or treat yourself in some other way—a new jogging outfit, perhaps.   I celebrated my 10 yr anniversary of tri by training for the Cdn Tri championships, qualifying for the Worlds, racing in Switzerland, relaxing in Paris after, making a video as momento, all of which will hopefully keep me going for at least another 10years...
  • The 5min rule. If you're feeling lethargic, tell yourself you'll just do a 5min workout. Then, once you are up and out, you probably will decide to do a full-blown workout.
  • Set a higher goal. Gain satisfaction from achieving goals. Try to jog a bit farther or for a bit longer than the session before.  But don't fret over minor setbacks—improve over weeks and months.
  • Distract yourself. When working out on an exercising machine, read, watch TV, or listen to tunes.  But don't wear earphones when exercising outside near traffic.
  • Buddying up. By working out with a partner, you can inspire and encourage one another—and spend more time with a friend.  BT mentor program does wonders.  Or join a tri club, running group or cycling club.
  • Change quickly. Change directly from work clothes into workout clothes. This will keep you from getting sidetracked.
  • Variety is the spice. Use a variety of activities to keep things interesting. Triathlon training is varied by its very nature.   Also, change the duration or intensity of your workout.  Or try new scenery.  Or try something totally different, skiing, volleyball, yoga…
  • Logging in. Keep a diary of daily exercise accomplishments. It will help you track your progress and can serve as reinforcement.   BT Training Logs are great for this purpose.
  • Wake-up call. Exercising first thing in the morning means only one shower and dressing session. But remember that not everyone's body—or mind!—is suited for it.  If you have a heart problem or may be at risk for one, check with your doctor first.
  • Straight expectations. Fitness takes time. If you've put on weight, don't expect it to disappear in 3 weeks!
Hope some of above helps.   Does anybody have others they can share?

Edited by patricia7 2007-03-21 1:07 PM
2007-03-22 8:13 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

My midweek bike picture - Saluting Malinda and her new bike:

"Enthusiasm - Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."  Mark Twain

Edited by patricia7 2007-03-24 8:44 PM
2007-03-23 12:11 AM
in reply to: #726672

Regular
San Luis Obispo, CA
Hey Malinda - finally getting caught up on the postings. I wouldn't consider it wimping out. Sometimes we just aren't mentally ready to face the challenge. There is nothing wrong with that.
I've "wimped out" on plenty of workouts, including practice swims in a local lake last year. I really hate swimming lakes even with a wetsuit. I've done it in races - no problem, but I just can't do it when it is optional.

I understand the cold/lack of changing facilities. The few times I've ridden wet when it was cold, I was absolutely miserable. I try to avoid it at all costs. During practice tris, I'm the one that hurries into the locker room to dry off and put on my biking/running gear so I'm as dry/warm as possible on the ride. I'd rather be warm and dry and have to catch up to the others than cold and uncomfortable.

Just remember that not all workouts/races are done under perfect conditions. Start thinking about how to overcome those unplanned obstacles. (Extra clothing for the cold, checking out your bike well before the race, etc.)

2007-03-23 7:29 AM

Owasso
Hello all,
I have yet to take my new bike out on a longer ride than around the block. I know I need to switch bikes but certain anatomy parts are adjusted to the old bike.

I found out last night that homeward bound commuters really don't like bikes on their roads. I have a normal path that I ride on early on Sunday mornings which I rode last night. I got honked at and of course, got the one finger salute.

This weekend, I have class so I will not be out there on the bike or in the pool.

2007-03-23 2:24 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Just want to add one more point to the tips post on staying motivated, something most of us are already doing:

• Have a plan.   Plan ahead so you know what you’re supposed to do on a daily / weekly / annual basis.  The failure to plan is a plan for failure.  BT Programs are great.  (Unless of course you’re Wolf, who doesn’t have a structured plan but obviously has no problems sticking with it.)

Malinda, I know what you mean about unfriendly drivers.  I was in Alpharetta, Georgia in 2002 for the Duathlon World Championships.   Athletes from around the world were cycling in this industrial area during the week prior to race day.   A lot of drivers just refused to share the road, even though it’s a pretty big event.   They came very close to us and one driver actually knocked one of our teammates off her bike!   Even though it’s illegal in Canada, sometimes it’s safer to ride on the sidewalk.   No such problem in Europe, apparently.   And I'm lucky - where I live, sometimes there're more cyclists than drivers on the weekend.   Just be careful, Malinda, cyclists are pretty defenseless relative to drivers. 

Edited by patricia7 2007-03-24 10:53 AM
2007-03-25 9:40 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Hi all,

Everybody is back and working out and logging.  I’m pleased to report that all your charts look spectacular.  This group rocks!  I’ll call this week’s award the swatch award, after the swiss watch,   and we must give it to Jennifer.  As Wolf noted, Jennifer operates like a swatch, never missing a beat, and she has the most colourful chart of all of us, 4-5 colours every week for the last month, just like the colourful swatch watches.  Current standings -

Award

Wolf

Lynne

Jennifer

Malinda

Rose

Patricia

Angelo

2. toughing it out

4. raising the bar

6. breakthrough wt loss

7. Older&Wiser

√√

9. Young at heart

10. "swatch"

Overall – TBA

As can be seen from the above, we’re now 10wks into the program.  You’ve all done great and are totally awesome!  Presumably, everybody has incorporated exercise as part of his/her lifestyle?

This BT mentor program is intended to be a 3-month program, so I’d like to hear what everybody wants to do after wk 12.  BTW, stop working out is not an option!  Ron hasn’t decided whether to move the mentor forum, or hide it, or whatever.  In any case, all of us are logging our workouts and I believe the Training Logs and Inspires have been the most useful and helpful part of the program for this group.  Consequently, I propose that we keep the group together and continue to log and inspire each other till the end of the season.  Going into April and past wk 12, I’d be very busy at work and so cannot commit to posting twice a week or doing awards or answering your questions on a timely basis, nor do I know what would happen to this thread.  So if there’re any questions / topics you want to discuss as a group on this thread, we should try to do it in the next 2 weeks.  I understand, however, Lynne would be very busy this week and may not have time to post.  Alternatively, if you want to keep this thread going, perhaps everybody can take turns doing a weekly post & award after wk 12 until they shut us down?  What does everybody think?  I’m open to suggestions.

Collective wisdom post is here.

Edited by patricia7 2007-03-26 8:42 AM
2007-03-28 8:03 AM

Patricia, you have given us very big shoes to fill. You have been a wonderful mentor full of resources and a great source of inspiration. I love the idea of keeping the group together after the 12 week period. I am not interested in doing a weekly post however. This is all too new for me and I don't feel that I really have any valuable insights to offer to the group at this time.
2007-03-28 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Hi all,

Malinda has posted a picture of her receiving her medal.  Nice pic, Malinda.

I played around with the BMR calculator and Harris Benedict Equation on this site and found out that a sedentary 199 lb 46 yr old woman and a 115lb moderately active woman has the same caloric needs!   Hard to believe. 

Lynne's discipline (and the above #'s) has inspired me to set a higher standard.  I'm announcing here that I WILL NOT SKIP more than 1 workout / wk in April, no matter how busy I am.   When the time comes, I'll just pack up and go swimming, or running, or whatever.  That's it!  Because...

Edited by patricia7 2007-03-28 9:13 PM

2007-03-29 7:35 AM

Owasso
Hey Group:

What I didn't realize is that my photo album was messed up. My highest weight picture is the only one that was showing. I have gotten the ice storm photo up and hopefully working.
2007-03-29 8:44 AM
in reply to: #741329

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Yep, the second one is even nicer.   Definitely shows you've lost some weight.   Your hard work is paying off (on at least 2 counts). 
2007-03-30 1:08 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Good thing it's rest day today.  Didn't get home until 11:30pm last night from my downtown business meeting and dinner.  Not only was the downtown business dinner way too late and way too much red meat, after I logged in the #'s, the calories and fat info made me sick to my stomach (1500 cal and 80g of fat, 50% more than my daily intake!).  Until I logged and see the actual calculations,  I would not have believed how bad it was!!  I actually thought at the time I did ok, I didn't feel stuffed after the meal at all, and I only had an 8oz filet mignon, the smallest portion in the finest steakhouse in Toronto (my boss had 16oz) and no sour cream on my potatoes (my boss poured about a cup on his) and no dessert!!  Thank goodness for the BT Nutrition Logs, I would never have guessed the huge difference between perception and reality.  I had previously considered myself quite knowledgeable about these #'s, even giving advice to people!

(If you want to see how the dinner added up to 1500cal, go to my Training Logs, under Blog bar, which is under the Program button ,  click on "Nutrition" and you can see full details.  Pretty revealing.  Click "Actual" under Blog to get back to swim/bike/run logs.)

Edited by patricia7 2007-03-30 1:31 PM
2007-04-01 9:07 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Hi all,

Hurray, all the snow has melted so I got to ride outside for the first time yesterday.  March is over and looking back, some of you may think you had some setbacks last month.  Malinda gained a few lbs.  Wolf was under the weather and Rose was taking in water during her swims at the beginning of March.  Lynne couldn’t do much when she was recovering from surgery and then got very busy later in the month.  But I’d like you all to look at the BIG PICTURE.  Malinda looks absolutely radiant in her recent March pic.  Wolf and Jennifer have now mastered the HRM.  Rose just set another new low in her stroke count.  And Lynne still averaged in March more training minutes than a 70.3 / wk. 

It doesn’t matter whether you skip a day here or a day there, what matters is the BIG picture, your lifestyle, that you’re working out consistently every week, every month, every year, year after year without injury and continuously improving.  For shorter races (sprints and oly), you’ll achieve your goal if you train 3-5hrs/wk; for longer races (70.3 and up), you’ll have the endurance if your training volume / wk is greater than your expected race duration.  As illustrated in the following table, ALL of you, Wolf, Lynne, Jennifer, Malinda and Rose, are doing great.  If you click on your name, you’ll see a graph of this BIG PICTURE I’m talking about.

Mar – avg hr/wk

YTD – avg hr/wk

Goal – Race Duration

Patricia

Oly

3hr

Wolf

Sprint

2hr

Lynne

6hr

Jennifer

Sprint

2hr

Malinda

Sprint

2hr

Rose

1hr

Strive to maintain or improve on these weekly averages in the coming weeks and months, and I’ve no doubt you’ll achieve your goal.  So everybody gets a √ for the BIG PICTURE award.  We’ll announce the overall winner next week, although I think we’re already all winners as clearly demonstrated in the table above.  Current standings:

Award

Wolf

Lynne

Jennifer

Malinda

Rose

Patricia

2. toughing it out

4. raising the bar

6. breakthrough wt loss

7. Older&Wiser

√√

9. Young at heart

10. "swatch"

11. Big picture

Overall – TBA

For those who listen to your ipod/mp3’s on the treadmill, I just discovered the tri-talk podcasts.  Episode 35 is about the top 20 gear / resource / equipment that would make you race faster.  Of course, 95% of your race performance is based on your training and genetics.  Gear / resource / equipment mentioned in the podcast refers to the other 5% that can make a difference to your racing.  Most bang for your buck:

1. Self coaching resource, eg Triathlete’s Training Bible – 120sec saved - $0.14/sec;
  2. Hydration system, eg Profile Aero Drink – 33sec saved - $0.52/sec;
  3. Professional Bike Fit – 120sec saved - $1.25/sec.

For the rest of the top 20 and rankings based on other criteria, see printed report here

Collective wisdom post is here.

Good luck to all in your training next week...

Edited by patricia7 2007-04-07 2:59 PM
2007-04-02 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Chag Sameach to Wolf.

2007-04-03 8:20 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Just saw the women’s 800m final of the World Aquatics Championships (Melbourne) that I taped on the weekend.  The top 2 girls (a French and an American) were doing about 49 and 44 strokes /50m respectively, and about 32 sec /50m.  Translate to swolf count = 32 + 24 (French) / 22 (American) = 56 / 54 respectively. They hardly kick at all. The French girl led most of the way but the Amercian (with lower stroke count) won at the end.  Not very good quality but the race is here on you-tube too.

Edited by patricia7 2007-04-05 9:50 AM
2007-04-05 7:22 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

When I signed up to be a mentor in Jan, the intention was to give back a little of what the sport has given me.  Over the last 12 wks, I got a lot more out of the mentor program than I had expected.  I believe each of us, including myself, has accomplished more together than we could have individually. So this is a most appropriate swim (I know, this is a stretch) pic for my midweek inspiration -

Teamwork - Teamwork is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results

Posting a swim / bike / run picture every week has been fun for me, and I’m proud to say, a feature unique only to the Older&Wiser thread.  And who says accountants are not creative!  Only the first swim, bike and run picture are from my personal collection.  It was going to end there, and then I managed to find more gems on the internet (although I had to doctor some).  Pics are certainly easier to read than a 1,000 words, esp since I can’t write, so I hope you’ve enjoyed them.  I think I’ve one more pic for my weekend post.  After that, it would be nice if you’d go to my Mentor Pic Album and leave a comment to let me know which is/are your favourite(s).

Happy Easter everyone!

2007-04-08 7:42 AM
in reply to: #745163

Thanks Patricia for the well wishes for pessach. Happy Easter to all of you who celebrate it.
I missed both the seder and easter due to the silly schedule of my trip.
Next year will be better again in this regard.
Happy easter and don't eat to many eggs
best
wolf
2007-04-08 11:02 AM
in reply to: #752799

NW Pennsylvania
Hi All,

I have been meaning to weigh in (so to speak) on the continuation of our group. I have SO greatly appreciated Patricia's wisdom and guidance as well as the guidance and support of everyone else over the last couple of months. I can tell you that there has been many a day where I might not have been able to overcome the inertia to get to the gym if I didn't know that there would be an "Inspire me" or a tip, or just the opportunity to see what others of you were doing at the end of the day. I would like to figure out a way to keep our group going...

Even though I feel like I'm not doing much fancy in the workout world (goodness knows I have very low weekly averages!) or making huge progress, getting positive feedback helps me keep racking up minutes and miles, thanks to all of your support! I have to say, Patricia's tip for the long slow distance has been great and especially helpful. I actually really look forward to that time--especially since the run is on Saturday and I have started to run outside (despite our return of winter!). The personal schedule and the goals have really helped focus my work out attention.

Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy your Easter. My husband and are both half Jewish, so we tend to do Passover. We had a long and late seder on Friday night which made getting up for a long run on Saturday both more necessary and more difficult!

I hope everyone has a great workout week and that you are having some spring weather, unlike me!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Older&Wiser Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9