BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Older&Wiser Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2007-01-12 12:53 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Subject: Older&Wiser Group - FULL

I feel very fortunate to have lucked into the sport. Thanks to the sport, I’m healthier and fitter now in my 40's than when I’m in my 20’s. I’d love to share whatever knowledge and wisdom I have to help you lose weight, get healthy, achieve your goals, reach your dreams, or simply be your best.

NAME: patricia7 / patricia

STORY: I’m a 46 year old female professional accountant (CA & CPA) who started exercising 10 years ago, first riding a stationary bike, then running around the block, then swimming, then try-a-tri, then last year, to celebrate my 10 year anniversary in the sport, I qualified for and competed at the Triathlon World Championships in Lausanne, Switzerland. I tri for fitness, and my objective is to be able to swim, bike and run till I’m in my 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, etc… I try to focus on long term health and fitness rather than short term performance. Performance will come naturally when we’re healthy and injury free, as only then can we train consistently and improve continuously. Perhaps as a result of this rather boring approach, I’ve been able to set some kind of PB every year, culminating at the Worlds last year, which I’ll never forget for as long as I live.

FAMILY STATUS: happily married to Henry for 13 years, with no children.

CURRENT TRAINING: I don't have a coach and I put together my own 52 week periodization schedule. Planning and strategizing are part of the fun. Currently 3 bikes and 2 runs a week, mostly base building. Will starting swimming next month. Average 4-5 hours a week over the year. Sprint and Olympic distances. Not extremely technical, sometimes use a heart rate monitor, aim for 4+ workouts a week consistently.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: I did my first ever Olympic distance triathlon last year, qualifying for the World Championships. My second ever Olympic distance triathlon is the Triathlon World Championships in Lausanne, Switzerland. Check out my video: http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-5785814540802562880&pr=goog-sl&hl=en-CA  

2007 RACES: 2007 Canadian Triathlon Championships (Olympic Distance) + 5 sprints  

WEIGHTLOSS: Didn’t gain or lose any weight over the last 10 years, even though I eat a lot more and am a lot fitter now. As I had no weight problem, I probably wouldn’t have lucked into the sport if I had just focused on weight. When we focus on health and fitness, weight loss will happen naturally.

Edited by patricia7 2007-01-17 12:52 PM

2007-01-13 3:51 AM
in reply to: #652388

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Older&Wiser Group - OPEN
Congrats on the world championship entry! Seriously impressed here.

Hope your team gets up and running soon. Sounds like you have much to share.
2007-01-13 8:49 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Hi everybody, Wish I knew about the mentor program when it first started up in December. Better late than never, I'm offering my services now, if anybody is still looking for a mentor.
Cheers, Patricia

Edited by patricia7 2007-01-14 7:34 AM
2007-01-14 3:57 PM

Northern Virginia
I'm an old couch potato trying to get back into shape after sitting on my butt for too many years. I'm also a CPA in a new job in the DC area. I'm using the winter maintenance program but I'm struggling with the run. I think the high impact on the treadmill is giving me tendonitis in my knee. My family is still in Cincinnati, so I should have plenty of time to train, in spite of tax season. I could probably use a mentor.
2007-01-14 4:41 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Hi!

Hey, although I'm already on a team, can I be a 'lurker' on your team? I didn't really get physically fit minded til my mid 30's (after quitting smoking), then found tris last year at 43 but want to keep active and aspire to an Oly by 45 if not this summer.

By the way, that is totally awesome about the World Championships! Gave me goosebumps to watch that video!

2007-01-15 3:56 AM
in reply to: #653812

Hi Patricia
I just turned 50 and my birthday photograhs shocked me quite a bit. Is that overweight guy there really me? time to do something about it. I read about the mentor program and - although I did not think I would join in at this point, I feel that I want to be part of your group because I like your philosophy a lot. I joined a group here in Israel - in the Negev desert were the sun always shines and the winters are very mild - to train for a sprint triathlon -sometimes down the line.
So - I would be very glad if you would accept me in your group.
best
wolf

2007-01-15 10:27 AM
in reply to: #654180

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
jbwcpa - 2007-01-14 4:57 PM

I'm an old couch potato trying to get back into shape after sitting on my butt for too many years. I'm also a CPA in a new job in the DC area. I'm using the winter maintenance program but I'm struggling with the run. I think the high impact on the treadmill is giving me tendonitis in my knee. My family is still in Cincinnati, so I should have plenty of time to train, in spite of tax season. I could probably use a mentor.

Hi fellow CPA,
Welcome to the group, I’m so excited to have you with us. I too was a couch potato for many years before I started exercising. Taking the first step is half the battle, so congratulations; you’re on your way.

Winter maintenance program –
1. Looks like the plan you selected is for “an athlete who is coming off a season where they have already raced a Sprint Distance triathlon or they are looking at a very basic start up program”.
2. If your knees are hurting, it may be “too much, too soon”, the #1 cause of injury.
3. When choosing a plan, (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=19) “starting out running may very well be NOT the best thing to start up with... This will be too much impact on your unconditioned knees and could bring on injuries. The safest route would be to start a biking or swimming program combined with some strength training and along with a good diet to start preconditioning yourself so that when you add running in, you will not be prone to injury.”
4. So keep up your bike and swim and strength exercises to build a base first. Strength exercises will definitely help you burn more calories while at rest. Keep it up. I should do some myself. I’ll give you some more ideas to prevent running injuries later.
5. Take a look at the Beginner Exercise Program (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=730)

Pain and Injury –
1. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. I can’t emphasize this enough. I’m convinced that pain is your body's way of telling you to stop, something is wrong, listen to it.
2. Most of all, do not exercise through pain. Cross train instead, that’s the magic of triathlon training. If running causes pain, swim and bike until your body is ready.
3. Do what you are capable of. We’re all built differently. My swim sucks and I’d love to improve my swimming. However, my musculoskeletal structure just wasn’t built for swimming. So I swim easy a couple of times a week, 7-8 months a year; because I know anything more, I develop rotator cuff tendinitis.
4. If any pain persists, go see a doctor.

Overall, your goals are realistic and so are very achievable. When you exercise and eat right, weight loss is twice as effective. Are you making any modifications to your eating habits? Can you share with us one such modification?

2007-01-15 10:28 AM
in reply to: #654213

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
BbMoozer - 2007-01-14 5:41 PM

Hi!

Hey, although I'm already on a team, can I be a 'lurker' on your team? I didn't really get physically fit minded til my mid 30's (after quitting smoking), then found tris last year at 43 but want to keep active and aspire to an Oly by 45 if not this summer.

By the way, that is totally awesome about the World Championships! Gave me goosebumps to watch that video!

Hi lurker,
Congrats on quitting smoking, good for you! I’m honored to have you as “lurker”. May I ask which group you’re in? And feel free to share with us any insights you gain with your group.
2007-01-15 11:33 AM
in reply to: #654838

Northern Virginia
patricia7 - 2007-01-15 11:27 AMWinter maintenance program –
2. If your knees are hurting, it may be “too much, too soon”, the #1 cause of injury.
3. When choosing a plan, (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=19) “starting out running may very well be NOT the best thing to start up with... This will be too much impact on your unconditioned knees and could bring on injuries. The safest route would be to start a biking or swimming program combined with some strength training and along with a good diet to start preconditioning yourself so that when you add running in, you will not be prone to injury.”
4. So keep up your bike and swim and strength exercises to build a base first. Strength exercises will definitely help you burn more calories while at rest. Keep it up. I should do some myself. I’ll give you some more ideas to prevent running injuries later.

Pain and Injury –
2. Most of all, do not exercise through pain. Cross train instead, that’s the magic of triathlon training. If running causes pain, swim and bike until your body is ready.
4. If any pain persists, go see a doctor.

Overall, your goals are realistic and so are very achievable. When you exercise and eat right, weight loss is twice as effective. Are you making any modifications to your eating habits? Can you share with us one such modification?

I'm considering walking instead of running on the treadmill to see if that helps. A trainer also suggested that I use the ellipitcal to replace the running to eliminate the impact. I also need to find a doctor.

As far as eating habits go, I was doing better before I moved. But since I've been living as a bachelor these past two months (family hasn't moved yet), I've been eating just because. So this week I'm working on not eating after 9:00 and making sure I'm hydrated. I sometimes eat when I should be drinking water. I need to get back out of the habit of eating for recreation. I have no interest in dieting, but I do want to eat smarter.

Thanks for your help!
2007-01-15 12:39 PM

Regular
San Luis Obispo, CA
Can I join your group? 47 year old female. I come from a competitive swimming background. (Swam Masters for 13 years) Did my first sprint tri in 2004. A couple of more tris in 2005, along with some running races. In 2006, I did my first Oly and a marathon. I plan to do a HIM in July of this year. I'm very interested in how you put together your training schedule. I put in a lot of time training, but it always seems random and not well planned.

I've got a friend that I train with in the mornings 2-3 times a week, but we usually end up doing what is on her schedule (she's got a coach and is trying to go pro). My personal trainer at the gym got me into triathlons, but her experience with triathlons is the same as mine and her workout schedule leaves me feeling like I'm not training enough.

I work full time, so the bulk of my weekday training is in the early morning. My weakness is the bike.

Lynne/iswimslo
2007-01-15 8:18 PM
in reply to: #654535

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
womoha - 2007-01-15 4:56 AM

Hi Patricia
I just turned 50 and my birthday photograhs shocked me quite a bit. Is that overweight guy there really me? time to do something about it. I read about the mentor program and - although I did not think I would join in at this point, I feel that I want to be part of your group because I like your philosophy a lot. I joined a group here in Israel - in the Negev desert were the sun always shines and the winters are very mild - to train for a sprint triathlon -sometimes down the line.
So - I would be very glad if you would accept me in your group.
best
wolf

Welcome aboard Wolf. Takes a lot of courage to admit one is overweight and do something about it. You’ve made a giant step in the right direction, congrats.

I’m so jealous that you get to live where the sun always shines and the winters are mild. So you have no excuses not to train then, just remember to use sunscreen. I'd encourage you to set some goals and log your workouts (under Logs at the bottom of your post or Training Log at the top) so we can encourage each other and hold each other accountable. Please also tell us a little bit about your current training plan.

Patricia

2007-01-15 8:34 PM

NW Pennsylvania
Hi Patricia,
I would like to join your mentor group--do you still have room? I'm 45 (certainly count for the "older" category) and did my first sprint triathlon this past Sept. I would really like to improve my time and technique and maybe eventually work up to an Olympic distance. I struggle to fit in workout time with my job and my husband, two kids, seven cats and a rabbit. Any room for me?
Jennifer
2007-01-15 10:07 PM
in reply to: #655104

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
iswimslo - 2007-01-15 1:39 PM

Can I join your group? 47 year old female. I come from a competitive swimming background. (Swam Masters for 13 years) Did my first sprint tri in 2004. A couple of more tris in 2005, along with some running races. In 2006, I did my first Oly and a marathon. I plan to do a HIM in July of this year. I'm very interested in how you put together your training schedule. I put in a lot of time training, but it always seems random and not well planned.

I've got a friend that I train with in the mornings 2-3 times a week, but we usually end up doing what is on her schedule (she's got a coach and is trying to go pro). My personal trainer at the gym got me into triathlons, but her experience with triathlons is the same as mine and her workout schedule leaves me feeling like I'm not training enough.

I work full time, so the bulk of my weekday training is in the early morning. My weakness is the bike.

Lynne/iswimslo

Hi Lynne,
I’m so glad you decided to join our group. We’re in the same age group, bike and run at about the same level. The big difference is you call yourself iswimslo, but I really swim slow. Swimming is my weakest link, and I’m really looking forward to us helping each other out in the coming months.

Congrats on your Castle to Coast race. I also left a comment on your log. If I may ask you a few stupid questions:
1. When you train with your friend, how exactly does that work? Do both of you do exactly the same workout, or what?
2. What makes you feel you’re not training enough?
3. How is your personal trainer’s workout schedule put together?
4. What do these abbreviations on your log mean - c 706 1:10 hz 19 fz

Patricia
2007-01-16 6:37 AM
in reply to: #655725

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
JHellwarth - 2007-01-15 9:34 PM

Hi Patricia,
I would like to join your mentor group--do you still have room? I'm 45 (certainly count for the "older" category) and did my first sprint triathlon this past Sept. I would really like to improve my time and technique and maybe eventually work up to an Olympic distance. I struggle to fit in workout time with my job and my husband, two kids, seven cats and a rabbit. Any room for me?
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,
Not sure about room for your seven cats and the rabbit, but we definitely have room for you. Congrats on your first tri, was it what you thought it would be? I was really scared at my first tri, heart was pumping but I was so happy when I didn't drown and finish the race in one piece. What an adventure. I'd encourage you to set some goals and log your workouts (under Logs at the bottom of your post or Training Log at the top) so we can encourage each other and hold each other accountable. Please also tell us a little bit about your current training plan.
2007-01-16 8:05 AM
in reply to: #654841

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Hi Patricia:

I'm on Jennbunn1e's team. She's been great with inspiration and is a very accomplished athlete at her age. (in my 20's, I was more interested in looking thin vs. being fit).

I'm also surprised at your level of fitness without having tons and tons of training hours. You must be a natural!

2007-01-16 9:04 AM
in reply to: #654965

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Hi jpwcpa,
BTW, I left a comment on your Jan 14 and 15 log, and we also don’t know your name yet.

I absolutely agree with your point about dieting, which results in the weight going up and down like a yo-yo, which adds even more stress to the body. Eating smart and in moderation are the smart way to go. So just put as one of your goals on the blog “No eating after 9:00” as a reminder.

Now, what’s your running background? How’s the tendinitis? How was your 15min on the elliptical trainer? Some people take to the trainer, but others get injured because of the rather unnatural motion. If you’ve never run before, the most conservative approach is to stick to your swim, bike and strength exercises until a base is built. When your plan says run, just switch it to another bike workout. At the end of the day, it’s total calories expended, doesn’t matter whether they come from swim, bike or run.

If you want to try walking, I highly recommend Jeff Galloway’s site at http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/beginners.html. The progression to injury free running is as follows:
1. Start with walking. Build up gradually until you can walk 30min easy,
2. Then switch to brisk walking,
3. Then insert 3-4 100yard jogs in the 30min walk,
4. Then Start with jogging one to two minutes and walking two to three minutes,
5. As your training level increases you can adjust your run/walk ratio to running 5 minutes/walking one minute on your long runs.

Don’t forget proper shoes, warm up slowly, and stretch after each run. Consider icing your knee after each run. There’s also deep water running but I wouldn’t get into it at this time.
Patricia

Edited by patricia7 2007-01-16 9:10 AM

2007-01-16 9:24 AM
in reply to: #655707

Hi Patricia
Thanks for accepting me into your group.
As I mentioned I just started out again and my training is rather sporadic although I try to follow some of jeff galloway's sugestion about how to get up and running. I walk/jog (mostly jog) with short walking segments of one minute or so. Last workout was two days ago and I managed to stretch it to over an hour - very slow though - to burn fat according to the gospel of jeff.
I also jumped on my mountain-bike - yesterday - and managed an hour, but it was hard again to get used to. (hard to sit on my extended back today)
Swimming is a problem because I live in the desert (notoriously scarcity of water and the next pool is 50km away), but we'll manage, I hope. I am a lousy swimmer and can't do more than two length "freestyle" where the emphasis in my swimming is on free (or weird) and less on style. Breaststokes I do about as many as one is required to do in a sprint triathlon.
So I better get soon into some more coherent training to move into the right direction. I want to do a sprint sometimes this year - that's the goal.
best
wolf
2007-01-16 10:19 AM
in reply to: #656129

Northern Virginia
patricia7 - 2007-01-16 10:04 AM

Hi jpwcpa,
BTW, I left a comment on your Jan 14 and 15 log, and we also don’t know your name yet.

Now, what’s your running background? How’s the tendinitis? How was your 15min on the elliptical trainer?

If you want to try walking, I highly recommend Jeff Galloway’s site at http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/beginners.html. The progression to injury free running is as follows:
1. Start with walking. Build up gradually until you can walk 30min easy,
2. Then switch to brisk walking,
3. Then insert 3-4 100yard jogs in the 30min walk,
4. Then Start with jogging one to two minutes and walking two to three minutes,
5. As your training level increases you can adjust your run/walk ratio to running 5 minutes/walking one minute on your long runs.

Don’t forget proper shoes, warm up slowly, and stretch after each run. Consider icing your knee after each run. There’s also deep water running but I wouldn’t get into it at this time.
Patricia

My name is Jeff. My running background is 1/4 miler in high school. Mile relay finalist. Former Marine 26 years ago. Ran off and on until 16 years ago (got CPA). Started working out again August 2006.

The 15 minutes on the ellipitical really worked me. I can see its a lot different from running. Part of it was getting used to it. Knee was fine throughout. I tried walking on the treadmill and it was a bust. The treadmill is out for now. Theres an 11 mile bike/run path on the Potomac behind my office building that I may try walking. I had pretty much done your steps 1-5 back in the fall. I have good running shoes that I use whenever I walk or run. I need to stretch more. Are treadmills harder on the joints than pavement?

Edited by jbwcpa 2007-01-16 10:20 AM
2007-01-16 10:45 AM

Owasso
May I please join this group?

I am a 48 year old who can run 30 minutes nonstop, bike 40 minutes and swim 20 minutes but not all at the same time. I started off the New Year with a 3x balanced training program and was going fine until the weather hit. For the past 4 days, I have been at home because of the ice storm. Until last Thursday, I was on track. The ice is expected to last all week so the only training I can get in will be indoors at the office gym.
2007-01-16 12:58 PM
in reply to: #655843

Regular
San Luis Obispo, CA
Patricia:

Thanks for letting me join the group. It's exciting to be part of a group whose members are all about the same age. I'd be happy to help you however I can with swimming. Below are the answers to your questions.

1. Generally my friend and I do the same workout or at least a portion of it together. For example, yesterday her schedule called for a 60 min/3000-4000 meter swim followed by a 90 min bike ride. Due to my work schedule (she's a stay-at-home Mom), we did the swim together. Today she had a bike workout which included a 30 minute workout on the stationary bike at the gym and ab/core work. I did the stationary bike portion with her, then did 30 minutes on the treadmill with 10 minutes of abs. Friday we will swim together.

2. When I look at some of the training programs online, my friend's schedule and my race schedule I feel I need to spend more time training given some of the longer events I've scheduled this year. Part of the problem is that I'm a competitive person. Except for my first marathon, I don't train to "finish" an event. I like to race and see if I can improve my performance from race to race.

3. Typical schedule from the trainer would be Sun-off; M - bike 60min, run 20min; T - swim 30; W off; Th -run 45 min; F - bike 90, swim 20; S - long run 60-90 min. A workout might be specified as a certain training zone (based on heart rate monitor), easy or hard, hill work or sprint.

4. Trainer has encouraged me to wear a heart rate monitor. I've been using one she gave me which shows how long I'm in each of the training zones (hz=heart zone/under 65%; fz=fitness zone/65-80% and pz=performance zone which is over 80%. Avg=average heartrate for the session. C=calories. I've gotten into the habit of noting these on my log just in case she asks. I prefer to use my Polar monitor, which I plan to resume using next week.

Lynne
2007-01-17 9:45 AM
in reply to: #656266

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

playfulplatypus - 2007-01-16 11:45 AM May I please join this group? I am a 48 year old who can run 30 minutes nonstop, bike 40 minutes and swim 20 minutes but not all at the same time. I started off the New Year with a 3x balanced training program and was going fine until the weather hit. For the past 4 days, I have been at home because of the ice storm. Until last Thursday, I was on track. The ice is expected to last all week so the only training I can get in will be indoors at the office gym.

Hi playfulplatypus,

Thanks for joining – you made us complete. BTW, you forgot to tell us your name.  Now, where is this ice storm, can’t tell where you’re from. With regards to the 3x balanced plan, is this the sprint or Olympic distance program?  Can you put your goals on your blog, and let us know a bit about your tri background. 

Patricia

Edited by patricia7 2007-01-17 10:58 AM

2007-01-17 11:03 AM
in reply to: #657532

Owasso
where is this ice storm, can’t tell where you’re from. With regards to the 3x balanced plan, is this the sprint or Olympic distance program? Can you put your goals on your blog, and let us know a bit about your tri background

I am currently living in Owasso which is 12 miles north of Tulsa. The area east and south of Tulsa has been on the national news lately with the ice situation. The ice in my area is only on the ground but is at least 3 inches thick. It is a skating course down the driveway to the major roads. Once you get on the major roads, then it is somewhat clear.

My goal is just to be able to enter a sprint in the April timeframe and not look like a complete idiot. I am a complete beginner in this program. My main goal is to be able to lose 40 lbs this year. I only lost a grand total of 9 last year.
2007-01-17 11:35 AM
in reply to: #656032

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Hi bbmoozer,

Definitely not a natural - I was actually a sickly little kid, never really athletic.  I thought 400m, once around the track, was a Long Run.  Starting older in life ain’t bad, because hopefully, we’re wiser.  Hence the name for this group.   I don’t have tons of training hours because I’m not sure if my body can tolerate the wear and tear over the long term.  I strive for an efficient training plan that achieves my goals with the least training time.  My motto: Train smart, not hard.  Learn from other people’s mistakes; we don’t have enough time to make our own.  Which is why I’m on this forum learning from other people and doing my bit so others won’t have to repeat my mistakes. 

Patricia

2007-01-17 12:01 PM
in reply to: #656512

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Hi all,
We now have a FULL complement.  INTRODUCING … the Older&Wiser Group:

Older&Wiser Group

User name - Name
Goal
Plan
patricia7 - Patricia
Canada
Cdn tri championships
personalized
1 jbwcpa   - Jeff
N Virginia
weight
winter maintenance
2 womoha  - Wolf
Israel
sprint tri
Eric Harr's
3 iswimslo - Lynne
San Luis Obispo, CAVineman 70.3
Personal trainer
4 JHellwarth - Jennifer
Meadville, PA
Oly tri
sprint winter maintenance
5 playfulplatypus - Malinda
Owasso, OK
weight, sprint tri
3x sprint balanced-> 2x balanced bike focused
6 rblahuta - Rose
Canada
weight, 5K
Couch to 5K
7 acfutures - Angelo
Long Island, NYweight, Oly triCouch to Oly

So what do you think?  I know we’re all older, hope we’re wiser too.  I’d love to see everyone come up with a wise saying after your signature.  One thing I really like about moving up an age group is that with attrition, your placing always looks more respectable - I could never be 3 / 30 but 3 / 6, that’s quite doable.  Let me know how to fill in the blanks or if I’ve made any mistakes. 

Just a reminder I’m not a coach.  We’re here to help each other achieve our goals.  I’m relatively new to the site, I can’t believe the amount of resources here and how powerful the training log is. The training log is a great tool to monitor our progress and hold ourselves accountable.  Let’s all use this feature to:
1.      put down our goals,
2.      log our workouts,
3.      list everybody as friends,  Or just copy the table on mine and paste it on to yours.
4.      check on each other’s progress and encourage each other (there’s a spot to leave comments to inspire each other). 

I encourage everyone to ask questions, share ideas, suggestions, and experiences so we can learn from each other.   I hope to answer all your questions and respond to emails within 72 hours.

Jeff – Didn’t realize you were a competitive swimmer and runner.  You’re way too modest in your intro, to the point I was mislead into believing you’re a beginner.  Hope the elliptical trainer works for you.  Did you have any knee problems running before? How much do you weigh then?  Did your knees give you any problem when you’re walking in the fall? If your knees are already conditioned with walking, I just can’t understand what brought the tendinitis on. My understanding is that treadmill is generally less impact than pavements.  Stretching may help.  Icing after workout may help (definitely prevented a lot of my rotator cuff tendinitis). You may also want to try deep water running, i.e. strap floatation device around waist and run in deep water.  This simulates running except without the impact.   Does anybody have any other suggestions?

On your carbonated drink thing, just thought you’d like to know that a friend of mine reduced his intake of pop from 4 to 1.5-2 cans a day and lost 10 pounds last month just from this one change.  Hope you’ll get similar success. 

Wolf – You may want to pick out a sprint training plan on this site.  Given the issue with pool access, whenever the plan says swim, just switch it to walk / run or bike, preferably bike because it’s non impact like the swim.  The important thing is to get in a few workouts each week consistently, even if short, and train up to the endurance level of the sprint tri.  Once you’ve the endurance, and you don’t drown during the swim, the rest is a cinch.  BOP swimmers, like me, mean we can’t do any worse the rest of the race.

Lynne – Ms Overachiever.  Sometimes, I wonder if all triathletes are overachievers.  I actually think your training plan is not bad.  Working out with your friend, who is trying to go pro, not only provides structure and camaraderie, but she probably raises the bar; and that’s positive.  Besides, I don’t think she skips workouts like normal people, which force you to be disciplined too.   It’s hard to tell whether the workout schedule provided by your PT follows some sort of periodization (i.e. base building, intensity, peak, race, recovery) building up to your ‘A’ races.  If not, you’ll need to make some modifications.  I assume Vineman is your ‘A’ race, any others?  I do notice your race season is rather long, which may detract from a more focused plan.  Since weather here in southern Ontario is not like California, all tris are held in Jun – Aug, which makes it easy, from a scheduling standpoint, to build a base in the winter, peak for races and recover after the race season.  I like my schedule on a giant excel spreadsheet so I can see the big picture at a glance.  Have you looked at the half-ironman schedule on this site - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... There’s also Sleamaker’s from Serious Training for Endurance Athletes.  If you don’t have this, I can email it to you.  I suggest you use these plans, focus on the ‘A’ races and work backwards to see what you come up with so you can compare to the PT schedule.     

Jennifer – For some reason, I can’t access you log.  Could be your settings, please check.  If you haven’t already done so, put down your goals and start logging your workouts.  What training plan are you using, there are some great ones on this site.   

Playfulplatypus – BTW, still don’t know your name.  If you don’t have a training plan, take a look at the ones on the site and pick one. 

Cheers, Patricia
YOU’RE ONLY AS YOUNG AS YOUR HEART

Edited by patricia7 2007-03-21 10:27 AM
2007-01-17 1:20 PM
in reply to: #657845

Northern Virginia
patricia7 - 2007-01-17 1:01 PM

Jeff – Didn’t realize you were a competitive swimmer and runner.  You’re way too modest in your intro, to the point I was mislead into believing you’re a beginner.  Hope the elliptical trainer works for you.  Did you have any knee problems running before? How much do you weigh then?  Did your knees give you any problem when you’re walking in the fall? If your knees are already conditioned with walking, I just can’t understand what brought the tendinitis on. My understanding is that treadmill is generally less impact than pavements.  Stretching may help.  Icing after workout may help (definitely prevented a lot of my rotator cuff tendinitis). You may also want to try deep water running, i.e. strap floatation device around waist and run in deep water.  This simulates running except without the impact.   Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Competitive swimmer an runner from about 30 years and 60 pounds ago. BTW, I'm 48. I've never had trouble with the knees before. I'm guessing that its from the extra weight and inactivity. The little running I did in the fall didn't give me any trouble, other than the general feeling ofnot being able to get enough air and molton lead in the calves. I also want to pay more attention to foot placement when I start running again. Sloppy running could be a contributor. I plan on continuing with the elliptical for the time being and hold off on the deep water running. I've also been meaning to ice the knee.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Older&Wiser Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9