General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sudden heel / back of ankle pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-14 11:58 AM

Expert
Golden, CO
Subject: Sudden heel / back of ankle pain
I woke up yesterday and stepped out of bed to have a searing pain in the very back of the heel and running a short way up the back tendon - I have never had problems like this before and did nothing the day before which would cause such an injury.  I do not think it is heel spurs but when I do touch the bone at the very back of the foot  it is painful when I push on it..like I banged it against something.  There is also a slight bump which seems like there could be fluid in it?  Any ideas?  Today is worse than yesterday

2007-01-14 5:52 PM
in reply to: #654061

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Sudden heel / back of ankle pain
Sounds like an achilles tendinitis....there is a bursa that can become inflamed which would result in the bump.  ice rest stretch NSAIDs if you are able.  If it doen's improve ina week or so go see you doc   Hope this helps
2007-01-16 11:11 AM
in reply to: #654277

Expert
Golden, CO

You win Sue..the doc agreed with your diagnosis..gave me some clinoril and told me to not run and to bike very carefully for the next two weeks.   What has both of us confused is how it happened. The week before I literally did nothing and I have never had problems like this before.    This morning was about 100% better than the last 3 days.

Thanks.

2007-01-16 9:13 PM

User image

Winter Springs Fl.
WOW, this is too weird. I just came the Dr. myself with the exact same issue. Never had the problem before, just all the sudden woke up with it. Weird huh
I woke up last Thursday after a Wed. Swim session. I did research myself and found what I thought I had was Achilles tendonitis.
The Dr. took x-rays to ensure there was nothing more. One thing he was looking for was a small fracture caused by the tendon pulling a small chip or crack out of the heel bone. I was lucky and did not have that, just the inflammation and pain.
He gave me a cortisone shot and told me ice it and take alieve or advil.
So I am going to take a couple days off of running and riding and just swim using more of my upper body and focus on my strokes, but will still be able to maintain some cardio.

Good luck with that

clint
2007-01-18 11:04 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Not a doctor, but I've had a bout of AT in the past, doctors recommended stretching the calf, specifically doing the stretch where you place your toes/front of your foot on a step and drop the heel. Thirty secons with the leg straight, and thirty seconds with the knee slightly bent.

Here's an illustration:

http://www.racewalk.com/Stretching/CalfStretches02.asp

2007-01-18 12:17 PM

User image

Winter Springs Fl.
jdbadger - I was wondering how your heel was doing. Mine is still the same, SORE. I have been icing it down and taking advil and trying to stay off it as much as possible.
Just wanted to see if you had any good or what yoru doing to help "HEEL" the heel?

clint

2007-01-18 6:17 PM

Expert
Golden, CO
Amazingly the pain went almost completely away on the fourth day.  I have been taking clinoril twice a day and have not done anything on the foot other than the usual walking that I need to do. The doctor did tell me to get a heel pad to wear in my shoe for the next week which I have also been doing.  today there was no pain at all.  Again I have not done any exercise since last Saturday.  Also, the pain on the bone in the back of the heel is completely gone also.  I think I may have gotten lucky.  I will still not run or bike for the next week but plan on doing some elliptical and swimming.  I hope your heel gets better.
2007-01-26 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Heel pain
Ouch! My heels hurt. Left one only a bit, but the right one started hurting bad enough to make me limp yesterday afternoon.

The mileage last week was only about 10% above the 2 weeks prior (HM the week before was a step-down week) so I don't think the 17 miler on Sat is causing pain on Thursday. 3 easy on Tues and 4 tempo thurs.

I suspect my motorcycle boots (about 3 yrs old) are finally telling me they are worn out. My current running shoes are about 250 miles so I've been planning on getting new ones soon to start breaking them in. I've heard 300-500 miles for shoes, but my last ones started hurting my feet around 220+. Is the life of shoes dependent on the runners weight? I am a big guy (smaller now than a few months ago, but still 205 or so) so should I plan on buying shoes more often?

I iced my heel last night a couple times and then rolled a cold pop can under it this morning for awhile. That seems to make it feel a bit better for awhile.

So I brought some older running shoes to work today and will see how things feel today, but if they still hurt (the feet, not the shoes) I am wondering if I should bail on what was scheduled to be a 19 miler and my longest run before 2/18 marathon. Before my first marathon last October, I did 20 and 22 long runs so I don't think I will be cheating myself out of too much training by skipping (or shortening) this one.

Thoughts? Advice?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sudden heel / back of ankle pain Rss Feed