BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DeCracker's Group ( de tricrackletes) Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-01-21 5:18 AM
in reply to: #655191

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Subject: RE: DeCracker's Group ( de tricrackletes) Full
Right, think I'm ready
* Ask questions and give answers when you can help. We all bring something special to the forum. De Cracker is the smartest man on earth but he's fictional. Russ doesn't have all the answers but he tries.
- A couple of questions - how do I link my plan in with my log?
- I assume that the blogging is just the comment section in the training log - is that right?
* Please log your weight at least once a week. I'll log mine on Tuesday night since I weigh in every Tuesday. I'm right there in the weight loss boat with you.
I weigh in on a Monday night so it'll be Tuesday for me to.
* Promise me that you will diet and exercise. You have to do both to be effective.
Promise!
* Use whatever diet you wish but just resign yourself to the fact that donuts, cakes, candy bars, soft drinks, and all the other "good" stuff is now dietary history. We're gonna be sugar free, low cal, high output tri monsters.
I reserve the right to treat myself occasionally with chocolate - is that O.K?
* Everyone needs a heart rate monitor. I want each of you to spend time each day exercising in your 60% zone. For starters we will consider your max to be 220 minus your age. 60% of max puts you in prime fat burning range and helps develope your aerobic base. 30-60 mins in this range is the minimum.
Will do my best.
* I want to see you all meet your goal which you all have set. How about some milestones? I knew a month ago that I needed to loose 30 pounds. Thats my goal but my milestones are, each 10 pounds, the Hunting Is Adventure race, and a Century ride. I know that by reaching each milestone I will meet my weight loss goal and my goal of a better racing season. btw I'm down 10 lbs despite the holidays.
My milestone at the start of the year was to loose 10lb in 6 weeks - at the moment I stand at 6 1/4 lbs off so I'm doing pretty good.
* OK, get to crackin'!!!
Will do!

2007-01-21 7:18 AM
in reply to: #662113

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.

Kate_r - 2007-01-21 6:18 AM Right, think I'm ready * Ask questions and give answers when you can help. We all bring something special to the forum. De Cracker is the smartest man on earth but he's fictional. Russ doesn't have all the answers but he tries. - A couple of questions - how do I link my plan in with my log? - I assume that the blogging is just the comment section in the training log - is that right? **Yes your blog is the comment section of your training log. If you're having problems linking your plan just pm marmadaddy, he's the ubercomputer guru and I defer all computer questions to him and my teenage kids.

* Please log your weight at least once a week. I'll log mine on Tuesday night since I weigh in every Tuesday. I'm right there in the weight loss boat with you. I weigh in on a Monday night so it'll be Tuesday for me to. * Promise me that you will diet and exercise. You have to do both to be effective. Promise! * Use whatever diet you wish but just resign yourself to the fact that donuts, cakes, candy bars, soft drinks, and all the other "good" stuff is now dietary history. We're gonna be sugar free, low cal, high output tri monsters. I reserve the right to treat myself occasionally with chocolate - is that O.K?** Absolutely as long as it's just a reward. I do it with an occassional chocolate of a glass of wine. All work and no play makes for a routine that really sux. 

* Everyone needs a heart rate monitor. I want each of you to spend time each day exercising in your 60% zone. For starters we will consider your max to be 220 minus your age. 60% of max puts you in prime fat burning range and helps develope your aerobic base. 30-60 mins in this range is the minimum. Will do my best. * I want to see you all meet your goal which you all have set. How about some milestones? I knew a month ago that I needed to loose 30 pounds. Thats my goal but my milestones are, each 10 pounds, the Hunting Is Adventure race, and a Century ride. I know that by reaching each milestone I will meet my weight loss goal and my goal of a better racing season. btw I'm down 10 lbs despite the holidays. My milestone at the start of the year was to loose 10lb in 6 weeks - at the moment I stand at 6 1/4 lbs off so I'm doing pretty good.** Outstanding!! Keep it up. If I get on a good roll with the weight loss I will revise my goal downward. Why? Simply put.. the lighter the butt, the faster the bike and the run. It really is that simple. Just for fun look up the height and weight of world class runners and TDF cyclist. It always amazes me just how small these folks are. They have single digit body fat and we would all benefit if we used body fat% as a gauge instead of weight. But few folks have the means to monitor body fat and sometimes (especially for women) it's just not a realistic or healthy goal.

* OK, get to crackin'!!! Will do!

Kate you're off to a good start.

2007-01-22 3:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
One question, since I found the site last week I'm planning on starting the training plan today the problem is that it only stipulates small amounts of swimming and running yet the challenge set is to do 30 minutes a day - do I increase the plan to the 30 minutes or just follow the plan? I'm a little wary of increasing as it say it has progression built into it but it's also a lot less than I'm doing at the moment. Any advice?
2007-01-22 7:55 AM
in reply to: #662885

User image

Elite
Kate_r - 2007-01-22 4:11 AM One question, since I found the site last week I'm planning on starting the training plan today the problem is that it only stipulates small amounts of swimming and running yet the challenge set is to do 30 minutes a day - do I increase the plan to the 30 minutes or just follow the plan? I'm a little wary of increasing as it say it has progression built into it but it's also a lot less than I'm doing at the moment. Any advice?
Kate  if your current state of fitness AND ability in each discipline exceeds the  plan then you may want to reconsider your plan. If not then I would recommend that you train for the specified times at a MINIMUM. Easy does it. Perhaps challenge yourself by adding some light to moderate workouts to your plan. I would suggest you keep the extra effort in Zone 1 and use the time to build base, strength, and lose weight. I'm a big advocate of the physio ball and core training. This plan is taking you to sprint distance in 4 months. That's four months to be ready for a race that's gonna take less than 1 1/2 hours to complete. Go easy. Concentrate on getting comfortable with the idea of completing the distance, then begin to challenge the clock. Slow and steady but find ways to challenge yourself.
2007-01-22 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Russ, I have a couple of questions. The first is about core training. Just to double check...is that strengthening the abs and back? If so, what is the best way? Yoga? Pilates? Something else?

My next question is about training with the heart rate monitor. Keeping at 60% shouldn't be tough with biking and running, as they're not my strengths. However, I've been swimming for years. I end every workout, and always have, with sprints, which I know raise my heartrate. Do I need to stop doing those? They're my favorite part of the workout. Just wondering! Also, at what point do we start going above 60%? I've been reading Sally Edward's book and she talks about starting training at 60%, but eventually raising it. Just wondered what your thought is on that!

Thanks...and I promise to get more sleep once I'm not up with my sick son! :-(

Joc
2007-01-22 1:18 PM

User image

Elite

Hi Jocelyn. Let me answer your second question first. If you are an experienced and competent swimmer then by all means forget about the HRM and use swim practice as a means to get fitter and faster. But if you're cycling and running at the entry level then please use the HRM. What I'm trying to get you to do is strike a balance between training and weight loss and a very good way to do that is to get you spending time in Zone 1 or 60% HRmax. Within triathlon training we do three different modes of training. We do endurance training, aerobic/anerobic training, and speed training. When you train around 60% you are in your endurance training zone. Here you build your base and you burn a lot of calories from fat.

As far as core training goes, you are right. It is an effort to increase strength from your upper legs to your shoulders and especially your abdomen and back. In enhances balance, strengthens the run and bike and makes you a faster swimmer. Pilates is excellent as is yoga. My YMCA has a core specific workout which is done immediately after step aerobics. That's why my logs always show the two together.  A good simple test of core strength is to sit on the big ball and lift your feet off the floor and see how long you can stay balanced on the ball.  Another is to get in the plank position and see how long you can stay there. Doing light weight dumb bell workouts while balanced on one foot are excellent core exercises. Do bicep, tricep, rows, and shoulder presses while on one foot. Then for the lower core it's crunches and squats. Thousands and thousands of them.

Good luck and train hard.

2007-01-22 1:36 PM
in reply to: #663473

User image

Expert
MA
De Cracker - 2007-01-22 1:18 PM
Then for the lower core it's crunches and squats. Thousands and thousands of them.

Good luck and train hard.

That's going to take some mental adjustment... I spent years training for just one rep. Hours and hours and hours of training to walk (warm) up to a bar and lift the most I possibly could a single time. Nosebleeds, ripped skin, migraines be damned.
2007-01-22 7:12 PM

User image

Elite
Chad you very well may have a level of muscle developement that we can't imagine. What I try to do is no weight or light weight squats with very high reps. Another good drill is to put the old back against the wall now slide down until you mimic sitting in a chair. Hold for as long as possible. Do it 3 times. A lot of runners and cyclist, especially men, have poorly developed adductors, abductors, and glutes. These guys are going to help your quads and hammies get the job done. On a very long ride or run the first muscles to give me problems are my calves and my abductors. I do squats and then I do some work with a heavy band around both ankles. That is my weakness and I work on it. Core work doesn't need heavy weight although I guess you could use them. Your weight lifting background should serve you well in this respect.
2007-01-23 10:13 AM
in reply to: #664056

User image

Expert
MA
De Cracker - 2007-01-22 7:12 PM
Chad you very well may have a level of muscle developement that we can't imagine.

I wouldn't say that! At 218 and 5-10 I'm not only not nearly as big as I was but I wasn't nearly as big as half the guys I trained with either. The adjustments will be all in my head as now I'm just trying to get back to "normal" from the back injuries I've sustained over the last couple of years.

My abductors (medius, probably, hard to tell by feel if it's medius or minimus) are still too tight and throb at the end of the day and my lumbar erectors need to regain both flexibility and strength. That's one of the primary reasons I'm here. I figure losing the weight will reduce stress and workload on the lumbar system and I want to give the "lumbars need endurance over strength" point of view a shot. We're not getting any younger, you know.
2007-01-23 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
I wanted to answer a few swim questions that people left in my training log.

Pyramids are sets where you start low, build up incrementally, then build back down. For example, lately my warm up has been doing 1 lap, 2 laps, 3 laps, 4 laps, 3 laps, 2 laps, 1 lap. In terms of distance, it could be 25 yds, 50 yds, 75 yds, 100 yds, 75 yds, 50 yds, 25 yds. I always love pyramids. It's a fun set and good way to build endurance.

Catch up drills are drills where you only use one arm at a time so that you can focus on each part of the stroke. So, you pull with your right, let it come out of the water and back in front of you, before starting the pull with the left. It feels akward at first, but you can focus on the entire stroke, since only one arm is going at a time!

Hope that helps!
Joc
2007-01-23 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Quick question! I was watching a guy at the fitness room using an elliptical trainer. Does that mimic the motion of running, or not really? Would it be good to build run endurance without the pounding and risk of shin splints, or not?

Thanks!
Joc

2007-01-23 10:44 AM
in reply to: #664738

User image

Expert
MA
sealiongirl - 2007-01-23 10:38 AM

Quick question! I was watching a guy at the fitness room using an elliptical trainer. Does that mimic the motion of running, or not really? Would it be good to build run endurance without the pounding and risk of shin splints, or not?

Thanks!
Joc

I'm going to be using my elliptical for developing the endurance base. Frankly, it's either that or nothing for now, because it's 10 degrees outside and the ground is covered in ice.
2007-01-23 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
OK...I'm bored at work and keep thinking of questions.

So, I should never have chased my daughter, because I now have shin splits! SO MAD AT MYSELF!!! I'm reading online about taking care of it and preventing it. Obviously, no more running. Can I still walk for an hour, or will that aggravate it?

Any ideas???

Thanks,
Joc
2007-01-23 11:15 AM
in reply to: #664811

User image

Expert
MA
sealiongirl - 2007-01-23 11:12 AM

OK...I'm bored at work and keep thinking of questions.

So, I should never have chased my daughter, because I now have shin splits! SO MAD AT MYSELF!!! I'm reading online about taking care of it and preventing it. Obviously, no more running. Can I still walk for an hour, or will that aggravate it?

Any ideas???

Thanks,
Joc

You can definitely still do water work, even if it's just walking back and forth in a pool.
2007-01-25 12:00 PM

User image

Elite

Cracker's Gettin' Mo Better tips

• As you continue to lose weight, you want to periodically check your bike fit and make adjustments. Your seat height will change as your "seat" size decreases.
  • Lat pulldowns and tricep extensions are excellent weight exercises for swimming.
  • The number of chin ups or dips you can do is not only an indicator of your strength but also a good gauge of your body fat. As your body fat percentage decreases your ability to do these exercises will skyrocket.
  • One of the great things about tri training is the solitude that it can offer. Use this time as "your" time and enjoy this time alone as an escape from the daily grind as well as your training . The result..a good workout that leaves you mentally and emotionally refreshed.
  • Mix it up. Swim, bike, run, and add core work, weight training, and don't forget to devote time to the study of triathlon, fitness, weight loss, and health.

Keep up the good work Tricrackletes. All of you are training, working out, and losing weight. Let's train hard and race easy.

2007-01-27 8:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Hi Guys and Gals,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the good comments and positive vibes I've got from you this week. I've had a hard week at work with 14-16 hours days so little time left for anything else. It really makes me smile to find that people have chipped in with comments either here or on the log. Also if I'm erally feeling like making excuses for not training it's tha fact that I'd have to explain myself to you all that keeps me going. So thanks!

Kate

2007-01-28 8:48 PM

Wisconsin
Hey Cracker and Group just a quick question. While walk/run I can keep my heart rate down at the 116 point. I can't for the life of me keep it down on the bike it seems to be going at about 135 minimum at a cadence between 88-90. Should I adjust my cadence down or continue at the higher heart rate?
2007-01-28 9:42 PM
in reply to: #670763

User image

Elite
Aquilor - 2007-01-28 9:48 PM Hey Cracker and Group just a quick question. While walk/run I can keep my heart rate down at the 116 point. I can't for the life of me keep it down on the bike it seems to be going at about 135 minimum at a cadence between 88-90. Should I adjust my cadence down or continue at the higher heart rate?
Yes,to both questions. You will need to get used to a higher cadence but you also need to spent some time in base training. Are you keeping the pedal pressure light at the higher cadence? Don't be too concerned about speed just get the rpms up around 80 and keep the pedal light. However, if this cadence is causing you to gasp or breathe heavy enough to interupt normal speaking then you need to slow up. Joe, I'm just the opposite. My HR is lowest on the bike but skyrockets on the run. Redlining your heart is best left for love and bungee jumping. No need for it at this time. Are you riding hills?

Edited by De Cracker 2007-01-28 9:43 PM
2007-01-29 8:14 AM

Wisconsin
It's not causing me to gasp or anything actually the cadence felt about natural (I was normally going 80-85) how ever in the lightest gear I couldn't get my HR down, However I could comfortably hold a conversation. At this time I'm on a bike trainer, at least until the weather cooperates a little more.

Edited by Aquilor 2007-01-29 8:18 AM
2007-01-29 8:22 AM
in reply to: #670822

User image

Expert
MA
De Cracker - 2007-01-28 9:42 PM
Redlining your heart is best left for love and bungee jumping.

Heh. It wasn't too long ago that I used to pop smelling salts to intentionally get to what felt like 120% without the fatigue it took to get there.
2007-01-29 9:03 AM

User image

Elite
Hey Chad if you get that hyped up over your first tri just make sure I'm not in front of you on the swim. You'll certainly run me over and leave me gasping in your wake.

2007-01-29 9:10 AM
in reply to: #671097

User image

Expert
MA
De Cracker - 2007-01-29 9:03 AM

Hey Chad if you get that hyped up over your first tri just make sure I'm not in front of you on the swim. You'll certainly run me over and leave me gasping in your wake.

Yeah, and then 50 yards from the starting line I'll be face down for the rest of the afternoon. Forcing a "fight or flight" that way doesn't last much more than 30 seconds and is really draining.
2007-01-30 12:17 AM
in reply to: #671015

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Aquilor,

I'm the same way. Run stays low, bike skyrockets. I was riding into the wind and couldn't for the life of my get my HR down to where it should be! I haven't worn my monitor yet for the swim, so we'll see how that goes!

Edited by sealiongirl 2007-01-30 12:18 AM
2007-01-30 8:11 AM

User image

I'm reading all this stuff about heart rates with a lot of interest and some confusion.  I've been diligent about wearing my heart rate monitor and trying to keep my HR below 135; but I don't really understand why.  If, as others have mentioned happens to them, I'm not out of breath when I go above 135, why should I worry about it?  I'm not running yet, just walking with a little job thrown in for good measure, so I can't compare the running and biking; but I know that I was pushing 150 while biking the other day, but I felt fine breathing-wise.  I did notice one thing interesting though (at least to me!).  When I would exceed the 135ish point, I'd feel it in my legs.  So I understand that there is something going on, but I don't know enough about exercise physiology to appreciate what I'm doing to my body and what the consequences are. 

Oh, and I think I just realized why I don't get out of breath--would any of you believe that I'm long-winded? : )

Hope you're all having great days!

Pogo 

2007-01-30 9:30 AM

User image

Elite

Wendy you bring up an excellent point/points. We aren't the same. What's aerobic/anerobic for me is not for you. Your biking HR is 150 and your breathing is fine but suddenly you start to notice the exertion of your legs. Next time take careful note of your body and see if about the same time you start to notice your legs that if maybe you're also breathing just a bit deeper, breathing with a more open mouth, or just periodically taking an extra deep breath. You won't be winded but you are beginning to enter the aerobic threshold. This is excellent because although it's not where the "strictly weight loss" person would want to be , it is where you want to spend a lot of your training.  Would you say that if you increase your HR to 160 or 170 you would have to "open mouth breathe"?

OK for those of you using a HRM while biking let's do a little fun test.

• Pedal easy for 10 minutes and take note of your HR 
  • OK now lets take it to 135 for 2 mins. What does your legs feel? How are you breathing?
  • OK let's take it to 150 for 2 mins. How are your legs? How are you breathing?
  • OK let's change to a harder gear and get the HR up to 175-180 with a cadence of 80-90. After 30 seconds how do you legs feel? How are you breathing?
  • OK now for the finale. I want you to take it to 90-100%HRmax. Be in a big gear with a sustained cadence over 75rpms, preferably over 85. Now what is happening with your body? Are your legs burning? Are your legs weak? Are you gasping?
  • Cool down with easy pedal for 10 mins.

No I'm not trying to kill you. I want you to see the relationship to HR/muscle use/ lactic acid/ oxygen/ CO2.

All of these are intermingled and no two of us have the same response. We can all improve them by training but each in our own way.

One important point though that I want you to tell me, when you were at max exertion what was the limiting factor? Was it you legs, your lungs, or your heart? The answer will give you a great sense of which direction you training emphasis should follow.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DeCracker's Group ( de tricrackletes) Full Rss Feed  

of 6