BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DeCracker's Group ( de tricrackletes) Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-02-09 8:47 AM
in reply to: #655191

User image

Expert
MA
Subject: RE: DeCracker's Group ( de tricrackletes) Full

Could be either, but if you're suddenly spending a lot of time on any seat you do have an adjustment period. Especially if you're heavy.

2007-02-09 7:41 PM
in reply to: #684970

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.

Aquilor - 2007-02-09 9:42 AM Hey group, I was just wondering if it takes a while to get used to bike seats? On both my bikes the seat seems to be uncomfortable after a few minutes is this something I just need to get used to again, or should I be looking for different seat?
It will be OK. Just make sure it's adjusted properly. Your sit bones will quickly get accustomed to the seat. Now as you ride longer you may experience some discomfort. This is probably related to leg strength and not your seat. As your leg strength improves the pain will subside. A lot of the pressure of your butt on the seat is held by your legs as they pedal. As your legs tire they hold less of your weight and thus you have more butt pressure on the seat. This leads to discomfort. It's all self correcting. As you ride more your strength improves and your weight goes down. It's a double win.

Train hard...race easy

2007-02-09 9:53 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
I used to get pain ALL THE TIME. Then I finally followed the steps to fit my bike just right and now it's great! Definitely check the fit. Good Luck!
2007-02-14 7:36 PM

User image

Elite
OK peeps, it's time to check in. Please let me know how it's going, especially the weight loss and the training.
2007-02-14 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
MA

45 minutes a night on the elliptical, saturday is a long workout with varying methods. Cardio is really coming along. I used to be way up in the 160s towards the end of my 45 minutes... now I'm still in the high 130s at that point.
2007-02-14 9:13 PM

Wisconsin
Hey Cracker, Weightloss is going good I'm down to 309.5 which would be my first milestone! Training so far is going well, my distance has really increased and I'm finding the running easier and easier. The biking is still a pain in the butt, but getting better.

2007-02-14 9:56 PM

User image

Missed a lot of time for being sick and having Steve out of town (he'll be out again all week next week); but started working out with the Try-a-Tri group at the Y. Group swims will be good for me, as will the other planned activities including many, many group bricks and a transition clinic. A little frustrated with time limitations right now, but doing the best I can. Oh, one good note--Coach Vicky timed us for the 100m swim on Tuesday and I did it easy in 1:47 (without fins!). I'm hoping this means I'm well on my way to my goal of 300 in 6 min for the Riverwood.
2007-02-14 10:06 PM

User image

Expert
MA

What is Group Bricks?
2007-02-14 10:34 PM

User image

Bricks are when you run immediately after biking (or reverse brick --> biking after running) named because your legs feel like bricks when you get off your bike (or so I've been told--I haven't done one yet unless you count jumping off my bike to chase after one of the kids!).  The coach at the Y has set up a series of bricks for us and some of them we'll do as a group, thus, group bricks.  I've been reading that this is a really critical part of training for a triathlon so that you're used to that sensation and don't overlengthen your stride initially (which is apparently one's natural inclination).  Maybe you know all that about bricks already and the "group" thing just threw you.  I didn't know any of this two-three weeks ago!
2007-02-14 10:45 PM

User image

Expert
MA

Didn't know that... I don't know much about endurance sports yet.
2007-02-15 5:47 AM

User image

Elite

OK it looks like you're doing really well. Continue to strive to get smaller. Less weight = fast bike and fast run and less injuries. Trust me on this as I am living proof. Pogo if you can do a 1:47/100 then you are probably in the top 30% of BT swimmers. Now can you hold that pace for 500/750 or 1500 meters? Brick training is essential prior to participating in a tri of any type. I've never had a prblem with transitioning from swim to bike but everyone has to learn to go from bike to run. When it's cold here we do our bricks  indoors at the Y. Put on your tri suit, swim for 20-30 minutes, jump out, grab your towel and dry off as you dash to the spin room. Have your bike shoes there and jump on and start riding. Ride for 10-12 minutes. Jump off and head to the treadmill. After changing shoes run for a mile. Jump off and head back to the bike. Do this 3 times. No need to go back to the pool just do the bike/run sequence. Essentially the swim should have gotten your HR up and it will accustom you to being wet on the bike. After a few of these try swimming for 30 minutes. Jump on the spin bike for 45 minutes. Head to the treadmill for a 3 mile run. You'll love it. Of course if the weather is nice just park your bike outside the pool. If you have a bike trainer then you can take it to a local high school track and do some great brick workouts.

You guys are doing great so keep it up.

Train hard........race easy.

Edited by De Cracker 2007-02-15 5:49 AM

2007-02-15 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
MA

Man, I could never do that at the Y here... I'd get out of the pool, head to the bikes and stand around for 20 minutes waiting for one, then when I got off stand around another 15 minutes waiting for a treadmill. That's *if* I was able to get in the pool in the first place. Seems the only time you can get a lane with less than 3 people in it is 5:30am.
2007-02-15 9:11 AM

User image

The Y here is pretty crowded, too, but the worst part is that, as best I can tell, you actually have to go outside to get from the pool to the gym!  I haven't found out yet whether we're allowed to use the rest of the gym since I'm not a member yet, but it is a bit of a deterrant!
2007-02-15 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
MA

Ours has an indoor and an outdoor pool. Obviously, in MA, you can only use the outdoor pool for a small part of the year. They make such heavy use of the indoor pool that often there are only 1-2 lanes available if there are any. People have no common sense, either, when using them. I have been in one alone and had 4 other people join me. What the hell makes someone think that 5 people can function in one lane? 3 is too many.
2007-02-15 6:31 PM

User image

Here's a question for you.  I hear all this stuff about this magic number 90 for cadence both in cycling and running.  I don't get it.  A cadence of 90 seems REALLY fast to me.  I know I'm slow, but my comfortable cadence is 75, and I'm still cycling right around 15 miles an hour which seems pretty good to me.  Am I doing something wrong?  If I am, is it possible I'm venturing into the anaerobic realm instead of staying lighter (meaning higher cadence/smaller gear) and aerobic?
2007-02-15 8:58 PM
in reply to: #692402

User image

Elite

It is common to hear folks suggest that your cycling cadence be between 85-95. I find that a little fast as I'm comfortable around 80. I personally think a more important question is "How long can you maintain the cadence and can you run afterwards"?  Strive for the 80-90 but don't burn out trying to get there. Are you using a computer with a cadence function or are you timing your strokes. It's important to accurately assess your rate as a lot of folks overestimate their cadence. They think they're doing 90-100 when in reality they're averaging about 70. The trainer or the spinning room is the place to practice cadence, as you can experiment without the concerns of road hazards or traffic. Keep the tension light and just spin perfect circles. If you cycle to music then choose your music carefully. You can download specific music to match your cadence. I believe most aerobics music is around 60-80. Chris Carmichael has some outstading downloads. I use them. They are about 10 bucks a download but they are specific training composites with a lot of coaching info and music tailored to proper cadence. I like them a lot. Most are around an hour to an hour and a half workouts and trust me, they will kick your butt but you will become a better rider. Beware of the over simplistic training advice. Too often we simply like to say"ride lots", a phrase the great Eddie Merck use to use when asked for advice. It's good advice if your a gifted athlete in top condition. For the rest of us,  it's specific drills, riding miles and miles, and sweat. Don't overlook the importance of your weight. Weight is relatively unimportant on flat terrain but the second you hit the incline then every additional ounce slows you down.

Now you definitely want to spin fast and stay aerobic. Pedaling too slow either limits your speed or forces you into a bigger gear which trashes your legs. Remember the connection between muscle exertion, HR, lactic acid, pain, etc. Spin fast but spin light and stay aerobic.

Tell me a little more about your rides. Tell me the terrain and the weather.  There's nothing wrong with 15mph but you always want to get faster. A good goal is to average 18-20 for 10 miles but again if you're riding in very hilly terrain or a lot of traffic then your 15 could mean that you're a much better rider than your speed reflects. Please tell me more about your rides and how you feel afterwards.

2007-02-15 9:39 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Just checking in. A week ago I would have said things were going great. My swim is still strong. I'm doing about 3/4 of the distance I need for the tri easy right now. I should time my 100, though I'd be depressed to compare it to what it was in my lean, mean high school days! My bike is going well. I have done 9.2 miles...close to the 11 I need to do and felt strong after. My runs are improving. I have been doing 3 3-minute runs with 7 minutes of walking between. I still have a long way to go, but am doing well and the shins are good (knock on wood). Weights are going well. Was able to increase the weight on several machines last week.

Then this week hit. Last week was busy and I missed a few days. Got even busier with my daughter's birthday and missed this weekend. Then I got sick. I'm very frustrated.

As far as weight...I've lost over 17 pounds (over 5% of my body weight...so far). However, this week I only lost .6, which was frustrating. Probably due to the lack of training. But...it is still a loss, just not enough of one for me.

So...minor bump in the otherwise good road!

I almost forgot...I was planning to join the L.A. Tri club this summer, as they have a ton of great activities, including open water swims about a mile from my house. I found out that on March 1 they are having a social event in my town, so I may go. I'm a bit intimidated. I have yet to do a triathlon and hardly look the part, but I'm hoping to get the guts to go out and meet some of the members that night. We'll see!
2007-02-15 10:02 PM

User image

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.  Here's a little more info about my recent rides.  I've been indoors on a stationary bike with settings that make it feel like I'm going up and down hills.  As I mentioned, my HR was way up on my ride today and took longer to go down than I feel is typical for me.  I was probably a little dehydrated, and certainly tired, but the ride itself wasn't bad.  I was mostly trying to keep at a steady cadence.  I kept it right around 75 the whole time, except for a few really easy parts (akin to flat terrain I guess) where I took it up around 90.  I had gone up to 160 (HR) at the end of the ride (big "hills" and still working around 75 cadence).  It took a five minute cooldown to get my HR down to 130.  The idea was to get my HR down before I finished up with a quick run around the indoor track.  I was slightly winded from the bike ride.  My legs were tired, but not completely worn out. 

Not sure what else I can tell you.  I'm not in great cardiovascular shape, so I'm not too surprised by being winded.  I don't know whether I posted it here or on my blog, but I also found out last week that I have asthma and my lungs are working at about 75% capacity.  I'm hoping I'll have a bit easier time with everything once that's responded to meds.  If  20 mph is a good goal, then it's going to take me a little while longer to get there!  But then, when I do, I'm gonna be super proud of myself!

Now, not trying to hog all your time, but do you have any suggestions about the running thing?  At this point, that's what's really kicking my butt.  I forgot to ask the PT today if I should be running with my brace.  My ankle's bothering me a little bit, but I'm wondering if  that may have something to do with the transition between pedalling and runnng.  I'm not sure I'm extending my legs far enough on the stationary bike (I think my bike's OK) and that that's causing me to pedal differently.  I'll take my bike out tomorrow or Sunday and see if I feel the same thing coming off the bike and running a little that I do when I come off the stationary bike.  I'm worried because I'm feeling it in my shins, too, and I don't want to get those dreaded shin splints I'm hearing about!

And no doubt losing weight would be a help.  I'm almost 1/3 doughnut according to the bodyfat analysis I had done on Tuesday!  I'm hanging around 140-145 right now and am not really sure what a realistic healthy weight would be.  I was a string bean through college (around 105), then marriage and kids got me.  I was WAY too skinny at 105, but probably OK around 120, so if I add in some extra muscle, it seems like 130 might be reasonable?  Any good way to gauge?

Thanks for any additional feedback!  I'm really enjoying this new lifestyle! 

2007-02-15 10:07 PM
in reply to: #692502

User image

sealiongirl--I know I don't really know much about this stuff, but it sounds like you're doing great to me! 

I really encourage you to go to that social.  Everybody there, EVERYBODY, had to start at the beginning.  And if you go, and they're a bunch of losers (i.e., not welcoming and accepting), it's not as though you have to join! 

Thanks for being a good inspiration. 

2007-02-16 3:05 AM
in reply to: #692502

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
sealiongirl - 2007-02-16 3:39 AM
Then this week hit. Last week was busy and I missed a few days. Got even busier with my daughter's birthday and missed this weekend. Then I got sick. I'm very frustrated.

There will always be times like this where things get on top of you. Try not to be too hard on yourself - it doesn't really achieve anything - and stick to your plans when you get back into it. Focussing on what you can do rather than what you can't will keep you heading towards your goal. Sometimes there has to be some give so take heart and stay certain that, when you can, you get back into it all.
2007-02-21 8:54 AM

User image

Elite
OK peeps I only lost a pound last week so it's two a day visits to the Y or the road or the whatever it takes to get two workouts a day in until I have a breakthrough on the weight loss. Hope everyone continues to improve and get ready for spring time events. Before you know it there will be plenty of runs and rides so let's be ready. I downloaded a new Chris Carmichael cycling workout and did it Sunday. It's a climbing workout and it was tough. Sure hope this stuff works.

2007-02-21 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
MA

Quick update:

Still working hard, getting incremental heartrate results, slowly losing a bit of weight. I'm sticking with my plan but have been too busy with work and kids to both keep the workouts and log them here. Hopefully I'll be able to update the training logs in the next couple of days.
2007-02-21 9:11 PM

Wisconsin
me too Chad if I had time I logged the workouts, but there are a couple workouts that didn't get logged due to scheduling (and then remembering what I did)!
2007-02-22 6:09 PM

User image

I have an appointment with a bike fitter tomorrow to see if there's anything I can do with my old bike. After riding it again, I'm certain the reach is too short. I also hate having the shifters on the frame instead of on the handlebars. So now I'm thinking about new bikes. I don't enjoy riding on the road beside cars, and there aren't alot of paved paths around here, so my mtn. bike may be the best way to go. However, I don't use my mtn. bike for mtn. biking anyway. I may ride off road through a field or go over big bumps along a gravel path, but I don't actually bike down any mountains or even any especially rough hills. I'm wondering if there's something in between a racing bike and a mtn. bike that would be better than either option I have at the moment. I REALLY like the extra speed I have on the road bike, so that's a big selling point, but if I wanted only one bike, it would have to be something that could go offroad as well, which I wouldn't be able to do with little skinny wheels. I'm just thinking maybe I can sell both bikes and get enough to put a dent in the price of a new bike.

Any ideas?

Also, I'm intrigued by the STI brake/gear set up where the shifter and break are all put in there together. Any comments on that would be appreciated too, as I'm still kinda hoping there's some way to make my old bike work so I don't have to either race on my mtn. bike or spend the money on a new bike) and that I could just put on new shifters.

Bla, bla, bla!

Hope you're all doing well!

Edited by pogogirl 2007-02-22 8:52 PM
2007-02-22 9:40 PM

Wisconsin
Not to much to add but I have the shimano 105 shifter (they are like the STI) and I LOVE them!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DeCracker's Group ( de tricrackletes) Full Rss Feed  

of 6