BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DeCracker's Group ( de tricrackletes) Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-03-17 8:33 AM
in reply to: #655191

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Subject: RE: DeCracker's Group ( de tricrackletes) Full
Sealion girl, if it's any consolation you're not alone. There's be charity homebaking run at work this week and even though I contributed apples I still ended up eaing far more than I should have. So the up shot is that I'm trying really hard to pull back this weekend but don't want to go overboard as I don't want to end up too hungry and then tempted to each too much. So if the scales go the wrong way I know why and maybe I'll take the week off next time!

2007-03-17 9:58 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
The weight is doing better tonight. Of course, haven't weighed since the pizza I had for dinner! Ha! I do definitely work on hydration. I have gotten several kidney stones over the last few years due in part to the fact that I don't hydrate enough. Mostly, I just forget, but I'm trying to get better.

By the way, I joined the L.A. Tri Club. I'm excited to start going to some events and maybe even group training. Should be fun!
2007-03-23 6:53 AM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.

Hope all my fantastic tri training peeps are well and enjoying the benefits of Daylight Savings Time. Nothing like extra time to train.

Sorry I haven't posted much lately but like you all I've been busier than a one legged man in an azz kickin' contest. Work's been hectic, both boys playing varsity baseball (can't miss a game), family, and training doesn't leave much time.

Did the PI Sprint and have the Cooper River Bridge Run next weekend. Hope your season is off to a great start. Let us hear about it.

2007-03-26 3:00 PM
in reply to: #734208

User image

Howdy--

Just checking in.  I enjoyed my time in Florida with the folks and kids.  Was able to squeeze in two bike rides.  One was through Fl's newest state park--it's a cattle farm and has an enormous lake simply swimming with alligators.  We stood out on this little bitty dock counting heads--BIG heads--until we realized we'd be cornered if one of them decided to visit the dock, too!

Bad news is, I think I'm out of the race this go-round.  My ankle's just not getting better.  I can't really even do the exercises my PT prescribed.  Not really sure what to do at this point.  Thinking maybe I could still swim and bike the sprint and just not do the run part--not much of a triathlon, but better than I couldv'e done last year this time!

Frustrated as all get out. 

Sorry for ranting!  Certainly hope everyone else is doing well.  

Good job on the sprint, Cracker, and good luck next weekend! 

2007-03-26 10:45 PM

Wisconsin
I'm also checking in. Work has been busier than heck the last month, however just to make sure I got training in the past couple of weeks I've been biking to work and back!
2007-03-26 11:19 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Hi everyone! I'm doing OK...but feel like I'm slacking on training. Could be that either me, my husband, or one of the kids has been sick on any given day lately. I also think part of it is this time of year. I'm not a big fan of March...no holidays...crappy weather...getting burnt out at work. Plus, I'm realizing that a year was a LONG time to train for a sprint. I thought I needed it because of my weight. However, I can do the full swim and bike, and most of the run. Feasibly, I could do a sprint now and a stronger one this summer. But, I really want Long Beach to be my first, since it is my home and the race that inspired me to do this. However, I get frustrated thinking I have to go 6 more months until a race! Yes, I could start sooner, but I so want my first tri to be this one. I don't know.

2007-03-27 2:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Hi Sealion girl, when you say you can almost 'do' the run does that mean on it's own. Do you, or does anyone else have any ideas on if I should try to do the whole thing before th actual tri or just go for the distances individually and put them together on the day?
2007-03-27 6:53 AM

User image

Elite

A key training workout for preparation (phys and mental) is the brick. Whether it's swim/bike or bike/run, you need to get some brick work in before race day. There are differing strategies. One is the brick based on time, whereas you would bike for 20 minutes and run for 30 minutes. And the other is distance, whereas you would swim for 750 meters and bike for 12 miles. Either way make sure you do them, both types, and more than once.

Not only will bricks teach you how your body will react when going from one discipline to another, but you can also practice transitions (free time savings) and get in some longer workouts. Your first sprint may take you between 1:15-1:40 to complete. You need to make sure you're up to that length of time. Also practice your hydration. Caloric intake isn't such a big deal during sprints but hydration is always very important.

Sometimes I'll do a practice tri without going outdoors. After swimming in the pool at our Y, I'll jump out of the pol and head for the spin room.  After 40 minutes on the bike I'll dash over to the treadmill for 5K. Just have a towel and your bike shoes and running shoes handy and you're set.

Good luck, hope this helps.

2007-03-27 8:29 PM
in reply to: #738096

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Kate_r - 2007-03-27 12:55 AM

Hi Sealion girl, when you say you can almost 'do' the run does that mean on it's own. Do you, or does anyone else have any ideas on if I should try to do the whole thing before th actual tri or just go for the distances individually and put them together on the day?

Actually, I think I could run a full 3 miles right now, but fear for my shins. Since I'm prone to shin splints I have to increase gradually. I'm doing 7 minute runs, followed by 3 minute walks. Not bad considering I only ran a single minute back in November and none prior to that.

I think you should start doing bricks at some point, like Cracker said. Also, I plan to do a few full bricks with all three events about a month before. I don't think I'll do the full distances, but maybe. We'll see. I mostly want to practice transitions and get a feel for how it feels to do the events back to back.
2007-03-29 12:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
A quick update and a plea for help.

I'm gone and done it and I'm in! I've signed up for a Tri - only a novice one so 400M swim, 10.5 Km bike and 2.5 Km but it's one of the biggest challenges I've faced!!
Go ME!

On the down side I'm experiencing pain when I run outside or anything longer than 15 minutes. I've googled and it looks like it's like to be a result of my weak back and core muscles. So I really, really need to wokr on these. How you can help is that if you're ever passing by and commenting on my log could you do me a favor and gently remind me of this. I'm really good at getting my training done and really bad about doing my core and knee exercises so I figure anything will help!

Thanks in advance, now .. off for a swim!
2007-03-29 12:50 PM
in reply to: #741835

User image

Way to go Kate!

2007-03-30 3:41 AM
in reply to: #741835

User image

Elite
Describe the pain. How does it start? Where? Does it stop when you stop? Are you walking, running or jogging? Does cycling or swimming cause you pain? Please tell more, inquiring minds want to know.
2007-04-02 11:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
'Describe the pain. How does it start? Where? Does it stop when you stop? Are you walking, running or jogging? Does cycling or swimming cause you pain? Please tell more, inquiring minds want to know.'

O.K. pain is internal by the joint, sharp by not like a needle pain more like stretching/sqeezing a ligament. It comes on when I jog (I don't really run - too slow/unfit for that). On the treadmill it feels like my leg is about to give way although I'm not sure if that's a reaction to the sharp pain or some other effect. Outside (pavement) it's more painfull and in the same place but I don't get the collapsing effect so much.

I can walk at a fast pace 6.4- 7.2 km/hr at an incline up to 7 on the treadmill over a sustained period (I've tried up to 50 minutes) with no pain at all. I have no hip pain at all when I cycle (but I do get some lower back pain if I'm in one position too long) and no pain at all if I swim so the hip pain is _only_ when I jog.

Any ideas you may have would be great.
2007-04-03 6:48 AM

User image

Elite
You really need to see a PT for this. It would seem that any sort of injury related pain would present on any exertion not just jogging. So this is motion specific to jogging. Could be anything from differing leg lengths, old dislocations or strains/sprains. Could be that some orthotics will fix you right up and have you jogging pain free. Good luck.
2007-04-11 3:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
How's everyone doing? Just been through some of the logs and there's not a lot of positing going on? Is everyone still Tri'ing?
2007-04-18 8:38 PM

User image

Elite
OK time to wake up and let me know how it's going.

2007-04-18 9:47 PM

Wisconsin
Hi Cracker,

Now that the flu is gone I'm feeling a million times better. I went running again today and noticed a serious loss of fitness for the week and half I ended up not training. However, now I'm back at it and I think its time to start doing some two a days. To help get a couple extra pounds off my big 275 pound butt.

Also I am looking forward to biking to work again (with improving weather). Its a 20 miles round trip, the way to work is a hard uphill ride that takes a lot of energy. It kicks my butt quite a bit, however the ride home is nice and relaxing cruise. It feels good to be able to get some of the days frustrations out on the pedals.

Hope your training is going well!
2007-04-19 1:09 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Hello! Things here are going pretty well. My weight is still hovering around 25 pounds lost. I need to kick start it back up again.

My training is going so-so. I feel strong, but I am able to do my race distances much sooner than I would have thought. I still have five months until the race, and can do more than I thought. I'm slacking on training and I shouldn't be. Once again...need to kick start it back up.

That being said...I ran thirty minutes today. I know...no biggy. But for me it is. Six months ago I could barely run for one minute. Now it is thirty. I was stoked!

Hope everyone else is well!
2007-04-23 8:31 PM
in reply to: #767678

User image

Elite

Aquilor - 2007-04-18 10:47 PM Hi Cracker, Now that the flu is gone I'm feeling a million times better. I went running again today and noticed a serious loss of fitness for the week and half I ended up not training. However, now I'm back at it and I think its time to start doing some two a days. To help get a couple extra pounds off my big 275 pound butt. Also I am looking forward to biking to work again (with improving weather). Its a 20 miles round trip, the way to work is a hard uphill ride that takes a lot of energy. It kicks my butt quite a bit, however the ride home is nice and relaxing cruise. It feels good to be able to get some of the days frustrations out on the pedals. Hope your training is going well!

You need to really appreciate those hills. They are so important in your bike and run training. I drove over an hour Sun morning just to ride some small rolling hills. I need a lot more hill raining so I'll be driving a lot this summer just to find a few. Keep up the good work man. You're doing great.

2007-04-23 8:38 PM
in reply to: #767821

User image

Elite

sealiongirl - 2007-04-19 2:09 AM Hello! Things here are going pretty well. My weight is still hovering around 25 pounds lost. I need to kick start it back up again. My training is going so-so. I feel strong, but I am able to do my race distances much sooner than I would have thought. I still have five months until the race, and can do more than I thought. I'm slacking on training and I shouldn't be. Once again...need to kick start it back up. That being said...I ran thirty minutes today. I know...no biggy. But for me it is. Six months ago I could barely run for one minute. Now it is thirty. I was stoked! Hope everyone else is well!

Isn't it great to think back where you were as compared to where you are now with your training. Think about how great it will be in 6 months or a year or 2 years. Even at my age I still look to the future for improvement. It has such a positive effect on other aspects of your life. I really hope those closest to you can see and appreciate the changes you are experiencing. I know the weight loss is tough, it's so tough for me too. But I keep trying. I slide back and then I go forward. But I keep trying. Check yourself in the mirror every day, right out of the shower is a good time. Then ask yourself, "Am I there yet?", "Could I look even better?", and keep plugging away until you can honestly answer "YES!!!".

2007-04-23 8:58 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
People around me are starting to notice the weight loss. It has mostly been people who don't see me daily. It's those who saw me a few months ago that are seeing the difference. I looked at a recent picture of me, and one taken in December and I can see it. That's cool.

Also, my husband was apparently inspired by me. Though he's not training, he went over two months without drinking. Good to know it wasn't an addiction, as I was scared it could be. He now has a drink on special occasions, but that's a huge change over the many he used to have daily. He's dropped 25 pounds just from doing that, and looks better. Kind of cool.

2007-04-26 2:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Tough week this week - lots of stress, lots of work, injured elbow and no time for the gym as yet. Hopefully this will change this weekend.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DeCracker's Group ( de tricrackletes) Full Rss Feed  

of 6